Reload this Page >

Why do people hate on Arby's?*

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 09-08-20, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

I remember back when Jon Stewart hosted The Daily Show that he would regularly make jokes about Arby's being awful. I figured this was like the Norm MacDonald and Frank Stallone thing, where Norm was just being absurd and the regularity of the joke was a meta joke. And Arby's went along as a way of saying, "We can take a joke." And they were happy to get mentions on a show with so much cultural currency.

Since and still, I notice that jokes about Arby's being gross are kind of a go-to.

I posted a positive mention of Arby's on Facebook back before the pandemic, and my own FB friends (who obviously know me) chimed in with disgust.

So, what's the deal? Do people really hate Arby's? And if so, why? Maybe it's my simple Midwestern roots, but I LOVE Arby's!

*This thread brought to you by the fact that I just saw Seth Meyers make an Arby's joke.
Old 09-08-20, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
Re: Why do people hate on Arby's?*

I don't know why it gets the hate. I haven't had it in a long time but I'll just get a roast beef and cheese combo. I love their curly fries and honey mustard.
Old 09-08-20, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 129 Likes on 102 Posts

I never got it either, but here are some more instances.

https://youtu.be/vPciEL8WTT4?t=153
Old 09-08-20, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 125 Likes on 99 Posts

I really like their Reuben.
Old 09-08-20, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 342 Likes on 264 Posts

I think the local Arby's is being replaced, but I remember going there a couple of years ago and just being astonished by how expensive things are (other than their deals).
Old 09-08-20, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't get it. Nothing wrong with a delicious Arby's sandwich and some jalapeno poppers. Their bronco berry sauce, horsey sauce. and honey mustard are the best fast food sauces imo.
Old 09-08-20, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

No joke, I've ate at Arby's twice in the last 15 years and both times I woke up in the middle of the night puking.

That being said, I don't know of anyone else getting sick from their food.
Old 09-08-20, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 129 Likes on 102 Posts

The cheddar sauce used to make my dad ill, it was just too rich or something for him. I've had a similar issue at Moe's, their queso makes me puke without fail.
Old 09-08-20, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

About 20 years ago I worked with a guy that also worked at Arby’s. He told me to never ever eat there. Something about how the “meat” arrived or was prepared. This was back in the five for five days.
Maybe it’s better now, but I’ll just stay safe.
Old 09-08-20, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 259 Likes on 189 Posts

Their “Beef and Cheddar” sandwiches are kind of nasty but I ate a Turkey Swiss Deluxe sandwich not too long ago and it was pretty good.

I also like their curly fries, the craving for which usually brings me back to eat their food.
Old 09-08-20, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post
About 20 years ago I worked with a guy that also worked at Arby’s. He told me to never ever eat there. Something about how the “meat” arrived or was prepared. This was back in the five for five days.
This is probably true of every fast food place, at least the ones where you feel like the "deal" food is way too cheap.
Old 09-08-20, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post
I think most employees say that though, don't they? Had a friend get Arby's and gave me a RB sandwich. It was really good. I think it depends on the location.

Also, these sandwiches are NOT cheap anymore. Anyone see the prices?
Old 09-08-20, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
I think most employees say that though, don't they? Had a friend get Arby's and gave me a RB sandwich. It was really good. I think it depends on the location.

Also, these sandwiches are NOT cheap anymore. Anyone see the prices?
Well, they are much cheaper when they have a deal (2 for 5 or whatever, though it used to be even cheaper). But yeah normal prices around here are insane. I mentioned the same thing about Carls Jr. a while back too, it just amazed me how much "normal" prices were on combos.
Old 09-08-20, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 146 Likes on 110 Posts

The price of beef has only gone up over the years. When I was in college in the 90s we lived on their 5 for $5 deals.

But even now we still get it fairly frequently, and my kid has taken a love to it. He loves the curly fries and I love potato cakes. It's not haute cuisine, but it fills a niche that nobody else really has.

I do wish they'd take the why out of their au jus for the french dip, because I love the sandwich but the whey messes with my sinuses.
Old 09-08-20, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Because Arby's is gross?

I do love their Horsey Sauce but that is about it.
Old 09-08-20, 11:35 AM
Suspended

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 160 Likes on 120 Posts

I blame Downton Abbey.
Old 09-08-20, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 214 Likes on 157 Posts

Arby's is great but their prices are gross.

Chicken Cordon Bleu or Buffalo Chicken are my go-tos. The curly fries are great as well as the jalapeno poppers with the Bronco Berry sauce.

I will say, I've never seen a turnover that looked tasty. Those things are piled high every time I go and they look like they've been under the heat lamp for weeks.
Old 09-08-20, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 206 Likes on 167 Posts

I’ve always liked Arby’s and don’t get the hate either. I used to go there more often than I do now, but occasionally I’ll crave a Beef ‘N Cheddar or a French Dip. Their food always seems fine enough when I go there. I do agree about them being pricey for fast food though.
Old 09-08-20, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I feel like the majority of fast food places get hated on. Every single time I see any discussion about Taco Bell on the internet it is people talking about running to the bathroom after. I eat Taco Bell a couple times a week and I don't know what kind of weak stomachs these people have but it doesn't affect me any different than any other "mexican" food.
Old 09-08-20, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

The cost is pretty high, and the roast beef has an odd texture. I love Arby's though. Beef and cheddars, the philly beef and swiss they used to have, curly fries, Arby's sauce. That's some good stuff. I eat there a couple times a year since they aren't as prevalent as most other fast food places.
Old 09-08-20, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 160 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post

Chicken Cordon Bleu or Buffalo Chicken are my go-tos.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of roast beef sandwiches in general, but their chicken sandwiches are pretty good, and I love their curly fries.

IMO they are no better or worse than the majority of fast food places. I've never understood fast food elitism, it's all crap when it comes down to it.
Old 09-08-20, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Yeah, I'm not a fan of roast beef sandwiches in general, but their chicken sandwiches are pretty good, and I love their curly fries.

IMO they are no better or worse than the majority of fast food places. I've never understood fast food elitism, it's all crap when it comes down to it.
Is it fast food elitism, though? I doubt people who are dunking on Arbys are holding up Taco Bell or McDonalds as some kind of cuisine standard.
Old 09-08-20, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts

Arby's and Hardees both seem to have a target market of people who have no plans to collect on their Social Security and 401k. however, the Beef 'n Cheddar with potato cakes is dreamy.
Old 09-08-20, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
I feel like the majority of fast food places get hated on. Every single time I see any discussion about Taco Bell on the internet it is people talking about running to the bathroom after. I eat Taco Bell a couple times a week and I don't know what kind of weak stomachs these people have but it doesn't affect me any different than any other "mexican" food.
Taco Bell is my favorite fast food.
Old 09-08-20, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Man, I miss having a Big Mo' with horsey sauce for lunch. Sadly, the nearest Arby's is an 11 hour round trip drive from here.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.