Mental Health and COVID-19

How is your sanity this year?
Old 08-09-20, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: Mental Health and COVID-19

Originally Posted by CyberpunkCentra View Post
How is your sanity this year?
Probably the same as everyone else's as long as I take my meds. It isn't just the pandemic that has people (in America at least) on edge--it's living in a collapsing nation.
The following users liked this post:
Nesbit (08-18-20)
Old 08-09-20, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

My beard at the start of this year, used to be brown with just a few spots of gray here and there. Now, it is 85% or more gray. I have had to stop watching the local and national news. Between all the virus numbers, everything that's closed, people that I have know for years losing their jobs and all of the political unrest in this Country, it takes a lot to keep it all together. I just keep my head down, keep grinding, and take life one day at a time.
Old 08-09-20, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 116 Likes on 85 Posts

I think we're going to see a LOT more manic depressives -- or if your prefer, bipolar disorder -- effected by the scatterbrained, capricious, and entirely unpredictable status of society now.

I'm agreeing with both Vibs and Sonny - I know for 100% fact that we're living in a collapsing nation, and the future isn't looking too good right now. I've consciously tuned out all Media-influenced and produced news at this point. This very forum is where I've been getting most of my news. More intelligent -- if not impartiall -- people reside here than do in the "most hated entity in America" right now. The media has been on my shitlist for a long time, but it is now on the "untouchable" list. They can go fuck themselves with their fake news, canned news, nonobjective, nonscientific viewpoints. Where's Mr. Murrow or Mr. Cronkite now? Ted Koppel was the last trusted and articulate newsperson / commentator (Nightline) that I watched and actually got something out of.

Mentally, living in constant stress isn't good for anyone. That's been my plight since Feb. Never in all my life have I EVER had trouble sleeping, but now I have. We all have varying degrees of resiliency, and the good news is fortunately, I'm better off than many. But, still, even I can't wait to get back to something resembling the "old normal" and rationally, I "know" it's never going to happen, but emotionally, I keep grasping at those straws of the last vestiage of "old" normal returning. And it's very difficult adjusting to such a plight when someone's lived one way for over 50 years, and suddenly, within a span of a couple of weeks, a terrible thing comes along and fractures that old reality. And it wasn't MY fault.

I think we have lots of blame to go around -- the Chinese, the lax US governmental response, the already-fractured and divided Nation, the large expanse of the nation itself resulting in cultural and political differences in some parts literally 180 degrees polar opposite, and impossible to convice either side what is "best".

I can't do anything about any of THAT, so I, and I'm sure millions of others as well, have become LESS trusting, more insulated, and MORE selfish -- as much as I hate to admit it! And this pains my psyche and my hopes. I wish I could say living in the new post-COVID world will be WONDERFUL, but I know that's a neurosis talking.

One can try to be a better person, but it is very difficult with all these mixed signals going around. Hell, a person's likely to become schizo before the end of it all.
Old 08-09-20, 05:59 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I've battled depression and anxiety for decades. Tried pretty much all the meds, nothing really works, but I am on some still. I don't feel any more depressed or anxious than I was before all this crap. If anything, knowing so many other people are dealing with the same issues now kinda makes me feel more normal.
candyrocket786 (08-14-20)
Old 08-09-20, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 97 Posts

I have been on antidepressants for most of the last 35 years, except during periods when I didn't have any insurance and couldn't afford them or the doctor visits they required to maintain a prescription. I have been on buspirone (BuSpar) for anxiety for about 19 years and up until the pandemic I had a Xanax prescription for PRN use. I have been taking it every day since March.

The one ace in the hole I have is my job, which is working for a company that is more than 100 years old and so has survived the Great Depression of the 1930s, the turbulent inflation of the 1970s, the Great Recession of 2008, etc. I have excellent benefits that I thank heaven for every day. There has been one reduction in force which did not affect me. I took a voluntary cut in hours (and pay) back in May but the benefits remain in force. I have worked for my company 13 years and they have been good to me, so I am stepping up. I am also stepping up my charitable giving since I do believe that the universe gives back what we put out there. When I got hurt and was on disability for most of 2016, lots of friends helped out with meals and housework and stuff like that. It helps me to help others, and thank goodness, I have the wherewithal at present to do it. That helps my mental state almost as much as the meds.
Old 08-09-20, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JackoOnHisBacko View Post
I've battled depression and anxiety for decades. Tried pretty much all the meds, nothing really works, but I am on some still. I don't feel any more depressed or anxious than I was before all this crap. If anything, knowing so many other people are dealing with the same issues now kinda makes me feel more normal.
I'm kind of in your same boat. I've been on increasing doses of nortriptyline over the past few years, and I can't really say it's making me feel any differently. Been talking to a therapist lately and that is helping. IDK if I should ask to try a different med. I'm maxed out now and the side effects are starting to become bothersome without much gain in my mood.
Old 08-10-20, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Honestly, I've started to wonder the last month or so. This whole quarantine has been really stressful. Obviously working at the hospital always comes with certain stressors but this is something entirely different. It's almost as if I can feel it stalking me and getting closer. I watched as the first cases came to the US. Then Florida. Then our city. Then our hospital. Then is started affecting hospital staff. Now my department. And we recently had our first in house staff death related to COVID. Also we've had a lot of patients die lately from COVID. For the longest time our census was down and we were sitting around bored with mandatory time off. Now we're coding patients all the time and it seems like COVID patients are dropping like flies. I've seen a lot of people die just from the nature of my job but it's different when you're in the room, hoping your PPE is up to spec will you're coding these patients. Most of them are not making it. It varies but usually we respond to 1 or 2 codes a month. We've had 5 this past week that my partner and I have attended. And those are just the ones they call. Pharmacy doesn't usually respond to codes in the ICU. I think the most stressful thing though is the upcoming school year. I have an upcoming 3rd grader who goes to a small private school (200 kids). They aren't doing virtual only in class so I'm not sure what to do. Unfortunately despite my wife being a former teacher virtual school just didn't work out the tail half of 2nd grade. My daughter is too distracted, not disciplined enough and too social. She's just not compatible with staying at home without her friends. Add to that the incredibly stressful ball of energy that is an 18 month old. I know everyone is stressed out about this in different ways. But there's just something extra stressful about going through this whole thing with kids.

Honestly another big stressful thing that I didn't even consider is how divided this country is. During times of emergency we usually come together to fight a common foe but that just simply isn't the case with this thing. It's brought out the crazy in people who you thought were rational people. Even highly educated docs in my family have fallen off the deep end with conspiracy theories (but they're primary care so they don't see what I do). Add to that trying to fight the prevailing ideology that just wants to give up and have everything go back to normal. It just felt a lot less stressful when everyone was quarantined and we were all doing the same thing. Now it seems like almost everyone is going about their daily lives with not a care in the world. That is really making me feel more and more isolated.

Plus no more free donuts and breakfast
Old 08-10-20, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

In before somebody blames a sitting political official for all their problems.

In any case, I recommend not watching the news. Like zyzzle said. It's basically all lies, whoever you get your news from. I'd say stress and mental health will greatly get better if a person would just stop watching the news for only 1 week.
Old 08-11-20, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
In any case, I recommend not watching the news. Like zyzzle said. It's basically all lies, whoever you get your news from. I'd say stress and mental health will greatly get better if a person would just stop watching the news for only 1 week.
For that matter, even now-formerly "garbage news" daytime tv talk shows have also become too stressful to watch. Stuff like: The View, The Talk, Ellen Degeneres, Dr Oz, etc ...

All they talk about now is current events and/or politics, when pre-covid it was mostly frivolous garbage celebrity type gossip "news".
Old 08-11-20, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 160 Likes on 116 Posts

Before all this went down, I was planning to talk to a therapist to deal with minor anxiety and depression issues I'd been experiencing (nothing that terrible, I just thought it would be good to talk to someone for a kind of mental "tune up"). Then March happened. My depression and anxiety has definitely increased, I've never felt more uncertain and negative about the future than I have this year and that's definitely affecting me, if even on some subconscious level. I could have had video/phone consultations, but I wanted my first one to be in person if possible, I felt more comfortable that way as I've never talked to a professional in this field before. Things have been opening back up here now, so I'm hoping to see someone soon. The amount of mental illness this whole thing will cause won't be insubstantial, that's for sure. I guess one small consolation is that many are in the same boat, and many are even worse off, so I should count my blessings I suppose?
Old 08-11-20, 09:36 PM

Received 144 Likes on 83 Posts

I was seeing a therapist about every 2 weeks before this, but since things shut down in March I’ve only had one session, which was through a Zoom-like app called VSee. It felt “off” doing it that way, like it wasn’t intimate enough. Not in a sexual way, obviously (although she is quite attractive)... I’m a bit sleep-deprived right now and having some trouble finding the right word. Anyway, I likely won’t do another session like that unless I absolutely have to, and since she is also the caregiver for her father who has several health issues, she’s sticking with telehealth as long as possible.
My son started back to school yesterday against my wishes. I wanted to do remote learning, but him and my wife outvoted me on the issue so I’m really on edge, just waiting for what feels like the inevitable.
Old 08-11-20, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
It just felt a lot less stressful when everyone was quarantined and we were all doing the same thing. Now it seems like almost everyone is going about their daily lives with not a care in the world. That is really making me feel more and more isolated.
Yes, that's the hardest part for me as well, and is leading, paradoxically, to MORE of a feeling of isolation, since I don't feel like it is safe nor prudent to "go back to normal" just yet. But, it is pulling at me -- I *want* to go back to normal (we CAN'T remain social isolates forever!), but rationally, I know that isn't a good idea right now. Millions of others obviously disagree with me for all the wrong reasons.
Old 08-12-20, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Overall, I'm doing pretty well, especially now, but I sort of had an odd reaction in the beginning. For about 10 years now, my house has sort of been the hub for my friends I'd say I probably would have company 4-5 days out of the week. You'd think I would become super lonely once lockdown hit in March. Nope! I had the opposite reaction. I loved knowing it was just me. I could watch what I wanted for a change. I didn't have to save any shows to watch with friends and could catch up with everything. I could catch up with projects around the house. It gave me a chance to evaluate some toxicity among one friend in particular.

And during this initial phase when I was gleefully enjoying finally having some alone time, I was having friends constantly pester me wanting to do video calls, something I wasn't really feeling at that point. That caused a bit of a rift, and a couple of friends took things personal that weren't at all personal. But that smoothed back out, and we're all on good terms. Well, except that toxic element. I finally excised that cancer.

At this point, things feel sort of normal to me now. I'm enjoying working from home, despite some challenges, and am loving pouring myself into my movie collection. My friend are still all strictly social distancing, but I have hung out with 3 of them, but one of my closest friends I've only talked on the phone. And with one friend that I did hang out with, it was weird because she refused to go in my house. I understand it was out of an abundance of caution, and I appreciate that. We sat and talked outside and kept some distance between us. I guess the last time I saw any of my friends was July 4th. I did a small backyard barbecue. I only invited four people and two came, but it was a lot of fun.

My friends long ago quit including me on the video call list, which I'm in no way complaining about. I don't know. It just felt weird to me. I was fine with texts and messaging. But the close friend I mentioned that I hadn't seen had a birthday recently. She had a virtual birthday party and insisted that I at least stop in just to say hi. Of course I did, but I guess I had reason to feel weird about doing the video calls. I don't know if I can really fully express why, but I really didn't like it. It made me uncomfortable, and while I was on it, it was the first time that I sort of started to feel lonely. You'd think "seeing" my friends would have the opposite effect, but it felt more distancing to me. It is not a substitute for normal in-person interactions, and when you have more than a couple of people on a call, I can see where it can become the extroverts holding court. I kept checking the other cams and saw a bunch just sitting there listening to the two or three more extroverted types doing all the talking I didn't stay on the call long and don't anticipate doing it again. I'm great with texting.

But yeah, aside from that, I'm trying to use this time to do some things for me. I got into gardening last year, so I've had time to keep up with that. I've started making homemade ice cream with some stuff I've grown and am planning to make jelly for the first time. I bought a new couch and am trying to reorganize the living room some. I'm just really damn lucky that I have the type of job that can be done from home and that my employer fully supports that. While I'm ready for things to start getting more normal again, I'm all right riding this thing out for a while longer.
Old 08-14-20, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Has anyone else had COVID related dreams? I had a dream I was going to go into a doctor's office, but forgot a mask. I went back to my car, searching everywhere in it, but couldn't find a mask.
Old 08-14-20, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
Has anyone else had COVID related dreams? I had a dream I was going to go into a doctor's office, but forgot a mask. I went back to my car, searching everywhere in it, but couldn't find a mask.
All the time, even before covid.

This is the "occupational hazard" of a lifelong hypochondriac.
Old 08-17-20, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
Not necessarily COVID related, some yes, but just stressful dreams in general.
Old 08-18-20, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
My son started back to school yesterday against my wishes. I wanted to do remote learning, but him and my wife outvoted me on the issue so Iím really on edge, just waiting for what feels like the inevitable.
Same, first day was today. Only 5 kids in her class of 20 with masks

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Yes, that's the hardest part for me as well, and is leading, paradoxically, to MORE of a feeling of isolation, since I don't feel like it is safe nor prudent to "go back to normal" just yet. But, it is pulling at me -- I *want* to go back to normal (we CAN'T remain social isolates forever!), but rationally, I know that isn't a good idea right now. Millions of others obviously disagree with me for all the wrong reasons.
Same here. I feel like everyone else has moved on but we haven't we didn't do anything this summer just some day trips to some parks and such. Facebook isn't helping. I'm not normally one to be so jealous but seeing everyone "moving on" with their lives and not giving a care in the world about what's going on is really stressful. It's like that dream where you know that something bad is going to happen and you try to tell people but they just don't believe you or can't hear you or something like that.
Old 08-18-20, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
It's like that dream where you know that something bad is going to happen and you try to tell people but they just don't believe you or can't hear you or something like that.
EXACTLY! That's how I feel... like there's an impending sense of doom. Everyone else is on a Fool's Errand in their charade of "going back to normal", but that's going to cost them dearly and lead to a long-term shitshow, on a National level. And there's not a damn thing I can do about it except to remain prudently cautious and piss into the wind! Look out for myself, but it won't do much good, because NOBODY else is looking out or cooperating in tempering their "wandering lust" and it's like the proverbial snake and the Apple Tree...
Old 08-19-20, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
EXACTLY! That's how I feel... like there's an impending sense of doom. Everyone else is on a Fool's Errand in their charade of "going back to normal", but that's going to cost them dearly and lead to a long-term shitshow, on a National level. And there's not a damn thing I can do about it except to remain prudently cautious and piss into the wind! Look out for myself, but it won't do much good, because NOBODY else is looking out or cooperating in tempering their "wandering lust" and it's like the proverbial snake and the Apple Tree...
Yep, and I constantly question myself if I'm doing the right thing. Why am I making myself and my family unhappy and stressed out if everyone is SO happy getting back to normal. And the problem is that all these idiots are affecting me. It would be one thing if their actions only affected them. That saying ignorance is bliss was never more true then now.
Old 09-09-20, 02:28 AM

Edit: nevermind. Fuck it.

Last edited by Tom Banjo; 09-09-20 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-09-20, 08:37 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

My wife and I are so goddamned depressed over all this coronavirus bullshit, we just want it to all end and soon. We're sick to death of wearing these fucking masks, we're sick of not being able to do the things that make life worth living and being happy about. I can fully understand the ones who can't deal with it and suicide. The depression is almost (but not quite) intolerable. Fuck this insanity.

Are any of the precautions we're taking to minimize the spread of this shit even working? The numbers (and the news media) say no.
Old 09-10-20, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Last few weeks have been rough. It was 100-115 outside for a week or so, then fires made the air hazardous so we havent been able to hang out on the porch or work in the yard. Then our dog started having walking problems and a week later we learned during an MRI that it was a huge tumor in his brain and had to put him down. And all just in time for the kids distance learning school started. Now the fire smoke is back and we havent see the sun in a while and the sky is orange. Trying times!
Old 09-10-20, 12:02 PM

Received 213 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Edit: nevermind. Fuck it.
You are not a "nevermind" person to us. You matter and what you're going through matters. We are listening.
The following 4 users liked this post by story:
danwiz (09-10-20), emanon (09-10-20), tanman (09-15-20), Tom Banjo (09-10-20)
Old 09-10-20, 07:31 PM

Thanks, I really do appreciate that. But I’m ok. I was having a “woe is me” moment and decided afterwards that I didn’t want to start and maintain my side of a conversation about marital issues. We’ve talked through some things anyway and are doing better now.
story (09-10-20)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.