Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Itís the beginning of the end of COVID-19!!! Vaccines are here and Iím getting mine in a few days.

Other Talk "Otterville"

Itís the beginning of the end of COVID-19!!! Vaccines are here and Iím getting mine in a few days.

Old 01-18-21, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 243 Likes on 143 Posts
Re: Itís the beginning of the end of COVID-19!!! Vaccines are here and Iím getting mine in a few days.

Fucking hell. I’m 6 days out from my 2nd Pfizer dose, and my wife and son both have developed fevers today. They’re both below 100įF so far, but Tylenol isn’t bringing it down for either of them. My wife called our doctor and he wants them to wait and see if they still have fevers tomorrow before he’ll test them. Meanwhile I’m supposed to go back to work Wednesday (I work a 7-on 7-off schedule) and have no idea if that’s actually going to happen.
It really pisses me off that the doctor won’t just test them today. Pushing it off til tomorrow means my wife loses a day of work tomorrow, and my son will lose a day of school. Plus he’ll have to miss his basketball game tonight. And I need to know asap so that work has time to either cancel patients or find someone to work my shifts.
Old 01-18-21, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: Itís the beginning of the end of COVID-19!!! Vaccines are here and Iím getting mine in a few days.

They're saying we'll be getting the first doses from Moderna this week
they need to hurry up, 5 supervisors are out with Covid right now
Old 01-18-21, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 320 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Fucking hell. Iím 6 days out from my 2nd Pfizer dose, and my wife and son both have developed fevers today. Theyíre both below 100įF so far, but Tylenol isnít bringing it down for either of them. My wife called our doctor and he wants them to wait and see if they still have fevers tomorrow before heíll test them. Meanwhile Iím supposed to go back to work Wednesday (I work a 7-on 7-off schedule) and have no idea if thatís actually going to happen.
It really pisses me off that the doctor wonít just test them today. Pushing it off til tomorrow means my wife loses a day of work tomorrow, and my son will lose a day of school. Plus heíll have to miss his basketball game tonight. And I need to know asap so that work has time to either cancel patients or find someone to work my shifts.
Can't you just go get tested somewhere else then? Of course YMMV with physicians and I've heard that experience to and at this point in the pandemic I don't get it. What's the purpose of waiting a day? If you have an unexplained fever that doesn't go away with Tylenol there's no way to tell if it's covid or now without a test. And testing should be plentiful everywhere at this point so it's not like we have to reserve testing.
Old 01-19-21, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 214 Likes on 150 Posts

The one big vaccine site that's opened in Orange County is Disneyland, and they're not doing vaccines tomorrow (Tuesday) due to high winds.
Old 01-19-21, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 461 Likes on 332 Posts

Got my appt for 2nd dose in Feb 4th. My buddy, who also was vaccinated on same day is me for 1st dose, couldn't get in until almost 2 weeks after that. Of course the website was a shit show to register today because they opened for another group of the olds.
Old 01-19-21, 01:25 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds great but hopefully, it would convert into an endemic soon. But I am not sure about the side effects of vaccines. As these vaccines have made in few time that's why it would take decades to know about their side effects.
Old 01-19-21, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Side Effects of Vaccines <<<<<<<<<<< Side Effects of COVID-19
The following 3 users liked this post by Decker:
Autotelik (01-19-21), danwiz (01-20-21), tanman (01-19-21)
Old 01-19-21, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Got my appt for 2nd dose in Feb 4th. My buddy, who also was vaccinated on same day is me for 1st dose, couldn't get in until almost 2 weeks after that. Of course the website was a shit show to register today because they opened for another group of the olds.
It's weird that they didn't schedule you for the second shot when they were scheduling you for the 1st one.
I got both appointments at the same time.
Old 01-19-21, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool Kitten View Post
It's weird that they didn't schedule you for the second shot when they were scheduling you for the 1st one.
I think it depends on whether the site knows for sure that they will get the second doses shipped on-time or not. At our hospital everyone who gets a first shot gets scheduled for a second one.
Old 01-19-21, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 243 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
Can't you just go get tested somewhere else then? Of course YMMV with physicians and I've heard that experience to and at this point in the pandemic I don't get it. What's the purpose of waiting a day? If you have an unexplained fever that doesn't go away with Tylenol there's no way to tell if it's covid or now without a test. And testing should be plentiful everywhere at this point so it's not like we have to reserve testing.
Thereís a sick line managed by my hospital that would have gotten them in, but my wife decided to listen to the doctor instead of me. Today she woke up with a fever but my sonís was gone. They both went to school and work as usual. She claims she woke me up this morning to ask my opinion of things and that I said they could go. I donít remember that happening, but Iím the type to carry on a conversation without completely waking up, so who knows? Either way I certainly wasnít in the right frame of mind to give an appropriate answer.
My wife is at work now, and justifying it by saying her fever has stayed low grade at 99.x. Iím incredibly frustrated, especially since my dad basically pulled the same shit last week. Does my 18 fucking years of healthcare experience mean nothing?

Side note: our GP has revealed himself to be a piece of shit and I plan to change doctors as soon as I can find a good one taking new patients. This jackass is a mask denier, and tells patients that the media has overblown everything. Oh, and heís a hardcore conservative christian. A few months ago I made a Facebook post asking for doctor recommendations, and explained why. I had to see him a week or two later for a medication refill and he confronted me about my post. No clue who told him about it. He had the nerve to say those other patients were taking his words out of context, and then tells me ďsince your wife is a lawyer, I hope you understand the meaning of slander and wonít post about me on Facebook again.Ē I told him ďI do understand, well enough to know that the word you're actually looking for is libel. Either way, that wouldnít hold up in any court.Ē I havenít seen him since, but unfortunately have to tomorrow so he can refill my Adderall.
Old 01-19-21, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Cool Kitten View Post
It is a shit show here. People have been told they get an email a week after 1st shot to schedule. For me that wouldn't be until Thursday. But slots for Feb just opened today. I wasn't going to risk not being able to get 2nd shot, so I just made the appointment.

My wife got her shot today for that volunteer program. She will most definitely have to wait for some sort of email because she is not a priority and likely can't even register for the site yet.
Old 01-19-21, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by MeridithHartt View Post
Sounds great but hopefully, it would convert into an endemic soon. But I am not sure about the side effects of vaccines. As these vaccines have made in few time that's why it would take decades to know about their side effects.
Please don't worry about phantoms, which include side effects from the COVID vaccine. I *would* worry about permanent effects of catching COVID, and what we don't know about *it*, 10 years, 20 years down the line and that it probably causes systemic damage beyond what is currently known. THAT scares me, about 1,000,000 times more than getting the vaccine!
The following 2 users liked this post by zyzzle:
Autotelik (01-19-21), bunkaroo (01-19-21)
Old 01-19-21, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I think it depends on whether the site knows for sure that they will get the second doses shipped on-time or not. At our hospital everyone who gets a first shot gets scheduled for a second one.
Right, I had it done at our local hospital as well. We're way behind on our numbers in PA though, some 1a people can't get the first shot until February when they're supposed to start vaccinating 1b cohort. I was hoping that all medical personnel would at least have the first shot by the end of January but we're a good month behind at this time.
Old 01-19-21, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Thereís a sick line managed by my hospital that would have gotten them in, but my wife decided to listen to the doctor instead of me. Today she woke up with a fever but my sonís was gone. They both went to school and work as usual. She claims she woke me up this morning to ask my opinion of things and that I said they could go. I donít remember that happening, but Iím the type to carry on a conversation without completely waking up, so who knows? Either way I certainly wasnít in the right frame of mind to give an appropriate answer.
My wife is at work now, and justifying it by saying her fever has stayed low grade at 99.x. Iím incredibly frustrated, especially since my dad basically pulled the same shit last week. Does my 18 fucking years of healthcare experience mean nothing?

Side note: our GP has revealed himself to be a piece of shit and I plan to change doctors as soon as I can find a good one taking new patients. This jackass is a mask denier, and tells patients that the media has overblown everything. Oh, and heís a hardcore conservative christian. A few months ago I made a Facebook post asking for doctor recommendations, and explained why. I had to see him a week or two later for a medication refill and he confronted me about my post. No clue who told him about it. He had the nerve to say those other patients were taking his words out of context, and then tells me ďsince your wife is a lawyer, I hope you understand the meaning of slander and wonít post about me on Facebook again.Ē I told him ďI do understand, well enough to know that the word you're actually looking for is libel. Either way, that wouldnít hold up in any court.Ē I havenít seen him since, but unfortunately have to tomorrow so he can refill my Adderall.
Whoa, that story took a turn for the dramatic. Sorry about your troubles with your doc. Unfortunately this pandemic combined with the political climate has revealed a lot of people's stripes. The few crazies in the medical field, especially a few physicians I know, have been especially frustrating finding out that despite their medical training they still believe in a a lot of conspiracy theories and fallacies regarding corona.
Old 01-19-21, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That really sucks. They really need to prioritize people who have already received the first shot. At my hospital I had the opposite problem and couldn't even schedule it a day off so I had to drive to our other hospital to get it because of timing issues (they never take night shift into consideration).
Old 01-19-21, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk God

That really sucks. They really need to prioritize people who have already received the first shot. At my hospital I had the opposite problem and couldn't even schedule it a day off so I had to drive to our other hospital to get it because of timing issues (they never take night shift into consideration).
The good news is after he made that appointment, he was able to go back and reschedule way closer. Not 21 days after but within 28.
Old 01-20-21, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

It is a shit show here. People have been told they get an email a week after 1st shot to schedule. For me that wouldn't be until Thursday. But slots for Feb just opened today. I wasn't going to risk not being able to get 2nd shot, so I just made the appointment.

My wife got her shot today for that volunteer program. She will most definitely have to wait for some sort of email because she is not a priority and likely can't even register for the site yet.
I got the reminder email after my first shot.

My wife went to the fair grounds to get her first injection, and they scheduled her second one at that time. That operation seemed to be staffed/run by Banner Health with medical professionals administering the injection. I received my first injection at a Community College in Chandler. I donít know who organized it, but it seemed to be staffed primarily by the fire dept and EMTs. They gave me my shot, my card, and sent me on my way.

This was all before the stadium opened up.

Second dose is scheduled for the 28th and I am pumped.
Old 01-20-21, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well that was a close one! Had to rescue about 10,000 doses of vaccine tonight. There was something wrong with the freezer and it started warming up pretty rapidly. I had to move quickly to transfer them to a back up freezer since they can only stay out of temp for 5 mins. The Tmax got up to -59.5 the limit is -60.

Last edited by tanman; 01-20-21 at 05:08 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by tanman:
Deftones (01-20-21), milo bloom (01-20-21), story (01-20-21)
Old 01-20-21, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

When I received my first dose here they gave me an appointment (both date and time) for my 2nd dose. I got the Moderna one, so the next appointment is precisely 4 weeks after the first one. I'm hoping that they will have the vaccine to be able to do it.
Old 01-20-21, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 522 Likes on 399 Posts

Well that was a close one! Had to rescue about 10,000 doses of vaccine tonight. There was something wrong with the freezer and it started warming up pretty rapidly. I had to move quickly to transfer them to a back up freezer since they can only stay out of temp for 5 mins. The Tmax got up to -59.5 the limit is -60.
Wasn't somebody else trying to sabotage them, was it?
Old 01-20-21, 09:02 PM

Received 538 Likes on 328 Posts

We got a wonderful surprise at work today: our on-site child care / early learning center was randomly selected by the state for all staff to sign up for vaccine appointments this week, whether they work directly with children or not. A few couldn't because they either had COVID-19 too recently or just got a different vaccine too recently but everyone is so grateful for the opportunity. First appointments are this week and they had sign-ups ready for the follow-up second dose already tongo in around a month.

My Pfizer vaccine appointment is Friday afternoon. I'm a big guy and I've been trying so hard to both work on that and not go anywhere and play it safe. Of course I will continue working on all of that but wow, this is an amazing blessing. I honestly never thought I'd receive one so soon. I can't express my gratitude enough.
The following 5 users liked this post by story:
bunkaroo (01-20-21), danwiz (01-20-21), Deftones (01-21-21), fujishig (01-22-21), tanman (01-20-21)
Old 01-20-21, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My father managed to miraculously get an appointment today in LA county. However, heís been in line in his car at Dodger Stadium since 4pm.....thatís four hours ago. The line is horrendous!! What a massive failure in organization.
Old 01-20-21, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Wasn't somebody else trying to sabotage them, was it?

There was something wrong with the freezer. Something about it short cycling? The tech got there within minutes and was working on it. He said he was driving like 90 to get there.

One of the managers in charge of this whole thing said it happened one time before. Creepy thing is he said that time somehow it got switched off. And this switch is a rocker switch. In the back of the unit. And the unit is a really huge heavy duty freezer.

Old 01-20-21, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Like others here, I'd just like to add that I feel most fortunate to have already received my first dose and have an appointment for the second. I just totally clicked the correct buttons on the web pages at the correct time and managed to land an appointment. I did not really expect to be able to get an appointment before April or May, but then it was announced on the TV news that they were going to do a mass vaccination and the dates and times and said when the web page to make appointments would open. They had their limit of 625 x 2 days = 1,250 appointments taken within an hour. There was a phone number to call if one was having problems, but I bet that didn't help a bit. I was waiting for the web page to open. I kept clicking the link they had for it, but nothing would happen. Then I clicked again and I was taken to the sign-up page, and it went quickly from there. They had slots for 8 appointments for every 10-minute period from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM. It was very well run. Thank you.
Old 01-21-21, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 214 Likes on 150 Posts

The vaccine roll out is such a clusterfuck. At least here in CA and/or OC.
No one knows anything!
There are some shitty websites and apps to set appointments through, but they are absolutely useless.
Just the info on what these sites are where you register for vaccines is hard to come by and not posted or shared by any government agency or health department. You kinda have to know where to go. And even if you do, fuck you, it's all booked up or the 1 or 2 vaccine sites happen to be close. Such a pathetic shitshow.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.