Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Not getting a stimulus check? This threads for you!

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 03-19-21, 11:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, Thanks!

Paying taxes can be a pain. And seeing everyone else getting something but not you can be irksome. But, thanks in part to you, people who need help are getting it and we're keeping the economy going during some tough times.

Good job!

The following 2 users liked this post by bryce0lynch:
Abob Teff (03-19-21), AGuyNamedMike (03-19-21)
Old 03-19-21, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 314 Posts
Re: Not getting a stimulus check? This threads for you!

In these often negative times, that is an awesome message Bruce!

Nobody likes paying taxes, but we sure like the benefits. Taxes should go to the common good, and while this seems individualistic, I do believe it is ultimately for the common good of the country.
The following 3 users liked this post by Abob Teff:
AGuyNamedMike (03-19-21), bryce0lynch (03-19-21), LurkerDan (03-19-21)
Old 03-19-21, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts

Yup, we can debate all day long how much we should spend in taxes, who should pay what, and what services they should and shouldn't be used for, but they're definitely necessary in order to have a well functioning society.

And you're welcome!
The following 4 users liked this post by John Galt:
Abob Teff (03-20-21), AGuyNamedMike (03-19-21), bryce0lynch (03-19-21), LurkerDan (03-19-21)
Old 03-19-21, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 616 Posts

Speaking personally, I won't go into the whole cost of living argument again, but I will say what hurts a bit is not that people are getting money they need to survive, but people buying luxuries. I realize that's what the stimulus is for, though.
The following 3 users liked this post by fujishig:
Abob Teff (03-19-21), AGuyNamedMike (03-19-21), bryce0lynch (03-19-21)
Old 03-19-21, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Absolutely agreed fujishig ... but I suppose they have been upfront from the first ones by calling it a “stimulus” payment. It’s just sad the economy and big business are more important than the people.
Old 03-19-21, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I didn't get any checks but I'd like to have been able to slide up the vaccine line a few spots.
Old 03-19-21, 02:20 PM
Admin

Received 296 Likes on 190 Posts

I'm getting checks, but I don't really need them, so they are going to help people who are really struggling and can't put food on the table.
The following users liked this post:
Kurt D (03-20-21)
Old 03-19-21, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 300 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I'm getting checks, but I don't really need them, so they are going to help people who are really struggling and can't put food on the table.
We got a small payout during the first round and none since. We used it all to buy food we donated to local shelters.
Old 03-19-21, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Yeah, the math is weird though with $75,000 income getting everything and $80,000 getting nothing. Probably could have made it a bigger number for lower and tapered off from there, e.g. $50,000 get $3k, $75,000 income get $2k, $100,000 get $1k.

But I'm not angry about it, it would have just gone into my bank account and gotten swallowed up in my normal spending. My company had originally told us no bonuses 6 months ago, but since we did well even with the pandemic, decided to pay out 5% bonus (vs a normal 10% year), but that's still a lot of money that I thought I wasn't getting.
The following users liked this post:
VinVega (03-20-21)
Old 03-19-21, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

I don't mind that other people are getting a check and I'm not. I feel guilty because financially I'm getting through this whole thing better than if it never happened. I am working from home, so I don't have commuting/car costs and also no after-school costs for my son.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kevin Phillips:
Abob Teff (03-20-21), spainlinx0 (03-21-21)
Old 03-19-21, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 300 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
I don't mind that other people are getting a check and I'm not. I feel guilty because financially I'm getting through this whole thing better than if it never happened. I am working from home, so I don't have commuting/car costs and also no after-school costs for my son.
Same here. My wife and I both work in (completely separate) industries which are thriving due to the pandemic. Add in the lack of commute/travel costs and we're better off than usual.
Old 03-19-21, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 386 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Same here. My wife and I both work in (completely separate) industries which are thriving due to the pandemic. Add in the lack of commute/travel costs and we're better off than usual.
Same. I haven't actually gotten this third stimulus yet but I expect to.
Old 03-19-21, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Yup, no problem here that I don't get any stimulus checks. Due to a couple of factors 2020 ended up being a much better year financially compared to 2019. So much so that my federal withholding wasn't enough to compensate and I ended up owing almost $10,000. So I guess I bought 7 additional stimulus checks for the masses. You're welcome!
Old 03-19-21, 03:44 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Why are people who could get stimulus checks based on their 2019 income already filing 2020 returns that don't qualify?
Old 03-19-21, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

In my case I wouldn't have qualified based on my 2019 income either.
Old 03-19-21, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 423 Likes on 344 Posts

Boo-fucking-hoo. So this is the whining thread for the high level earners, ey.
Old 03-19-21, 08:29 PM
Premium Member

Received 191 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Boo-fucking-hoo. So this is the whining thread for the high level earners, ey.
I don't think that applies to any of the posts in this thread.
Old 03-19-21, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 264 Likes on 203 Posts

So, my "good deed" is that I'm taking only 20% for myself, and paying 50%+ of AGI on all the taxes to "benefit" society. That seems lopsided, especially when I'm doing my honest best to SAVE money.

I'm coming at it from a much different angle. When, like I am, you're so thrifty that you actually spend less than 20% of your AGI on your own living, deny yourself much, spend wisely, and save a lot, you should get some kind of reward also. For not being greedy, being reasonable, and making for future provisions for yourself in case we have a 5-year-COVID future event, for example. Not using the state of government as a crutch. Instead, I'm penalized, in every direction possible, from being single, to having to pay much higher taxes, and receive no stimulus check. And the result is that I "throw away" almost 40% of my AGI on income taxes... (living in the nanny state of Calif means I have to pay 12.3% state income tax). Not counting all the other ways I'm taxed like SSI, sales tax, propety tax, utility taxes, etc, ad naseum.

I make no apologies about it, I'm doing a lot of "good" to society by being forced to pay so much in taxes, so I am just a little upset that I also wasn't sent any stimulus check. Living in a very expensive city where $80k really isn't very much. $40k in an "average" American city.

But, all those who want us to pay more taxes, you won't like to when you've worked your ass of all your life, been responsible, saved wisely, paid off your homes, reduced residual monthly costs to a bare minimum, and seen very few personal benefits as to the taxes you've been paying for decades. I know, for example Medicare will be GONE by the time I'm 65, SSI will be gone, so I'll need to live off -- and finally SPEND the nest egg. Doesn't seem quite right that EVERYONE shouldn't need to do this. As in, that's the way to properly live, and not be mooching of the government and other people...

This is a rant bourne of years of bitterness re: taxes, so forgive me, please...
Old 03-19-21, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 423 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
I don't think that applies to any of the posts in this thread.

Yeah, I messed up put a general label on the whole thing. Some will complain about not getting one even though they are high income earners. I should have prefaced that way instead of lumping folks together.
Old 03-20-21, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
So, my "good deed" is that I'm taking only 20% for myself, and paying 50%+ of AGI on all the taxes to "benefit" society. That seems lopsided, especially when I'm doing my honest best to SAVE money.

I'm coming at it from a much different angle. When, like I am, you're so thrifty that you actually spend less than 20% of your AGI on your own living, deny yourself much, spend wisely, and save a lot, you should get some kind of reward also. For not being greedy, being reasonable, and making for future provisions for yourself in case we have a 5-year-COVID future event, for example. Not using the state of government as a crutch. Instead, I'm penalized, in every direction possible, from being single, to having to pay much higher taxes, and receive no stimulus check. And the result is that I "throw away" almost 40% of my AGI on income taxes... (living in the nanny state of Calif means I have to pay 12.3% state income tax). Not counting all the other ways I'm taxed like SSI, sales tax, propety tax, utility taxes, etc, ad naseum.

I make no apologies about it, I'm doing a lot of "good" to society by being forced to pay so much in taxes, so I am just a little upset that I also wasn't sent any stimulus check. Living in a very expensive city where $80k really isn't very much. $40k in an "average" American city.

But, all those who want us to pay more taxes, you won't like to when you've worked your ass of all your life, been responsible, saved wisely, paid off your homes, reduced residual monthly costs to a bare minimum, and seen very few personal benefits as to the taxes you've been paying for decades. I know, for example Medicare will be GONE by the time I'm 65, SSI will be gone, so I'll need to live off -- and finally SPEND the nest egg. Doesn't seem quite right that EVERYONE shouldn't need to do this. As in, that's the way to properly live, and not be mooching of the government and other people...

This is a rant bourne of years of bitterness re: taxes, so forgive me, please...
You're the exact type of person they don't want to give stimulus to though, as stupid as that is. Even if you didn't make this much money and lived the same way in, say, Alabama, you wouldn't have spent the stimulus. They don't want people to save, they want people to spend. It's such a backwards message to the younger generations that our economy is based on getting in debt and/or spending everything you have and savings is for suckers, but here we are.

We had a discussion in the other thread about how maybe higher income earners wouldn't spend this either but put it towards debt instead, which was seen (for this particular program) as a negative.

I can't imagine if they implemented something like had been suggested about forcing you to spend the money if they gave it to you, what you would have though, zyzzle.
Old 03-20-21, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 260 Likes on 183 Posts

I just dropped in to see how the other half lives, and to remind myself to kick some of my stimulus to the food bank.
Old 03-20-21, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 446 Likes on 322 Posts

We got phased out in this one. Got a fair amount for 1st one, only a little in 2nd round. Don't need it. Doing just fine.
Old 03-21-21, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, this is messed up ...

My daughter got divorced this past year (just before all this shit blew up).

Her first stimulus went to her under her married name via paper check (bank account from the previous tax return was closed in the divorce). She did not get the second one, but figured she would get it back on her taxes. She filed her taxes with it on there (under her maiden name).

She received the third stimulus payment under her maiden name. She got her tax return back (under her maiden name) LESS the second stimulus payment. They said they were reducing her tax return because she was not eligible for the stimulus payment. WTF?? I’m certain it has to do with her name change. She now gets to spend an endless period of time being frustrated trying to call the IRS.
Old 03-21-21, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

We qualify for the full $1,400 pp but for some reason I can't get an expected ETA from the "Where's my stimulus" website. Been checking daily for the past week. What a f'in' tease.
Old 03-22-21, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Ok, this is messed up ...

My daughter got divorced this past year (just before all this shit blew up).

Her first stimulus went to her under her married name via paper check (bank account from the previous tax return was closed in the divorce). She did not get the second one, but figured she would get it back on her taxes. She filed her taxes with it on there (under her maiden name).

She received the third stimulus payment under her maiden name. She got her tax return back (under her maiden name) LESS the second stimulus payment. They said they were reducing her tax return because she was not eligible for the stimulus payment. WTF?? I’m certain it has to do with her name change. She now gets to spend an endless period of time being frustrated trying to call the IRS.
Did the IRS already audit her and send her a notice, or did her tax preparer say that she owed the money that she didn't receive back? If she goes to IRS.gov she should be able to see the status of the second payment, how much it was, and maybe even where it went. When I did my taxes last week, it asked how much stimulus I got and I had to look it up because I never got the official form from them on how much the second was (and I didn't want to rely on just the deposit information just in case). Of course, that form came the day after I did my taxes. But I was able to make an account, log in and see both of the first stimulus payments.

If she didn't get it there's no reason for her to even mention it in her taxes. Also, what criteria did she fall into where she wasn't eligible for it? To my knowledge if she got it they do NOT claw it back due to income, only if she was ineligible to receive it because it somehow got deposited twice (like if her ex filed as married and got the money AND she got the money separately)

Last edited by fujishig; 03-22-21 at 08:15 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.