Reload this Page >

The Upsides of 2020 - list what ya got

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 10-28-20, 08:37 PM
Premium Member

Received 446 Likes on 352 Posts

At this point, anything that you deem an upside that’s happened this year to you, or something you’ve seen or read about.

For me, I think the Black Lives Matter movement will result in some hopefully good things - provided Biden wins.

Sarah Cooper on Twitter has been a fun one, seeing her Trump videos.

Formula 1 actually is having a season.

Some others I think. So what about you all?

EDIT: Who put this in the streaming forum?!? Mods, please move to the Otter forum.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (10-28-20)
Old 10-28-20, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 191 Likes on 137 Posts
Re: The Upsides of 2020 - list what ya got

My wife and I kept our health and our jobs. With no travel we've had money and time to upgrade the house a bit. I found a new hobby and really dig it.
danwiz (10-29-20)
Old 10-28-20, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,167 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Ask me again on November 4th. Or maybe later...
Old 10-28-20, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

Baseball completed a season, but not a full season. I thought the shorter season was great, as I ended up watching a higher percentage of games this year. Easier to watch all 60 regular season games, than it is to watch all 162 games.

This year was my first time teleworking, and I love it!

Nothing else exciting going on haha Iíve turned down going to 3 house parties. Just doing my part.
Old 10-28-20, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 175 Likes on 98 Posts

Less carbon emissions this year, although maybe that's been offset my all the wildfires

More people have become interested in growing and cooking their own food. Maybe it won't last, but I'm hoping it's a small step forward for sustainability.

Personally, I've spent a lot of time with my children these past nine months. It hasn't been all roses the past nine months cooped up indoors, but on the whole I have enjoyed the family time.
Old 10-28-20, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 310 Likes on 241 Posts

God.. the question doesn't even register, it's been such a horrible, horrible year. The only upside? It's almost over. If you want, I'll give you a list of 2525 downsides, however.
Old 10-28-20, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 410 Likes on 201 Posts

Working from home has been a gift. My 50 mile a day commute was a lot more soul sucking than I realized.

I still have one cat left of the three I started the year out with.

My 94 year old father is now living with me and after being nearly 1000 miles apart for 35 years, it is a great joy to have this time with him.

My 85 year old uncle passed away in September so he will not have to go through whatever else is going to happen to this shit country of ours in the next few months--oops, forget it, this ain't Politics.
The following 4 users liked this post by Vibiana:
AGuyNamedMike (10-29-20), danwiz (10-29-20), Norm de Plume (10-28-20), spainlinx0 (10-29-20)
Old 10-28-20, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 310 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Ask me again on November 4th. Or maybe later...
No magic bullet man, Replacing a douche for an unknown won't solve anything and may create MORE strife, tenson. and unrest.
Old 10-28-20, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 333 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
No magic bullet man, Replacing a douche for an unknown won't solve anything and may create MORE strife, tenson. and unrest.
That may be true, but it very well could be the highlight of my year.
Old 10-29-20, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 344 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
God.. the question doesn't even register, it's been such a horrible, horrible year. The only upside? It's almost over. If you want, I'll give you a list of 2525 downsides, however.
Unfortunately it's not just going to go away just because we put up a new calendar.
JeffTheAlpaca (10-29-20)
Old 10-29-20, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,250 Likes on 923 Posts

My favorite sports team (Lakers) finally won an NBA championship after 10 years

Me, my Mom, Dad and Sister have all kept our health. My Mom is 68 and Dad is 71, so that's one of the things I think about every day is them staying healthy and they have.

and I got my job back in July after a 4 month furlough and things are going good working from home right now.

and me and my family managed to survive the last 8 months without any financial hardships, which was a really good thing. I know a lot of people are suffering with mounting debt, including medical.
Old 10-29-20, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 344 Likes on 251 Posts

There have been some positives. At the beginning of the year I was recognized at work for helping one our docs that got the flu and was on the verge of dying that we were able to save by putting him on a heart lung bypass machine. There was a fancy dinner and everything.

Working from home for a few days this year has been nice and serves as a nice emergency situation so if we're sick we can still work and not take time off if we don't have to. And hoping to implement that into the holiday schedule for us to so hopefully we can do it when we have to work Thanksgiving and Christmas.

We got to celebrate my daughter's birthday (she only gets one every four years) at Disney. And recently was finally able to experience all the new stuff at Hollywood Studios including Star Wars Galaxies edge, Toy Story Land and Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway. It may seem stupid to most but I really do get a lot of joy out of theme parks.

I get to see my now 20 month old learn new words and experiences. It's always fun seeing them grow at this age. Almost every day is something new she didn't know how to do or say before. Including blowing a raspberry every time I ask her "what does your butt say" after going through the typical, dog, cat, tiger, sheep etc.
Old 10-29-20, 01:27 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 568 Likes on 409 Posts

I (redacted) and (redacted) so, yeah, I'm in a 'good' place... For now.
Old 10-29-20, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 188 Posts

The 49ers winning the NFC Championship.

The downside losing the Super Bowl.

Animals could wander the streets without the threat of humans though that was for a short while.
Old 10-29-20, 03:49 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The beginning of the year started of rocky (car wreck minor health scare) but overall 2020 hasn't been a bad year for me and my wife. With the theaters closed the studios have been pushing more older movies to get restored so we work more then ever, found out we can work from home all the time so we no longer have to go back and forth from Scotland to California so we get to have alot more time with our two daughters at home. We finished building our second greenhouse finally (took two years because we made it bigger then we anticipated. Finally had time to watch a decent amount of my movies I've been meaning to (over 700 so far this year). Before the new lockdown restrictions of not being able to vist other peoples homes our families got together more then we have in along time. So beyond the shops being closed in our town things have really stayed the same or gotten better.
Old 10-29-20, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 297 Posts

I'm still alive.

Some of you who friended me on Facebook know that I suffered from congestive heart failure back in August. Two-day hospital vacation. Blood pressure 222/129. Lungs/feet full of fluid.

Oh, and the Kansas City Chiefs won the Superb Owl.

The following 2 users liked this post by TomOpus:
AGuyNamedMike (10-29-20), tanman (10-29-20)
Old 10-29-20, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 341 Likes on 199 Posts

I suppose the 400% increase in my fabric sales is an upside.

Old 10-29-20, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 91 Posts

Our family still has our health. My Wife landed a job she has been wanting for years. We were able to buy her a new car. Two of my favorite sports teams, the Lakers and the Dodgers won Championships. I was able to snag a pre-order for a PS5. Yeah, the year has been like no other, but we have made it to almost November with everything we started the year with. Unfortunately, there's a lot of people who cannot say that. They have lost loved ones, jobs, their homes, so we are very grateful for what we have.
AGuyNamedMike (10-30-20)
Old 10-29-20, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 157 Posts

I haven't had to commute to NYC for work, and I also thankfully still have my job. Working from home is better than I could've hoped for, and I'm very lucky that I am able to do so.
Old 10-29-20, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 280 Posts

Good idea, let's try to focus on whatever little positive we can take from this terrible year.

- I still have my job, and it's nice to know that I'm in a career that seems more or less "pandemic proof"
- my wife was laid off for six months (works in a restaurant) but the Canadian government had made sure that people in her situation still get money
- I'm using this situation to improve myself (i.e. I quit drinking, am eating better, exercising more and trying things that I never have before, like meditation
- the money we're saving from not having to buy gas, pay tolls, buy booze, eating at restaurants, etc. is helping pay for some needed home improvements
- my family and friends are all safe and healthy so far.

Yeah, it sucks right now, but could be a lot worse, just trying to stay somewhat positive as best we can.

AGuyNamedMike (10-30-20)
Old 10-29-20, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

Because I stayed in so much during the lockdown, I watched tons of stuff on cable, DVD and other media, including 45 Hong Kong movies (1960s to 1990s) back-to-back in June and July.

I got diagnosed with sleep apnea late last year and have found a good doctor to treat it.

I began in earnest going through all my stuff in my apartment, developed a back problem while doing so and went to physical therapy which gave me the exercise routine to cure it and allow me to continue working on the apartment.

Starting in August, I got rid of thousands of VHS tapes, throwing most out, donating some to Salvation Army and having ten boxes of kung fu tapes picked up by a friend who has a place for them. There's still more in the closet to go through. It's certain there are more kung fu tapes buried in the back of the closet and when I find those, I'm sure I'll have enough for the friend to make a return visit to get them.

I'm close to getting all my files organized and consolidated (throwing out tons of paper in the process) and when that's done I'm starting on my books (dozens of boxes and thousands of books to go through to see what I want to keep, what I want to sell or donate, and what I want to discard).

There are times this summer, when it was too hot and humid to work, that I got stricken with deep despair that I'd ever get a handle on this. My big fear is dying and leaving all this stuff for my daughter to take time off from her busy career (which is thriving now) to plow through and throw out. It's still a long tunnel, but I'm beginning to see light. I've been meaning to post pix of all this in the Alan Smithee thread. Maybe later.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 10-29-20 at 10:41 AM.
AGuyNamedMike (10-29-20)
Old 10-29-20, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I gained a greater appreciation of human contact, and learned to better cope with a lack of it.
​​​​​​
Old 10-29-20, 10:58 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 345 Likes on 306 Posts

the only upside will be looking to inauguration day in Jan 2021, when all the votes are counted and therefore no more Trump (even though he'll fight the results to the bitter end, but will lose).

It will be a better US, for EVERY person (every race, gender, color, creed, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc.). Economically, personally, socially, mentally and hopefully physically. that's it. that is the only possible upside.

Covid will still be around (likely through 2022), though it will be recognized, finally, as a BIG fucking deal, which some people in the higher offices of gov't think it isn't. something more will be done, whatever can be done, under a new executive body.

Violence, outrage, non-peaceful protests will be long forgotten and we can get on track to becoming the greatest nation/superpower we once were. Period!

Last edited by OldBoy; 10-29-20 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-29-20, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 106 Likes on 70 Posts

TomOpus--I quit Facebook, so I didn't know. I'm glad you're still here with us.

----

We completely changed our lifestyle and downsized. Money saved on not eating out or traveling is getting put into the house--we did the roof this summer and are now starting a deck/catio project. Really enjoying time with my two kittens, who are teenagers now.

Old 10-29-20, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

My husband and I were able to do more hiking and camping than we have ever done, which was wonderful. We are each other's best friends, so we don't have many problems getting along, though now and then (rarely actually) we do have a hollering match. There have been some bad things regarding our small business, being able to do stuff with friends and so on, but we are happy and healthy and living through this pandemic to the best of our ability.
The following 2 users liked this post by danwiz:
AGuyNamedMike (10-29-20), tanman (10-29-20)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.