Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else having a bummer time with the Postal Service?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 12-24-20, 08:59 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Bills not arriving on time? Payments not arriving on time? Packages not arriving on time? I've had one creditor (so far) waive a late charge because my check didn't reach them in time. Sent these out before the USPS annouced delays due to coronavirus and Christmas. Now I have to stay especially diligent of due dates, at least until these delays have run their course. I've seen the pic rduncan posted in the Amazon thread. Confirms what I've been reading/hearing.

I know, some of you would say you pay all your bills online. I do with a few of them but there are others where I send a paper check, not interested in connecting them with my bank account, but at least for the immediate future I have no choice.

Anyone with other USPS horror stories?
Old 12-24-20, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 145 Posts
Re: Anyone else having a bummer time with the Postal Service?

As I just posted in the Amazon thread, I can't buy the "official" reasons given for these delays and poor service. I think it's some sort of grooming for us to get used to worse service, and paying a lot more for a lot less in 2021 and beyond.

Thankfully, I've not personally experienced any dire problems yet, but I'm sure that I can expect them soon.
Old 12-24-20, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My nephew's gift won't arrive until after Christmas. At least he's 16 and able to understand the world lets you down sometimes, lol.
Old 12-24-20, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

My local branch’s delivery service was terrible even before the pandemic.
Old 12-24-20, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

We've had a package stalled at a local sorting center since November.

Two packages we shipped went to the same center. We have no confidence any of these will arrive in 2020.
Old 12-24-20, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 390 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
Anyone with other USPS horror stories?
Lots of horror stories. I worked for the USPS for about three years back in the mid- to late-90s. To this day it still amazes me anything ever gets delivered. Since then, I might mail two things per year.

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
As I just posted in the Amazon thread, I can't buy the "official" reasons given for these delays and poor service. I think it's some sort of grooming for us to get used to worse service, and paying a lot more for a lot less in 2021 and beyond.

Thankfully, I've not personally experienced any dire problems yet, but I'm sure that I can expect them soon.
I don’t know what the “official reasons” are ... but you had a severely mismanaged dysfunctional boondoggle to start with, then you add in the last four years of an Executive Branch f***ing with their operations ...
Old 12-24-20, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 271 Likes on 201 Posts

My sister in Indianapolis expected the mails to be slow, so she sent Christmas gifts out early. One package took 24 days before it left Indianapolis.
Old 12-25-20, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

I've been complaining a lot in the Ebay thread. The delays have been between one and two weeks for First Class and Priority. I've messaged a number of buyers (Ebay) about the delays and most have responded that they're aware and being patient (countering all those horror stories I used to hear about Ebay customers!). Fortunately, most have been delivered now. But I have a package coming to me (a rather expensive purchase!) that was mailed on the 6th of December, and hasn't moved since the 14th. The seller informed me that it's stuck in the Evansville, IN distribution center (which I knew from the tracking), and that COVID has really caused major problems there. Googling it, I saw that he was right. So all I can hope for at this point is that it eventually shows up and isn't truly lost.

Locally, my post office has been slow to scan packages. I drop stuff off in the morning, and used to see the initial scan by afternoon. Now it takes them until the following day, which makes it look like I'm not dropping stuff off quickly.
Old 12-25-20, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Heard on the news that on any given day there are 18,000 postal workers off work in quarantine due to testing positive for covid. Only delay I've ran across is last month's electric bill. Because of pandemic they are estimating as much as possible. They are not allowed to estimate three months in a row, Since all the meters had to be read on site they were running two weeks late getting the bills out.
Old 12-25-20, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I had a package shipped from Chicago, making a 60ish-mile journey here to Rockford. Twenty days later, it's still in Chicago.
Old 12-25-20, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have 12 packages currently marked as "In transit, arriving late" with no delivery date set. At least half of them haven't been scanned in a week. It sucks, but it is what it is. There isn't anything I can do to change it, so I just have to wait and see what eventually shows up.
Old 12-25-20, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Amazon somehow "damaged" my presents when it was just a couple stops from my house. Not one present mind you. The entire package became "undeliverable" on the 23rd and entire thing was canceled. Just in time to screw me!
Old 12-25-20, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

I've had a package sitting at my local post office all week--never makes it on the truck. Luckily, it's not a gift, so no big deal. With UPS, I almost had some fish get delivered on Monday. I got ahold of the fish store, and they had UPS expedite it, so it did show up in time. I would have been afraid to even open the box on Monday!
Old 12-25-20, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 223 Likes on 165 Posts

I've posted about this in one of the shipping threads. I talk to a postal worker once a week. Last few weeks he's mentioned how dozens of semis full of packages have been parked outside the facility because there's no room inside. He works maintenance and said they asked him to sort mail 12-hours a day, 7 days a week. He's been there 23 years and that's never happened.
Old 12-25-20, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 192 Posts

Damn, it looks like I made the right decision to stop selling on ebay/Amazon/Discogs until things got better. No biggie for me, it was just to make some extra cash, but I feel bad for the businesses that depend on the mail to sell their products, I'm sure it's been a nightmare for many.

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Lots of horror stories. I worked for the USPS for about three years back in the mid- to late-90s. To this day it still amazes me anything ever gets delivered. Since then, I might mail two things per year.
I'm in the logistics business (customs brokerage) and I'm also constantly amazed that anything gets delivered. Not just the USPS, we have to deal with all sorts of carriers, from FedEx and UPS to small operations, and the amount of carrier fuck ups that I see on a regular basis does make me surprised that people ever get what they ordered.
The following users liked this post:
fujishig (12-25-20)
Old 12-25-20, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I strongly suspected something like this was going to happen this year.

Even slightly before black friday, I didn't order much of anything. (Other than a few preorders which haven't been released yet).
Old 01-02-21, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 271 Likes on 201 Posts

We received our Christmas package today! My sister shipped it on December 9 and paid for second day delivery. It was delivered 24 days later.
Old 01-02-21, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 279 Likes on 199 Posts

So funny story. About 5 days or so ago our mailbox keys just stopped working at the community box. Couldn't figure it out. I finally caught the mailman. Explained the situation. He asked if i tried all 3 keys we got. Yes, I had. Showed him it didn't work. I thought maybe a piece of mail or small package got next to the lock mechanism and jammed it. Nope. He couldn't figure it out either. He pulls out all the mail then laughs. There is an envelope in there with 3 new keys. So they changed the locks on us but put them in the mailbox which I no longer had access to.

The only thing my wife and I can think of is we requested and received our locks to be fixed about 2 months ago. They came out and fixed it fairly quickly. My guess is the repair never got cleared so they found the repair request and did it again.
Old 01-02-21, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

A package shipped to my office on November 12 just arrived on Thursday.

A package shipped from my office on November 18 is still “in transit” and has been stuck at the same processing center for weeks.
Old 01-02-21, 08:03 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Placed an order at Home Depot (only place I could find the type of gloves I was looking for) on Dec. 16th, order page states expect delivery by Jan. 11th, so already almost a month just for HD to ship, I wonder how long it will take to actually get here once it's shipped, another month?
Old 01-02-21, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 384 Likes on 264 Posts

I ordered a Christmas gift in November, and the seller “fixed” my address afterwards, using the right street address but the wrong city/zip. (My order confirmation listed the correct address, so I know it wasn’t me.)

So, attempt #1 was returned as undeliverable. The seller promptly issued a replacement, but it’s been sucked into the black hole of the Baltimore distribution center. No scans, no movement, no nothin’ since December 11th. We’re past the 3 week mark. Even my last “in transit, arriving late” is from Dec. 15th — far enough in the rear view mirror that it’s no longer trackable on Informed Delivery.
Old 01-02-21, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 182 Posts

I have had something like $300 in merchandise stuck in the bowels of different distribution centers since early December with no signs of movement. One package included a box of Christmas CDs which obviously now won't get used until next December.

What's a little weird is that newer shipments are taking much more reasonable times - but any larger package that shipped in November through mid-December is taking forever.
Old 01-02-21, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
What's a little weird is that newer shipments are taking much more reasonable times - but any larger package that shipped in November through mid-December is taking forever.
It’s because the stuff that’s been there for a while is buried under new packages, so it tends to be last-in-first-out. And then more new packages take the place of what they’ve just processed, so it takes ages to work their way down to things from November and early December.
Old 01-02-21, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 368 Likes on 268 Posts

I have something I ordered weeks ago. It's sitting in Louisville somewhere and in the tracking it simply says "MISSENT." Anyone seen that before? I have no idea what that means.
Old 01-02-21, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Apparently that means it was misrouted, but the error’s been caught and it’s back on its way where it oughtta be.

I had something similar happen with the UHD box set of Dawn of the Dead, which arrived a month and a half later than expected with “missent to Thailand” stamped on the box. Better late than never!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.