What are you high?
0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Spender or saver?

Old 03-29-21, 06:12 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 260 Likes on 227 Posts
Spender or saver?

Simple question. When you have the money are you more likely to spend it or save it or both, but leaning more one way?

Now, for me, with increased income, I seem to want to get everything on my lists. I have nothing in Blu-ray wishlist on Amazon.
But, I have also been thinking about future and while nothing immediately is changing, I still have in thought. But, Iím still buying. Itís like compulsion. Whether it be blus, video games, digital stuff, some books, electronic/entertainment stuff. I do buckle down when need be however. So hopefully just phase.

How bout you? Whatís the story...
Old 03-29-21, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 168 Likes on 149 Posts
Re: Spender or saver?

A spender but I try to be a saver and probably now will be with less money coming in.

Old 03-29-21, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 252 Likes on 188 Posts

I save so I can spend.
Old 03-29-21, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

I save, so that I don't have to rely on government handouts as a bailout panacea. So should everyone else!
Old 03-29-21, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm on a site dedicated to amassing large movie collections. So, spender.
The following users liked this post:
JeffTheAlpaca (03-30-21)
Old 03-29-21, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

My retirement's fully funded, so anything extra gets spent.
Old 03-29-21, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts

I don't buy anything on credit. If I want something, I save for it. I like new toys, but I hate spending money. I received my final 401K payment in January, so all I have to look forward to is Social Security. I paid $4,000 for a bike a few weeks ago. It took several moments to hit the enter key.
Old 03-29-21, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 292 Likes on 180 Posts

I'm more of a saver and my wife more of a spender. Although I do splurge sometimes. Was in Costco and bought a bag of Pistachios even though I still had 1/4 of a bag left! So, as you can see, I do get completely out of control sometimes.
The following 2 users liked this post by General Zod:
funkyryno (05-11-21), Nesbit (04-08-21)
Old 03-29-21, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
I don't buy anything on credit. If I want something, I save for it. I like new toys, but I hate spending money. I received my final 401K payment in January, so all I have to look forward to is Social Security. I paid $4,000 for a bike a few weeks ago. It took several moments to hit the enter key.
Yes, they key is to know what you really need, save for it, and not make impulsive purchases. Your strategy is an exemplary one to follow. If occasionally you have a "want" carefully think it through and make sure the purchase will actually be valuable and worthwhile in enriching your life.
Norm de Plume (03-29-21)
Old 03-29-21, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm a horrible spender. Classic case of the more I make, the more I spend. I'm a lot better now than I was in my 30s, but it has still put me in a position where I have less flexibility in my life than I should have at this age.
spainlinx0 (03-30-21)
Old 03-29-21, 09:44 PM

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I invest.

But I need to ask the OP; did you just get your first job or something?
Old 03-29-21, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Iím a saver and the only non-essential purchases I make monthly are Hulu Live and Netflix.

There are a few odd (inexpensive) things Iíll buy throughout the year, but for the most part, my money goes towards bills and groceries.

Last edited by MLBFan24; 03-29-21 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-29-21, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 596 Likes on 426 Posts

Iím more of a saver but with three young kids itís not very easy. Every once in a while I get in a spending mood but rarely, if ever, pull the trigger on anything very big.

Usually when I get the itch to spend, Iíll think about the amount of clutter I DONíT want to have and it pushes down that urge. Lately, Iíve been able to do that a lot with Blu-rays. Keeps me from buying stuff I donít really need.
Old 03-30-21, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 207 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
I'm a horrible spender. Classic case of the more I make, the more I spend. I'm a lot better now than I was in my 30s, but it has still put me in a position where I have less flexibility in my life than I should have at this age.
This sounds a lot like me. I do have some credit card debt (nothing crushing), but I've started really paying that down. I can see that light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 03-30-21, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 910 Likes on 680 Posts

I spend most of my money on streaming services (all tax deductible for my profession)

and international vacations when I am able to take them. Taking a nice and relaxing 2 week vacation overseas is what I'm passionate about and I don't mind spending the money to have a good time. As I have gotten older, saving money for a nice vacation brings me much more gratification than owning something "new" physically.

I'm not the best saver of money. But, I have cut back a lot on frivolous spending like buying physical media I don't need. I used to buy a lot of music and CDs back in the day, but I haven't bought music really at all anymore.

One thing I promised myself is that I wouldn't develop a Pop collection habit and luckily I only own like 13 total. I know some have hundreds if not thousands. And I don't buy every movie I saw or I want to see on digital. This an easy waste of hundreds of dollars every month.

All I know is when I do retire, I plan to be splitting my time between the U.S. and Asia and living the good life.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-30-21 at 01:45 AM.
Old 03-30-21, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 168 Likes on 149 Posts

I have maybe 150K in the bank in a mutual fund.

Is that enough or too small?

Once I get a house and another car I will be more thrifty
Old 03-30-21, 08:49 AM
Admin

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts

We spend less than what we pull in, so we are savers. But we do make large purchases at times with the saved up cash. Big vacation trip, or a new car, and my flight training is a pretty expensive hobby.
Old 03-30-21, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 258 Likes on 150 Posts

I would hate to die with money left over.
The following 5 users liked this post by Mrs. Danger:
Cusm (04-08-21), funkyryno (05-11-21), The Bus (04-14-21), The Questyen (03-30-21), VinVega (03-30-21)
Old 03-30-21, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Far more of a saver, as I'd like to "retire" well before standard retirement age. While I wouldn't quite quit working, I'd like to at least be able to quit my current job and do something more rewarding/enjoyable. Since I'm on a good track for that, I do spend on the family. Occasionally I'll splurge on something larger, but generally wait until I get a bonus. We don't buy anything without having the money available to pay for it, but we do put everything we can on the credit card for the cash back.
Old 03-30-21, 11:50 AM
Admin

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
I would hate to die with money left over.
How do you know when you're going to die though? That's the rub.
Old 03-30-21, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 309 Likes on 218 Posts

I can't say I spend a lot. I've bought a lot of stuff at Amazon during the pandemic, but mostly less than $50 items. A lot of which I don't even need or use. But that's normal when you feel isolated and a little depressed. Buying things is a way to (temporarily) fill this void. I bought more expensive items like a Quest and a 3D printer, but I use them both a lot, and they helped quite a bit to keep me busy. Otherwise I'm not a big spender. I never feel the need to get "the best" car, appliances, tv, audio gear, clothes, etc... I've been wanting to renovate my kitchen and bathroom for years, and I keep putting it off because I don't even care that much. If I lived with a woman, that might be different. That said, I can't wait to travel again and I've sworn after the return trip from Italy 2 years ago that I'd never fly economy again.

I always tell my niece and nephew that if they need something, ask me now, don't wait until I'm dead. My niece and her b/f just bought their first residence (condo) and I helped her. I'll do the same for my nephew.
Old 03-30-21, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Right now Saver. Raised by single mom for most of growing up so not much money. Paid for majority of college myself. 3 more years left on paying off the house while maxing out 401K every year. Ask again in 3 years when I'm relatively debt free.
Old 03-30-21, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm both--I have short term savings and put money in my retirement fund, but I am pretty good at spending money. The things I like to buy--travel, shows, and restaurant dinners--are off limits right now, so even without me working, we managed to save more this year than the year before (but a lot of that is due to my husband's crushing alimony payments finally being over). My spending weaknesses are kitchen items, purses/bags, gourmet food, and stuff for my cats. Our big purchase this year is going to be rebuilding our deck and building a catio of some sort on it.
Old 03-30-21, 06:21 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 260 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post

But I need to ask the OP; did you just get your first job or something?
Old 03-30-21, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

I consider myself a spender, but I'm actually a saver - at least for the big things. (have had my truck 20yrs) My 2nd paycheck goes (mostly) into savings.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.