Ethan Suplee drops from 550 to 250 pounds

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 03-02-21, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 138 Likes on 122 Posts

Maybe he is lower than 250 now.

You probably remember him from My Name is Earl, Remember the Titans, and American History X

I think he has 9% body fat now and if he can do it anybody can.

Maybe he will be getting tough guy or action roles.

Ethan Suplee is crediting his wife Brandy Lewis as the inspiration behind his weight loss journey.

In an exclusive interview with People (the TV Show!), airing Thursday, the My Name Is Earl star, 44, explains that Lewis helped to build the "bedrock" foundation he needed to lose a significant amount of weight.

The actor, who dropped almost half his weight, says his journey began in 2002 after he had been seeing his now-wife for around a year.

"I became, for the first time in my life, kind of interested in the future and having experiences with her," he says. "Like spending a day walking around a museum or going on a trip or hiking that I just wasn't physically able to do."

Since getting married in 2006, the couple has had four daughters and Suplee says he's gotten "everything he wanted."

The couple first met when they were 16 and became "very, very, very close friends," he says.

"And I was utterly in love with her and she was like, not totally into me," he admits.

The pair later reunited in 2001 when Suplee says a "miraculous thing" happened.

Suplee reveals his highest weight was 536 lbs., and he had to go to a shipping center to be weighed on a "freight scale because back then there weren't scales that really went that high in doctor's offices."

He has since lost 250 lbs. and hit his goal of registering 9% body fat last October, he told Men's Health.
https://people.com/health/ethan-supl...-lose-250-lbs/

Old 03-02-21, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 111 Likes on 86 Posts
Re: Ethan Suplee drops from 550 to 250 pounds

He’s kept the weight off for several years now. I remember him being slimmer since Wolf of Wall Street.
Old 03-02-21, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Damn, this alternate timeline Thumper is rockin' those abs!
Old 03-02-21, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 473 Likes on 341 Posts

Damn! Good for him. He looks great. Glad to see he’s been able to keep the weight off for awhile.

It would be cool to see him cast in a badass action role.
The following users liked this post:
JeffTheAlpaca (03-02-21)
Old 03-02-21, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

I first noticed him in Boy Meets World, and he was always recognizable in his other roles. When I (finally) watched Twin Peaks last summer, I saw his name in the opening credits and was waiting for him to come on screen and never did. It wasn't until I looked him up on IMDB afterwards that I figured out he wasn't the same recognizable character anymore.
Old 03-02-21, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 160 Likes on 134 Posts

He'll look awesome, sailing around on his schooner!
JeffTheAlpaca (03-03-21)
Old 03-03-21, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 219 Likes on 163 Posts

That's not 550 lbs in that before picture. Here he is at his top weight.
Spoiler:

Old 03-03-21, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 152 Posts

He has a good podcast as well. Worth checking out.
Old 03-03-21, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
He'll look awesome, sailing around on his schooner!
That was the first film I saw him in.

The transformation is amazing, I watched his interview on comedian Tom Segura's podcast (Tom Talks) and it's a really inspiring story. Good for him!.
Old 03-03-21, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 257 Likes on 184 Posts

Ethan Suplee Says Falling in Love with His Wife Helped Him Lose 250 Lbs.

How bloody awful at cooking must she be?
Deadman31 (03-03-21)
Old 03-03-21, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 118 Posts

I'm not sure what can be done with the excess skin on the stomach and legs in the photo. Does it eventually contract or is surgery the only option?
Old 03-03-21, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 368 Likes on 268 Posts

Surgery

I'm surprised this topic never came up months ago when he went public with his transformation and podcast launching. I listened to the first few which are pretty good as he gets into his history, love of food and topics of that nature. But after those few he has nutrition experts on, discusses working out and goes into more of the minutiae of the weight loss, and it's kinda dry.

One crazy tidbit from the podcast, in the past when he's lost weight he'd considered gaining it back just to get roles again. Director's and producers want the fat funny guy. That seems strange to me, but it is Hollywood.

Good for him though for finally making it stick.
Old 03-03-21, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 498 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
One crazy tidbit from the podcast, in the past when he's lost weight he'd considered gaining it back just to get roles again. Director's and producers want the fat funny guy. That seems strange to me, but it is Hollywood.
He was a big guy, a good actor with comedic timing, and, despite his size, had a reasonably handsome face.

Not hard to see how he could be Hollywood's go-to "fat guy" for character roles. Kind of like how Danny Trejo plays all of the Mexican gangsters.
Old 03-03-21, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 138 Likes on 122 Posts

I hope he keeps it off

I think Jonah Hill switches from thin to fat and not sure if that is for roles or he has a hard time keeping the weight off.
Old 03-03-21, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 473 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
That would be unfortunate if he gained it all back for fear of not being hired but I think he could transition into other roles. He could certainly play one of a team of mercenaries or soldiers or something. It seem like there would be more opportunities for those types of roles over “fat guy”. It’s not like the majority of his fat guy movie roles involved a ton of dialogue. He mostly stood off to the side looking dopey while the other actors recited their lines.

Now he can stand off to the side inspecting his weapon or rummaging through a duffel bag full of detonators while the other actors recite their lines.
Old 03-03-21, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Plus he's in his mid 40s, so his usual role of "fat guy" gets very limited as he gets older anyway.
When you're young, "fat guy" is considered funny... when you're old-ish - it's just sad.

He's got a good look now for small roles in action and war movies now.
Old 03-04-21, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

He was in an issue of Men's Health last Summer, so I read up about it then. He had a few episodes in the latest season of Good Girls on Netflix. It was kind of hard to tell his general shape due to his wardrobe, but it was pretty clear he had lost weight. Good for him, I hope he can keep getting roles, if that's what he wants.
Old 03-04-21, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I follow him on Instagram he works out a ton. He really does look great. I went from 320 at my heaviest down to 192 summer of 2019. Got back to 250 recently and not back to almost 230. Losing it was pretty easy. Keeping it off is a lot harder. My buddy told me at the time you can’t eat your way out of a bad diet and I have to agree.
Old 03-05-21, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 368 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
He was a big guy, a good actor with comedic timing, and, despite his size, had a reasonably handsome face.

Not hard to see how he could be Hollywood's go-to "fat guy" for character roles. Kind of like how Danny Trejo plays all of the Mexican gangsters.
Not what I was getting at. I understand Hollywood is shallow and want what's familiar. I'm baffled how someone could go to all that effort to lose weight then consider gaining it back just to get a job.
Old 03-06-21, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

No to derail, but here is Kevin Smith's Men's Health interview: https://www.menshealth.com/health/a2...oss-interview/

When Kevin had a heart attack, I was like "oh shit I look like him". Like we could get haircuts and play brothers in a movie. One thing that shocked me in that interview, is that he was downing 2 gallons of milk a day before his heart attack. I don't know how you could drink that much milk and not have a heart attack. It's just inviting your arteries to get gummed up, even if it is burning off stored fat. Made me feel good about all the produce, smoothies, and vegan-leaning diet I have, even though I'm still a fatty.
Old 03-06-21, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
I'm not sure what can be done with the excess skin on the stomach and legs in the photo. Does it eventually contract or is surgery the only option?
Surgery. There's no other way. I'd be very surprised if he didn't already do it. Unless he's hiding it under the black stretchy shorts. Even then you'd see a lot more excess than what's in those pics.

I know this from experience. I've always been pretty strong and active and hovered around 360-390 since I was a kid. I definitely ended up with one thick roll around my torso when I lost 90. One of these days I'll get the surgeries done. Surgery kinda scares me because I read about the skin not healing and you can end up with a bunch of dead flesh and infections. Lovely stuff. So for now I just wear a lot of black.