Reload this Page >

IT Peeps and Coders Unite! - The Official IT Workers Thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 08-28-20, 08:23 PM
Premium Member

Received 412 Likes on 324 Posts

Been coding since 2013. Now a Full Stack Dev at a software company in town. Been coding in Angular, AWS, and a few other frameworks in the past 6 months.

So coders, let's talk! What are you into? What do you hate? Anyone have any issues they want to vent about? Let's chat and talk code and whatnot.
Old 08-28-20, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: IT Peeps and Coders Unite! - The Official IT Workers Thread

Servers are dead. Mainframes forever.
Old 08-28-20, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 614 Likes on 409 Posts

Oh, hey! I'm full stack too. PHP, MySQL, jQuery, yadda yadda. Nothing super-sexy or bleeding edge. My twentieth anniversary (at the same company that hired me out of college!) rolls around in January.

I'd say the toughest thing I have to deal with is that, over time, I've been handed so many other responsibilities that I don't get to code nearly as much as I would like.
Old 08-28-20, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 446 Likes on 326 Posts

Fail.

I saws "It Peeps" and was expecting a killer clown made from sugar covered marshmallows.
Old 08-28-20, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 233 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by E. Honda View Post
Servers are dead. Mainframes forever.
Coding since '89 including some of that^ (MVS). Yecch. Such a different world.

Mostly C, some C++ and Java, as well as various scripting languages.

Not coding as much, lately. Kind of miss it, kind of don't.

I got to debug a camera driver for the astrophotography software I use, not too long ago. That was actually fun and a great payoff when it was fixed, as it was a huge aggravation when the bug would screw up my astro session.
Old 08-28-20, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 421 Likes on 334 Posts

I used to code, now I do security-ish stuff. So hurray buffer overflows, non-encoded characters, poorly implemented forms, and uh, netcat I guess.
Old 08-29-20, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Was doing some C# .NET for a while for a large utility but have wound up in the Desktop Engineering space. Microsoft keeps us busy with all their patching hijinks.
Old 08-31-20, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Sysadmin here. I only write scripts anymore and that seldom enough, I've got the dev-next-door to do real coding.
Old 08-31-20, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 360 Likes on 233 Posts

Lately my life has turned into PowersHELL.
Old 08-31-20, 02:45 PM
Admin

Received 298 Likes on 192 Posts

Network Admin. It's an IT dept of 3, so I wear a lot of hats. It keeps it interesting though.
Old 08-31-20, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 287 Likes on 153 Posts

I thought I wanted to code when I went to college. Doing it for 4 years convinced me that I didn't really want to do it. I took a job out of college in IT with one of the local automakers where i had the option to code or pursue a more system admin type role, I chose the latter and have zero regrets. I actually really enjoy supporting production. Worked in corporate for 20 years, but was pushed into more of a team leader role, which I didn't enjoy. Took a job at one of the plants in March and really like it so far.

I would also still be working from home if I stayed at corporate, which I also don't enjoy.
Old 08-31-20, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

I have a software dev. background. The programming I do is mostly C or C++. I also develop scripts in a language called CECIL (no relation to the OOP language of the same name). It is a spacecraft ground system scripting language, somewhat similar to BASIC.
Old 08-31-20, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 188 Likes on 127 Posts

I used to be part of a one-stop IT shop for the Canadian part of our firm.
Managed desktops loadset builds, SCCM deployments, packaging, scripting, hardware evaluations, etc.

The company globalized our IT department over 10 years ago - so my duties are more narrow/specific and I'm managing 300k users.

Now I'm just managing desktops via GPO, Azure/Intune/OCPS and scripting with VBS and Powershell, No real programming/developing.

As I whined in the "Getting Old Sucks" thread, after 27+ years in IT - I'm sick to fuck of it and am just doing it 100% for the paycheck and nothing else.
Old 08-31-20, 09:35 PM
Premium Member

Wow Coral, I went into it for the exact opposite. Been doing it for the creative fun of it. My previous career was in finance, and that was solely for the paycheck, which I hated.
Old 08-31-20, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 188 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Wow Coral, I went into it for the exact opposite. Been doing it for the creative fun of it. My previous career was in finance, and that was solely for the paycheck, which I hated.
Well I geared my courses in highschool and college for the business field, while I enjoyed working on computers as a hobby since the early 80's.
Decided business was boring and then went to school for IT in the hopes of landing a co-op job to get my foot in the door - worked in IT since then.

I actually loved working in IT and loved everything about computers. I was passionate about it and was excited during the different eras of the computer industry. I ate this shit up.
I started losing interest about 10 years ago, and got sick of it the last 5 years... that's after 38 years using computers and 27 years working in IT.
Old 08-31-20, 10:06 PM
Premium Member

That is a good run. I’m hoping to be in it for another 10 years or so, then retire - provided anyone has a 401k left. Thankfully I’ve invested elsewhere.
Old 09-01-20, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 360 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Managed desktops loadset builds, SCCM deployments, packaging, scripting, hardware evaluations, etc.
This is basically my line of work. We have a team of about 10 and do all the packaging for 350k+ endpoints and we juggle SCCM, Intune, VDI and who knows what's around the corner.. We used to do hardware evaluations but the team isn't really big enough to do that anymore with the workload we have so we are no longer involved. Builds is another team. I've always found it interesting and occasionally challenging work and still do after 21 years there. Before that I was a programmer and Unix (Solaris) system administrator for the Military which I didn't enjoy nearly as much.
The following 2 users liked this post by General Zod:
E Unit (09-01-20), Obi-Wanma (09-01-20)
Old 09-01-20, 09:59 AM
Admin

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
I used to be part of a one-stop IT shop for the Canadian part of our firm.

The company globalized our IT department over 10 years ago - so my duties are more narrow/specific and I'm managing 300k users.

Now I'm just managing desktops via GPO, Azure/Intune/OCPS and scripting with VBS and Powershell, No real programming/developing.

As I whined in the "Getting Old Sucks" thread, after 27+ years in IT - I'm sick to fuck of it and am just doing it 100% for the paycheck and nothing else.
I was pretty burnt out at my last job because I was pigeon holed into a very narrow role and I had been there for 12+ years. Now that I'm involved in a lot more range of work, I enjoy the work more. I also like working for a smaller company. Everyone in every dept has to wear more hats and it gets less like just turning a crank for 8 hours and logging off. You have to use your brain more and that keeps me from getting too stale and burnt out.
Old 09-01-20, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm a Systems Engineer but have pretty much touched everything. Recently learned Microsoft Azure in full.

While I'm very proud of being self taught and making a damn good career out of it, I find myself getting very sick and tired of it. I believe I had a conversation with Coral about this in the getting old thread.

I also hate the new "Agile" method most corporations are adopting - it's super annoying and unnecessary and needs to stop. As an infrastructure guy, it makes it even worse as we have no need for it.
Old 09-01-20, 10:49 AM
Admin

Originally Posted by Rival11 View Post
I'm a Systems Engineer but have pretty much touched everything. Recently learned Microsoft Azure in full.

While I'm very proud of being self taught and making a damn good career out of it, I find myself getting very sick and tired of it. I believe I had a conversation with Coral about this in the getting old thread.

I also hate the new "Agile" method most corporations are adopting - it's super annoying and unnecessary and needs to stop. As an infrastructure guy, it makes it even worse as we have no need for it.
The projects at my place are so scattershot. I wish there was some more structure to it. You start working on something and then you wind up dropping it and working on something else. It's a lot of just putting out fires.
Old 09-01-20, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
The projects at my place are so scattershot. I wish there was some more structure to it. You start working on something and then you wind up dropping it and working on something else. It's a lot of just putting out fires.
Understood but method like Agile are definitely still not needed. Seems like your Company may just have never had a streamlined way of doing things.
Old 09-01-20, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Spent 16 years at IBM porting Lotus apps to the AS/400 Got laid off a couple years ago, and have been struggling to start my own consulting biz. Right now I just started a full stack bootcamp class in hopes that might open a few doors for me.
Old 09-01-20, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

been IT for a managed service provider for almost 22 years now
i manage a couple teams, but still get a chance to flex my technical muscles
Old 09-04-20, 12:13 PM

Received 155 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I was pretty burnt out at my last job because I was pigeon holed into a very narrow role and I had been there for 12+ years. Now that I'm involved in a lot more range of work, I enjoy the work more. I also like working for a smaller company. Everyone in every dept has to wear more hats and it gets less like just turning a crank for 8 hours and logging off. You have to use your brain more and that keeps me from getting too stale and burnt out.
Yes, but the company you work for now doesn't send you to Ohio where I can buy you beers.

Old 09-04-20, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 408 Likes on 289 Posts

Speaking of Ohio, I worked for RBW Park Ohio as a senior programmer for a number of years before I retired. Went to Cleveland a bunch of times. I was basically support for their ERP system because I used to work for the company that developed it. That company went kaput so a lot of us programmers who worked there got calls from former clients needing support. VAX/VMS and programming in... gasp... dibol. I don't miss coding at all, never been a fan of development. But I was a master bug fixer. There was just something about the thrill of the hunt, the finding and fixing. Never been the best coder, but if there was a bug nobody else seemed to be able to find/fix, they'd call me. I think I would have made an excellent detective.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.