Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Itís the beginning of the end of COVID-19!!! Vaccines are here and Iím getting mine in a few days.

Other Talk "Otterville"

Itís the beginning of the end of COVID-19!!! Vaccines are here and Iím getting mine in a few days.

Old 01-05-21, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 206 Likes on 147 Posts
Re: Itís the beginning of the end of COVID-19!!! Vaccines are here and Iím getting mine in a few days.

I don't understand this. It hasn't been studied why are they even considering doing this? I understand the dire need to distribute the vaccine but not at the cost of giving up effectiveness.

The FDA is meeting this week to consider giving half-doses of Moderna's COVID-19 vaccine to people ages 18 to 55.
https://kttc.com/2021/01/04/fda-to-c...ple-get-shots/

Doctors in the United Kingdom are pushing back on health officials’ decision to change the vaccine schedule on Pfizer’s Covid-19 immunizations, saying it fails to “follow the science.”

U.K. health regulators on Wednesday said they would prioritize giving as many people their first dose of vaccine as quickly as possible, which could delay providing those who have already been inoculated their second dose by up to 12 weeks. Pfizer’s Covid-19 vaccine, which it developed with BioNTech, recommends administering the second shot three weeks after the initial dose.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/31/doct...ine-plan-.html

Also this pharmacist is an asshole and definitely not representative of the profession.

A Wisconsin pharmacist accused of deliberately sabotaging more than 500 doses of a Covid-19 vaccine has told investigators that he tampered with the vials because he believed them to be unsafe.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1782442.html

Last edited by tanman; 01-05-21 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-05-21, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Itís the beginning of the end of COVID-19!!! Vaccines are here and Iím getting mine in a few days.

Getting the first shot done Thursday evening.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nesbit:
Michael Corvin (01-05-21), tanman (01-05-21)
Old 01-05-21, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Did a test today. Still antibody negative. Will continue to check at least after my second dose on 1/6/21, if not before,
You're on deck for tomorrow right? Are you going to do another ab test before you get it? Let us know how you feel. I'll be getting mine the day after.
Old 01-06-21, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 91 Likes on 60 Posts

My wife got her first shot yesterday. She works in a doctors office.
Old 01-06-21, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Got my first dose of the Pfizer cocktail yesterday; wife goes in on Friday.
The following 2 users liked this post by lopper:
Deftones (01-06-21), Michael Corvin (01-08-21)
Old 01-06-21, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,227 Likes on 747 Posts

You see this shiny new sticker on my hospital badge? That means I am fully immunized against COVID-19, y'all!
The following 7 users liked this post by Decker:
AGuyNamedMike (01-08-21), bunkaroo (01-06-21), Deftones (01-06-21), emanon (01-06-21), lopper (01-06-21), milo bloom (01-06-21), tanman (01-06-21) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-07-21, 05:37 PM

My wife directed me to this V-Safe site, sponsored by the CDC. They will test you after your vaccine to monitor for any symptoms you may develop.
Nice way to keep tabs on any possible side effects and their frequency.

Thankfully I have nothing today, not even the sore arm I got the day after my first dose.
Old 01-07-21, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

My sister is a pharmacist and also has got both doses (Pfizer) and is fine.

Great news!!

So far anyway.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (01-07-21)
Old 01-07-21, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 242 Likes on 167 Posts

I can make an appointment starting Monday for my shot. My guess is it will take a week or two to get in a slot.
Old 01-07-21, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
I can make an appointment starting Monday for my shot. My guess is it will take a week or two to get in a slot.
What is your priority level, if you don't mind me asking? Age, health, occupation or just anybody who wants it?
The following users liked this post:
whotony (01-07-21)
Old 01-07-21, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 242 Likes on 167 Posts

What is your priority level, if you don't mind me asking? Age, health, occupation or just anybody who wants it?
Occupation. Law enforcement
Old 01-07-21, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I got the 1st vaccine dose (Moderna) on Dec 23rd. I caught covid on Dec 24th
Old 01-07-21, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You see this shiny new sticker on my hospital badge? That means I am fully immunized against COVID-19, y'all!
Nice! We got...nothing. No wait they had mints. My cousin said his hospital had a party at the vaccine site with snacks and decorations and the real kicker is they got 8 hours of PL time as incentive for getting the shot. I guess that's what I get for working at the indigent care public hospital.

I'm being facetious. I'm just thrilled to be taken out of the fight so to speak. I don't have to be so nervous about going to codes or wandering around the hospital anymore. I really can't wait for everyone to be able to get it so I can feel the same relief for them.

My wife directed me to this V-Safe site, sponsored by the CDC. They will test you after your vaccine to monitor for any symptoms you may develop.
Nice way to keep tabs on any possible side effects and their frequency.

Thankfully I have nothing today, not even the sore arm I got the day after my first dose.
This second shot is beating me up a bit. About an hour after getting the shot my muscles on my shoulders ans neck started to really hurt. Felt like I had slept on it wrong. Ibuprofen helped but when I woke up tonight the same pain was back. Oddly enough my arm doesn't hurt at all. I would almost not attribute it to the vaccine except for the fact I was up all night last night without any issues and the timing works out with it being after I received the shot.

Either way so far it's totally worth it.
Old 01-07-21, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Damn dude that sucks. You almost made it. Now I really feel like every day of delay getting vaccine in people's arms will make a huge difference in terms of everything; from number of cases, to severity, to hospital burden and even death. It's really too bad this vaccine is two doses spread so far apart. But of course it's a modern miracle we have such an effective vaccine < 1 year since we've been dealing with this thing.

Our numbers are skyrocketing and we're opening up places in the hospital that were devoted to training and haven't seen real patients in them in probably 40 years. Our department is limping towards immunity with cases and near misses popping up almost daily.
Old 01-08-21, 12:19 AM

Think I am going to recheck my antibody levels tomorrow.
Old 01-08-21, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

WA has rolled out it's proposed vaccine plan... phase 1 Jan-April, phases 2-4 May-Dec! This seems incredibly slow, everyone should be getting this thing by June.

Last edited by Artman; 01-08-21 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-08-21, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

I got my second vaccine shot today (Pfizer). Had a little itching sensation for about 5 mins afterwards, but very minor. Nothing else so far. They did mention that a minority of people have experienced mild nausea and headaches, but seem to not last longer than 24 hours. So far feeling fine, but i expect that i will wake up to a tenderness at injection site tomorrow as happened after the first injection. That lasted less than a day and wasnt much at all.
Old 01-08-21, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 201 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
I got my second vaccine shot today (Pfizer). Had a little itching sensation for about 5 mins afterwards, but very minor. Nothing else so far. They did mention that a minority of people have experienced mild nausea and headaches, but seem to not last longer than 24 hours. So far feeling fine, but i expect that i will wake up to a tenderness at injection site tomorrow as happened after the first injection. That lasted less than a day and wasnt much at all.
My friends that got the 2nd Pfizer shot mentioned feeling a bit achy, primarily in their joints, and chills after 12 hours, but nothing crazy.
Old 01-08-21, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 114 Likes on 83 Posts

Sorry, that sucks! Hope you're feeling better now.

How long does it take for the vaccine to "kick in" anyway?
Old 01-08-21, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Were you able to figure out how you got it?
Old 01-08-21, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post

At this point, we don't know.

I tested myself a week after my first dose and didn't have antibodies. I will check next week, which would be a week after my second dose. Studies have shown antibodies at that point during clinical trials.
Old 01-08-21, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
"I am a golden God!!"

1-2 weeks after the 2nd dose.
Old 01-10-21, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
This second shot is beating me up a bit. About an hour after getting the shot my muscles on my shoulders ans neck started to really hurt. Felt like I had slept on it wrong. Ibuprofen helped but when I woke up tonight the same pain was back. Oddly enough my arm doesn't hurt at all. I would almost not attribute it to the vaccine except for the fact I was up all night last night without any issues and the timing works out with it being after I received the shot.

Either way so far it's totally worth it.
I posted this a little too early

Just a couple hours after posting this I started feeling really bad. I could feel I had some kind of fever and actually had to go home early from work. Which is a really big deal since there's only two of us overnight. I remember one New Years Eve I got food poisoning in between leaving a party and going to work and threw up at least 8 times that night. Had to stay for most of the shift. Luckily my current partner is a lot more capable and a lot younger than my near retirement partner at the time. After going home and going to bed when I woke up later that day with a 103.5 fever. Felt like I was hit by a mack truck. It took awhile for me to get it under control at 102 and I had some kind of fever for over 24 hours. Had to call in to work that night and the rest of this weekend I'm actually working from home just to be sure it's not actually COVID. Called our COVID hotline and they said they are getting a lot of similar calls with high temps. No other symptoms so I'm pretty sure its a vaccine reaction. The theory is that if you have a strong reaction it's a good sign as it means your body is responding to the vaccine. If that's the case then I should be bullet proof to COVID now.

Of course it's totally worth it, even with this extreme of a reaction, but if you can schedule the second dose when you aren't doing anything important. From talking with a lot of other people it seems to kick in about 24 hours after getting the shot so it's not usually an immediate reaction. Which makes sense considering it probably takes your body a little bit of time to manufacture the spike protein.
Old 01-10-21, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Got my first shot of the moderna vaccine on Thursday. No side affects what so ever.
Old 01-10-21, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 114 Likes on 83 Posts

Yesterday, saw a HUGE line of cars going into and out of the local fire department for vaccines, at least a couple hundred. What struck me was how every car was really nice and new; Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Tesla. I suppose they're doctors, pharmacists, etc but still, it was weird.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.