Reload this Page >

Fall 2020 semi-annual thread for whining about the time change

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 10-31-20, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

For everyone that lives in a location that has Daylight Saving Time and Standard Time, tonight's the night to set your clocks back!

My only complaint is that I think we change the clocks in the wrong direction. I hate it when its dark at 5pm in the afternoon. I'd rather it was dark until 9 or 10 in the morning, so we could still have light at 7pm!

Old 10-31-20, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 237 Likes on 156 Posts
Re: Fall 2020 semi-annual thread for whining about the time change

We voted against this. Why are we still doing it?
(I don't really care but couldn't pass up a fine whine)
Old 10-31-20, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
We voted against this. Why are we still doing it?
(I don't really care but couldn't pass up a fine whine)
I don't think that was what the actual vote was about. I think it was to give the legislature the ability to consider coming up with a plan to debate the idea of possibly reviewing pros and cons about maybe thinking of doing something about it.
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (11-01-20)
Old 10-31-20, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

When I agree with Marco Rubio and Rick Scott, you know it has to be something that just about everyone agrees with. STAY ON DST! Who still wants this?
Old 10-31-20, 10:33 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 352 Likes on 254 Posts

Every country in the world should just adopt UTC across the board and adjust accordingly. The first year world be a disaster and chaotic, but once everyone was on the same page, worldwide unity would ensue until humanity as we know it ceases to exist.
I am not, I assure you, a crackpot.
AGuyNamedMike (11-02-20)
Old 11-01-20, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
When I agree with Marco Rubio and Rick Scott, you know it has to be something that just about everyone agrees with. STAY ON DST! Who still wants this?
That's what I don't get. I thought the Florida legislature voted to stay on DST? Which I didn't agree with if we were the only state to do so. It would suck to be at a different time then the rest of the eastern seaboard. I'd rather the entire country just abolish DST.

This sucks extra hard for me since I always work overnight on the time change. And I'm salary so I don't get an extra hour of pay either. But worse than that is how chipper and happy morning shift is when they come in. Ugh...disgusting. But luckily I do work Spring forward as well so I work an hour less and it's always fun seeing everyone coming in all grumpy and I get to rub it in I get to work an hour less.
Old 11-01-20, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 145 Posts

I love standard time... This change is in the *right* direction! It get dark earlier, cools off "sooner". I just wish it lasted longer than the castrated four-month period it is now down to. I have fond memories of standard time going from late Oct to the end of April, then it was shorn of two months. I feel completely cheated and abused because of that change that was snuck in behind our backs.
BobO'Link (11-02-20)
Old 11-01-20, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 223 Likes on 165 Posts

I woke up at 3am and watched the time change on my phone and tv.
Old 11-01-20, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 111 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks for reminding me as I just changed the clock on my tv to go along with my phone.
Old 11-01-20, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 215 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
I love standard time... This change is in the *right* direction! It get dark earlier, cools off "sooner". I just wish it lasted longer than the castrated four-month period it is now down to. I have fond memories of standard time going from late Oct to the end of April, then it was shorn of two months. I feel completely cheated and abused because of that change that was snuck in behind our backs.
I agree. Would much rather stay on standard time year round.
Old 11-02-20, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
I woke up at 3am and watched the time change on my phone and tv.

?? Time changes at 0200. When it goes back to 0100. Or is it somehow different for each time zone?
Old 11-02-20, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 223 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
?? Time changes at 0200. When it goes back to 0100. Or is it somehow different for each time zone?
Hey, at 3am I'm still halfway in dreamland. I guess I saw those devices auto-update when they "woke up."
Old 11-02-20, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it changed at midnight, which of course occurs an hour apart in each time zone. I could be wrong, and probably am, because I was up half of last nght trying to adjust to the time change.
Old 11-02-20, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

I was up and my phone went from 1:59 to 1:00.
Old 11-02-20, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

The lights in the laundry room of my building go on automatically at 6:30 AM every morning, so that's when I go down to do my laundry. I would go earlier, since I usually wake up much earlier, but the elevator doesn't go down to the basement until then either. This morning, since the clocks were turned back and building management is slow to change the time for the laundry room lights, I figured I'd have to wait till 7:30AM to go down. But then, I was lying in bed at 5:30AM and thought, "But it's really 6:30AM," when I realized my mistake and got up and gathered up the bedding and dirty laundry and went downstairs. The elevator went down to the basement and the laundry room lights were on, so I did my laundry an hour "earlier."
Old 11-02-20, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
For everyone that lives in a location that has Daylight Saving Time and Standard Time, tonight's the night to set your clocks back!

My only complaint is that I think we change the clocks in the wrong direction. I hate it when its dark at 5pm in the afternoon. I'd rather it was dark until 9 or 10 in the morning, so we could still have light at 7pm!
I'm guessing you weren't around during the energy crisis of the 1970s when Congress ordered states to go on year-round Daylight Saving Time between January 1974 and April 1975. That move prompted parents and school districts to worry about children walking to school or standing at bus stops in the dark (which they do anyway, whether it's DST or not). It was a disaster as it didn't get light until 9am in the winter. People royally complained - and it *didn't* save anything (energy or "daylight").Farmers have never pushed for Daylight Saving Time because they don't use the clock but the sun for planning activities in the fields. "Truck farmers" have to get up earlier to pick crops and beat those "early shoppers" to the store/stand. And cows don't wear watches and prefer regularly scheduled milkings, so changing clocks just means logistical problems for farmers, ranchers, and their schedules.

Some businesses think Daylight Saving Time is great - golf courses and grill and charcoal industries, to name a few, because the additional daylight time means more business/money. The candy industry pushed hard for the more recent extension so Halloween would fall inside the longer daylight hours, meaning more time to trick-or-tread and more candy would be sold.

However, work-related accidents and car crashes go up in the week after DST takes effect due to it interrupting the body's circadian rhythm and people are less alert due to the interruption (i.e lack of sleep syndrome).

Time needs to be standardized to "sun time" - period. That's what your body uses for it's internal rhythm, *not* so called DST.
Old 11-02-20, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm in Indiana, which is now, and has always been, kinda retarded when it comes to time. There are many posts on the subject from Yours Truly scattered about Otter over the past decade, I'll not drag down this thread's momentum by dredging up the past.

However.

The earth is nominally divided into 24 one-hour wide time zones. Ignoring local weirdness and countries that institute half-hour (or worse, 10-minute)-wide zones, the general idea is that as you move every 15 degrees around the globe, you move into a different time zone. Greenwich is the starting point, and that zone should be centered on London and extend +/- 7.5 degrees east and west. The GMT-1 zone starts at 7.5 degrees West and extends for 15 degrees to 22.5 degrees West. Each subsequent zone subtracts one hour and adds 15 degrees as you move to the West. This is all NOMINAL - which goes to say that local government have the latitude (heh) to move the dividing line around to follow borders, to prevent metropolitan areas from being arbitrarily divided in two, and so forth. But in general, you should be in the time zone that corresponds with where you are on the globe.

The Eastern Time Zone (GMT-5) should be centered on 75 degrees West, and should extend +/- 7.5 degrees, meaning it should nominally encompass 67.5W to 82.5W. Indiana's easternmost edge is at 84 47′ W. 120 miles WEST of the westernmost edge of the geographic Eastern Time Zone.

We are in the wrong Time Zone.

I can deal with DST. I can't deal with solar noon happening at 1:30pm, and with sunrise and sunset being similarly effed up. I want to go to the drive-in. I can't, because it's not dark enough for the first feature until nearly 10pm, and on double-feature nights, it's midnight before movie #2 can be shown. Indiana should be Central.
Old 11-02-20, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Every country in the world should just adopt UTC across the board and adjust accordingly. The first year world be a disaster and chaotic, but once everyone was on the same page, worldwide unity would ensue until humanity as we know it ceases to exist.
I am not, I assure you, a crackpot.
This. I've been promoting this for many years.
Old 11-02-20, 12:57 PM

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

Didn't really notice it this time, probably because I've been in a groundhog day loop since mid-March.
Old 11-02-20, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
I'm guessing you weren't around during the energy crisis of the 1970s when Congress ordered states to go on year-round Daylight Saving Time between January 1974 and April 1975.
You're not too far off. I was born in '69, so I was around during the energy crisis, but was too young to notice/remember.
Old 11-02-20, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 152 Posts

Since I'll be work from home until after we go back to DST, the change doesn't do much of anything to me this year. No leaving the office in pitch black to scrape ice off my car before I can drive home.
Old 11-02-20, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

I think they just need to stick to one time and not fall back or spring forward anymore. Springing forward causes an increase risk of heart attacks and strokes. https://www.businessinsider.com/dayl...-deadly-2018-3
Old 11-02-20, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
I think they just need to stick to one time and not fall back or spring forward anymore. Springing forward causes an increase risk of heart attacks and strokes. https://www.businessinsider.com/dayl...-deadly-2018-3
I love falling back. Springing forward sucks, though. I vote for standard time all year but I know I'm in the minority on that score. I actually LIKE the dark mornings and evenings of winter.
BobO'Link (11-02-20)
Old 11-02-20, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 343 Likes on 217 Posts

I vote from now on that we just keep "Falling Back" and never "Spring Forward".
The following 2 users liked this post by Giantrobo:
BobO'Link (11-02-20), tanman (11-11-20)
Old 11-02-20, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Kevin Phillips (11-02-20)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.