Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Random Bicycle Thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

Random Bicycle Thread

Old 08-27-21, 12:58 PM
  #51  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 682
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Random Bicycle Thread

I switched to Tannus solid tires about four months ago.

I like the lack of anxiety about flats and not having to air up every morning for my 25 mile out and back to work. But ... there is no more give to the tires and you get a lot more vibration on the shitty city streets/sidewalks/rail trails. While the bike, proper, has held up fine, the rear cargo carrier had its bolts vibrate out four times, and then, once welded in place, broke the welds. It now routinely breaks JB weld that I put together every two weeks to keep it from rattling around. LOTS of vibration, but not impacting the more important parts of the bike.
Old 08-30-21, 02:16 PM
  #52  
bcd
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A place with only 3 seasons of Community
Posts: 898
Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: Random Bicycle Thread

Just did an 80 miler on Sunday. I think that I should be in good shape for the century ride at the end of September. I also got a late Father's Day present of an apidura frame bag, and it is awesome!



The following 3 users liked this post by bcd:
Max Bottomtime (08-31-21), Pharoh (08-30-21), redstang93 (09-01-21)
Old 09-01-21, 07:24 AM
  #53  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 169
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Random Bicycle Thread

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
I need a hitch and a bike rack. I'll get an EcoHitch for my Mini and I'm leaning towards this rack. Anyone uses it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6fNyrnJJv4
Super late and you might have already gotten a hitch rack, but I have the Kuat NV 2.0 and love it.

NV 2.0 Hitch Rack | Küat Racks | Bike Racks (kuat.com)

Originally Posted by bcd View Post
Just did an 80 miler on Sunday. I think that I should be in good shape for the century ride at the end of September. I also got a late Father's Day present of an apidura frame bag, and it is awesome
Awesome job! You will do great. I have found that nutrition is everything for really long rides. For me, once you get to 70-80 miles you are "over the hill" and getting to 100 doesn't seem so far away. You are over the shut up legs phase.
Old 09-01-21, 11:06 AM
  #54  
DVD Talk Hero
 
jfoobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 41,147
Received 558 Likes on 356 Posts
Re: Random Bicycle Thread

Originally Posted by redstang93 View Post
Awesome job! You will do great. I have found that nutrition is everything for really long rides. For me, once you get to 70-80 miles you are "over the hill" and getting to 100 doesn't seem so far away. You are over the shut up legs phase.
I have done several metric centuries and three true centuries. However, all of my true 100-milers have been in organized events with rest stations and what not. I recommend those as it creates nice stopping points to rest and carb load to complete the rest of the event. Just take your time, fill up on good snacks at the stops, and enjoy the day.
Old 09-01-21, 11:57 AM
  #55  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SnogBox
Posts: 7,902
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
Re: Random Bicycle Thread

Maybe off topic, but any recommendations on stationary bikes? We’re thinking of getting on to add for cardio options. Don’t want a built in screen, but want option to use a tablet on it. Looking for good build quality.
Old 09-01-21, 01:34 PM
  #56  
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: In mourning
Posts: 27,373
Received 155 Likes on 107 Posts
Re: Random Bicycle Thread

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
Maybe off topic, but any recommendations on stationary bikes? We’re thinking of getting on to add for cardio options. Don’t want a built in screen, but want option to use a tablet on it. Looking for good build quality.

What are you looking for? A spin style bike? Any price range?

Not a specific recommendation, but we purchased a refurbished Star Trac NXT bike. Relatively close to me is a company that buys out used/out of business equipment from gyms and health clubs, refurbishes them, and resells. Since it is a commercial bike, it is built like a tank. At least an avenue to look into.
Old 09-01-21, 01:42 PM
  #57  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SnogBox
Posts: 7,902
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
Re: Random Bicycle Thread

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
What are you looking for? A spin style bike? Any price range?

Not a specific recommendation, but we purchased a refurbished Star Trac NXT bike. Relatively close to me is a company that buys out used/out of business equipment from gyms and health clubs, refurbishes them, and resells. Since it is a commercial bike, it is built like a tank. At least an avenue to look into.
I didn’t realize there are different types? A stationary bike with resistance adjustment. What other type is there?!

We looked at a few in the store. The $500-600 models were okay, but you could definitely tell a jump in build quality (less plastic, more sturdy, magnetic vs friction) when you get around $1k. Next jump in price ($1300+) seems to get into attached screens and service territory.
Old 09-01-21, 03:12 PM
  #58  
DVD Talk Hero
 
jfoobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 41,147
Received 558 Likes on 356 Posts
Re: Random Bicycle Thread

Do you already have a road bike you like to ride? If so, consider a smart trainer and something like Zwift.
Old 09-01-21, 03:38 PM
  #59  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 33,611
Received 611 Likes on 436 Posts
Re: Random Bicycle Thread

My question would be: Is doing cardio by riding a stationary bike indoors something you like doing? Or is it "I hate it but I have to do cardio"?

Because after I bought an Oculus Quest and discovered "fitness apps", I immediately decided I was never doing cardio in a gym again.
Old 09-01-21, 03:52 PM
  #60  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SnogBox
Posts: 7,902
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
Re: Random Bicycle Thread

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Do you already have a road bike you like to ride? If so, consider a smart trainer and something like Zwift.
No road bike.

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
My question would be: Is doing cardio by riding a stationary bike indoors something you like doing? Or is it "I hate it but I have to do cardio"?

Because after I bought an Oculus Quest and discovered "fitness apps", I immediately decided I was never doing cardio in a gym again.
Its fine. Currently use elliptical we have, but that only does so much. I run outside time to time, but bleh.
Old 09-01-21, 05:57 PM
  #61  
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: In mourning
Posts: 27,373
Received 155 Likes on 107 Posts
Re: Random Bicycle Thread

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
I didn’t realize there are different types? A stationary bike with resistance adjustment. What other type is there?!

We looked at a few in the store. The $500-600 models were okay, but you could definitely tell a jump in build quality (less plastic, more sturdy, magnetic vs friction) when you get around $1k. Next jump in price ($1300+) seems to get into attached screens and service territory.
No expert here, but there are stationary bikes, the likes of which you find in many gyms and there are spin bikes, which attempt to replicate road bikes. Stationary bikes don't allow you to pedal backwards or stand up and pedal. I assume, based on what you have looked at, your choice is a spin style bike. Check out the Echelon line as a sub $1k option.
Old 09-02-21, 05:19 PM
  #62  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Max Bottomtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Torrance, California
Posts: 5,561
Received 260 Likes on 149 Posts
Re: Random Bicycle Thread

The following users liked this post:
eXcentris (09-02-21)
Old 09-02-21, 08:10 PM
  #63  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 33,611
Received 611 Likes on 436 Posts
Re: Random Bicycle Thread

^ I'm on an over 60 eBike group on FB and a lot of members are folks who picked up cycling again after 10-15-20 years mostly because of health reasons. Some couples have been able to ride together again because an eBike allows one partner to follow the other on a regular bike. The downside is that you see quite a few falls/accidents because an eBike has a motor to contend with and, after a long time without riding, balance can be an issue. Ultimately though, eBikes get a lot of older folks to lead healthier lives and that's awesome.
Old 09-05-21, 09:42 PM
  #64  
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: In mourning
Posts: 27,373
Received 155 Likes on 107 Posts
Re: Random Bicycle Thread

So, 2 bolt or 3 bolt? Which do you guys use?
Old 09-08-21, 01:10 PM
  #65  
bcd
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A place with only 3 seasons of Community
Posts: 898
Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: Random Bicycle Thread

I use the 2 bolt, it seemed like the better option at the time for riding around, and being able to walk when it is my turn to buy the pastries and coffee. Also, since I've taken to gravel riding as well I like the grippier shoes.
Old 09-08-21, 01:59 PM
  #66  
DVD Talk Legend
 
AGuyNamedMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Posts: 16,471
Received 265 Likes on 187 Posts
Re: Random Bicycle Thread

On city, touring, and mountain bikes I was always a toe-clips guy, and clipless for road only. Of course, nowadays that'll get me an "OK, boomer".
Old 09-08-21, 02:39 PM
  #67  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 33,611
Received 611 Likes on 436 Posts
Re: Random Bicycle Thread

My Mikado road bike had toe-clips and my eBike doesn't so I've had a few shoe/pedal slips when I go off road. I ended up changing the pedals for MTB pedals.
Old 09-09-21, 10:13 AM
  #68  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Max Bottomtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Torrance, California
Posts: 5,561
Received 260 Likes on 149 Posts
Re: Random Bicycle Thread

I used clips for a short time, but after falling twice and getting bruised and cut in multiple places, I gave them up. I'm 6' 3" with a 29" bike. When I start to lean at a stop I have to put a foot down quickly. On two occasions, I couldn't get my foot out of the clip in time.
Old 09-09-21, 11:21 AM
  #69  
bcd
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A place with only 3 seasons of Community
Posts: 898
Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: Random Bicycle Thread

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
I used clips for a short time, but after falling twice and getting bruised and cut in multiple places, I gave them up. I'm 6' 3" with a 29" bike. When I start to lean at a stop I have to put a foot down quickly. On two occasions, I couldn't get my foot out of the clip in time.
Luckily this hasn't happened to me yet on the road, came close when I lost a screw from my cleat and couldn't clip out on my right foot but barely got the left one out before eating shit. On a ride that went up some steep gravel I spun the back wheels a few time and stalled and fell over I have since gotten a pair of these.


I just put my two bolt clips on them and then can attach to one side of the pedal and are flat, while I can still clip in on the other side. They are super lightweight and nice to have as a option.


Old 09-09-21, 02:07 PM
  #70  
DVD Talk Hero
 
jfoobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 41,147
Received 558 Likes on 356 Posts
Re: Random Bicycle Thread

I absolutely refuse to use clipless pedals. On my road bikes I just use flats and have never had any reason to be unhappy with them honestly. On my main bike, my Surly, I have some sort of mountain bike pedal on but cannot recall the brand offhand.
Old 09-09-21, 03:21 PM
  #71  
bcd
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A place with only 3 seasons of Community
Posts: 898
Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: Random Bicycle Thread

Interesting about the pedals

I'd say clipless pedals were probably the best thing that I have done/upgraded on my road/gravel bike. But I also bike mostly on a path with only 3-4 intersections to cross in a 60 mile route. I found that once I switched that my legs were less tired after the 60 mile route and most rides in general.
Old 09-09-21, 05:44 PM
  #72  
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: In mourning
Posts: 27,373
Received 155 Likes on 107 Posts
Re: Random Bicycle Thread

So, before reading the last few replies here, sans bcd's, I was convinced to go clipless and 3-bolt. Everybody I talk to, friends and acquaintances who bike, bike mechanics, and seemingly knowledgeable local bike shop employees have said to go clipless. While I had trepidation on learning to quickly and intuitively unclip, now I am worried.
Old 09-10-21, 08:45 AM
  #73  
bcd
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A place with only 3 seasons of Community
Posts: 898
Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: Random Bicycle Thread

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
So, before reading the last few replies here, sans bcd's, I was convinced to go clipless and 3-bolt. Everybody I talk to, friends and acquaintances who bike, bike mechanics, and seemingly knowledgeable local bike shop employees have said to go clipless. While I had trepidation on learning to quickly and intuitively unclip, now I am worried.
Its easy to learn, you can practice by being stationary leaning against a wall. The challenging part is remembering to clip out before you come to a complete stop. I would also practice unclipping and clipping back in while riding after a while it just becomes routine like switching from the hoods to the drops on a road bike. Just takes a little practice.
Old 09-10-21, 10:11 AM
  #74  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 7,164
Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: Random Bicycle Thread

Yeah, it's really not bad at all, and becomes second nature pretty quickly. You'll just want to do a quick test of the pedals at the beginning of every ride to make sure you can clip into and out of both before getting going. I give mine a light cleaning and oiling every few months.
Old 09-10-21, 10:38 AM
  #75  
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: In mourning
Posts: 27,373
Received 155 Likes on 107 Posts
Re: Random Bicycle Thread

Originally Posted by bcd View Post
Its easy to learn, you can practice by being stationary leaning against a wall. The challenging part is remembering to clip out before you come to a complete stop. I would also practice unclipping and clipping back in while riding after a while it just becomes routine like switching from the hoods to the drops on a road bike. Just takes a little practice.
Originally Posted by GoVegan View Post
Yeah, it's really not bad at all, and becomes second nature pretty quickly. You'll just want to do a quick test of the pedals at the beginning of every ride to make sure you can clip into and out of both before getting going. I give mine a light cleaning and oiling every few months.

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement. I am back off the ledge. Since I also plan on using a trainer quite a bit, I think I will be able to practice enough to get used to them. In the meantime, I have a short very lightly used 2 mile path near me with grass on both sides that I plan on hitting. And thanks bcd for the reminder to practice the switch of hands. Frankly, I would not have thought about that. Appreciate it.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.