Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you like your job?

Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: Do you like your job?
Yes.
36.36%
No.
18.18%
Sometimes (but, most of the time).
29.55%
Sometimes (but, not most of time).
13.64%
Currently Transitioning.
0%
Other (please explain...).
2.27%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Do you like your job?

Old 03-18-21, 06:39 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 263 Likes on 230 Posts
Do you like your job?

Simple. Yes or No and perhaps why.

Since I transitioned being with the pharmacy Iím in, it has simply been the best working experience thus far in my life (since I was a paperboy).

From the people I work with (all 3 of them), to the free lunches paid by corporate, from anywhere on grubhub list or something local. We usually do a different nationality each day. Taco Tuesday (Mexican), pizza Friday, usually fresh sandwich market, Greek food and sushi on other days, to the perks and compensation.

Itís just been so great. I mean I work my ass off and itís an hour commute each way, but itís like I donít mind in the least. The drive is literally one road, mostly local, so traffic lights half the time (but only 1 intersection sucks balls), for about 30+ miles total and I get to listen to my music, a lot of it. Only chance to listen and just gets me going.

And though Iím working at least 9-4 M-F, non-stop sans lunch, closed at 5 (no weekends), itís like I donít mind. Itís a pleasure in that atmosphere with those colleagues. 3 techs, who have been there and know whatís going on and teach me and are just great and fun, and me. Limited in person customers since we are mail order specialty, mostly calls with patients and drís. Some, but limited insurance company stuff. Dermatology meds make bank.

Anyway, do you like what you do now? Hate it? Changing? Whatís up with your work life?
Old 03-18-21, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 400 Likes on 296 Posts
Re: Do you like your job?

Since you said “job” and not “profession”, I am going to go with no.

After 15 years in “external affairs” which covered everything from public/government relations to public education outreach to emergency management, I loved my profession, but I started hating the situation when we had some leadership changes. I was let go and took advantage of some well aligned timing and opportunities to change careers (again).

I am now teaching in an underprivileged middle school, which I love. I was hired to teach social studies but instead I am little more than a glorified babysitter cajoling kids to work in a stupid computer program. I hate that. Even if I was doing what this class was really intended for (remediation in other subjects — “glorified tutoring and study hall”), I would like it.

But what absolutely takes me to “no” is the “leadership” at the school and district. It is the same shit that I dealt with in my previous job. I don’t have to directly deal with it like I did there, but it angers me even more because we are f###ing up children’s educations for personal gains.
Old 03-18-21, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 930 Likes on 693 Posts

Iíve worked in sports TV production since I graduated from college. For the last 9 years, Iíve worked for NFL Network. Not every day is a great day and Iíve had my share of bad days in the past. But I consider myself very lucky to be paid to work in a field that I love. Iíve made a lot of lifelong friends in this profession. As long as you love what you do, itís not work. And getting paid to watch sports and tell stories to viewers is something I love to do.
The following users liked this post:
Abob Teff (03-18-21)
Old 03-18-21, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 105 Likes on 71 Posts

I've been in IT since 1996. There was a period when my job stressed me out, but that was back in Florida. Up here it's calmer and I like my job most of the time. I like the people, the work, I even like my office view.

Sometimes though, I'm seriously ready to retire. That's more about me getting tireder as I age than anything to do with the job.
danwiz (03-19-21)
Old 03-18-21, 10:07 PM
Admin

Received 260 Likes on 170 Posts

I like a lot of things about my job. I'm finally in the role I've wanted to be in for years, so that is a plus. I have a 1 mile commute to the office. My users can be incredibly needy, so that can be a bit frustrating dealing with unrealistic expectations. My boss has trust issues, so that is frustrating as well. I feel like I can get along with anybody though, so I make it work.
Old 03-18-21, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 400 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Iíve worked in sports TV production since I graduated from college. For the last 9 years, Iíve worked for NFL Network. Not every day is a great day and Iíve had my share of bad days in the past. But I consider myself very lucky to be paid to work in a field that I love. Iíve made a lot of lifelong friends in this profession. As long as you love what you do, itís not work. And getting paid to watch sports and tell stories to viewers is something I love to do.
DJariya, I need to connect my son to you guys working in sports entertainment (I now there are a few of you on here). Heís in his junior year studying sports broadcasting and could use some real world job advice. Heís not an outgoing guy like me though.
Old 03-18-21, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

Similarly to AGuyNamedMike, I started in IT in 1996 (next month is literally my 25th Anniversary) but I stayed in Florida. I have spent the last 13 years with the same employer, have moved up through the ranks into management, and have a great team in pretty much the strongest employer and organization in Florida (other than maybe FPL, Publix, or *gag* the GEO Group). We weathered the Great Recession of 2008-2010, we survived the pandemic, and I've been allowed to work from home for the last year at full salary.

Do I like my job? I love my job. Does it drive me crazy? All the time. And I hate working, because if it were up to me I'd be a fulltime student and spend my life learning (thanks Great Courses for filling the gaps). But the job affords me the ability to live a mostly happy life, overall. The work/life balance is optimized.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hokeyboy:
AGuyNamedMike (03-19-21), VinVega (03-18-21)
Old 03-18-21, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 294 Likes on 182 Posts

I like my job. Unlike you yoots who think 1996 is a long time to be in IT.. I started in the 80's. Computer stuff has always come naturally to me so my job is complicated technically but it's pretty rare I run into something challenging. In the past that would annoy me but today I'm fine with that. I've also been in management and did very well at it - but I hated every day I was in it. I'd much rather do the work. So I do the work but sort of still have a foot in the door of leadership. I'm in a unique position of working for most of the people I hired but it's all good. The newest member of my team was hired 15 years ago and there's 10 of us. So we've all been on this journey together and everyone gets along amazingly. So good work with good people. Like anywhere else though there's always a chance of layoffs due to a reorganization or something. If it happens it happens and I'll retire very early. That doesn't scare me since we're good on money. So I'm in a sweet spot which helps make the frustrating days at work not so frustrating.
The following 2 users liked this post by General Zod:
AGuyNamedMike (03-19-21), Giantrobo (04-21-21)
Old 03-19-21, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I love my current career. Itís my endgame.

I graduated college in 2006, and from 2006 to 2016, I worked in the direct mail marketing industry. It was vaguely related to my marketing degree, but the business didnít have a retirement plan and was quite volatile. The best thing I learned about myself from that job is that Iím excellent at quality assurance.

I took that skill with me to my current career at a state agency (2016). Love the work / life balance, the mission, and especially the coworkers. I plan on working until Iím 65. Iím 36 now.

For people who want a steady paycheck, good benefits, future pension, and a good work / life balance, get a state job. Especially during these poor economic times.
Old 03-19-21, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 199 Likes on 146 Posts

I pretty much hate my job. I’ve been working since I was 15 and this is my fourth job. One year in a video store, one year at a retail chain and then 17 years at another retail store.
Once I got divorced I discovered I couldn’t live on $13 an hour. I’ve been with my current company for about eight years. It’s been miserable but they pay really well and I get to work with my brother. I basically work two shifts, but I have no idea what time I get to go home each day. 12 - 15 hour days are not uncommon. Once they made a guy work 26 hours. It’s food production so they get to avoid all those pesky osha rules about how long they can force people to work.
Management has no clue. They used to be family run, but they are transitioning out and now it’s becoming very top heavy. The plant workers used to be highly skilled, but now they just want bodies to run machines. Almost all the people there are either getting divorced, on adderall or coke or they’re a drunk in order to handle the hours and lack of sleep. I fall in the drunk category. 25 + years of manual labor has taken its toll. I have arthritis in my hands, five herniated discs throughout my neck and back, and fucked up knees and feet from standing on concrete for 50 hours a week.
Unfortunately I’ll probably retire here since I never finished college so I fall into the uneducated category. The cost of living is low where I live and make more than enough to buy dumb shit. I can’t really envision what my life will be like in 20 more years of this work, but I’ll find out I guess.
Old 03-19-21, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 142 Posts

I like my job very much. I have been with the company almost 14 years which is a record for me. My average before this job was 3 years, and I had already racked up 24 years before joining them.

Working from home has sweetened it all the more. I have no college degree and have spent my career in the admin field with the majority of the time as a secretary. What I do now is more of an editing gig which I find satisfying. I also do a lot of odd stuff that doesn't slot into any particular administrative category. And no, I don't mean sexual favors.
Old 03-19-21, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I mostly like my job. I do satellite testing and some software development. The work is often very interesting. But there are a lot of downsides. It is deadline-driven. When we aren't testing, its a 9-5 job, but there are way too many meetings and reviews. When we are doing actual flight-hardware testing, we have to go where the satellite is, which can mean a couple of weeks away from home and family at time. A test can be anywhere from a single day to a couple of months of 24/7, with some pretty shitty shifts.

Last edited by Kevin Phillips; 03-19-21 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-19-21, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 281 Posts

I've been with the same organization since 1997 and I would say I like what I do but after we got merged a few years back, I don't enjoy doing my job nearly as much. We became a much bigger player in our industry and we're still struggling to act like it. We have poorly designed software and poorly structured departments. There's supposedly some re-organizations coming, so maybe that will help.

On the plus side, we were in the black this whole past year so we just found out we'll be getting bonuses in April.

(I'm gonna buy comic books and a new kitchen).
Old 04-21-21, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 172 Likes on 97 Posts

My job is OK, but it's certainly better than no job.

Pluses: pay is excellent, my coworkers are friendly, I'm currently working from home, and the work itself isn't too stressful.

Cons: The corporate BS hoops this company makes us jump through is tiresome. I will be expected to start commuting 2-3 hours each day later this summer. Finally, the company is famous for shady labor practices and a host of other attributes that are having a negative impact on America.
Old 04-21-21, 12:19 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts

Mostly. I'm just getting tired after doing it for 33 years.
AGuyNamedMike (04-21-21)
Old 04-21-21, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 312 Likes on 220 Posts

I like my new career, retirement! Doesn't pay much but I get loads of free time!
The following 8 users liked this post by eXcentris:
AGuyNamedMike (04-21-21), danwiz (04-22-21), milo bloom (04-21-21), Obi-Wan Jabroni (04-22-21), PerryD (04-22-21), slybone (04-22-21), Toddarino (04-22-21), VinVega (04-22-21) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-22-21, 06:49 AM

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
I like my new career, retirement! Doesn't pay much but I get loads of free time!
Yep, retirement is the best! Retired early 15 years ago, my wife still works and probably will for another 20 years or so, but her work is about 70% from home, so it seems like sheís retired already too!

Canít beat it!
Old 04-22-21, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 398 Likes on 251 Posts

I am the EP for a daytime talk show - I joined a few months before we premiered and we just celebrated our 13th year yesterday. I started as a producer and moved my way up to running the daily show. I like it a lot and there are new things coming soon that'll make it even more challenging and rewarding.

That said, I have decided that whatever my next move is, it's working for myself. I have very specific skills that I'm very good at and ultimately I don't want to have to answer to anyone above me about it - live or die on my own abilities. But again to answer the question, I do like it a lot!
Old 04-22-21, 12:26 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I have very specific skills that I'm very good at and ultimately I don't want to have to answer to anyone

Toddarino (04-24-21)
Old 04-22-21, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 265 Likes on 210 Posts

I gotta say Yes, although that may change.

I just started in January. I'm the only person in the office; I make certain hardware adjustments and/or setups, the engineers run everything from home. Sometimes my day consists of waiting to hear that a test crashed and I have to reboot the PC. That's it. (also explains why I'm posting a lot here lately). In September everyone will be back, so I'll be able to give a better answer then.

It's actually the second job I've gotten during the pandemic. Last one was actually the most I've ever been paid, except the workload was sporadic. I might go into the office for 3 months, then spend a month at home doing piddling little projects, or sometimes nothing at all. Didn't lift a finger the entire month of December, except to access Netflix (got through the entire run of Shameless in just over a month). I figured that wasn't sustainable so I sent out resumes when I wasn't playing X-Box. I finally got called back for a long term gig at the office, but then I got an offer for this current job so I jumped at it.

Turned out to be the smart move. It was a pay cut, but the previous job didn't have heath benefits so I'm actually bringing home more when you factor in what I was paying for insurance on my own. Plus the last place was a Covid superspreader, with multiple people crammed into one office (despite several unused offices in the building) and too be honest I never really enjoyed/understood the work anyway. Much happier now.
Old 04-22-21, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 398 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
Spoiler:
It's my next logical step - throat-punching Albanian criminals.
AGuyNamedMike (04-26-21)
Old 04-22-21, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Best job I've ever had and it's not even close.

I work from home for a major medical company in the telehealth department. Half of the job is assisting providers connect to patients (mostly acute stroke consults and TelePsych consults) which is pretty repetitive desk grunt work but as rewarding as such work can be and the other half of the time I handle scheduling and reporting for my team which I generally enjoy. I'm an excel nerd.

Great pay, amazing benefits, don't have to smell coworkers. It is the life.
Old 04-22-21, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 233 Likes on 176 Posts

Pre-pandemic, yes very much. During and post-pandemic, no, sadly. Teaching has changed, irrevocably I'm afraid, and the million nagging things and laws / bylaws which have come as a result make the job now an effort, drudgery, and all kinds of busywork. Might cause me to throw in the towel and finally start to live off my nestegg permanently... Before the infighting and politics get even more out of hand.
Old 04-22-21, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry to hear and thanks for every day you go in still.
Old 04-22-21, 08:32 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Sometimes, but not most of the time. I've worked where I work for almost 9 years. The department I work in is what I consider to be MY department. I organize it, I keep it straight, I keep it the way my employer supposedly likes it kept, but nobody else gives a rats ass about anything. They're just there to collect a paycheck, they don't care about how the department SHOULD be run, only what supervisors tell them to do and nothing more. I like my job insomuch as it is the only department I could feel reasonably comfortable working in, but I hate that I have to work with a bunch of fucking half wit morons, and that includes some of the bosses. If everyone would just leave me alone and let me do my job, things would be a whole lot better. As long as I've been there I know exactly what I need to do and I do it to the best of my abilities. I could never be a supervisor there as I know how much shit they have to put up with, I have enough stress in my life as it is.

I think I'll just stop now before I get myself into trouble, if I haven't already.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.