Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Biggest Loser 2021 Health & Fitness Thread: Revenge On The Pandemic!

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 12-29-20, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts

Okay...so it appears the 2020 Health and Fitness thread died a solid death back in mid-August as the Pandemic and Election took everyone's attention away from actually getting healthy...well at least that is the way it worked for me.

So I am going to turn 48 as of the 6th of February which means I am 30 years past a key prime healthy age for myself (probably weighed around 165 to 175 lbs. max). Got my biggest in my early to mid 20's (hit a max of around 250 lbs - I honestly quit weighing when I hit 240 or so). This was actually around the time I joined DVDTalk. I was pissed, depressed and all that shit. Got tired of being fat and I was living near the beach at that time. It sucked to go to the beach in a swimsuit so I finally starting turning it around. Calmed it down in my late twenties and have been fluctuating back and forth between 180 lbs. and 215 lbs. ever since (typically on the mid to upper end of that scale). I am 6'0" just for info/comparison sake. I hit 175 lbs. for about a minute once during the last 20 years and have been chasing my tail to reach that weight again ever since.

Well...I ain't getting any younger and time is running out. I see men hit 50+ and it just seems like age and health just smack them hard. I am not speaking for all men but just all the ones I know and have observed firsthand. The years from 45-50 don't look that different from 40-45 but 50-55 looks like a bus hit most of them. I don't want to be most of them.

So...I plan to get it back this time and hopefully start a lifestyle that carries me way past 50 but much more healthy. I really thought I was going to do it last year but the Pandemic unexpectedly happened and honestly...it should have been the perfect time to lose weight. Staying home and hardly eating out? Perfect for the old waistline, right!?!? But it didn't work that way for a lot of us and I just wanted to eat and drink myself into oblivion some days. I won't even go into the election that won't ever end, politics and attitudes making me despise most of my family and some friends, and on and on.

I found a diet and exercise regime that works for me and I plan to stick to this time. No reason not to. I am used to the Pandemic raging and it isn't getting any better at the moment (and will be awhile before it does). Time to stay in, eat well, exercise at home and use this time to get in shape. Period!

I have no certain weight or fat % goal other than to eat right, exercise and see where it goes. My downfall is chocolate and beer but I really want to dial those both back...a lot. As I stated before...I ain't getting any younger and both of those wreak havoc on your health, especially in excess or unchecked. Even enjoying them with moderation is not so great by this point (plus...I can't moderate with a shit.).

So I plan to check in once a week and give my stats. Every Monday or Tuesday. I challenge anyone reading this that if they want to, please do. This will maybe give me some accountability if I am posting this and know others are following it and may also do the same.

So here are the stats...last year I started on Jan 1, 2020 and weighed in at 209.8 lbs. with a body fat % of 25.6. I got it down to its lowest point last year on Sept 6, 2020 to 187 lbs and BF% of 20.9. Because I was proud of myself, I decided to eat my way through thru the last quarter of the year...which was so damn dumb.

So now I am beginning anew and I am not stopping this time! I started yesterday December 28, 2020 and weighed in at 206 lbs. and 24.9% body fat. Pretty sad that I am basically starting in almost the exact same spot as last year. But this time, I plan to get my revenge on the pandemic and not let it control me as I did last year.

Join me!

Last edited by Spiderbite; 01-14-21 at 02:07 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Spiderbite:
Norm de Plume (01-02-21), story (12-29-20), VinVega (01-04-21)
Old 12-29-20, 02:13 PM

Received 898 Likes on 520 Posts
Re: Biggest Loser 2021 Health & Fitness Thread: Revenge On The Pandemic!

I need a change. And by "a," I mean 1,000.
The following users liked this post:
Norm de Plume (01-02-21)
Old 01-01-21, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Iím in. Iíve gained over the past 2.5 years and not happy about it. I was doing very well for for like 10 years but an injury and divorce messed me.

Im still down 50+ from where I was 12 years ago. And still exercising. I need to eat better and more importantly cut down on the craft beer.
Old 01-02-21, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^Craft beer and chocolate are my two biggest weaknesses.

I have actually decided to do the "dry January" thing so see if I can make it and how I feel. Haven't had any alcohol since Monday and I feel like I can do it until I birthday. But I will have to have a celebratory beer then. I hope it just jump starts me to drink less.

I skip days without drinking so it is not a real big deal for me to abstain. It is the calorie intake that is so crazy on some of these beers. And since your body reacts to alcohol differently than anything else, I figured it needs a break. Everything I always read is if you want to jumpstart your weight loss, abstain from alcohol completely (and pretty much any other drinks that have calories).

I have done well so far this week. I am actually looking forward to my weigh-in on Monday. Just sore as shit from my workouts. It is nuts how you can skip 2 to 3 weeks of working out and your body acts like you have never worked out at all. I look like a feeble old man at the moment if I have to bend down for anything.
Old 01-02-21, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm just going to pretend this thread doesn't exist till I get back to the gym.
Old 01-02-21, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I'm just going to pretend this thread doesn't exist till I get back to the gym.
Then get your ass back to the gym, old man!

Oh yeah...guess you can't.

Well, buy some adjustable dumbbells and work out at home. I am not a gym guy and have always worked out at home. I much prefer it.
Old 01-02-21, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts

I'm in! 41, 5'9'' 185ish (haven't weighed myself in months) Target weight for me would be 165 - pretty lean but that's my preference. With the gyms closed I picked up some resistance bands, so I'm hoping to get going on those next week. Biggest hurdle for me - liquid calories, (esp on NFL gamedays) but with the season winding down that will be less of a temptation. (and Feb-May is when I've had success in years past)

Extra motivation - the likely return to the office in June/July. I would love to walk in looking and feeling great - new clothes, the whole deal. I just haven't felt physically or mentally very good going on five yrs now - last year was going to be "the year" but that went sideways. Being alone has not led to the greatest choices health wise, I wouldn't say I'm that much worse off but certainly not any better than I was a year ago.

When the gyms open up (hoping in Feb) I plan to go first thing at 5am. I've always been a routine guy, and if I can string together a couple of solid weeks I'm pretty confident I'll be on my way.

Last edited by Artman; 01-02-21 at 01:20 PM.
Spiderbite (01-02-21)
Old 01-02-21, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
^Craft beer and chocolate are my two biggest weaknesses.

I have actually decided to do the "dry January" thing so see if I can make it and how I feel. Haven't had any alcohol since Monday and I feel like I can do it until I birthday. But I will have to have a celebratory beer then. I hope it just jump starts me to drink less.

I skip days without drinking so it is not a real big deal for me to abstain. It is the calorie intake that is so crazy on some of these beers. And since your body reacts to alcohol differently than anything else, I figured it needs a break. Everything I always read is if you want to jumpstart your weight loss, abstain from alcohol completely (and pretty much any other drinks that have calories).

I have done well so far this week. I am actually looking forward to my weigh-in on Monday. Just sore as shit from my workouts. It is nuts how you can skip 2 to 3 weeks of working out and your body acts like you have never worked out at all. I look like a feeble old man at the moment if I have to bend down for anything.
When I was doing well, I never eliminated beer. But had strict rules like only 3 times a week and only 3 per ďsessionĒ. I expanded that some when I started doing long run Sunday. But still was careful.

Lately tho, Iíve not been careful. Not only drinking more but the other issue is, it lowing my inhibitions and I order food I shouldnít. Thinking one meal wonít matter. Well one meal didnít matter when I ran 25 miles a week and lifted 3-4 days a week. And one meal does matter when Iím doing that meal 3-4x a week.

I just need to get back to ďno excusesĒ. Iíll also likely start tracking calories again. When I was losing weight, that really helped. Didnít need to count calories when I was trying to stay steady at a weight, but made a huge difference when I was losing,
Spiderbite (01-02-21)
Old 01-02-21, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 453 Posts

To be perfectly lean, I would have to lose about 50 lbs. I'm burly and have a gut, but I wouldn't consider myself fat (though perhaps I'm kidding myself). I don't really overeat, but as a house hermit I get virtually no cardiovascular exercise. I do some weightlifting. I could be part of this, but I'm not one for competitions.
Old 01-02-21, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
Extra motivation - the likely return to the office in June/July. I would love to walk in looking and feeling great - new clothes, the whole deal. I just haven't felt physically or mentally very good going on five yrs now - last year was going to be "the year" but that went sideways. Being alone has not led to the greatest choices health wise, I wouldn't say I'm that much worse off but certainly not any better than I was a year ago.
Let me know if you need a Stitch Fix reference! I can save us both some money for some clothes. I fucking hate clothes shopping and joined them over a year ago. Once they figure out your fit and styles that you like, you can get some really kick-ass clothes for zero effort. I was skeptical but I love it now.

And year, last year was going to be "The Year" for me as well. It appears a lot of people have that story. haha.

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
When I was doing well, I never eliminated beer. But had strict rules like only 3 times a week and only 3 per ďsessionĒ. I expanded that some when I started doing long run Sunday. But still was careful.

Lately tho, Iíve not been careful. Not only drinking more but the other issue is, it lowing my inhibitions and I order food I shouldnít. Thinking one meal wonít matter. Well one meal didnít matter when I ran 25 miles a week and lifted 3-4 days a week. And one meal does matter when Iím doing that meal 3-4x a week.

I just need to get back to ďno excusesĒ. Iíll also likely start tracking calories again. When I was losing weight, that really helped. Didnít need to count calories when I was trying to stay steady at a weight, but made a huge difference when I was losing,
"Sessions"...I think I may start calling them that.

Totally agree about the drinking lowering inhibitions. Suddenly one cookie becomes six and I am off the rails. Even worse if I smoke weed. Another issue can be having some guys over to play pool and watch a movie. A couple of beers becomes six and then pizza is ordered. And you gotta have cheese sticks. And dessert. And then suddenly...off the rails again for me.

As far as counting calories, that is the only thing that has ever truly worked for me. Obviously eating correctly and the right foods but I have never had great success on low carb, low fat, low sugar, pick your low flavor diet. I just end up abandoning them after a couple of weeks.

I have done a bunch of calorie counting apps and my favorite ever is one called My Macros + which I am using now. Nutrition labels can be deceptive at times and are not always correctly. This app lets you put in the carbs, fats and protein and then spits out the correct calorie amount for whatever severing you want to put in. You want to measure by grams...punch it in that way. You can custom put in any food and measure it any way you would like. It can be surprising putting in some macros and some items' calorie counts are completely different from what is stated on the box. Even more stunning is measuring serving sizes. 28 grams seems to be a standard serving size and some things will stun you when you see how small that actually is and what you have been pouring for yourself.
Old 01-02-21, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 782 Likes on 512 Posts

I lost 30 pounds in 2020. I weigh what I did in the 1990s. Not working has been good for me.

I'd like to lose another 25 pounds. That would make me reasonably fit. My doctor would probably want me to lose an additional 20 pounds past that and get trim, but that seems unlikely.
Old 01-02-21, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since we have been talking beers, here are some good charts to check out. I actually made my own custom one from these charts (and a macros one) for a quick reference for 4oz., 8 oz, 12oz. and 16oz. and I also put in the macros from fat, carbs or a combination of both so if I am counting macros, I can figure it out that way.

You know that awesome stout you just drank all by yourself that was a 16oz. bottle and 12% alcohol...that was 480 calories! Weep!

And from what I have read, that is just an estimate and it doesn't take into account all the possible adjuncts put into that particular beer...like chocolate, coffee, fruit, candy, marshmallow, and on and on. You it could be even more than that!
Old 01-02-21, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

I was diagnosed with ADHD in 2018 and put on Adderall. At that point I’d already been dieting and lost about 30 lbs, and the Adderall killed my appetite enough that I ended up losing 30 more, and got close to my target. Then the medicine quit working and my appetite came back. Between that and stress eating all year, I just weighed myself and have put about 20 lbs back on. I’m at 201 lbs now and would like to get back into the 170s again.
Old 01-04-21, 09:33 AM
Admin

Received 342 Likes on 219 Posts

I stopped logging over the holidays as a treat to myself. Gained 10 pounds and I am back to logging and cutting back on what I eat today. I started to feel gross honestly, so it actually feels good to get back to a regular eating routine. I'm not drinking any alcohol for the foreseeable future as that is a huge weight gain item. Usually what the wife an I do is eat light all week and then on Sat, we don't log our food and that is our cheat day. It has been working for us and generally if we stick to that process we lose a pound a week. We have been getting 10,000 plus steps a day pretty much religiously for the past few years.
Old 01-04-21, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 256 Likes on 184 Posts

I'm 6'3" and was a fucking rail in high school and could never get past 140 no matter how many McDonalds cheeseburgers I ate. College I started creeping up and started to get 175-180ish and felt pretty good there. Most of my adult life I hovered around 180-190 without thinking about too much. I wouldn't eat completely unhealthy and never spent a day in a gym, but typically played sports about 3-5x per week depending on the season. A lot of it for me was just monitoring my weight daily. When I started to approach 190, I just wouldn't get that fourth beer with dinner or would only have one double cheeseburger at lunch instead of two. After I got married, I started to balloon up. I think it was a combination of age, increased alcohol consumption, even worse dieting (if you did a Venn diagram of our favorite foods the crossover section was strictly high fat, unhealthy shit), and my wife took all the scales out of the house (she was very self conscious about body image and I guess not knowing what she weighed made her feel not as bad). When I went into my annual checkup after one year of marriage, I was up to 225. And since I hadn't weighed myself in a year, I had no idea how many pounds I had packed on.

So after separating in 2019, I made my 2020 goal to get back to my 185 weight. I kicked ass in January, ate right, drank less, and found my way downstairs to the gym to do aerobic exercise for 45 min a day for five days a week. I got down to under 200 (199.8 to be exact) in February and kind of plateaued there. Then we all know what happened in March and the gym closed, I was left at home all by myself with nothing to do but eat and drink, and I was back up to 225 by summer. I haven't really changed a lot since then and stay between 220 and 225 most of the time.

Now that we're in 2021, I'm just repeating my goal of getting down to 185. I'm starting on at least a six month cross country trip next Friday where I'll be camping in State and National Parks. I'll be able to hike, bike, and kayak daily which should get me plenty of exercise. I also bought a set of resistance bands for some additional workouts. With a lack of fridge space, I'm going to force myself to eat healthier and cut back on a lot of the alcohol. I'm hoping if I can just get back down to my target weight, and monitor my weight and what I eat/drink, I should be able to keep it there this time.
story (01-04-21)
Old 01-04-21, 11:00 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I gained about an inch on my belly last year which I'd like to get rid of. 1.5 inches would be good.
Old 01-04-21, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice to read other people's stories and see I am not alone.

I had a good week last week. No alcohol, very little processed sugar and stuck pretty close to my macros. I typically lose big on the first week when I do this and last week was no different. It is a nice loss but I know it will slow down considerably coming up so I have to keep my head in check.

Last Week: 206.0 lbs. & 24.9% bf.
This Week: 199.2 lbs. & 23.4% bf.

I won't be really happy until I see 185 lbs. That will be when the real serious work begins to lean down. I shouldn't have let myself get back up so high but hopefully I won't be in the 190s for long. I don't think I have ever abstained from alcohol for more than a week so going for a month+ should hopefully show some serious quick effects.
Old 01-04-21, 12:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

I feel like I say at the beginning of every year that "this is the year I fully commit to bettering myself!"

2020 was kind of a rough year for me, health wise. I went from 325lbs to about 345lbs (and I'm only 5'10"). Because of COVID and working from home, I've completely fallen off the wagon. I got a new job that paid more, but that just meant more money for eating out. And because I've been working from home these past 10 months, drinking 5-6 nights out of the week has become the norm. The one good thing was last summer my girlfriend and I bought a Peloton, and it's been great to use, when I use it. But I need more consistency if I want to see or feel any results from it.

I just turned 38 a few months ago, and it hit me pretty hard knowing that I'm just short bit away from entering my 40s, and I can't continue to live like I do and expect to stay happy and keep up the way I currently do. The signs are already starting to show. I'm on prescriptions for high blood pressure and gout, and getting winded comes way faster than it used to.

So, as I've said every other year, this is the year I'm committing to better myself. It's going to take a huge amount of self discipline, but I know I can do it. I'm going to log what I eat, and I am going to cut back drinking to just a couple times a week. And I really want to try for at least five 30 minute sessions on the Peloton every week.

Hope y'all don't mind, but I want to make this thread something that helps keep me accountable. Every week, I am going to check in with my current weight, a short recap of the previous week, and any thoughts I have moving forward. I can do this. I need to do this. I will do this!

Here's to a happy and healthier 2021!

Jan. 4th, 2021 - Week 01
343.6lbs
Spiderbite (01-04-21)
Old 01-04-21, 12:44 PM

One of my problems is that my knees hurt if I walk too much, so even though the spirit is willing, my body seems to be breaking down (and I'm not even 200 pounds). I've led an active life, but this recent arthritis is hard to deal with psychologically.
Old 01-04-21, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 329 Likes on 232 Posts

I dropped a bunch of weight over 4 years ago. I never weighed myself before, during or after the weight loss - didn't want to be obsessed with numbers. I was more concerned with how I felt and judging my weight by the size of my clothes and what I saw in the mirror (as well as what other people saw). It was a combination of eating better and less as well as a lot of cycling.

This past year I probably gained half that weight back (I'm guessing about 20-25 pounds). I can't blame covid as it didn't change my life enough in areas that would effect my weight. It was due to stress-eating caused by work. It was a very busy, hectic and stressful work year. I dreaded waking up every workday morning (still dread it), and while others drink or smoke to help with stress - I ate. It wasn't brutally unhealthy food, but definitely not healthy enough... and I ate too much and too often. It was a good thing I cycled a few times a week during the summer or I would've been back to my weight/size of before the weight loss over 4 years ago.

Just to be a cliche, I've started to address it on Jan. 1st. So far so good.
I'm on the exercise bike every day and I'm eating healthier and in smaller portions. I'm already feeling the difference and my gut is getting smaller after only 4 days.
I want/will get back in shape to be prepared for spring weather when I can start cycling outside again. I am SO looking forward to enjoying warmer weather and taking in the sites as I cycle to a bunch of different places. It's so much better than sitting in front of a computer all day long.

I may finally weigh myself when I feel like I've gotten to where I need to be - just to see what that actually translates to in numbers.
Matto1020 (01-05-21)
Old 01-05-21, 11:16 AM

Has anyone used a Peloton exercise bike? My wife has got it in her head that she wants one, but at such an insane price point I want to be sure that it’s worth it.
Old 01-05-21, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Has anyone used a Peloton exercise bike? My wife has got it in her head that she wants one, but at such an insane price point I want to be sure that itís worth it.
Has she biked before? Stationary or real?

I prefer elliptical machines.
Old 01-05-21, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by wearetheborg View Post
Has she biked before? Stationary or real?

I prefer elliptical machines.
She has used both at the gym. I actually prefer elliptical too.
Old 01-05-21, 11:45 AM

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

Has anyone used a Peloton exercise bike? My wife has got it in her head that she wants one, but at such an insane price point I want to be sure that itís worth it.
We bought our Peloton in the middle of 2020. I really enjoy it!

There are an abundance of classes and you can filter by your level of fitness, the length of time you go, the music they play, the instructors. And even after a 30 minute Beginners Ride I'm usually sweating and out of breath! All the instructors are quite different and you'll find that you look for classes with some over others (Cody is a ton of fun and pretty sassy, Sam Yo is very calming, and Jess King is very easy on the eyes ha ha!) When we first got it, I was riding 4-5 times a week... but that did slow down as we entered winter. But like I said in my previous post, I'm determined to get back to riding 4-5x a week again.

We have had a couple issues however. After about four months, our touch screen stopped functioning (a portion of the screen became unresponsive to touch), but Peloton shipped us out a new screen tablet and we had it two days later. They said they'd give us a shipping label to send the old one back, but that still hasn't come and we have a broken tablet sitting in our storage. Also, do not bother with the heart rate monitors... they are absolute garbage and stopped functions less than a few months after we got them. I've since bought arm band heart rate monitors on Amazon that sync up perfectly with the bike. Lastly, be prepared for a LOOONG wait list. We ended up waiting almost two months for our bike to get delivered, and I think I've heard that time has increased.

But those negatives haven't made us regret our purchase at all, and we really love the bike! It's a great workout and easy to get a 30-45 minute ride in. Plus you have access to their app which has a ton of other fitness classes such as yoga, strength training, cardio, etc. We have the app on our Apple TV so we can do extra workouts if we can't fit a bike ride in.

Let me know if there's anything else I can answer for ya!
Old 01-05-21, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you have a particular Chase CC (Either the Sapphire Preferred or the Sapphire Reserve) you can get Peleton credits back. Even though I donít have a bike, since I get the equivalent of 6 months free (basic, not full) I downloaded the app. Yes, very cool. There are more than biking sessions. My daughter really likes the short ď10 minuteĒ yoga sessions for post workout stretching. They also have running and weight lifting sessions.

Having said that, and has gotten me mildly interested in an exercise bike to go along with treadmill, I just canít pull the trigger on anything proprietary. What if they go under? They get bought up? What if they have an issue and have to dump classes (which Peleton did have to because of music copy right laws)? Or what if I want to try iFit for a while? Or the new Apple workouts?

I went through this when my treadmill busted early in pandemic. I ended up buying a heavy duty, well made, long warranty ďdumbĒ treadmill AND upgraded the TV I had to a smart TV and soundbar. This was less than an equivalent smart treadmill. And also dug out an old iPhone 6 I had in closet and hooked that to TV for even more options. Now I can try a random exercise program, jamb to my favorite YouTube music videos, watch CNN, watch my Cowboys look terrible last game of season, or get really pumped by watching Avengers End Game. Again.

Peleton (and a couple others) have done slick job of making a self contained unit. But if you donít want to use their particular program (either you donít want to pay for the monthly service or you just want to do something else this particular workout) that huge screen is worthless. Iím actually looking at exercise bikes that come with iFit (free for a year) but have no screen at all. Iíd rather use my 46Ē 4K TV. Or my iPad. Or iPhone.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sdallnct:
Spiderbite (01-05-21), wearetheborg (01-05-21)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.