Reload this Page >

Random Bicycle Thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

Random Bicycle Thread

Old 05-28-21, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 260 Likes on 149 Posts
Re: Random Bicycle Thread

I put 34mm tires on mine after the first week. They feel just a bit smoother and faster.
Old 05-28-21, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Canyon makes some very nice bikes and are very popular for a DTC bike.
For my fit I prefer something with a shorter seat tube and slopping TT.
Good deals on tires are so hard to come by these days. I have some Panaracer GravelKing slicks,semi-slicks and knobs I'm going to try out.
And for the road Continental GP 5000 size 30 or 32? Not sure if I'll go tubeless.

Might be some good deals this weekend on tires and parts.
Old 05-30-21, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are some Continental GP 5000 32s on Ebay for $49 right now. I put the 34s on my bike.
The following users liked this post:
bcd (05-31-21)
Old 06-22-21, 10:17 AM
bcd

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
There are some Continental GP 5000 32s on Ebay for $49 right now. I put the 34s on my bike.
How was the clearance with the 34's on your Canyon?
Old 06-22-21, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have about 3/8" on all sides. I couldn't go any larger than 34s.
Old 06-22-21, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
Do they make a size 34? I have a specialized allez elite that came with 700x28. While not an endurance bike, It should take 700x30. Myabe even 32, but I doubt it.

I put some 700x40 tires on my Triban . They fit, but not much room so I'm going to see what is available in 700x36 for some 60/40 riding. Also, it is a nice riding bike, I like it better than my old Carbon gravel bike.

I found an old GT mountain bike(pre 2000) at the 2nd hand store for $62 that needs lots of work for my son, as it is too small for me.Hope the shifters just need some oil to work.

Was not planing on buying another bike so soon.
But Amazon had a Diamondback haanjo 5 in my size at a reduced price as the box is damaged.
Find out in about 10 days what I'm getting. Last time I bought a Raleigh Tamland the same way. It came with a bent rear derailleur and frame dropout was also bent, but not very bad and easy to fix as it was a steel frame. Amazon said I could send it back or they took off another $300 if I wanted to keep the bike and have it fixed. I took the latter.

Maybe a deal,have to wait and see. I should have been dring back to California last night, but I decided to wait another day and change my coolant and some minor things on my Dodge.
Old 06-22-21, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I made a boo boo. I replaced the 28mm tires with 32mm. I doubt any 34s would fit on my bike.
Old 06-22-21, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,232 Likes on 883 Posts

I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like.
It's got a basket, a bell that rings
And things to make it look good.
I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.

(Sorry, just had to get that out of my system.)
Cusm (08-17-21)
Old 07-09-21, 07:32 PM

Received 155 Likes on 107 Posts

Need some guidance.

Just got back from a knee scope and am considering taking up biking. I primarily trail run, hike, and much less frequently climb. These contributed to my knee issue. In fact, I don't expect it long before I need something done to my other knee as well. Hence the thought of biking.

However, I have reservations and concerns regarding biking, including: whether I will enjoy it, trepidation of biking on roads, and most importantly the thought of biking around civilisation, which is why I trail run, so as to avoid people and machines. I do not have interest in mountain biking, for whatever reason.

So my bright idea is to get an indoor smart trainer and use it while I rehab, get a feeling of my enjoyment, and gain some basic proficiency.

With that all in mind, what type of bike should I get? Do I get trainer specific bike and then buy road ready bike if I want to continue? Or do I get a road/endurance bike now, knowing I can use it with the trainer now but also take out on the road later? If that is the case, what investment level should I look for? Are these approaches valid?

TLDR: what type of bike should a newb get for a trainer, with potential use on roads later?
The Bus (07-26-21)
Old 07-10-21, 06:02 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Sometimes you need a ride to go down to the liquor store and grab some beer.
Old 07-12-21, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Need some guidance.
I would find a good local bike shop and talk to them about what you posted and see what they have and test ride a few different types of bikes.
To get a general idea of what type of bike might suit you best.
The new and used market for bikes right now is kind of slim pickings.
And with a bad knee, I think it is even more important that you get a good fit on your bicycle, and bicycling should be easier on your knees.
But if your not sure if you will like biking. there are simple bike fit sites you can go to and put in your height etc. and it a general idea of what size you need
and buy something used but not too old.

Gravel bikes are pretty popular now. I use to ride mostly road but I'm switching to mostly off-road riding or bike paths these days.
Gravel, mountain, Urban and hybrid are all good choices for riding dirt and pavement.

+++

Old 07-13-21, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by JoeySeven View Post
I would find a good local bike shop and talk to them about what you posted and see what they have and test ride a few different types of bikes.
To get a general idea of what type of bike might suit you best.
The new and used market for bikes right now is kind of slim pickings.
And with a bad knee, I think it is even more important that you get a good fit on your bicycle, and bicycling should be easier on your knees.
But if your not sure if you will like biking. there are simple bike fit sites you can go to and put in your height etc. and it a general idea of what size you need
and buy something used but not too old.

Gravel bikes are pretty popular now. I use to ride mostly road but I'm switching to mostly off-road riding or bike paths these days.
Gravel, mountain, Urban and hybrid are all good choices for riding dirt and pavement.

+++

Thanks for the reply and tips. I think going to a local shop makes the most sense, especially given your note of how important fit will be in my case. The only issue I have is sometimes stores having limited selection. I will not waste a salesperson's time and then buy online. But, with the critical shortage right now in bikes, that may not be an issue anywhere.

I did briefly talk with a friend who is quite into biking and think I settled on getting something for the trainer and road/gravel/endurance, rather than solely for the trainer. Since I have no idea how I will do or take to it, thinking aluminum, carbon fork, Shimano 105, and?
Old 07-23-21, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 612 Likes on 437 Posts

I woudn't use this on it's own (add an alarm) but it's an interesting idea:

ET-one system turns a pedal into a bike lock

https://newatlas.com/bicycles/et-one...-bicycle-lock/
Old 07-26-21, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a friend of mine build me a single-speed bike years ago out of a Bianchi M.U.S.S. mountain bike with drop-bars. I added Continental Armadillos as I got flats too often.

This summer I bought a Swoop XPP to haul stuff and children:

Stung the wallet but it's been an absolute blast.
BDB (11-05-21)
Old 07-26-21, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was getting a lot of flats until I began using Mr. Tuffy tire liners a year and a half ago. I haven't had a puncture since.
Old 07-27-21, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I need a hitch and a bike rack. I'll get an EcoHitch for my Mini and I'm leaning towards this rack. Anyone uses it?

Old 08-13-21, 03:30 PM
bcd

I was able to fit some 34mm WTB-Byway tires on my bike. There is room to spare, but don't think that I need to go any bigger. We do some group gravel rides in Boulder at night and they should be plenty. Filled to 60psi they feel like the roll just as well as my road tires once I get up to speed.

Also picked up these for the night rides. The other lights I got just weren't getting the job done.

Last edited by bcd; 08-13-21 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-14-21, 01:13 PM

Given the recent month long Shimano Malaysia closure, bikes are non-existent. I has narrowed down my search to either the Canyon, likely bcd's choice, or the Cannondale. I don't think I need the 105 groupset. However, no idea when I can get either. One option presented itself, a Fuji Sportif. I am leery though. Anybody have any input? The 1.1 is priced near the Tiagra models of Canyon and Cannondale, but with 105 groupset. It's heavier. Thoughts?
Old 08-14-21, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 561 Likes on 358 Posts

Personally, I replaced my lighter, faster gravel bike (which I had road wheels and tires on) with a more upright and slow but far more comfortable touring style bike, one of the new Surly Disc Truckers. I don't love the 3x9 gearing and miss my old 105 groupset a little, but otherwise I am much happier riding it. I am more about riding long distances than riding super fast and it also gives me the option of more loaded bike travel should I choose to do so down the road.

Swapped out the factory wheels and tires for my custom wheels and Schwalbe Marathons. I used to run Gravel King slicks before and strongly prefer the Marathons, even if they are a little heavier.
Old 08-17-21, 07:57 AM
bcd

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Given the recent month long Shimano Malaysia closure, bikes are non-existent. I has narrowed down my search to either the Canyon, likely bcd's choice, or the Cannondale. I don't think I need the 105 groupset. However, no idea when I can get either. One option presented itself, a Fuji Sportif. I am leery though. Anybody have any input? The 1.1 is priced near the Tiagra models of Canyon and Cannondale, but with 105 groupset. It's heavier. Thoughts?
I went with the Canyon Endurace, since it is very capable on the road, and with some bigger tires great on the gravel as well. I tend to do long rides (60 miles or more) and I wanted something with a better more relaxed geometry than a road bike. As for the groupset question, I came from a 3X7 thumb shifting groupset on a trek FX1. I love the tiagra and was my first 2X setup in years. The bike is perfect for me right now, and if I ever feel like it I can upgrade to 105 when the current groupset breaks/wears out.
Pharoh (08-17-21)
Old 08-17-21, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by bcd View Post
I went with the Canyon Endurace, since it is very capable on the road, and with some bigger tires great on the gravel as well. I tend to do long rides (60 miles or more) and I wanted something with a better more relaxed geometry than a road bike. As for the groupset question, I came from a 3X7 thumb shifting groupset on a trek FX1. I love the tiagra and was my first 2X setup in years. The bike is perfect for me right now, and if I ever feel like it I can upgrade to 105 when the current groupset breaks/wears out.
Thanks for the input. The only issue now is finding one.

So while thile the Tiagra is perfect and likely more than I'll need, others may become available sooner. Going to try to wait though.
Old 08-17-21, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

FYI, I would advise anyone older who has health/physical issues (like knee problems) to at least rent/try an eBike. You'll get pedal assist when you want it/need it and you'll ride for much longer (like 300% longer on average). Now if your time is limited and you want max workout in a short period of time, then by all means get a road bike.

I have a road bike, I could still ride it normally, I haven't touched it since I bought an eBike. More fun, more exercise, more everything.
Old 08-17-21, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Thanks for the input. The only issue now is finding one.
I ordered mine from https://www.canyon.com/en-us/outlet-...dcdae76d38c4a0
I received it in two days. They have XL and 2XL in stock now.
Old 08-18-21, 09:20 AM
bcd

I have to say that I am super surprised that the WTB BYWAY 34mm tires are still great on road. I just did my commute into work and they are just as fast, if not faster than my 28mm road tires. I do keep them at the high end psi of 60 for the ride in, and will drop that down to 40ish for gravel riding, but I thought that id have to worry about changing tires all the time since I don't have a second set of rims but I am happy keeping these on! I would highly recommend these!

Old 08-24-21, 05:39 PM

I was able to find a Cannondale Synapse and ordered it yesterday. Still waiting on ETA so will see if I actually get it. There aren't road bikes anywhere right now. The Canyon model supposedly due in the Fall, but I don't want to wait too long.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.