Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

For those with kids, Are you cancelling Halloween and trick or treating this year?

Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: For those with kids, are you cancelling Halloween and trick or treating this year due to Covid?
Yes
22.22%
Not sure, wait and see
55.56%
No
11.11%
Don't participate in any Halloween activities even for my kids.
3.70%
Other opinion
7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

For those with kids, Are you cancelling Halloween and trick or treating this year?

Old 08-29-20, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,249 Likes on 922 Posts

So for those with kids, are you cancelling Halloween and trick or treating this year due to you know what? Or is it just an assumption that most or no one in your neighborhood will be celebrating it?
Old 08-29-20, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 91 Posts
Re: For those with kids, Are you cancelling Halloween and trick or treating this year?

Right now, for us anyway, it's a wait and see thing. Honestly, we don't see any Halloween events taking place, but we hold out hope because our daughter is ten and doesn't have many trick or treat nights left. I don't think she would be upset ( she's ten going on thirty) but my wife and I want her to stay a kid as long as possible.
Old 08-29-20, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 280 Posts
Re: For those with kids, Are you cancelling Halloween and trick or treating this year?

Man, I never thought about Halloween. My youngest is 11 and we assumed that her trick or treating days were coming to an end, but one more year of it would have been nice. Now I have no idea what Halloween will look like this year.
Old 08-29-20, 04:49 PM

Received 583 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Man, I never thought about Halloween.
Really? In my line of work, I had to know what we're doing for Halloween (see below) by May and Christmas by August (prerecorded premiere followed by on-demand worship, BTW).

See if someone in your city is doing a Trunk-or-Treat on or near Halloween.

I have experience running an event commonly known as Trunk-or-Treat, in which members of the church and/or local business community come together in a parking lot or small town downtown street, line up the cars, pop the trunks, decorate them, and give out treats to kids who walk through. People decorate their car trunks, hence, "trunk" or treat. It's a fun fall festival and we typically have at least 500 people come through, usually on the Sunday afternoon closest to Halloween so it's a safe bonus trick-or-treating opportunity. While the place I'm at now has done this indoors the last two years (they used to be outdoors and tried switching it up), this year we're doing it outdoors as a drive-thru experience. We will have cars lined up on either side of the parking lot, trunks decorated, and families can drive through at 5mph and kids can get treats through the windows. We're going to use grabbing sticks, maybe even toss a few items in, that sort of thing.

It will be bizarre, it will be unique, it will be fun. After having done it outdoors a certain way, indoors a certain way, plus a hybrid event, I'm excited to try a new way. I guarantee you, you have a church, a community nonprofit, or a chamber of commerce who will be holding one of these kind of events in your city. If they truly aren't, and you want to organize it, PM me and I can give you some of the details I've used to organize these the last five years.

Someone tossed around the idea of kids sitting on lawn chairs in their costumes along the boulevard and having adults from the neighborhood drive slowly down the street tossing out candy, like a parade. I really like this idea. My neighbor a few houses down is our neighborhood association president and I'm going to ask him about if we think we can organize this safely.

Last edited by story; 08-29-20 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-29-20, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 175 Likes on 98 Posts

We're not sure what we're going to do yet, but we'll likely still hand out candy and let our masked children hit the neighborhood (with clear instructions to avoid houses with lights off).

We always directly hand the candy to children who come to our door, rather than allow them to paw through the bowl with their snotty hands. We'll also tell our kids to treat the candy wrappers as contaminated and let it sit for a while before opening to avoid any covid-snot contamination.

Trick or treating is an outdoor activity -- it really doesn't seem any more dangerous than getting take out or shopping for groceries.

Old 08-29-20, 06:40 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

In my neighborhood itís all about going to these two particular streets that attract a huge crowd. If that still happens Iím not going.

In fact if that shit goes down this year the cops may have to shut it down. It draws people from miles away.

But if it were like the neighborhood I grew up in and you just walked around with your dad and maybe only every third house had a light on and you maybe saw a dozen other kids the whole time, Iíd probably do that.
Old 08-29-20, 06:45 PM
Premium Member

Received 446 Likes on 352 Posts

More than likely, yes. Even with distancing, there’s still a lot of hands in the pot, so to speak. There will be plenty in the future, so we can skip one. I never was big on Halloween anyways, and our kids know why we won’t.
Old 08-29-20, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm 36 and I'm still disappointed about this year's Halloween

Christmas use to be my favorite holiday, but as I get older, Halloween is becoming my favorite. I enjoy being creative and making my own costumes.

My workplace (1000 employees) usually does a Halloween skit competition amongst divisions every year. But of course, thatís not happening since everyone is teleworking. But the CEO did say they are planning something, especially since Halloween is his favorite holiday.

And I'll miss Halloween festivities with my friends as well, especially since it's on a Saturday.

Last edited by MLBFan24; 09-10-20 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-29-20, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,167 Likes on 1,391 Posts

My neighborhood goes ALL OUT for Halloween. Seriously it's insane.
Spoiler:

Plus Taco Trucks with Mariachi bands, Ben & Jerry's ice cream trucks, Shave Ice trucks. I'm pathetic by comparison with just hundreds of full-sized candy bars.

It's a huge deal for this community. Like "Every house has a strict limit of 50 guests that have to be submitted to the guards over a week in advance" kind of deal. I just can't imagine that we will be doing anything this year, because the neighborhood couldn't safely tolerate the influx of people and doubt they could do any small scale thing instead.

I voted "Wait & See" because I couldn't Not Do Anything if it's going on. But if anything, I would probably just put out full sized candy bars outside my door 25-50 at a time. No way I want hundreds of kids ringing my doorbell this year.
Old 08-29-20, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 188 Posts

Getting rid of daylight savings time would help the kids for Halloween and be safer since you have to wait longer before it gets dark to go trick or treating.
Old 08-29-20, 08:34 PM

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

It's not even September. They start the Halloween threads earlier and earlier each year .
Old 08-29-20, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,167 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom Jr View Post
It's not even September. They start the Halloween threads earlier and earlier each year .
I was looking at Costco today to see what Halloween stuff they had out. They had some, but not nearly as much as one would usually expect two months before the date.
Old 08-29-20, 10:47 PM
Premium Member

Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
Getting rid of daylight savings time would help the kids for Halloween and be safer since you have to wait longer before it gets dark to go trick or treating.
Why would earlier be safer? If anything it would be worse because of more cars on the road coming home from work.

And around here it's not quite dark when it starts anyway.
Old 08-30-20, 10:23 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 345 Likes on 306 Posts

i don't know why anyone in their right mind would go trick or treating this year. multitudes of candy touched by multitudes of people. no. simply no.
Old 08-30-20, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 91 Posts

Looking a little further down the road, It's highly doubtful there will be any department store or mall Santa pictures this year. Also, I doubt there will be a Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. The Halloween and holiday season will definitely have a different look and feel to it this year.
Old 08-30-20, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

I voted Wait and See.

We live in a rural area of town, and there's a neighborhood that we take Dana to each year that goes all out for Halloween each year (not like Decker's tho). She will be 13 at Halloween,and we assumed this would probably be her last year, so if the neighborhood is participating, we will.
Old 08-30-20, 11:37 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 345 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
Looking a little further down the road, It's highly doubtful there will be any department store or mall Santa pictures this year. Also, I doubt there will be a Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. The Halloween and holiday season will definitely have a different look and feel to it this year.
Mayor of NYC Bill de Blasio already said most of the Thanksgiving Day parade as we knew it is gone. he hasn't exactly said what will take place, but basically, i think, some virtual stuff, maybe some car floats with limited number of people, but i don't think any balloons will be going up at all...
Old 08-30-20, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 487 Likes on 314 Posts

My kids are too old for trick or treating. I plan on building some kind of DIY contraption that dispenses candy. No answering the door all night for us or interacting with random kids.

Our neighborhood has fewer and fewer trick or treaters every year anyway. Weíve been here for 14 years - all the neighborhood kids have just aged out of it.

Old 08-30-20, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

Why would Halloween be cancelled if everyone is wearing masks.
Old 08-30-20, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 200 Likes on 150 Posts

So I live in an area where the local government sets recommended guidelines for things like Trick or Treating (typically setting hours during a normal year). There do not have the force of law or anything but most people follow them. I will be curious to see what they communicate for this year. Obviously, if the government recommend against T&T altogether, hardly anyone will do it and it will be a moot point.

Assuming it does go on, I had envisioned setting up a clothesline kind of thing near our front door with individual ziploc bags of candy in them pinned to the line and a sign inviting visitors to take one. Either way, there is no way in hell we will be answering the door and handing out candy the old fashioned way, masks or not. We would also take our daughter out and look for nearby homes where similar precautions are being taken (no face-to-face contact). And while we do not have any sort of formal neighborhood association, it wouldn't surprise me if someone doesn't try and organize something this year wherein basic precautions are agreed upon and each parent can take their kids out and walk to a pre-determined list of addresses.

Either way, not knocking on doors and yelling "TRICK OR TREAT!" will really put a damper on the holiday so I am kind of hoping the government just calls it off altogether this year. My daughter is young enough (only three) that I don't think her childhood will be inexorably scarred by missing a year. I doubt she even has more than the foggiest memories of the 4-5 houses my wife walked her to last year.
Old 08-30-20, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
Why would earlier be safer? If anything it would be worse because of more cars on the road coming home from work.

And around here it's not quite dark when it starts anyway.

Yiou have to wait until after 7pm when it gets dark when standard time you could do it around 5:30pm-6pm.
Old 08-30-20, 08:47 PM
Premium Member

Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts

That doesn't answer the question.
Old 08-30-20, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 847 Likes on 669 Posts

I thought about this the other day but also thought people would complain about a Halloween thread too early (even jokingly).

I don't think we'll have our kids go out, at least as of right now. Also conflicted about what to do about giving out candy.
Old 08-30-20, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 481 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I was looking at Costco today to see what Halloween stuff they had out. They had some, but not nearly as much as one would usually expect two months before the date.
The spirit Halloween stores are already starting to open by me
Old 08-30-20, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 487 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Why would Halloween be cancelled if everyone is wearing masks.
Does every costume have a mask?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.