Reload this Page >

Random Bicycle Thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

Random Bicycle Thread

Old 09-22-20, 05:17 PM
bcd

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Random Bicycle Thread

So I have recently gotten in to cycling during the pandemic, and realized that my Mountain Bike from 1990 wasn't going to cut it. I bought a new Trek hybrid and love it. I have logged over 700 miles in 3 months, including 2 60+ mile rides, after most likely not biking that much since I was a kid. After riding my new bike, I realized that there is a ton of work that could be done on my old one and have been fucking around trying to restore it. I currently am sitting with everything off my frame and thinking of striping and repainting it.

Has anyone here ever done that, or does big bicycle maintenance themselves?
Old 09-22-20, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Re: Random Bicycle Thread

I have never restored a frame/bicycle. I do some maintenance on some of my bicycles.
Not riding much in this heat and now smokey air.

Never heard of quantum .Looks like a good old steel frame.
I bought a few older nice bicycles at thrift shops for good prices over the years.
But that is when I went shopping every week.

Check out this forum. They have some members that restore old bikes.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/

Good luck
Old 09-23-20, 11:46 AM
bcd

Your right with the Steel frame, very sturdy and very heavy!
Old 09-23-20, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

I love a forgiving steel frame for its smooth and comfortable ride.

I would consider sending a stripped frame out for powdercoating. With sandblasting/prep it should run less than $200 (depending on your location, maybe much less). You'll get a much nicer and more durable finish than a couple spray cans of Rustoleum can provide.

(My creds: I ran a bicycle shop for a few years in the '90s, tech certs and everything.)
Old 09-23-20, 12:20 PM
bcd

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
I love a forgiving steel frame for its smooth and comfortable ride.

I would consider sending a stripped frame out for powdercoating. With sandblasting/prep it should run less than $200 (depending on your location, maybe much less). You'll get a much nicer and more durable finish than a couple spray cans of Rustoleum can provide.

(My creds: I ran a bicycle shop for a few years in the '90s, tech certs and everything.)
I had another friend suggest powder coating as well. I'll have to give it look. Thanks!
Old 03-12-21, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 408 Likes on 289 Posts

Bump!

I barely use my motorcycle anymore and decided to sell it. Therefore, I'm thinking of buying an e-bike! I've been reading/watching reviews and I originally considered the RadRover 5 Fat Bike but people were saying the Canadian model was underpowered (among other things) and suggested ordering the Ride1Up 700 Series from the US instead. Reviews for it are great. Both cost approx 2k CDN.

Anyone have one? Do you have the ST or XR? Does anyone own another brand/model? Thoughts?
Old 03-12-21, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

I bought a mountain bike a year and a half ago. I've only taken it on trails a few times. Instead, I make long road rides, from 20-100+ miles. I average 600 miles each month. When I make the century rides I get home pretty worn out and often have cramps for a day or two. I've been looking at endurance bikes, but the nice ones cost more than most cars I've owned. I can't decide whether I should get a mid-range endurance bike or a lottery ticket so I can afford a Trek Domane SL7.
Old 03-12-21, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 175 Posts

Anyone else here like recumbent trikes?
Old 03-19-21, 08:50 AM
bcd

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
I bought a mountain bike a year and a half ago. I've only taken it on trails a few times. Instead, I make long road rides, from 20-100+ miles. I average 600 miles each month. When I make the century rides I get home pretty worn out and often have cramps for a day or two. I've been looking at endurance bikes, but the nice ones cost more than most cars I've owned. I can't decide whether I should get a mid-range endurance bike or a lottery ticket so I can afford a Trek Domane SL7.
Great Bike! After all my biking in the past year looking to get a Domane AL3. They are great looking bikes and ride really well. My Trek FX1 will probably be converted into a training bike in the basement.

Also, still have yet to decide on painting or powdercoating the frame...
Old 03-19-21, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I couldn't find the Domane 7 available anywhere and would have cried if I spent that much money. I got a Canyon Endurace 8.0 instead. I didn't think the electronic shifting would be a big deal, but after only one ride, I love it. I have some larger pedals coming in a few days. I'll try it out on a century ride after that.
Old 03-20-21, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was reading that e-bike sales have skyrocketed during there pandemic. Manufacturers have reported increased sales in the hundreds of percent (as much as 600%) and delivery dates on a couple brands I looked at is pushed to June/July. Same in Europe where e-bikes are more popular in general, accounting for 17% of sales (North America is 4-5%). Some countries have crosses the 50% mark, Belgium at 51% and of course the Netherlands which is over 70%.

So... after much research, I ordered a Ride1Up 700XR from the US.

The following users liked this post:
The Bus (07-26-21)
Old 03-20-21, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 188 Likes on 127 Posts

Sales of all types of bikes have skyrocketed during the pandemic.
I noticed last summer every time I went out riding that there were a lot more people out. Around here bike shops a couple months ago were saying that if you wanted a bike under $2,000 you'd have to wait until November.

I definitely noticed more e-bikes out there as well. They're good for commuting, but I would never use one in place of a manual bike - the exercise is much too important to me.
I would love to use one after doing my regular ride though - just as a way to relax after getting a good workout while still enjoying the sites and the fresh air.
eXcentris (03-20-21)
Old 03-20-21, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ You're right, sales of all bikes went through the roof. The % of e-bike sales though, is slowly increasing. And I was pretty much in your camp about the exercise aspect until I started reading/watching reviews and talking to folks on e-bike groups/forums. On an e-bike, the amount of exercise you get entirely depends on you. These e-bikes tend to be heavy (the one above is 63 lbs). If you leave the level of pedal assist at 1, you're gonna get a workout. Of course if you only use the throttle, you'll get no exercise at all. But then, you should get a scooter, not an e-bike.

P.S. This refers to your run-of-the-mill, average cyclist. Your hardcore cyclist probably feels differently.
Old 05-04-21, 04:54 PM
bcd

I couldn't find the Domane 7 available anywhere and would have cried if I spent that much money. I got a Canyon Endurace 8.0 instead. I didn't think the electronic shifting would be a big deal, but after only one ride, I love it. I have some larger pedals coming in a few days. I'll try it out on a century ride after that.
Was wavering on what road bike to get and settled on the Canyon endurance 6.0. Pretty much entry level for Canyon, but I have been riding a "Fitness" flat bar bike for a while and while it gets me through 60+ mile rides, have been looking for an upgrade! Not sure when it will arrive but I should be able to get a bunch of good miles on it before the end of the season Century Ride!
Old 05-04-21, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I couldn't believe the difference between riding a mountain bike on the road vs. an endurance bike. My second ride was 130 miles over the Santa Monica Mountains, across the San Fernando Valley, through the farms in Ventura County, then back home along the Pacific Coast Highway. I didn't have leg cramps! I've had the Canyon Endurace 8.0 for less than two months and have already made three 100+ mile rides.
bcd (05-05-21)
Old 05-04-21, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

After a few weeks, my e-bike has been great. It's more fun and I ride longer, so the level of exercise discrepancy is non existent. I'd never go back to a regular bike.
Old 05-05-21, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
After a few weeks, my e-bike has been great. It's more fun and I ride longer, so the level of exercise discrepancy is non existent. I'd never go back to a regular bike.
definitely never renting another regular bike when in Linosa — the last time we were there I got an eBike, and going up volcanoes during a scorching cloudless day to get home from the seaside with a regular bike is torture, with an eBike, pure pleasure.

That said, I am fine with my 2003 Specialized bike in NYC. Here the huge advantage is having a very light bike for carrying up the stairs in our walk-up, and then hanging it from the ceiling in our small apartment. Doing the pedaling is good exercise, and at any rate most bike lanes (like the Greenway which we usually take when heading downtown) are crowded enough that you are unlikely to gain much time with an eBike. But, if we ever move out of the City, I’d get an eBike first thing.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ted Todorov:
eXcentris (05-07-21), The Bus (07-26-21)
Old 05-05-21, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I just treated myself to a new bike as a present for remaining sober since January 1st. Kind of a weird one - a Priority Apollo. It's a gravel/road bike with a belt drive and internally geared hub. I've got another bike with an IGH and love it, and I haven't had a road bike for a while, despite doing frequent 50+ mile rides.

Of course it's backordered, so I won't get it until August, but that's ok. It'll still get plenty of use this year.
The Bus (07-26-21)
Old 05-05-21, 08:46 AM
bcd

I couldn't believe the difference between riding a mountain bike on the road vs. an endurance bike. My second ride was 130 miles over the Santa Monica Mountains, across the San Fernando Valley, through the farms in Ventura County, then back home along the Pacific Coast Highway. I didn't have leg cramps! I've had the Canyon Endurace 8.0 for less than two months and have already made three 100+ mile rides.
Awesome, I done quite a few 100KM rides on my fitness bike, can't wait to ride it. It will help that the new bike is also almost 10lbs lighter than the one I am currently riding!
Old 05-05-21, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My last bike was 35#. My Canyon is 17#, which is part of the reason it's so easy to ride. Unfortunately, crosswinds ten to push me around more.
Old 05-05-21, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Those Canyon Endurance bikes look pretty nice. Looking forward to updates after you've both used them for a few months.
Old 05-05-21, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My last bike was 35#. My Canyon is 17#, which is part of the reason it's so easy to ride. Unfortunately, crosswinds ten to push me around more.
That's a huge difference. I never worry too much about weight on bikes, but when I occasionally remove the 10 extra pounds of crap I tend to carry around in my bag when riding, it feels like I'm flying.
Old 05-05-21, 11:43 AM
bcd

My old 1990 mountain bike is in the 35+ range and my Trek FX1 is over #28 Looking forward to riding a lighter bike. I think my Canyon model is just a hair under 20#.
Old 05-27-21, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Bought a Triban rc520 road bike for $1200 from Decathlon. It can fit a much bigger tire for riding off road or gravel.
Really like the shimano 105 groupset . Stock is so low right now on bikes and components.
Another bike I was interested in was the Marin DSX 1 flat bar. Both nice bikes for riding both on and off road.
Bought my son a used Salsa Journeyman. Both drop bar off road bicycles.
Now I need to thin the herd

Last edited by JoeySeven; 05-27-21 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-28-21, 11:00 AM
bcd

Originally Posted by JoeySeven View Post
Bought a Triban rc520 road bike for $1200 from Decathlon. It can fit a much bigger tire for riding off road or gravel.
Really like the shimano 105 groupset . Stock is so low right now on bikes and components.
Another bike I was interested in was the Marin DSX 1 flat bar. Both nice bikes for riding both on and off road.
Bought my son a used Salsa Journeyman. Both drop bar off road bicycles.
Now I need to thin the herd

That's a great looking bike. I recently got a Canyon Endurace AL 6.0 and I freaking love it. I had it a few weeks and have put about 250 miles on it can't say enough goo things about it! The only thing that I might do sooner rather than later is some bigger tires that are more durable for commuting to work. Also need to potentially get a bike fitting done for it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.