DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Life Sorting & Downsizing : The Bizarro Landlord Cleanliness Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/651777-life-sorting-downsizing-bizarro-landlord-cleanliness-thread.html)

Toddarino 11-18-20 08:07 AM

Life Sorting & Downsizing : The Bizarro Landlord Cleanliness Thread

This was spun off from the last page or two of Alanís thread.
How have you been managing your collections, trinkets and holdovers from your younger days?

Iíve been spending my Saturdays at my moms house, helping her out. More on that later.

Brian Shannon 11-18-20 09:50 AM

Re: Life Sorting & Downsizing : The Bizarro Landlord Cleanliness Thread

Since 2012 when my wife and I decided to lose weight, we also began the great house purge.

I have sold over $12,000 worth of stuff on EBAY, taken numerous car loads of things to Goodwill and Salvation Army. Given away, thrown away even more things.

It is liberating.

Pulled from EBAY

Your totals to date

Transactions 289 Sales $12,842.58

Toddarino 11-18-20 10:36 AM

My moms house was pretty bad for a long time. I left a ton of stuff there as well as my brother. That basement has flooded many times, so over the years we lost a lot of stuff. Finally I said enough is enough and started cleaning it out. Room by room we went through everything. She bought a ton of plastic bins to put stuff in and we tosses a ton of stuff. We both are really attached to “things”. I can’t believe how many boxes of school papers and art she saved over the years.
It took a few months but at least the house is 75% sorted. I brought a lot of stuff home unfortunately. At least I have the room. I have a two story house and live alone. I need to reorganize my second floor, but no one goes up there anyway.
Over the summer I built a bar in my basement. I’m trying to keep it looking like a relic from the 70’s 80’s. Luckily I have a bunch of decor that fits that. I finally found a use for my old tube tv and vcr. I recently acquired a laserdisc player and a bunch of discs. I was gonna hook it up to a projector, but I think I’ll end up donating it and framing a few of the movies.
I also just started cataloguing my record collection on discogs. It’s a painstaking process. I’d guess I have around 1,500. It’s gonna take a long time.

Brian T 11-18-20 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Toddarino (Post 13844791)
This was spun off from the last page or two of Alan’s thread.

Thanks for this. It already feels so much . . . tidier in here. And no cat shit. :lol:

GoldenJCJ 11-18-20 01:41 PM

Iím not a particularly sentimental person anyway so I donít know how much stuff I would actually keep from my younger days but I think one big factor in my not holding onto a bunch of childhood trinkets, etc. is that when my dad died my mom moved out of my childhood home and has downsized several times since.

At the same time my mom moved into smaller places, I was a young man going from apartment to apartment in my early 20s. Essentially, she didnít have room for a bunch of old stuff and I didnít have room for it either. I actually ended up tossing most of my belongings from childhood.

I really only regret not keeping my old racing trophies and holding onto more of my Dadís personal stuff. Otherwise, I really donít regret dragging a bunch of crap from place to place over the years.

I have a house now and have room for stuff if I still had it but most of my childhood stuff has been gone for a long time now.

I think if my mom still lived in my childhood home, with years and years of stuff packed away, Iíd probably have kept more.

John Galt 11-18-20 02:13 PM

Reading Alan's thread a couple years back really made me think about my collecting/ hoarding habits. While I'm generally an organized person and don't think I'm anywhere near bad enough for anyone to consider it a problem, I did start to question things I want/need to have around (especially with digital media). I ended up doing a couple yard sales, lots of trips to goodwill, and a lot of ebay sales. I'd had a lot of stuff sitting around that had been handed down to me and I thought I'd be sentimental about getting rid of, but it really wasn't that hard. I wasn't using it and would much rather someone else get use out of it. The one thing I did do was get a storage unit to keep the stuff that I decided to keep but didn't want around the house. Even though I have room for most of it, it really is just clutter and it's worth $1,000/year to me to not have it sitting around the house. I have old family photo albums, boxes of baseball cards, all my DVD/Blu Rays now that they've been digitized, tools, computer/stereo equipment that isn't obsolete, and a few small pieces of furniture, etc. Easy to get to when I need it, but completely out of the way. The only media I still have around are my vinyl records (around 200-300) and some books.

zyzzle 11-18-20 06:06 PM

I downsized many years ago-- and it was very liberating. Thankfully, I actually made a profit on much of what I did sell, and not pennies on the dollar as so many thousands of others have done. As in, I purposely kept my indiscriminate buying down in the first place to pretty special and / or rare items in the first place. It certainly was liberating to get rid of all those HD-DVDs BEFORE they became worthless, same with the DVDs and many LDs. The key was, I only spent money on the stuff that was going to be 'collectible' in the first place. The only exception to this was going pretty wild at Ken Crane's cutout bin. But, thankfully I did get value out of those $5 to $10 LDs at the time, so having to take the "loss" years later by throwing them out / donating them wasn't so painful.

By this point, I've bought so few "throaway" items in the last decade or so, that I'm not worried about it. I never, ever buy anything on impulse anymore. There must really be a *need*, not just a want. I've matured, and become much better at delaying gratification. I was always pretty good at that, but this very forum in the early years chipped away at that abstemiousness... Fortunately, the epicurean delights of buying media at at and end for me.

Paradoxically, I eschew -- actually HATE streaming because of its terrible quality, DRM, questionable permanence, and the fact that when you stream, YOU are not in control, the rapacious movie studios are. I've hesitated on throwing out some physical media BECAUSE of this fact. As in, I own the disc, I own the movie, and nobody can take that away from me, unless I decide to throw it out, purge, and / or donate it.

kd5 11-18-20 08:57 PM

I'm a neat freak. My album collection (500 or so) is arranged neatly in a shelving unit in our spare bedrrom, arranged alphabetically. My DVDs/BDs (1400 or so) are in 4 nice-looking wooden bookcases arranged alphabetically as well. Any keepsakes from our earlier lives are in boxes, labelled and stacked neatly in the basement. Anything we deem useless is trashed or donated. Our house looks lived in, it's cozy, but not messy.

I've been in houses where there was a barely navigable path through the clutter from one room to the next. I could never live like that.

zyzzle 11-18-20 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by kd5 (Post 13845276)
I'm a neat freak. My album collection (500 or so) is arranged neatly in a shelving unit in our spare bedrrom, arranged alphabetically. My DVDs/BDs (1400 or so) are in 4 nice-looking wooden bookcases arranged alphabetically as well. Any keepsakes from our earlier lives are in boxes, labelled and stacked neatly in the basement. Anything we deem useless is trashed or donated. Our house looks lived in, it's cozy, but not messy.

I've been in houses where there was a barely navigable path through the clutter from one room to the next. I could never live like that.

Even better... I ditched the space-hungry cases for my DVDs and Blurays, and now have my media very neatly and compactly contained in durable, well-made binders. Of course these binders also allow me to keep the inserts and cover art intact as well. They take up about 1/10 the space, and are VERY nice to be able to locate on a whim any given film, since I keep everything alphabetical.

Just ditching the multiple bookshelves / shelving units which stored pieces of useless plastic (the cases) was liberating in and of itself. I freed up an entire room that way!

The logical next step would be to go completely to a home NAS, by copying all my media onto multiple hard drives -- in untouched form, of course, and throw away / donate all the physical media, but note what I've said above about ME being in control when I actually own the physical media.

Kevin Phillips 11-19-20 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by zyzzle (Post 13845336)
Even better... I ditched the space-hungry cases for my DVDs and Blurays, and now have my media very neatly and compactly contained in durable, well-made binders. Of course these binders also allow me to keep the inserts and cover art intact as well. They take up about 1/10 the space, and are VERY nice to be able to locate on a whim any given film, since I keep everything alphabetical.

I need to do something like that. What binders do you use?

Toddarino 11-19-20 07:20 AM

I couldn’t bring myself to do the binders, but I totally get why people do it. The sheer amount of space a collection can take up can be problematic. I’m sure my ex wife would have loved the binder idea. Well she probably would have preferred me to stop buying shit actually.
I built floor to ceiling shelves for mine. That pretty much takes up an entire room. I use that as the “office”. The cat really took it over.

Brian Shannon 11-19-20 07:30 AM

I just want to add, I see people giving organizing tips versus actually downsizing and decluttering.

Our mindset has been that if something is stored away, even neatly (binders, totes, closets) and not seen or used then why even keep it?

I felt bad getting rid of tapes, vinyl, cd's dvd's and in the end I have never needed them since. I have gotten rid of books, video games, cables, pc peripherals and all of their associated boxes, manuals and discs.

If I am not using it and I cannot see it, I don't need it. Of course everyone is different.

flansered 11-19-20 08:29 AM

When I had to downsize before a move a few years ago, I put my most of discs into binders, and removed all the digital code inserts. After the move I began to redeem all of the digital movie codes over a 3 week period. Since then I have begun to embrace the idea of a digital library as a supplement to a physical library. If it's a movie I love I will make sure I have a physical copy, but I'll take advantage of Fanflix deals and Vudu's Disc to Digital service for some other things rather than blind buying. Like the other day I was thinking about The Neverending Story. I haven't seen it since the 80s. Old me would of dropped $15 bucks for the blu-ray and it probably would of sat around collecting dust for a few months before I watched it. But currently I had the option of getting through a Fanflix sale or even though the D2D for $2. It's there if I want it, and nothing is cluttering up my house.

John Galt 11-19-20 08:34 AM

^^For the most part, I agree. For me the things I keep in storage are things like tools that I do use regularly but don't want to keep around the house. It's a five minute trip to go grab what I need, and these things fetch next to nothing on the market but cost a lot to buy when you need them. I also keep my baseball cards and sports memorabilia which are an alternate investment for me. They've been beating the markets for the past 10 years and I'm hoping that keeps going. They just sit in boxes and I rarely go through them, but know that they're there. Regarding physical media, for copyright reasons you're supposed to own the original if you've digitized the media, so I just have them all in boxes in there. I'm paying for the space so I might as well use it for these types of things.

In regards to actually storing media in the house; what I did before I digitized my collection was build a faux wall in my theater. Behind it was a storage closet with all my equipment and I built shelves in there for the discs. My (now ex) wife hated the idea at first, but like almost all of my ideas she hated, once she saw the finished product she loved it. No wires, no equipment, no library of movies was visible to anyone visiting the house. All the speakers and TV were cleanly mounted with all the mess hidden.