Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Going on a job interview or meeting someone new, do people shake hands still? (amidst Covid)

Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: What do you do when going on an interview or meeting someone new in terms of greeting?
Shake hands.
3.85%
Fist bump.
0%
Elbow bump.
15.38%
Nothing. Just introduce and say hi.
69.23%
Other (please specify...)
11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Going on a job interview or meeting someone new, do people shake hands still? (amidst Covid)

Old 08-23-20, 12:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 450 Likes on 400 Posts

so a friend of mine is going on an interview next week and asked me if i knew what the protocol was given the circumstances of our time right now. i said, i really have no idea.

when i've met some people out and about that i knew from a time ago, we've done the elbow thing or the fist bump, but i assume that wouldn't be appropriate when meeting someone new or going on a job interview these days.

i met someone new yesterday around my block who wanted to introduce herself bc i had written a really good essay to the community who I am doing this mail-in ballot thing i discussed in another thread. we had masks on and all that, but she immediately went to shake my hand. i didn't hesitate and shook back so as not to be rude or anything, but was a little weirded out bc i have literally not shaken someone's hand in some time.

so, i was wondering, for anyone who has met someone new lately or especially if you have recently gone on a job interview, what do you do?

Last edited by OldBoy; 08-23-20 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-23-20, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,208 Posts
Re: Going on a job interview or meeting someone new, do people shake hands still? (amidst Covid)

If it's a job interview, it's probably going to be done via Zoom or Video conference. Unless it's a service industry job.

So no handshakes etc.
Old 08-23-20, 12:55 PM

Re: Going on a job interview or meeting someone new, do people shake hands still? (amidst Covid)

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
If it's a job interview, it's probably going to be done via Zoom or Video conference. Unless it's a service industry job.
no, it's in person, at a hospital, in a lab or something.
Old 08-23-20, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
i met someone new yesterday around my block who wanted to introduce herself bc i had written a really good essay to the community who I am doing this mail-in ballot thing i discussed in another thread.
Old 08-23-20, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by William Fuld View Post
very insightful.
Old 08-23-20, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts

Wait for the interviewer to make the gesture (or not). Basic non-verbal communication skills. If he's interviewing as a lab tech in a hospital, no communication or human interaction skills required.
Old 08-23-20, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 397 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Wait for the interviewer to make the gesture (or not). Basic non-verbal communication skills. If he's interviewing as a lab tech in a hospital, no communication or human interaction skills required.
What??? Am I understanding you to say lab technicians and technologists don't require the above?

Depending if it's as a lab technician, or a lab technologist, different levels of both the above are absolutely required. Technicians are interacting with patients, frequently. Technologists still have to work with each other, as well as technicians, doctors, nurses, and occasionally with patients, as well.
Old 08-23-20, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

we had masks on and all that, but she immediately went to shake my hand. i didn't hesitate and shook back so as not to be rude or anything, but was a little weirded out bc i have literally not shaken someone's hand in some time.
Fuck that, be rude. It’s not reasonable these days for someone else to expect you to be comfortable with their level of spreading their germs around.
Old 08-23-20, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

I'm going with elbow bump because it's safer than shaking hands or fist bumping. Also, I think that it's pretty amusing, especially with older people; it's kind of like a greeting that an alien race would use in a bad '50s sci-fi movie. Actually, Magenta and Riff Raff do something similar in The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Yeah, elbow bump.
Old 08-23-20, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 179 Likes on 125 Posts

I shake hands when it is extended. JFC we are all not going to die like some would lead you to believe.
Old 08-23-20, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 351 Likes on 259 Posts

You shouldn't be doing any of that. I've had meetings, vendors, etc at my work and I just say "nice to meet you" and go from there. Why would you need to physically touch them?
The following users liked this post:
Mabuse (08-23-20)
Old 08-23-20, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 179 Likes on 125 Posts

Because I will shake their hand when extended...not sure this was a quiz. I don't immediately lick my hand afterwords if you are wondering.
Old 08-23-20, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 520 Likes on 298 Posts

Other: head bow
Old 08-23-20, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 520 Likes on 298 Posts

Not taking the extended hand may be rude, but it's much more rude to shake the hand, then frantically sanitize.
Old 08-23-20, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 907 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
JFC we are all not going to die like some would lead you to believe.
It was a stupid, pointless, unhygienic tradition before the pandemic, and it's not any more worthwhile now. I've lost track of how many times I've heard someone say that the best advice they'd ever been given about attending trade shows, conventions, festivals, etc. was to not shake anyone's hand; they used to get sick every single time they'd attended one of those things, and once they stopped shaking hands, like magic, they returned home healthy.
The following 4 users liked this post by Adam Tyner:
Josh-da-man (08-23-20), kefrank (08-24-20), story (08-23-20), VinVega (08-23-20)
Old 08-23-20, 03:32 PM
Admin

Received 342 Likes on 219 Posts

no, it's in person, at a hospital, in a lab or something.
I would make no gesture to shake hands and if the interviewer reached out, I would mention Covid-19. Given the current state of the pandemic, the interviewer should understand.
LurkerDan (08-24-20)
Old 08-23-20, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,228 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
It was a stupid, pointless, unhygienic tradition before the pandemic, and it's not any more worthwhile now.
Yes. It's a really stupid, pointless, unhygienic tradition that people attach way too much meaning to.

Shaking someone's fucking had isn't going to give you insight into their character.
Old 08-23-20, 04:08 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

Try the foot tap. If the interviewer looks at you strange run out of the room.
Old 08-23-20, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 601 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Shaking someone's fucking had isn't going to give you insight into their character.
Maybe not IF they shake hands but HOW they shake hands.
Old 08-23-20, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 467 Likes on 373 Posts

No hand shaking, no hugging, no kissing, no touching, 6 feet apart, and masked! Stay away! I don't want to see you, let's do everything virtual now (Zoom is our new master).

All emotions are banned. Welcome to our robot overlords, in this post-COVID world.

How will human relationships survive if we're all so afraid of each other? I mean, even kindness to strangers and business relationships??!!
Old 08-23-20, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 351 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Maybe not IF they shake hands but HOW they shake hands.
I've hired hundreds of people in my life and there is zero correlation to the people who gave me a strong firm handshake to how good they were as an employee compared to people who gave weak handshakes. All it means is someone at one time or another told them to shake hands that way.

The following 3 users liked this post by The Questyen:
AGuyNamedMike (08-24-20), kefrank (08-24-20), spainlinx0 (08-25-20)
Old 08-23-20, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts

Instinct still dictates a handshake but I and the other person have caught ourselves and it either turns into an elbow bump (which I voted for) or a head bow or some other non-physical acknowledgement.
LurkerDan (08-24-20)
Old 08-23-20, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 247 Likes on 147 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by Bronkster:
tanman (08-24-20), VinVega (08-24-20)
Old 08-23-20, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
What??? Am I understanding you to say lab technicians and technologists don't require the above?

Depending if it's as a lab technician, or a lab technologist, different levels of both the above are absolutely required. Technicians are interacting with patients, frequently. Technologists still have to work with each other, as well as technicians, doctors, nurses, and occasionally with patients, as well.
Sorry, it's a common joke around my work on the lab techs--some of the lab techs even admit. Has been for over 15 years. YMMV. I'm sure there are many lab techs out there, and they are very fine people who have excellent communication skills.

In any case, shaking hands won't kill you, but at the same time, I'd wait for the interviewer to make the move. Basic skills of being interviewed.

As to elbow bumping...

People need to just shake the person's hand and then go wash their hands soon after, for fuck's sake.

Elbow bumping looks kinda stupid, and from a medical standpoint...is stupid. Why? Because you're within 3 feet of the person or closer, just like a handshake. And I've seen enough elbow-bumping mistakes, where the elbows don't collide, and the two people involved...move in even closer to each other.

So, you might as well just shake the person's hand anyway, be a normal human, and then wash your hands with soap and water. It's actually better you are extending your hand out like the person who is doing the same...as it puts more distance between you and them. If anything, when you shake hands you can nod and look the other way or something and I've seen that. Perfectly fine.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 08-23-20 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-23-20, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,505 Likes on 980 Posts

Pretty much everyone I’ve come across over the last several months is completely ok with just saying “nice to meet you” and then moving on without a handshake. I’m sure an interviewer would understand. If your friend just introduced himself with no handshake.

If he’s really nervous about it he could use the old “Hold a folder/notebook in each hand” trick.

Frankly, I think the elbow bump is stupid. I haven’t done it nor have I seen anyone who’s done it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.