Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Neighbors Have No Respect.... What To Do?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 01-07-21, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

So my wife and I moved to a rental house last year shortly before the pandemic started. The house is the middle house in a row of three on a block that's facing a huge dirt lot. This lot is probably the size of a football stadium. It's that big. There are a few houses down the street on both sides as well. But for the most part it's us, and crazy neighbors on our right and we never hear from them neighbors on the left. Let me tell you about these crazy neighbors.

Incident one:
The daughter and boyfriend have a fight., The cops are called, apparently by her because he was yelling at her for calling them. Loud arguing, swearing, etc. The end result was they stopped arguing and the cops left. This was around 2am the first month we were there.

Incident two:
Fast forward to the Summer months. It was June. We had a little above ground pool in our backyard. Their little four or five year old son opens our gate and begins to roam around the backyard, trying to go into the pool at one point. He runs away when I open the door. I do nothing. He never came back.

Incident three:
Same little punk comes up to my front door and tries to open it. Thankfully it was locked. I see him clear as day on my doorbell camera. This time I tell one of the neighbors. I ask if they know a curious toddler, and they laugh and say yeah he's ours. They apologize, and he never returns. They seem like nice people.

Incident four, five, six, and seven:
June-October. They launch bottle rockets and M-80's from their driveway, about 10 feet from my car. This was around 1am. Loud booms woke up my sleeping daughter and freaked out my brother in law who is an Iraq War vet. I say nothing.

Incident eight:
They get new dirt bikes. They decide to ride them in the dirt lot and up and down the street. I say nothing because while it was loud and annoying, it was around 2 in the afternoon.

Incident nine, ten, eleven, and twelve:
The past four nights they decide to ride again. Only this time it's 1am, then 2am, and at 3:30 in the morning. The boyfriend and daughter with dirt bikes and ATV's. At least a half dozen of them out there talking like it's 3:30 in the afternoon. Giving each other rides on the bike. Yelling. Cheering. Then one of them starts doing doughnuts with the bike, kicking up a huge cloud of dust and rocks. This happened again the next night (morning).

Here's my issue. I don't want to call the cops because for one I know cops have a ton of more important things to do nowadays. Plus they'd know it was me. I could go talk to them but are they really gonna stop their early morning rides because some guy said he's trying to sleep? Maybe I can toss a bunch of nails onto the dirt

Thoughts?
Old 01-07-21, 06:31 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Neighbors Have No Respect.... What To Do?

You probably won't be able to blow up their house or burn it to the ground because it will most likely damage your house as well. You can't sneak over there and sabotage all the bikes and ATVs while they sleep because it sounds like they never sleep. Since you don't want to talk to them about it or call the police, I think the only other choice you have is to buy earplugs and make sure to lock all your doors/windows.

Seriously, I think I'd try to talk to the parents about the early morning joyrides.
Old 01-07-21, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I hate to say it, but move. They are not gonna change and getting cops involved will probably provoke them. Not a busy street so you wont have numbers on your side to help your effort. Whenever i have rented and quickly discovered noisey neighbours (luckily only once) i immediately decided i would move as soon as the contract ended. In my case there was no point getting cops involved as i lived next to a large multistory apartment building that was filled with nothing but trouble.

And part of me thinks the nail idea is great, but envisioning people falling and getting impaled on the things, no saying what road that could lead you down. Just dont endanger yourself at the expense of morons.
The following 3 users liked this post by james2025a:
Bandoman (01-07-21), Norm de Plume (01-07-21), story (01-07-21)
Old 01-07-21, 08:48 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 350 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
Maybe I can toss a bunch of nails onto the dirt
Sounds like you found your own solution here.

edit: but, like, totally don't do that. That's bad...
Old 01-07-21, 08:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So my wife and I moved to a rental house .......
Move?
Old 01-07-21, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

As echoed above, nothing really you can do to stop them. You can make them hate you and make things worse with confrontation if you want though.

Options are move or soundproof assuming no access to land mines.

Also no garage to park your car in? That in its self would be a deal breaker for me on a property.
Old 01-07-21, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts

The nail idea sounds really great in theory, but it's sure to escalate things. If these neighbors are already behaving like this, I'm not sure I'd like to see them angry at you.

So you haven't spoken to the other neighbors about it? I'd maybe start there. Knowing where they stand might at least help you decide what to do next. Who knows? Maybe they'll suggest talking to them instead or as a united front.

If not, I think I would talk to them about it. You said they seemed nice when you spoke to them before. I'd lean heavily on the Iraq war vet thing. The fireworks and the loud bikes in the middle of the night trigger his PTSD or something. If they are dismissive or still continue to be a problem, at least you know the kind of people you're dealing with.
Old 01-07-21, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 152 Posts

Setting off M80's near your car is worthy of calling the cops. Using dirt bikes on land they have access to is not; even if it's late at night. No cop wants to come out to a house for a noise complaint.
Old 01-07-21, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

I agree that it’s best to move as soon as your lease is up.
Old 01-07-21, 10:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't know your rental agreement but it might be helpful to notify your landlord/rental agency of the issues. I SHTF and you need to move quickly there might be some legal protection about getting out of a lease or something. I'd also check your local Assessor (or other department) to see who might own the neighbor property. If they rent perhaps letting the actual owners know might generate pressure from that side instead of you.
Old 01-07-21, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 214 Likes on 122 Posts

Like we learn in kindergarten, use your words. Don't get all up in their faces or anything, but just politely let them know the noise has been bothering you. I would only bring anyone else into it if they ignore a polite complaint. It sounds like your location is semi-rural if you've got that big a lot. They may just be clueless that they're making enough noise to bother you. Landlord would be the next step. Police are an absolute last resort. They aren't intended to resolve this kind of thing.
Old 01-07-21, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 257 Likes on 184 Posts

Maybe I can toss a bunch of nails onto the dirt

Thoughts?
You should just mine the whole field to be sure.
Old 01-07-21, 12:58 PM

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Incident two:
Fast forward to the Summer months. It was June. We had a little above ground pool in our backyard. Their little four or five year old son opens our gate and begins to roam around the backyard, trying to go into the pool at one point. He runs away when I open the door. I do nothing. He never came back.
I totally misread this as being YOUR son and was freaking out a bit before I double checked.
Old 01-07-21, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 279 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Setting off M80's near your car is worthy of calling the cops. Using dirt bikes on land they have access to is not; even if it's late at night. No cop wants to come out to a house for a noise complaint.
Trespassing. It is a valid reason to call police.
Old 01-07-21, 02:23 PM

Received 360 Likes on 219 Posts

You have lived in many interesting places...
Old 01-07-21, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Trespassing. It is a valid reason to call police.
I was assuming that dirt lot was public land. But yeah, if it's private property, trespassing for sure.
Old 01-07-21, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 279 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
I was assuming that dirt lot was public land. But yeah, if it's private property, trespassing for sure.
Even if it is public land, can still be trespassing.
Old 01-07-21, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Fireworks - where doesn't neighbors shoot off fireworks? I'll find shit in my yard from a block away.
Cops showing up - pop some popcorn. Cops + neighbors is always a good show.
Kids - can't kill them so you put up with them.
Swimming pool - that's on you. Under the law that's an "attractive nuisance" . Kids can't resist them. Legally you enticed the kid to come over. Hope you have insurance.

Might as well bitch about neighbors lawn mower too loud, leaves from neighbors trees blow into your yard.
One thing I won't tolerate is garbage. If I notice garbage piling up because house by me let their pickup service lapse I'll report them to the city.
Old 01-07-21, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 189 Likes on 152 Posts

One uncivilized clan of slobbering louts can ruin a nice, peaceful neighbourhood. Regrettably, I don't think talking to these people would inspire them to improve their conduct. I agree with james2025 that moving is the best option. You can always do what George Trepal did, but that's wrong.
Old 01-07-21, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 165 Likes on 116 Posts

Talking to them will do nothing but cause animosity and further escalate the situation. I’d start packing or start ignoring. Unless you want a war in which case I can supply ideas.
Old 01-07-21, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 497 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post
Talking to them will do nothing but cause animosity and further escalate the situation.
Yeah, that's the problem with neighbors.

If they're the kind of people who constantly do annoying shit, confronting them about it, no matter how politely you do it, will only escalate the situation. It sucks, but the simple fact of the matter is that if they're holding noisy keggers in their backyard at three in the morning, they already don't give a shit what you think.

And they're already drunk assholes, anyway, and that never ends well.
Old 01-07-21, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by story View Post
Bravo

And yes I have. I think Ive moved like 7 places in the last 20 years. I really should just buy my own place.

Anyway to blanket answer most of the responses here, I guess I should just be nice and ask. Its not really bothering me too much but my kids and my brother in law it is. My wife is pretty mad too, but she just curses under her breath. My main thing is I guess I never complained because I thought maybe if I had a get together or was really loud then theyd give me a pass and not complain.

Oh and I do have a garage. The car was just parked in the driveway that night.
The following users liked this post:
story (01-08-21)
Old 01-07-21, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Yeah, that's the problem with neighbors.

If they're the kind of people who constantly do annoying shit, confronting them about it, no matter how politely you do it, will only escalate the situation. It sucks, but the simple fact of the matter is that if they're holding noisy keggers in their backyard at three in the morning, they already don't give a shit what you think.

And they're already drunk assholes, anyway, and that never ends well.
The funny thing is the landlord was like oh yeah its quiet here. It is. Except when the neighbors get together with friends. Im starting to understand why we see mail from five different people that lived here in the past. He said they always paid rent so he never worried about them living here. And they all owe money. One guy owes $50k to the IRS he said.
Old 01-08-21, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I've confronted neighbors before and called the cops on neighbors before. Anyone shooting fireworks or riding loud motorbikes after 1am would get a conversation with me and after that the cops would be called. I've never "started a war" with anyone. I've found talking first is always the best option if you have a problem. I don't want to be that neighbor that immediately just calls the cops on someone. And it's usually only for loud stuff in the wee hours of the morning.
Old 01-08-21, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Cut off the front of their dirt bikes and put it in their beds. They will show some respect.

The following users liked this post:
Deadman31 (01-12-21)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.