Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Itís the beginning of the end of COVID-19!!! Vaccines are here and Iím getting mine in a few days.

Other Talk "Otterville"

Itís the beginning of the end of COVID-19!!! Vaccines are here and Iím getting mine in a few days.

Old 01-10-21, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,135 Likes on 691 Posts
Re: Itís the beginning of the end of COVID-19!!! Vaccines are here and Iím getting mine in a few days.

Wow tanman, that is night-and-day different from what I have experienced with my second dose. I hope mine worked, and I hope you didnít actually get COVID or flu. Itís gonna be hard to convince people to get vaccinated if high fevers and malaise are even relatively common side effects. I have been asking around the Doctors Lounge and hadnít heard much. My NP felt bad after her second dose, but no fever as of Friday (which was the day she got the shot #2).
Will do my antibody test Monday...
Old 01-10-21, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 213 Likes on 143 Posts
Re: Itís the beginning of the end of COVID-19!!! Vaccines are here and Iím getting mine in a few days.

Got mine scheduled for Thursday. Pfizer one.

Coincidentally, my wife got a call from her employer. She is the regular grouping for vaccine schedule, so she would not be getting it until it opens to everyone. Her employer found a program here where if the employees volunteer to work an 8 hour shift at the vaccination site, they get the vaccine that day. They got ten slots, so she was the first call in her company. She gets hers on the 19th when she works the shift.
Old 01-10-21, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 183 Likes on 107 Posts

I hope my reaction isn’t like tanman’s. My second dose is 8am Tuesday morning, and I then have to work Tuesday night 7pm-7am.
Old 01-10-21, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 185 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Wow tanman, that is night-and-day different from what I have experienced with my second dose. I hope mine worked, and I hope you didnít actually get COVID or flu. Itís gonna be hard to convince people to get vaccinated if high fevers and malaise are even relatively common side effects. I have been asking around the Doctors Lounge and hadnít heard much. My NP felt bad after her second dose, but no fever as of Friday (which was the day she got the shot #2).
Yeah I don't know it was pretty crazy. I knew reactions were a lot more common with the 2nd dose but didn't expect that whammy. Although I did hear stories in the news of some people saying they had similar reactions and like I said our hotline did state that they had several calls like that. We're talking about thousands of employees though so I'm not sure exactly how common that is. But I think it's important not to hide that this is a possibility with the vaccine and to let people to prepare for it and know it's a possibility. I think it's better to tell people then not. And yeah there is the possibility I was actually sick. I'm personally not too concerned about it. I was isolating myself at home for the first couple days just in case but I think I'm fine. Still feel just a little off but I think that's just a side effect of having that high of a fever. I'm still working from home though just in case.
Old 01-11-21, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 216 Likes on 131 Posts

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I can’t actually find out a lot of info about this here in Minnesota - for the vaccines, do you just wait until someone calls you to tell you it’s time for yours? I guess I’m in the 1c group (work in media) and I see that isn’t scheduled until like the end of March so I’m not expecting it anytime soon but I’m just curious about what happens when that date gets closer.

EDIT: I have found info for Minnesota that there is no waiting list and they or your employer will just let you know when it's time. I think I'm just confused as I've never done a vaccine like this and with something like the flu vaccine it's not like anyone tells you when to go, you just go.

Last edited by Draven; 01-11-21 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-11-21, 12:46 PM

And there it is (with my initials white out). I am now demonstrably immune to COVID-19, and we know it was from the shot as I was Negative after the first dose.
The following 9 users liked this post by Decker:
AGuyNamedMike (01-13-21), Deftones (01-11-21), emanon (01-11-21), Giantrobo (01-12-21), Michael Corvin (01-12-21), milo bloom (01-11-21), story (01-11-21), tanman (01-11-21), William Fuld (01-16-21) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-11-21, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 97 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
I posted this a little too early

Just a couple hours after posting this I started feeling really bad. I could feel I had some kind of fever and actually had to go home early from work. Which is a really big deal since there's only two of us overnight. I remember one New Years Eve I got food poisoning in between leaving a party and going to work and threw up at least 8 times that night. Had to stay for most of the shift. Luckily my current partner is a lot more capable and a lot younger than my near retirement partner at the time. After going home and going to bed when I woke up later that day with a 103.5 fever. Felt like I was hit by a mack truck. It took awhile for me to get it under control at 102 and I had some kind of fever for over 24 hours. Had to call in to work that night and the rest of this weekend I'm actually working from home just to be sure it's not actually COVID. Called our COVID hotline and they said they are getting a lot of similar calls with high temps. No other symptoms so I'm pretty sure its a vaccine reaction. The theory is that if you have a strong reaction it's a good sign as it means your body is responding to the vaccine. If that's the case then I should be bullet proof to COVID now.

Of course it's totally worth it, even with this extreme of a reaction, but if you can schedule the second dose when you aren't doing anything important. From talking with a lot of other people it seems to kick in about 24 hours after getting the shot so it's not usually an immediate reaction. Which makes sense considering it probably takes your body a little bit of time to manufacture the spike protein.
My aunt had a similar reaction after the second shot. She had a temperature for a couple of days and felt really sick, but then it just passed. She has felt fine since then.
Old 01-11-21, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And there it is (with my initials white out). I am now demonstrably immune to COVID-19, and we know it was from the shot as I was Negative after the first dose.
Nice....That and you don't have any IgM abs so it was a recent event. Lines up perfectly with the vaccine. Thanks for sharing Decker.
The following users liked this post:
Decker (01-12-21)
Old 01-12-21, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got my 2nd shot this morning around 12 hours ago. So far, just a sore arm and exactly the same as the first shot. If nothing else happens tonight, I guess that was pretty easy. Curious why there is a wide variety of reactions to the 2nd shot. Could it depend on how robust our immune system is at baseline?
Old 01-12-21, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
Nice....That and you don't have any IgM abs so it was a recent event. Lines up perfectly with the vaccine. Thanks for sharing Decker.
IgM would be from a recent/current infection. At least that is how it works with Mononucleosis. I don't think this vaccine gives an IgM response because it's not actually an infection. I would assume a live attenuated vacation would, but not an mRNA subgroup. Beyond my full understanding though.

Edit : I think this paper by Nature confirms that you get just IgG, not IgM antibody
Old 01-12-21, 09:49 AM

I just got my second dose about 45 minutes ago.

The following 11 users liked this post by Tom Banjo:
AGuyNamedMike (01-13-21), danwiz (01-12-21), Deftones (01-12-21), DJariya (01-12-21), emanon (01-12-21), Kevin Phillips (01-12-21), Michael Corvin (01-12-21), milo bloom (01-12-21), slop101 (01-12-21), tanman (01-12-21), William Fuld (01-16-21) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-12-21, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

IgM would be from a recent/current infection. At least that is how it works with Mononucleosis. I don't think this vaccine gives an IgM response because it's not actually an infection. I would assume a live attenuated vacation would, but not an mRNA subgroup. Beyond my full understanding though.

Edit : I think this paper by Nature confirms that you get just IgG, not IgM antibody

Oh yeah youíre right. IgM is the pentamer one that shows up first then disappears quickly. I was getting it confused with IgE which is the one that shows up 4 weeks later.
Old 01-12-21, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 309 Likes on 227 Posts

The wife (an RN) got her second dose today. She just left for a 12 hour shift feeling achy.
Old 01-12-21, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
The wife (an RN) got her second dose today. She just left for a 12 hour shift feeling achy.
Iím 2 hours into my 12 hour shift right now. I was really worried about tonight after hearing so many say that the second one is worse. But my experience has been the opposite. My arm is sore, but I donít have aches all up and down my neck and back like I did after the first one.
Old 01-13-21, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 96 Likes on 73 Posts

I personally know way more people who've now gotten the vaccine than I know people who've had covid.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (01-14-21)
Old 01-13-21, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
My friends that got the 2nd Pfizer shot mentioned feeling a bit achy, primarily in their joints, and chills after 12 hours, but nothing crazy.
I felt tenderness at injection site after first injection, but nothing at all after second. Seems a number are having some minor adverse effects. Guess i got lucky.
Old 01-13-21, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

My wife got her second shot on Monday and it pretty much knocked her on her ass for a good 24 hours. She said she was still achey this morning, but seems to have improved.
Old 01-13-21, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 309 Likes on 227 Posts

Well, my wife returned home around 4 am (3 hours before her shift is supposed to end) with a 102 fever. She's been sleeping since.
Old 01-13-21, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So how does someone (who doesn't work in a hospital) even know if/when it's their turn for the vaccine?
There's some info on tier groups out there, but it's pretty vague as to the process of exactly how/when/where to go about it all.
Old 01-13-21, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
So how does someone (who doesn't work in a hospital) even know if/when it's their turn for the vaccine?
There's some info on tier groups out there, but it's pretty vague as to the process of exactly how/when/where to go about it all.
play the waiting game
I'm in the food industry so I'll be near the top of the list
Old 01-13-21, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's a vaccine registration site, but it's slammed and you have to try to sign in every morning sorta religiously just to maybe get an appointment, after which, if you're lucky enough to get one, you'll be waiting around 3 hours for your first shot.

https://covid19.othena.com/patient-r...tion/agreement
Old 01-13-21, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I was just successful in making an appointment - WHOOPEE!! They have 645 slots open for folks over 65 and I lucked out and got one of them. I feel very fortunate.
The following 2 users liked this post by danwiz:
AGuyNamedMike (01-13-21), Decker (01-13-21)
Old 01-13-21, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

My best friend's wife was in the second group for vaccines but died Sunday. She was hoping L.A. County would accelerate the groups after the first group took four weeks just to get to 30% vaccinated. So many in the first group were hesitant to get the shots and the County let the vaccines sit unused.
Old 01-13-21, 07:25 PM

Received 154 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Simple. When they don't tell you, then you KNOW you're in for a very, very long wait. I think "normal" people won't be getting vaccinated until at least October at this rate, with so many teeming millions in Calif to get through. So, I'm basically hoping that because I'm a teacher (umm, correction, *was* before being put on indefinite furlough) that I might stand a chance at getting vaccinated by July or August (!). But, I'm prepared for waiting up to a full year. It wouldn't surprise me. It wouldn't surprise me at all.
Old 01-14-21, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Iím also not very optimistic at this point vaccines will be available anytime this spring to average people. I really doubt a new administration in DC is going to make a huge difference - Iíd love to be proven wrong. There will still be plenty of fuckups at the state and local levels.

Last year in March I thought I could handle a year of this no problem. 10 months in and I am definitely cracking a bit. Looks like itís going to be another 8 months minimum before being able to live somewhat normally again. Iím not even sure Iíll be me anymore at that point.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 01-14-21 at 12:17 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.