Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Going on a job interview or meeting someone new, do people shake hands still? (amidst Covid)

Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: What do you do when going on an interview or meeting someone new in terms of greeting?
Shake hands.
3.85%
Fist bump.
0%
Elbow bump.
15.38%
Nothing. Just introduce and say hi.
69.23%
Other (please specify...)
11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Going on a job interview or meeting someone new, do people shake hands still? (amidst Covid)

Old 08-23-20, 10:03 PM

Received 899 Likes on 521 Posts
Re: Going on a job interview or meeting someone new, do people shake hands still? (amidst Covid)

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
JFC we are all not going to die like some would lead you to believe.
And yet, there is zero reason to shake someone's hand in these times.

Zero.

Zee.

Row.
The following users liked this post:
VinVega (08-24-20)
Old 08-24-20, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,898 Posts
Re: Going on a job interview or meeting someone new, do people shake hands still? (amidst Covid)

Agreed. I make a concerted effort to make good eye contact and wave. But shaking hands is kind of insane right now and will seem weird for a long time to come. And I have had a few patients who wanted to do an elbow bump. I have accommodated them but it seems so weird that itís way more awkward than just smiling and waving.
Old 08-24-20, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 486 Likes on 349 Posts

I think some form of physical connection still means something. A handshake or a pat on the back I think cements that encounter on a subconscious level and makes us feel closer to that person. Of course now that's another thing 2020 has ruined for us. I like the vulcan salute, not only does it serve as a contactless greeting but ensures everyone, especially attractive females stay even further than 6 feet away.

And yeah I agree with DVDp and other that think the elbow bump is stupid. It brings you even closer to that person's droplets coming out of their mouths, especially if you aren't masked. I think a fist bump or even just a regular hand shake would be better. Just don't touch your face until you can wash your hands. But waving is the best.
Mabuse (08-24-20)
Old 08-24-20, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
You shouldn't be doing any of that. I've had meetings, vendors, etc at my work and I just say "nice to meet you" and go from there. Why would you need to physically touch them?
Exactly
Old 08-24-20, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 179 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by story View Post
And yet, there is zero reason to shake someone's hand in these times.

Zero.

Zee.

Row.
Well now since you say so I guess that solves it.
Old 08-24-20, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 421 Likes on 288 Posts

How about ass slapping? Is that still cool?
Old 08-24-20, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,043 Likes on 810 Posts

Another thread that will just be divided into those who think COVID is a big deal and those who don't. If the person you're interviewing with insists on shaking your hand (or sees a refusal of it as a sign of weakness or something), you can be reasonably assured which side of the divide they fall (though you can't necessarily judge how far from the middle they are) and you can decide from there if you want to work with them or not.
Old 08-24-20, 10:22 AM

Received 421 Likes on 288 Posts

If I was in need of employment and the interviewer reached to shake my hand, I’d do it. I personally feel that kind of contact in unnecessary in this environment, but a job is a job. That’s too important to risk in my opinion. This isn’t some guy giving you an estimate on your siding. Shake the hand, try not to touch your face or belongings and wash up afterwards.
Old 08-24-20, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Another thread that will just be divided into those who think COVID is a big deal and those who don't. If the person you're interviewing with insists on shaking your hand (or sees a refusal of it as a sign of weakness or something), you can be reasonably assured which side of the divide they fall (though you can't necessarily judge how far from the middle they are) and you can decide from there if you want to work with them or not.
Imo, that's ridiculous. A person wanting to shake hands is now the enemy.

Automatically labeling a person just because of a gesture is an excellent reason to not be hired and to not be involved with the public at any level.

The following 2 users liked this post by DVD Polizei:
mspmms (08-25-20), OldBoy (08-24-20)
Old 08-24-20, 11:24 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 454 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post

Automatically labeling a person just because of a gesture is an excellent reason to not be hired and to not be involved with the public at any level.
especially in a hospital or lab setting, i am sure they (the interviewer) would know better and therefore would not extend no matter what.
DVD Polizei (08-24-20)
Old 08-24-20, 11:55 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

https://images.app.goo.gl/rcmCw4TTnK16XNJ17
The following 2 users liked this post by Mabuse:
Adam Tyner (08-24-20), OldBoy (08-24-20)
Old 08-24-20, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,043 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post

I didn't say they're the enemy. I'm saying they don't think that handshakes are a problem, and this will likely (not always, maybe it was just reactionary) extend to other policies in the office. Which is fine, but if you're hesitant about a handshake to begin with you have to judge how comfortable you'd be.

Also, I'm saying if an employer is going to judge you by your lack of a handshake, that says a lot as well. If they don't care, then you're good either way. That is what we're talking about, right, an employer labeling you as less hireable because you don't want to shake hands for health reasons, and I agree, it's an excellent reason not to want to work there. Isn't that the same thing?
VinVega (08-25-20)
Old 08-24-20, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Well I've interviewed and hired many people over the years and what I'd do right now is just eliminate any weirdness by just starting off by saying "Normally I'd reach out to shake your hand but we are living in a new normal so please.. take a seat.". That way it isn't awkward at all. Except maybe the fact that we are separated by Plexiglass anyway and we are doing the interview prison-phone style.

And if they don't get the job...

Mabuse (08-24-20)
Old 08-24-20, 12:52 PM

Received 256 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Well I've interviewed and hired many people over the years and what I'd do right now is just eliminate any weirdness by just starting off by saying "Normally I'd reach out to shake your hand but we are living in a new normal so please.. take a seat.".
This is how it's been for any contractors I've met with over the past few months. We introduce ourselves, start to make an awkward arm movement as if to shake hands, then just kind of laugh about the times we're living in.
Old 08-24-20, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 138 Likes on 75 Posts

I usually just raise my hand and say "Hello, I would normally shake hands but.. I'm Chris"....and get on with it.
Old 08-24-20, 02:52 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 454 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Well I've interviewed and hired many people over the years and what I'd do right now is just eliminate any weirdness by just starting off by saying "Normally I'd reach out to shake your hand but we are living in a new normal so please.. take a seat.". That way it isn't awkward at all. Except maybe the fact that we are separated by Plexiglass anyway and we are doing the interview prison-phone style.

And if they don't get the job...

what is that from?
Old 08-24-20, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 915 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
what is that from?
Penelope.
Old 08-24-20, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

I'd shake the hand then immediately disinfect with the travel hand sanitizer I carry in my pocket. To be polite I'd offer some up.
Old 08-24-20, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 351 Likes on 259 Posts

Shaking someone's hand in 2020 is not being polite its being an idiot.
Old 08-25-20, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 473 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
Shaking someone's hand in 2020 is not being polite its being an idiot.
... at that rate, by 2021, we'll all be idiots for even having the effrontery of daring to talk to other people. The horror! The horror!! And the idiots will rule the world! The end.
Old 08-25-20, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 271 Likes on 190 Posts

Well, there's at least one in charge this very moment...
Old 08-25-20, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 473 Likes on 379 Posts

^ Agreed! Stop it before it spreads!