Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else having a bummer time with the Postal Service?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Anyone else having a bummer time with the Postal Service?

Old 01-02-21, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts
Re: Anyone else having a bummer time with the Postal Service?

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I have something I ordered weeks ago. It's sitting in Louisville somewhere and in the tracking it simply says "MISSENT." Anyone seen that before? I have no idea what that means.
You live near Entwives?!
Old 01-03-21, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 183 Likes on 153 Posts

Supposedly they attempted to deliver a package yesterday but marked it as "Customer request hold" and it's at the PO. OK... No one attempted a delivery at the door (we were home all day) and other packages were in the mailbox - which was full. In the past, those would just get put on the porch (it's covered). I suspect the carrier was too lazy to get his butt out of the vehicle and walk up to the door. My wife said he looked very grumpy a couple of days prior when we had a pickup he had to come to the door to get (and it was outside the door - no interaction required). I'll be calling to complain about that one - assuming anyone will actually answer the phone.
Old 01-03-21, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 604 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
Apparently that means it was misrouted, but the errorís been caught and itís back on its way where it oughtta be.
Good call. It was supposed to be delivered on Christmas Eve, but that's when the MISSENT popped up. Looks like it went to the wrong zip code/post office. It was updated this morning and now shows it in my zip code, so I guess it should finally be here any day now.
The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (01-03-21)
Old 01-03-21, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 692 Likes on 567 Posts

I have an eBay package I sent on December 11th that hasnít reached its buyer yet. The buyer filed a claim, but wound up closing it saying sheíll wait another week.

Sheís tried doing package research cases and the first seemed like nothing came of it, and the second is still open. The last activity from the tracking was from the same day I sent it. It departed my local post office and went about seventy miles away to the next post office and it shows it departed there as well. After that nothing.

Kind of sucks because it was a collectible figure that had some value. So Iíll be out both it and the money if she goes through with the claim case. I should have added more insurance than Priority Mail provides, but Iíve been sending other packages of similar value and havenít had a problem.

If I decide to sell anything else Iím going with either UPS or FedEx.
Old 01-03-21, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

I've encountered a few hiccups but have been lucky. I had one package that was supposed to arrive on a Monday, but showed up on a Friday.

Last weekend I ordered some books from a small independent seller 500 miles away from home. I was in no hurry, so chose the cheaper media mail option. Didn't even get a shipping notice and they were at my front door in 3-4 days.
Old 01-03-21, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 247 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I have an eBay package I sent on December 11th that hasnít reached its buyer yet. The buyer filed a claim, but wound up closing it saying sheíll wait another week.

Sheís tried doing package research cases and the first seemed like nothing came of it, and the second is still open. The last activity from the tracking was from the same day I sent it. It departed my local post office and went about seventy miles away to the next post office and it shows it departed there as well. After that nothing.

Kind of sucks because it was a collectible figure that had some value. So Iíll be out both it and the money if she goes through with the claim case. I should have added more insurance than Priority Mail provides, but Iíve been sending other packages of similar value and havenít had a problem.

If I decide to sell anything else Iím going with either UPS or FedEx.
I keep an eye on everything I send out from Ebay, and if it goes over a week I contact the buyer to let them know that USPS is being slow and that I'm going to keep tracking it until it's delivered. That has garnered appreciative replies and no threats of filing claims. A seller actually sent me a similar message for a delayed package I had coming. When it finally arrived I gave him exemplary feedback.
Old 01-03-21, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
I keep an eye on everything I send out from Ebay, and if it goes over a week I contact the buyer to let them know that USPS is being slow and that I'm going to keep tracking it until it's delivered. That has garnered appreciative replies and no threats of filing claims. A seller actually sent me a similar message for a delayed package I had coming. When it finally arrived I gave him exemplary feedback.
I had been keeping track of the tracking. I keep all my receipts from the post office and check the eBay app frequently where tracking is available.

This person knows whatís up too. She also sells on eBay, which to me is a bit odd that sheís already after me. She says the figure was a gift for her son and heís getting impatient.

I get it sucks, but the Mail issue is a known thing right now and it isnít like I can help it. I guess if I eat the cost thatís that and not much I can do as eBay will basically always side with the buyer.

Honestly I think Iím done with eBay anyways. Only started this year. It hasnít been a bad experience, but if I try hard enough there are other places I can sell things without paying a fee. Iíve sold a few other figures on a message board and all have gone smoothly and have sold for higher amounts that I donít have to pay fees.
Old 01-03-21, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Still haven't got my Friday the 13th replacement disks. They were shipped in November. At this point I'm holding off on buying anything that I know is being shipped via USPS.
Old 01-05-21, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 144 Posts

I ordered some gifts for my wife for Xmas back on 12/10 and received them yesterday. I ordered some new socks for her Friday (also Amazon) and also got them yesterday.
Old 01-05-21, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 183 Likes on 153 Posts

Outside the occasional delay with things going through the Memphis TN, and week long ones through the Oxford MS, or Pittsburgh PA, hubs I have more problems with Amazon's "shipping partners" picking up from the Atlanta warehouse getting things delivered. So far, one shipment has been completely lost and another was taken to the wrong distribution center which triggered a return (and I'm furious about that one as it had several discounts attached, which are no longer available - I'll be venting to Amazon soon).
Old 01-05-21, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Luckily it looks like the package I sent out is out for delivery today. Hopefully it arrives in good shape and didnít encounter any damage.
Old 01-05-21, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
Outside the occasional delay with things going through the Memphis TN, and week long ones through the Oxford MS, or Pittsburgh PA, hubs I have more problems with Amazon's "shipping partners" picking up from the Atlanta warehouse getting things delivered. So far, one shipment has been completely lost and another was taken to the wrong distribution center which triggered a return (and I'm furious about that one as it had several discounts attached, which are no longer available - I'll be venting to Amazon soon).
My biggest issues have been the Birmingham, Oxford and Memphis hubs. I have one package stuck at Oxford since 12-17 with zero movement since then and the same at Memphis with one sitting there since 12-11! What the fuck??? Any way to jump start these that have been just sitting for 2 or more weeks?

I have had two people requesting refunds due to the delay on ebay but luckily one got delivered after sitting at a hub for 3 week with no movement right at the end of their request. I am fending off another one as we speak (the 12-11 Memphis one). Then I have other packages that I mailed a week or two ago on Media Mail and they were delivered in record time. I have sent out two more message to others hoping heading a future refund request off at the pass.

I just wish they would clear out all the old stuff and get it done before doing the new packages.
Old 01-05-21, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Many hubs suck right now. It's not really about the hub. My question is how long will it take till the Christmas mail is gone.

I think the bottleneck is with the trucks. Mail still gets sorted and put into the mail carts. But the carts just sit and sit as overfill. Priority Mail probably gets ... priority ... over First Class and lesser mail.

I had a few missing packages, which doesn't make sense if the packages are just waiting on delay. Luckily it hasn't been anything very expensive. Just some little $10 and $40 type orders.

FedEx is also behind. Their 2-day service is 3 day if you're lucky right now. My Overnight packages are still getting there on time.
Old 01-05-21, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 249 Likes on 147 Posts

I watched tracking on a package from New Jersey go Birmingham -> Montgomery -> Birmingham -> Montgomery -> Birmingham -> Montgomery -> Auburn. How does that even happen?
Old 01-05-21, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

It probably didn't. Someone is probably updating tracking in batches on packages that are still sitting at the origin.

My local PO does it. Tracking will show 85016 (my zip code) to 85043 (main Phoenix hub) and back and forth till it actually scans at 85043 and leaves on a truck.

My local PO actually has ongoing backlog issues. They're just worse right now. When my little business has too many packages, I can't risk the delay and drive them to the main hub myself (it's an extra 20 minutes on the way home).
Old 01-05-21, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I must be really lucky as I have almost never had any issue with USPS.

Everything I send out for EBAY arrives without issue, I get mostly junk mail at home so I am not missing anything. Even UPS and FedEx have been good for me. The last issue I can think of was an order for by brother-in-law that took over two weeks to arrive by USPS. Not sure if it was the holidays or something else but he got it.
Old 01-05-21, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 245 Posts

I mailed a package on Dec 12 through media mail and it has been in Oakland since Dec 16 when it should have arrived in MA weeks ago.
Old 01-05-21, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 780 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Many hubs suck right now. It's not really about the hub. My question is how long will it take till the Christmas mail is gone.

I think the bottleneck is with the trucks. Mail still gets sorted and put into the mail carts. But the carts just sit and sit as overfill. Priority Mail probably gets ... priority ... over First Class and lesser mail.

I had a few missing packages, which doesn't make sense if the packages are just waiting on delay. Luckily it hasn't been anything very expensive. Just some little $10 and $40 type orders.

FedEx is also behind. Their 2-day service is 3 day if you're lucky right now. My Overnight packages are still getting there on time.
As I said before, my sister sent the Christmas cookies by 2nd Day Priority Mail. It took 24 days.

I'm not all that concerned about the late shipment of cookies. It's not like it's my thyroid meds. But I am annoyed that a 2nd Day package went to the bottom of the pallet. It could have been important.

(I am glad that I resisted the pressure to get my prescription drugs by mail.)
Old 01-05-21, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 908 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Priority Mail probably gets ... priority ... over First Class and lesser mail.
From what Iím hearing, anyway: Express, yes. Priority, no.

FWIW, the Christmas gift I ordered thatís been in Baltimore for three and a half weeks (and counting) is Priority.
Old 01-06-21, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
FWIW, the Christmas gift I ordered thatís been in Baltimore for three and a half weeks (and counting) is Priority.
Is it at Linthicum Heights? That facility has been a nightmare.
Old 01-06-21, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 247 Likes on 147 Posts

Apparently "signature confirmation" doesn't mean what it used to. The last two packages that were supposed to require a signature (mine!) were left - but with the delivery guy knowing I was there. First time, I was putting my dog out so I could safely open the screen door, but the guy just left it. Second time - different guy - did his scanning of it while I was standing inside the door. I sort of questioned those, but figured they knew I was right there, so no big deal.

Today I knew I had another signature package coming. Doorbell rings, and when I get there the postal guy is already at the next house and my package (rather valuable, too!) was sitting on the porch. That bothered me. He couldn't know for sure I was home. I checked the tracking later and it said the package was "left with individual". That bothers me. Is this just a time-saving thing USPS is doing now?
Old 01-06-21, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
Apparently "signature confirmation" doesn't mean what it used to. The last two packages that were supposed to require a signature (mine!) were left - but with the delivery guy knowing I was there. First time, I was putting my dog out so I could safely open the screen door, but the guy just left it. Second time - different guy - did his scanning of it while I was standing inside the door. I sort of questioned those, but figured they knew I was right there, so no big deal.

Today I knew I had another signature package coming. Doorbell rings, and when I get there the postal guy is already at the next house and my package (rather valuable, too!) was sitting on the porch. That bothered me. He couldn't know for sure I was home. I checked the tracking later and it said the package was "left with individual". That bothers me. Is this just a time-saving thing USPS is doing now?
I'd prefer that over the alternative: they take your package back to the local Post Office or distribution center ... then put it in the back (next to that dusty Ark of the Covenant).
Old 01-06-21, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

^^ Yeah, they charged $6 for a registered letter being sent locally (same zip code) to me that just arrived four weeks late and was left in my mailbox without any signature. Terrible service.
Old 01-06-21, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 908 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by Vipper II View Post
Is it at Linthicum Heights? That facility has been a nightmare.
Vanilla Baltimore in my case.

Looking at /r/usps_complaints, it seems like Maryland overall and into DC are just postal black holes. It feels like I see more people complaining about Linthicum Heights than any other distribution center in the country, though.
Old 01-07-21, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 440 Likes on 311 Posts

My parents ordered something for me from ebay for Christmas. It was mailed priority more than a week in advance and has just sat at that first distribution station ever since (I think she said in New York). The ebay seller has emailed my mom and said he has many buyers complaining about stalled packages.

I've been sort of talking my mom down because she keeps talking about requesting a refund or leaving negative feedback. I keep telling her it's not the seller's fault and to try to stay patient and see if there's any movement. The one thing that she has mentioned that makes her angry toward the seller is that she feels like he could have at least offered to refund shipping or the cost of her choosing the faster shipping. I see that complaint, even if it's not really the seller's fault. I try to remind her she didn't order from Amazon, but let's face it. The seller really is in a no-win situation here.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.