Reload this Page >

The Slurpee Icee Slushie Frozen drink thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

The Slurpee Icee Slushie Frozen drink thread

Old 07-06-20, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 307 Likes on 235 Posts
Re: The Slurpee Icee Slushie Frozen drink thread

I don't even know what's the technical difference between a slurpee, an icee, and a slush puppy.

I know Burger King (at least here) has Icees, but they... vary in quality. Also Mcdonalds started having slushed lemonade drinks. And while Sonics are few and far between around here, I always like getting one from there.
Old 07-06-20, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

K-Mart used to sell Icees when I was a kid. Even today, no matter how slow I drink one, Slurpees always give me a brain freeze.
Old 07-06-20, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Cola Slurpee. I remember having a Slurpee cup with Captain Marvel (DC, not Marvel) on it that was a favorite until the art eventually wore completely off.
Old 07-06-20, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I don't even know what's the technical difference between a slurpee, an icee, and a slush puppy.

I know Burger King (at least here) has Icees, but they... vary in quality. Also Mcdonalds started having slushed lemonade drinks. And while Sonics are few and far between around here, I always like getting one from there.
I'm pretty sure Slurpee, Icee and Slush Puppy are all brand treatments of the same concept.

Though Slush Puppy uses more of an actual "slush", i.e. little chunks of ice (like hailstones) in water with flavor syrup, wherein Icee and Slurpee is like the drink pushed almost to the point of freezing but kept in a mostly liquid state.
Old 07-06-20, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Slush puppies felt different to me than Slurpees/Icees. Slush puppies tasted like syrup mixed with ice.
Old 07-06-20, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I always just figured 7-11 didn't want to pay to license the Icee brand so they made a knock off version of their own and started selling it, down to the knock-off-sounding name. I'm sure there's a patent of some kind so they must be at least slightly different.

On a side note, I've found that it's like finding gold when you find a 7-11 with a properly calibrated/maintained/whatever machine.

Also Taco Bell has their own versions which are... very different, almost filmy, it's hard to describe. Sometimes we get them when they're dirt cheap for "happy hour."
Old 07-06-20, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 155 Likes on 84 Posts

I haven't been to Sonic in a long time, but they used to sell pretty good slushes that you could get in several different flavors. Originally they were somewhat similar to Slush Puppies--though maybe not quite as syrupy--but I think at some point they changed their formula and made them with more finely shaved ice.
Old 07-06-20, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

I remember getting a Icee at Sears.

They served them in Raiders cups back when they were still in Oakland in the early 80's.

I did not know Burger king has Frozen Cherry Fanta.

Need to try that.

Old 07-06-20, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Do you remember 7-11 Bring Your Own Cup Day?

Old 07-06-20, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you want to talk blast from the past:

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-foru...mv.html?550490
Old 07-06-20, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

For you old timers... how many of you redeemed points from the cut outs from the Icee?
Old 07-06-20, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cellar Door View Post
I haven't been to Sonic in a long time, but they used to sell pretty good slushes that you could get in several different flavors. Originally they were somewhat similar to Slush Puppies--though maybe not quite as syrupy--but I think at some point they changed their formula and made them with more finely shaved ice.
I was just at Sonic over the weekend, thereís several around here and I got my favorite, a large cherry limeade. Itís closer to a Slush Puppy, a granular ice slurry with flavors but this also adds real lime and cherries.
The following users liked this post:
Cellar Door (07-07-20)
Old 07-07-20, 10:56 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Tried the Red Bull Slush at Sonic the other day. They are half price in the app this summer. Added strawberries and my wife and I loved it.
Old 07-07-20, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, I should also mention, a couple of summers ago Sonic was offering a pickle juice flavored slush drink and of course I had to try it. The first couple of sips were okay (I like drinking pickle juice from the jar) but after that you could tell it was an artificial flavor and I couldn't finish it.
Old 08-09-20, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe 1/4 of a slurpee has the coke or cherry flavor and the rest is frozen ice.

BK's Icees are better.
Old 08-09-20, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
Maybe 1/4 of a slurpee has the coke or cherry flavor and the rest is frozen ice.

BK's Icees are better.
I think I said this earlier but Slurpees vary greatly by location. If you find one that has a great machine, it's pretty consistent the whole way through (unless you leave it out too long of course)
Old 08-10-20, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Another chain called QuikTrip (I think they're out of Oklahoma) eventually beat 7-Eleven out of most of the Kansas City market, and in the 60s and 70s their variation was called a Koolee.
Koolie? Holy crap, how did that make it past the legal-"this is a bad idea" department?

In case you don't know, after the Brits outlawed slavery throughout the Empire, they still had tons of jobs that required extremely low wages - just because slavery went away, that didn't mean the sugar plantations shut down. So they started the Coolie System, where British recruiters would go to India and China and promise huge wages to come work in places like Jamaica. Workers weren't told they had to pay for their voyage to and from Jamaica (at a hugely inflated rate) and, once on the sugar plantation, they'd have to rent their bed, and also pay ridiculous prices for food, clothes and medicine. Bottom line was, these people never ended up making any money, but they legally weren't "slaves" because they were getting a "wage". Much like West Virginia miners who got paid in scrip that was only redeemable at the company store for highly-overpriced goods. Coolie is now a slur in much of the world. That's how the Jamaicans ended up with curry, though, so there's that.
Old 08-11-20, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I think I said this earlier but Slurpees vary greatly by location. If you find one that has a great machine, it's pretty consistent the whole way through (unless you leave it out too long of course)

I wish we had those in Fremont but the people that operate stores here are shady.