Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Itís the beginning of the end of COVID-19!!! Vaccines are here and Iím getting mine in a few days.

Other Talk "Otterville"

Itís the beginning of the end of COVID-19!!! Vaccines are here and Iím getting mine in a few days.

Old 12-14-20, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 307 Likes on 222 Posts

I know we already have several COVID-19 threads but I think this deserves some individual attention and celebration. Plus I want to mark this day and see how long it will be from this day to when we can say we have a handle on COVID-19.

So my hospital was the first in the state to receive shipment from Pfizer and our CEO was the first person immunized in the state as a non clinical trail participant. Ten people are getting vaccinated today, 100 doctors and nurses tomorrow with the rest of the staff following over the next few days. Iím scheduled to receive the vaccine on Thursday. I was excited when my manager called to ask us to bring a cart to the loading dock. I thought for sure it was the vaccine but it was just his water and soda supply. He did have the coolers that he bought to transport the vaccine to the other hospitals the the high tech kitty litter scooper he got to handle the dry ice for transporting the vaccine. I tell you this is cutting edge biotech here.

UF Health CEO gets first COVID-19 vaccine in Jacksonville
https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2020/12/14/first-doses-of-covid-19-vaccines-in-jacksonville-to-be-given-before-noon/

Popular Reply

12-16-20, 05:33 PM
Decker
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,964 Likes on 1,256 Posts
Re: Itís the beginning of the end of COVID-19!!! Vaccines are here and Iím getting mine in a few days.

I'm vaccinated bitches!

Didnít hurt at all. Just like a flu shot. Was given a COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card from the CDC. Had to schedule a second dose for 1/6/21.
They are making us wait in a chair for 15 minutes like after you give blood.

I feel like celebrating. Where do they serve BRAINZ?
Old 12-14-20, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 803 Likes on 634 Posts
Re: Itís the beginning of the end of COVID-19!!! Vaccines are here and Iím getting mine in a few days.

Have we turned the corner yet?

I kid, I kid. Good news!
Old 12-14-20, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Have we turned the corner yet?

I kid, I kid. Good news!
Haha thatís a good point though. Itís just the first step down a long road. So donít let your guard down, keep masking, and doing all the things we know to do now.

What Iím hoping is that even with a small number of strategic people getting vaccinated we can put a dent in this thing and especially the number of deaths. Iím hoping that we soon get to a point where this thing disappears. Thatís not based on anything except what happened with the first SARS pandemic. Of course this has found a much stronger foothold in the world then SARS ever did.
The following users liked this post:
zyzzle (12-15-20)
Old 12-14-20, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

That's great to hear! At the very least, it'll be nice knowing that health care workers aren't having to risk their own lives to such an extent to help us.
Old 12-14-20, 10:43 AM
Admin

Received 296 Likes on 190 Posts

We should have had a poll to see if we can guess when we will get access to the vaccine. My guess for myself is May.
Old 12-14-20, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
We should have had a poll to see if we can guess when we will get access to the vaccine. My guess for myself is May.
Hereís what I know about that. Thereís an expected 40 million doses expected to be available by the end of the year. Then an expected 25-30 million doses per month available after that. Thatís amongst all the different vaccines so of course thatís a mutable number. My retail friends have said theyíve already got the ultra low freezers. How they fit that in the pharmacy I have no idea. Theyíre guessing sometime in January receiving shipment. Walgreens and CVS have already stated that they want to vaccinate nursing home residents and other vulnerable populations so Iím sure itíll take awhile for that to happen. My guess is that around March or April it will start being available to the general public or maybe general public with risk factors.
Old 12-14-20, 11:05 AM

Looks like Wednesday for me.
Looking forward to it.

Old 12-14-20, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here it is being delivered to our pharmacy. Sorry itís embedded in FB Iím not sure how to remove it.

https://fb.watch/2nm7bGuygg/
Old 12-14-20, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Yay...nice to see non-clinical vaccination doses are officially in play. I am not a fan of needles, but I will make sure get the shot (shots?) as soon as I can. I think folks are right that sometime in April/May is when the shots will be available to the filthy unwashed masses like myself (lol). There are a lot of health care workers and other essential folks who have rightfully called dibs on getting the shot but vaccine deliveries should be in full swing in 60-90 days so folks like myself will get a bite at the apple.

Old 12-14-20, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I can't wait to start seeing the case numbers go down drastically. My family has been safe so far, but I've been clamping down on risks even more lately. I feel like I'm the police captain on his last day before retirement, and I don't want us to contract it now. Congrats to all of you who are first in line, and those of you who come after.
Old 12-14-20, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Which one is it that one is not supposed to shake? Is that the Pfizer one? I hope all who administer the vaccine are being adequately trained so that we don't end up with a bunch of vaccinated people getting COVID because some excited vaccine giver shook the bottle too vigorously.
Old 12-14-20, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Looks like Wednesday for me.
Looking forward to it.
oh man you got me by a day Decker.

Originally Posted by danwiz View Post
Which one is it that one is not supposed to shake? Is that the Pfizer one? I hope all who administer the vaccine are being adequately trained so that we don't end up with a bunch of vaccinated people getting COVID because some excited vaccine giver shook the bottle too vigorously.
All vaccines are delicate in nature. They are proteins which are much more fragile than chemicals. So yes no shaking. Trust me when I say that these vaccines are being very closely monitored through the whole process. No one is going to shake these. Everyone giving the Vaccines knows of its delicate nature as well and are trained.
danwiz (12-15-20)
Old 12-14-20, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
oh man you got me by a day Decker.
I have a three day window, but now I am adamant that I have to get it on Wednesday just to beat you!

I think I will try my the in-house COVID antibody test next week on myself to see if the first dose of the shot produced a response, though I know I will need a second shot regardless.
Old 12-14-20, 12:35 PM

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

I'm at the very backend of the line, so I'm thinking no earlier than April...but I think if they knew how many local bars depended on my business it would bump me up.
The following 2 users liked this post by Groucho:
Decker (12-14-20), Toddarino (12-16-20)
Old 12-14-20, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 391 Likes on 277 Posts

The first vaccinated Otters should be put in quarantine and under observation (meaning chained in the basement) for 2 weeks. Do we really want vaccinated Decker and tanman just running around Otter? What if they turn into zombies? Or worse, Trump supporters!
Norm de Plume (12-14-20)
Old 12-14-20, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,128 Likes on 842 Posts

I'm also in the way back of the line. Probably won't get it until April or May at the absolute earliest.

My Mom and Dad are 68 and 72 respectively, so they'll probably get it sooner than me.
Old 12-14-20, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
The first vaccinated Otters should be put in quarantine and under observation (meaning chained in the basement) for 2 weeks. Do we really want vaccinated Decker and tanman just running around Otter? What if they turn into zombies? Or worse, Trump supporters!
Don't worry. These vaccines have been well researched and clinically trialed. I am comfortable with the safety profile. Not saying that it will be a perfect roll out or that there won't be any mild issues with the vaccines, but I assure you that nothing so terrible will happen that it will make me become a Trump supporter.
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
Adam Tyner (12-14-20), eXcentris (12-14-20)
Old 12-14-20, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 426 Likes on 347 Posts

Blacks and Latinos are at higher risk, so I think we'll be getting it sooner here than later. How soon? I don't know, but I'm ready for it.
Old 12-14-20, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

The only vaccine I got today was the Hep A vaccine haha

I anxiously wait for reviews regarding this covid vaccine. Hope all goes well.
Old 12-14-20, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post

I anxiously wait for reviews regarding this covid vaccine.
"Truly infectious!" "A real shot in the arm for the industry!" "Everyone should give this new vaccine a shot!"
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
milo bloom (12-14-20), MLBFan24 (12-14-20)
Old 12-14-20, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 168 Likes on 103 Posts

Moderna, Johnson & Johnson, and AstraZeneca should have theirs available in a week or so. The rest of us may not have to wait until April.
VinVega (12-14-20)
Old 12-14-20, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 172 Posts

Congratulations, tanman and Decker! But don't go getting all big-headed on us.
Old 12-14-20, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 390 Likes on 187 Posts

I don't know when I will get vaccination but I am wayyyyyyyyyyyyy at the back of the line since I can work from home. My dad, who is 94, lives with me and is in hospice care with cancer although he's not exhibiting any symptoms at present. If we weren't being so careful about staying home all the time (basically we only leave home for doctor's appointments; I have everything delivered), it would be different. If his hospice offers him the vaccine we'll take it. Otherwise I figure on late spring early summer.
Old 12-14-20, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Congratulations, tanman and Decker! But don't go getting all big-headed on us.
Wait, is hydrocephalus a potential side effect of the vaccine?
Old 12-14-20, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
Yay...nice to see non-clinical vaccination doses are officially in play. I am not a fan of needles, but I will make sure get the shot (shots?) as soon as I can. I think folks are right that sometime in April/May is when the shots will be available to the filthy unwashed masses like myself (lol). There are a lot of health care workers and other essential folks who have rightfully called dibs on getting the shot but vaccine deliveries should be in full swing in 60-90 days so folks like myself will get a bite at the apple.
Hope that works out. Just read an article yesterday that said we won't get to herd immunity until 75% - 80% of the U.S. population is vaccinated... calculated to happen sometime about the end of next summer. Of course, what wasn't mentioned and addressed was the fact that 70+ million people believe the virus and pandemic are fake news, so dealing with them probably wasn't figured into that calculation.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.