Random Bicycle Thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

Random Bicycle Thread

Old 09-13-21, 02:31 PM
bcd

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: Random Bicycle Thread

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement. I am back off the ledge. Since I also plan on using a trainer quite a bit, I think I will be able to practice enough to get used to them. In the meantime, I have a short very lightly used 2 mile path near me with grass on both sides that I plan on hitting. And thanks bcd for the reminder to practice the switch of hands. Frankly, I would not have thought about that. Appreciate it.
The other thing to practice, which is great if you have a trainer is reaching for your water bottles. Can be a little dicey at times. I practice getting them with my left had so that my right hand is available to brake if necessary. ALl of it sounds silly, but I took up biking after not having ridden for a couple decades, and the riding part was super easy, it was the rest that I had to work on.
The following users liked this post:
Pharoh (09-22-21)
Old 09-13-21, 07:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Went over the handlebars and faceplanted, skidding along the front of my face. Broke off two teeth at the gumline.
Old 09-14-21, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Oh, shit, sorry to hear! I hope your recover is somewhat fast.

I think about that possibility when I occasionally hit 30 mph, but I try not to.
Old 09-14-21, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 260 Likes on 149 Posts

I've had my bike up to 43mph on some steep hills but the only times I've gotten seriously injured was at a full stop or going about 1mph when I couldn't get my feet off the pedals in time to stop the fall.
Old 09-14-21, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 265 Likes on 187 Posts

Ouch bryce.
Old 09-14-21, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

So, 2 bolt or 3 bolt? Which do you guys use?
At first, I did not know what you were talking about, but almost sure it about bicycle shoe cleats/pedals.
For short rides, I just use basic flat pedals. for longer road rides I have Shimano clip-in pedals 3 bolts and shoes( they come in wide sizes.
I can list the exact type later.

For off-road/ gravel I just ordered some Look X-Track Race 6 2 bolts from eBay for about $65 , but have not tired them out yet.

Last edited by JoeySeven; 09-15-21 at 02:50 AM.
Old 09-15-21, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

I just set up my Raleigh Tamland as a grocery/shopping ride. Still need a front rack.
Really like the Bushwhacker Panniers as they are easy to fold up when not in use and you can just drop a full grocery bag in each side.

Ibera Bike Rack - Bicycle Touring Carrier Plus+ for Disc Brake Mount (Amazon/$43)

Bushwhacker Omaha - Bicycle Grocery Pannier Cycling Rack Basket Bike Rear Bag Rear Accessories - Sold as Pair (Amazon warehouse/$56)

Ibera bicycle frame bag-had it for a few years

Also bought a 90L Hiking Backpack for Men Women Waterproof Military Camping Rucksack Travel Daypack from Walmart for $14.XX.
To use with one of my lighter road bikes if I'm out riding and decide to do some light shopping. Looks like it is OOS now.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/90L-Hikin...pack/573154496

Old 09-15-21, 09:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
Ouch bryce.
I'm just a casual rider, about 11mph for about 25 miles a day, in to work and back if there's no weather and it's above 55 degrees. I was up on the pedals though to power up to go up a hill/overpass over a busy road on the railtrail I take halfway in. Rabbit. Swerve. Crack. Tire. Faceplant skid. "Are those my teeth in front of me on the blacktop?" I've been thinking about a full face helmet after this, but probably won't do it.

I had two temp crowns and two root canals finished about 10:30am, about four hours after it happened around 6:30am on my ride in to work. I've now had five dentist exams, with one more left to go to get my permanent crowns once they come in. I think it's going to be about $2,000 once all is said and done, not counting new glasses a new phone.

This is at about 8am, at the first dentists waiting room that morning. I rode home, showered, used the fuck out of a septic pencil to stop the bleeding (Ouch!), and hoofed it one block away to the medical building behind my condo with, I shit you not, 14 dentists in it. Eventually I found someone who could get me in immediatly, and not in three weeks.

Norm de Plume (09-19-21)
Old 09-15-21, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 265 Likes on 187 Posts

You kept it together and got on the mend within a couple hours. Kudos! Be well.
Norm de Plume (09-19-21)
Old 09-22-21, 07:54 AM

Received 155 Likes on 107 Posts

Mini update and rant:

First, thanks again to everyone. There is so much information out there but hearing from experienced people I trust and possess many similar characteristics is most helpful, especially for a beginner. As for me, I got my bike 3-4 weeks ago. Took it to a local shop for assembly, which necessitated a 2 week wait. Here is where the rant will come in, but further down. They did not do, or offer, any basic fitting so I tried myself. I thought I was at least close and was able to go on small rides and test clipping/unclipping. Only fell once in my driveway, so pretty good. However, I was not that confident in my cleat placement, so made an appointment with a different local shop for a fitting. Turned out to be an awesome experience. Incredibly helpful fitter/tech, who knew what he was doing. I thought it was incredibly inexpensive as well, as he spent quite a bit of time on cleat placement and helped me understand better the principles behind the fitting. Turns out I was not as close as I thought. This was last Thursday.

The ride after the fitting was great. Got out Saturday and Sunday for 20 miles each day and loved it. Still a total beginner and working on the basics, but have done fairly well. No major issues or falls and getting more comfortable. Rained all day Monday, but snuck out for lunch yesterday for 10 miles, though it was wet and with a little rain.

Which brings up a couple questions. Do you guys do anything special after a wet ride? I obviously wiped bike down and air blew the components, but did not clean the chain and oil. Since it was the factory "oil" I felt it best to not touch it yet. Good or bad idea? Any suggestions? Secondly, what do you guys use for flats? Cartridges or pump? I like the idea of cartridges, being smaller to carry, but what are the downsides?

Now for small rant, and one that does not apply just to the bike industry. I try to support local businesses, never using one for showrooming. If they have what I want and offer me technical/informational aid in my purchase I will buy from them. However, why are so many local businesses so bad? The place where I had the bike assembled offered a basic fitting when I spoke on the phone, but in fact did not. Further, I told them I would buy accessories from them, including the pedals, but when I went to pick it up they had no interest in helping me and had already put on plastic pedals. And had a bad vibe. In trying to find a place for a fitting, I called two other local shops, one of which is a chain of 5 or 6 stores. Nobody ever returned my inquiry to get the appointment for a fitting, and when I went into one of their locations, had an air of arrogance. Sure, maybe they're great with their customers of 20 years, but as someone who analyzes large businesses for a living, they were shockingly bad. Fortunately, I found the place I did, and it so happens to be close to my house. But up until that point, the best service and guidance I was given was at REI. There is a reason large chains work and many local stores do not. Anyway, rant over.

Thanks again for the tips and help. And Bryce, hope the recovery goes well. Good luck.
Old 09-22-21, 08:49 AM
bcd

I have been taking cartridges, but will most likely switch or add a pump. The problem with cartridges as I see it is that you don't know how much air you are putting in, and if you mess up putting the cartridge in, you have no way to get air in your tire and are stuck with an unrideable bike. With that said, I have flatted twice and was able to keep going using cartridges. But a hand pump although a pain to use at times, will always be reliable.

As for the Local businesses thing, I lucked out and met a guy at my bike shop who was a 20+ year employee and he is amazing, he rides almost everyday of the year. I could have just as easily met a guy who worked only worked there for a few days and was just hired because they need bodies in the store and potentially knew nothing about bikes. Like the guy who checked me out who was asking all sorts of questions about what I was buying and clearly knew nothing about bikes, these are some of the guys who wind up answering the phones as well. You swap out "bike shop" with the descriptor of any other local business and have the same problem.
Old 09-22-21, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 611 Likes on 436 Posts

Man, eBike tech is evolving really fast but Europe is way ahead:

Eurobike 2021: Here are the top 20 coolest electric bikes we saw at the show!

Rayvolt eBike with regenerative braking:

Old 09-22-21, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by bcd View Post
I have been taking cartridges, but will most likely switch or add a pump. The problem with cartridges as I see it is that you don't know how much air you are putting in, and if you mess up putting the cartridge in, you have no way to get air in your tire and are stuck with an unrideable bike. With that said, I have flatted twice and was able to keep going using cartridges. But a hand pump although a pain to use at times, will always be reliable.

As for the Local businesses thing, I lucked out and met a guy at my bike shop who was a 20+ year employee and he is amazing, he rides almost everyday of the year. I could have just as easily met a guy who worked only worked there for a few days and was just hired because they need bodies in the store and potentially knew nothing about bikes. Like the guy who checked me out who was asking all sorts of questions about what I was buying and clearly knew nothing about bikes, these are some of the guys who wind up answering the phones as well. You swap out "bike shop" with the descriptor of any other local business and have the same problem.
I agree completely regarding other local businesses. The only thing I would add, would be that some of the local bike shops I've dealt with appear to construct barriers to entry.
Old 09-22-21, 03:29 PM
bcd

I agree completely regarding other local businesses. The only thing I would add, would be that some of the local bike shops I've dealt with appear to construct barriers to entry.
In what way?
Old 09-23-21, 06:53 AM

Yeah, that is a concern for me, but I didn't want to carry the pump on the frame. Completely unfounded concern?

Of course the global CO2 issues probably help my decision.

In what way?
Attitudinally & culturally. The workers simply didn't seem willing to help new riders. I felt at one shop it was due to their lack of inventory and thus an inability to sell higher ticket items, but at 1 or 2 others it was more about being busy and having enough long time customers to occupy their time, coupled with a lack of patience for necessarily nave questions. Fortunately, I did eventually find a better shop.

Last edited by Pharoh; 09-23-21 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-23-21, 08:11 AM
bcd

Yeah, that is a concern for me, but I didn't want to carry the pump on the frame. Completely unfounded concern?

Of course the global CO2 issues probably help my decision.

Attitudinally & culturally. The workers simply didn't seem willing to help new riders. I felt at one shop it was due to their lack of inventory and thus an inability to sell higher ticket items, but at 1 or 2 others it was more about being busy and having enough long time customers to occupy their time, coupled with a lack of patience for necessarily nave questions. Fortunately, I did eventually find a better shop.

As for the pump you can find pumps that will attach to a bracket of sorts that goes underneath the water bottle cage. Seems like a good option. I have many friends who I ride with keep their pump there.

Also, thanks for clarifying regarding regarding the shop. My Local Bike shop is a main Trek Dealer and they have like 5% of their adult bike selection which is rough, I have no idea how you try to to get someone interested in the sport when the cheapest bike you have on the floor is over $3K. But I have seen the staffing issue/lack of proper training creeping up everywhere. A few years back we'd get dozens of applications for entry level positions and interview 3-4 people so we'd have a pick of who best represents the values and culture of the company and who we feel could provide great service. Now we are so short staffed that we are almost to the point of taking anyone. Glad you found a shop though. It is nice to have a place you feel comfortable to shop/ask questions/and have someone work on your bike.
Old 09-23-21, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bike shops have been completely overloaded during the pandemic because of a huge boom in sales. A lot of them ran out of inventory (except for higher priced items) and parts. Over here, they see clients by appointment only and if you manage to book one, it's months away. Try calling and all you get is "voicemail is full" and they tell you to book the appointment online. Unfortunately the technology to clone bike techs isn't ready yet.
Old 09-27-21, 11:28 AM
bcd

So, after trying to build toward a fully supported Century Ride this past Saturday I had to withdraw. I have had a bad ankle problem, then a knee problem after that. My knee wasn't strong enough to be able to get back on the bike without pain, and i hadn't been on a bike since 9/5. Really really bummed that I wasn't able to make the ride, and made the smart decision forgo the ride. So frustrating since this was going to be my big end of the year event. But I have a 90+ gravel race at the end of october, and have a route planned out for century that I can tackle once things get better.
Old 09-29-21, 08:25 PM

So, after trying to build toward a fully supported Century Ride this past Saturday I had to withdraw. I have had a bad ankle problem, then a knee problem after that. My knee wasn't strong enough to be able to get back on the bike without pain, and i hadn't been on a bike since 9/5. Really really bummed that I wasn't able to make the ride, and made the smart decision forgo the ride. So frustrating since this was going to be my big end of the year event. But I have a 90+ gravel race at the end of october, and have a route planned out for century that I can tackle once things get better.

Sorry to hear. Glad you took the smart course of action, something I haven't always done when it comes to running. Sure the feeling is the same. You know you should rest but it is very hard when you are so used to the activity, and in some sense require it. Good luck on the recovery and upcoming race.

Speaking of knees, I still have not been able to run and the knee was not where I think it should be, so went back to the Dr. today and got a Cortisone shot, though I didn't want to. We'll see how it works. I have been able to ride though. Thanks again for all you tips.
Old 10-12-21, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Gazelle makes excellent bikes, hopefully the quality filters through.

Dutch Owner of Gazelle bikes buys Cannondale, Schwinn for $810 million

https://news.yahoo.com/owner-gazelle...104822761.html
Old 11-01-21, 04:43 PM
bcd

So I did a thing. I entered my first gravel race and will say that I finished. It was 86 miles in the desert outside of Moab. One hell of a ride, that I don't know if I will ever do again but make it was a picture perfect day, the weather was amazing and the scenery was outstanding!
The following 5 users liked this post by bcd:
GoVegan (11-02-21), jfoobar (11-02-21), JoeySeven (11-05-21), Max Bottomtime (11-01-21), Pharoh (11-05-21)
Old 11-05-21, 12:58 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Loving this thread. Doing a 96 mile ride Saturday. 1/2 gravel. 1/2 road 14k ft of climbing out of Santa Barbara. Gravel bike is an open UP with 42mm byways.
Old 12-20-21, 07:30 AM

Question for anyone using a smart trainer.

ERG mode?

I am leaning toward not using it, but appreciate your thoughts.
Old 03-18-22, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Finally some nice biking days in the Midwest. Took my gravel bike out for a trail ride two days ago on some dirt paths by a river. Oops. It was soooooo muddy. The bike did pretty well, but we both needed a bath when I got back.

Honestly, it was super fun, though. I don't find many challenges in biking, but off-road trail riding certainly still presents one.

This particular trail always seems to have broken glass in one particular section, though. I think I'm going to walk it this upcoming week and try picking up all of it to see if it's a recurring problem. It's a pretty popular trail, so I'd be kind of surprised if nobody else is ever cleaning it up.
bcd (03-21-22)
Old 03-21-22, 12:51 PM
bcd

Been getting bike tuned and ready for commuting. Been off the bike for a while due to old age (knee issue, Achilles issue and bruised tailbone) but went for a ride this weekend and it was glorious. Was a little tired after being on the sidelines for a while due to new baby and injury issues. But looking forward to getting a bunch of miles in this year and potentially topping my 2,600 from last year!