Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What are the "Non-safe" things right now that you will do once the pandemic is near it's end?

Other Talk "Otterville"

What are the "Non-safe" things right now that you will do once the pandemic is near it's end?

Old 12-11-20, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 780 Likes on 580 Posts

1st, Hug my niece and sister with no mask

2nd, eat at a restaurant and see a movie in the theatre (both are currently closed in So. Cal)

Next, book a nice and long international trip to Asia likely Japan and probably Thailand. Going to relax on a beach, drink at a bar with lots of women and finally enjoy life again.

and throw my masks in the closet and walk outside without one.

Maybe go to Disneyland pending reopening and pending my Mom’s return to employment. She works there and is currently furloughed. She can get me in for free.

and likely hit Las Vegas.

What about the rest of you?

Last edited by DJariya; 12-11-20 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-11-20, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 227 Likes on 168 Posts
Re: What are the "Non-safe" things right now that you will do once the pandemic is near it's end?

Guess it depends on location. Most restaurants and theaters are open here. Just have to adhere to social distance practices.

1. Walk in public without a mask.

2.Hug someone
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (12-11-20)
Old 12-11-20, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Re: What are the "Non-safe" things right now that you will do once the pandemic is near it's end?

Eat a meal with my parents.

Not wearing a 😷

Disneyland

movie theater

Costco samples ( i have seen some sample stations but will pass for now)
DJariya (12-11-20)
Old 12-11-20, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

Go back to cruising
Having a team lunch once a quarter with my folks from work (We'll still be remote.. have been for 5 years)
Disneyland
Go back to cruising
Vegas - stay with some friends who live there
Dine in restaurants
Go back to cruising
DJariya (12-11-20)
Old 12-11-20, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,346 Likes on 834 Posts

Things I will do :
Go to hockey games
Finally check out my seats at the new Raiders stadium
Foreign travel
Go back to Hawaii and see my dad again
No Mask! -- (actually I am more excited about getting my first COVID shot so I can go back to just wearing a cloth mask rather than the hot and uncomfortable plastic N95 mask I currently wear all day at work)

Things I will continue to not do :
Shake hands
Examine patients without gloves on
Hug non-family members
Eat at salad bars/ get salsa from a salsa bar
Pot Lucks.
DJariya (12-11-20)
Old 12-11-20, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 277 Likes on 206 Posts

Meet friends and hug them. There hasn't been a club meeting since February. The zoom meetings aren't the same.
Use gas station bathrooms. We can't take a trip more than a couple of hours. We just today decided not to visit the Bosque Del Apache bird sanctuary this year.
Have a movie night at our house. I was going to show everyone The Maltese Falcon in March. Nope.
Gather the family for a memorial for my mother. Maybe arrange a Catholic mass for her.
Stay in motels and eat in restaurants. We want to drive to Indianapolis and visit my sister. We want to take our time and see the tourist things.
DJariya (12-11-20)
Old 12-11-20, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,346 Likes on 834 Posts

Can't believe I forgot :
Go to a concert
See a Broadway show
Run a Half marathon
Old 12-11-20, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 268 Likes on 193 Posts

When I feel that it's safe to do so, I want to go to movies and concerts for sure. And I'm hoping we can visit my wife's family in Japan during the holidays next year, we were originally planning to do so this year.

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Things I will continue to not do :
Shake hands
Hug non-family members
Eat at salad bars/ get salsa from a salsa bar
Pot Lucks.
If shaking hands never comes back as a custom, I'll be perfectly fine with it. I've never liked doing that anyway, I make sure to keep my hands clean, why I should I ruin that by touching some stranger's hand who has god knows what kind of personal hygiene habits or lack thereof. Just noticing all the people who don't even wash their hands after going to the bathroom makes me not want to touch others' hands, yuck. It would be nice to hug my parents again, but I'm definitely going to be more choosy as far as hugging other folks go. I've never liked salad bars, buffets, etc., fucking petri dishes, no thanks.

Old 12-11-20, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 262 Likes on 187 Posts

Two chicks at once!

Seriously, this is what I posted on Facebook a couple weeks ago:

"I'm so desperate for human contact that I called my urologist and booked a prostate exam."
tanman (12-12-20)
Old 12-11-20, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Go back to cruising
Go back to cruising
Go back to cruising
The Al Pacino type?

Iím looking forward to taking a vacation again. Maybe a weekend trip to Vegas but Iíd also love to go some place tropical and maybe a trip to Ireland.

Going back to restaurants.

Going to the movies.
Old 12-11-20, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 76 Posts

Other than wearing a mask to go into a store, I haven't been doing anything different than a year ago. I would love to go on my trip to Canada that I paid for two years ago, if I haven't lost my money yet.
Old 12-11-20, 07:59 PM
Premium Member

Received 145 Likes on 106 Posts

Concerts
Sporting Events
Touristy Travel
Old 12-11-20, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

drink/eat after someone

or maybe not
Old 12-11-20, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

I want to go inside a grocery store and restaurant (I haven't been inside a grocery store or restaurant since early April). If I can't get something curbside, I've been going without it.
Go to a football game.
Go to a theme park.
Watch a movie in a movie theater.
Old 12-11-20, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 147 Posts

Just about *everything*! Absolutely foremost, Go out without a DAMN mask!

I'm even itching to do things which I normally *never* did back in the halcyon days of "old normal" like go to concerts, run marathons, go to Vegas, etc. Just for the human contact, dammit! Travel to a few new and exciting places (W. Australia, northern Finland / Norway to see the Northern lights en masse).

Things which I still will not do:
Go to any sporting venue (games, park, etc)
go to any theme park (too expensive and packed, packed, body-to-body all day is NOT fun, and very germy!)
shake hands
fight traffic / travel during the busy times
go to movie theatres (95%+ of new releases are garbage, and I can wait 3 months for the good stuff to come out so I can enjoy it even more in the sanciity of my own space and private home theatre. The other GREAT films (1940s-1980s) I can enjoy any time, and have been during COVID. A saving grace of being pretty much locked up at home for the past 9 months)
Old 12-12-20, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Eyes wide shut style orgy
Why So Blu? (12-18-20)
Old 12-12-20, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 161 Likes on 135 Posts

So many hugs for so many people. Everything else is secondary.
Old 12-12-20, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts

Nothing really big, grab a microbrew and watch a game at some of my fav places. (Hopefully still around)

I’d really love to go to an outdoor concert next summer, no matter who it is. Catch a ballgame as well and hear the familiar “get your cold beer here!”

Last edited by Artman; 12-12-20 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-12-20, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Go on a real vacation.
Old 12-12-20, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 150 Likes on 126 Posts

I sing in two choirs and weíve been doing virtual rehearsals and performances.

I have season tickets to multiple theatres.

Movies in theaters

I havenít taken a day off since March because I usually save my days for trips, and just havenít gotten around to taking a day here and there.

So all of those things.
Old 12-12-20, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 277 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
Eyes wide shut style orgy
Somehow, the idea of going to an orgy between fat old rich men and expensive call girls never appealed to me. Mark Epstein, Donald Trump, and Prince Andrew are not part of my fantasy life.
Old 12-12-20, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Concerts.
Breweries.
Eating out.
Old 12-12-20, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 111 Likes on 86 Posts

I have had no problem going to movie theaters since they are operating at a reduced capacity and I've only eaten out once since March. I think any and all things that are meant to be sociable are what's so hard to not have right now (Community Events, Concerts, meeting with friends and family at ease). I'd like to see my Grandma and Grandpa at their apartment right now but their senior living apartment complex is still locked down.
Old 12-12-20, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts

In 1999, my college roommates, some friends and I had a pitch-in dinner the Saturday before Thanksgiving. We kept that going for 20 years, with some people traveling from out of state, people joining the group and dropping out, new spouses and kids getting included and so on. One year we had over 70 people and had to rent a facility, but in recent years, weíve been around 30 people and my family has hosted. It really hit some people hard that we werenít able to do it this year and weíre planning a belated version whenever itís safe (as long as thatís before Thanksgiving 2021.)

Iíve also hosted a 1.5-day horror film festival in my home theater every October since 2012. That usually draws around 15 people total, with some just joining for one or two screenings and a handful coming for the whole shebang. Iím really hoping to make up this yearís in the spring/summer.

Iím not a huge traditionalist, but there are friends and extended family who I only see for those two events and axing them both was more painful than losing Thanksgiving, as we were able to see close family masked and outdoors over the spring and summer.
Old 12-12-20, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
In 1999, my college roommates, some friends and I had a pitch-in dinner the Saturday before Thanksgiving. We kept that going for 20 years, with some people traveling from out of state, people joining the group and dropping out, new spouses and kids getting included and so on. One year we had over 70 people and had to rent a facility, but in recent years, weíve been around 30 people and my family has hosted. It really hit some people hard that we werenít able to do it this year and weíre planning a belated version whenever itís safe (as long as thatís before Thanksgiving 2021.)

Iíve also hosted a 1.5-day horror film festival in my home theater every October since 2012. That usually draws around 15 people total, with some just joining for one or two screenings and a handful coming for the whole shebang. Iím really hoping to make up this yearís in the spring/summer.

Iím not a huge traditionalist, but there are friends and extended family who I only see for those two events and axing them both was more painful than losing Thanksgiving, as we were able to see close family masked and outdoors over the spring and summer.
Since the early aughts I have been hosting a potluck Thanksgiving dinner (I provide the turkey and basics like drinks and rolls, as well as the service) and guests bring the sides and desserts. It's morphed from a group of friends and some family in my home, to those people plus neighbors in my housing cooperative who are otherwise alone, with the locale switched to my subdivision club room. This year it really hurt to not be able to hold this, especially since my Dad is living with me now and this could have been his last Thanksgiving. But it is what it is.

As for me ... I was thinking what I would like to do best is give Bando a big tongue kiss. Then I remembered that even AFTER the pandemic, his wife will probably still be a really good shot. so I will stick with going out to eat now and again and maybe to a movie once in awhile. I usually just watch movies at home.

Last edited by Vibiana; 12-12-20 at 06:20 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.