Reload this Page >

Killed over an argument about a dog

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 06-12-20, 11:45 AM
bcd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So this happened Wednesday while I was at work. Literally 25 yards outside the back of our building. They had an argument with a resident the in apartment complex, the resident decided to get his AR-15. Killed the Female with the first shot and then shot the Male in the legs while he was running shattering his femur.

All over a dog trying to poop. What the hell?!?

Link
DENVER — A shooting in downtown Denver that left a 21-year-old woman dead and a man injured started after the suspect yelled at the man for giving a command to his dog to relieve itself, according to a probable cause statement from Denver Police.
The suspect in Wednesday's downtown shooting made his first appearance in Denver County Court on Thursday.
Police arrested 36-year-old Michael Close after two people were shot in the 2900 block of North Huron Street.
Close is being held on suspicion of first-degree murder. According to Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) records, Close has no prior criminal history in the state.
One victim, identified by family as Isabella Thallas, was pronounced dead at the scene, said Joe Montoya, Division Chief of Investigations for the Denver Police Department (DPD), at a news conference Wednesday afternoon. The other victim, identified in Thursday's court hearing as 26-year-old Darian Simon, was transported to the hospital and is expected to survive.

Last edited by bcd; 06-12-20 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-12-20, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts
Re: Killed over an argument about a dog

Wow, I’m never moving to Denver.
Old 06-12-20, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Wow, Im never moving to Denver.
Yeah really, good thing people don't get shot and killed for stupid shit in the rest of the US.
Old 06-12-20, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

The wrong "animals" were killed. Of course the damn dog should have been shot instead! Shitting problem solved!
Old 06-12-20, 07:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts

All Dogs Matter!

really is a shame. the girl was beautiful.

Old 06-12-20, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Yeah really, good thing people don't get shot and killed for stupid shit in the rest of the US.
Especially in Texas where I live.

Whoops, nevermind.
Old 06-12-20, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
All Dogs Matter!
really is a shame. the girl was beautiful.
If she was ugly, it would've been okay?
Old 06-12-20, 07:54 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
not at all. just saying, she was. still a shame that a psychopath would do that to her and the bf.
Old 06-12-20, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

This was big news for about a day here. Any other time and this would have been the top story for a week. Shows what a fucked up time were living in right now.
Old 06-12-20, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Come on, we all know it wouldn't be as sad. Just like if I died or some handsome younger guy, people would be way more upset that the hunk died.
Old 06-12-20, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Well she is objectively attractive. But it would've been sad no matter who it was, it's always very unsettling when some sicko takes out a stranger for no reason at all, because it could happen to any of us. The fact that she was only 21 is even more tragic, she was just getting started in adulthood.
Old 06-13-20, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts

That's why nowadays you've got to keep a cool head. Not excusing what the shooter did AT ALL. But you know the argument escalated whereas if cooler heads had prevailed she might still be alive.
Old 06-13-20, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
The wrong "animals" were killed. Of course the damn dog should have been shot instead! Shitting problem solved!
Kvrdave? Have you hacked zyzzle's account?
Old 06-13-20, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts

Portland, OR dog walkers are smarter than those in Denver. They walk their dogs at night and have them poop in yards.
Old 06-13-20, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
That's why nowadays you've got to keep a cool head. Not excusing what the shooter did AT ALL. But you know the argument escalated whereas if cooler heads had prevailed she might still be alive.
That's right, man. I'm also not excusing the act of killing that girl-- NEVER! -- but for all we know she could have been a hotheaded. righteous bitch who totally escalated the incident. That is, not very smart. This is one of those stories where I'm sure there was more, MUCH more to the incident that is not being reported. Never argue with a gun, damn it! The moral of the story, if there is one, is: Don't own a damn dog, be happy, and live...
Old 06-13-20, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Well I prefer to stick to what we know about the story rather than making wild assumptions (facetiously?). One person shot another person, and it wasn't in self-defense. And there's no justification for that, no matter what else may have happened.
Old 06-13-20, 09:50 PM
bcd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I know about the situation being close to where it all when down, and also from showing the security camera footage to the SWAT and DPD Investigator while the perimeter was secure and the were still treating it as an active shooter. There was no audio on camera.

1. The couple was outside of the apartment with their dog off leash. They had been outside for about 5 minutes.
2. The couple get up from the curb and turn to face the apartment building, It appears that is where the verbal altercation happened.
3. They turn their back to the building and walk to a retaining wall and climb it (3-4ft high) and they appear like they are getting the dog an getting ready to leave
4. The male looks up at building and the first shots were fired. The girl gets hit and never saw the shooter. The guy tries to run down an alley but the shooter has line of sight and continues to fire shattering the guys leg.

There could have been more than ten seconds from when they turned away from the apartment building and the shooting stars. Yes, cooler heads should have prevailed, but to have an AR-15 at the ready that you can walk away from the window and come back ten seconds later and start shooting is a whole other kind of WTF?

Shooter would have been in one of the windows on the 3rd or 4th floor in the building on the left. They were standing on the rounded part of the curb on the right.

Last edited by bcd; 06-13-20 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-13-20, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by NIck Danger (from another thread)
Oh yeah, keep your hands on the wheel. I roll down all four windows as soon as I stop, so they have the best possible view of me, and then I keep my hands at the 10 and 2 o'clock position. I don't move my hands until the officer gets to the car and asks for my license, registration, and proof of insurance.
I read these two statements in the past 10 min and both of them make me jump back. The sad thing is you guys accept that as normal, i.e. to be afraid of getting shot from a mere argument or traffic stop. It's mind boggling.
Old 06-13-20, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post

I read these two statements in the past 10 min and both of them make me jump back. The sad thing is you guys accept that as normal, i.e. to be afraid of getting shot from a mere argument or traffic stop. It's mind boggling.
I agree it is sad. Too many people are getting killed for nothing. I haven't accepted that as normal but a sad possibility. We've had multiple people being shot by just a simple argument where you wouldn't expect someone would blow your brains out. And again I'm not excusing the shooter. But I tend to be pragmatic and if its up to me I'd rather not start something if possible. You just don't know anymore
Old 06-14-20, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post

But isn't it normal? Am I living in a dream where everyone is horrible to each other, and maybe you can pinch me so I can wake up and discover that I was wrong, and people are all respectful to each other and have common sense to not take so much stuff personally when it doesn't even apply to them in the first place?

You're saying it's better to continually argue with somebody in a world where everyone is so unhinged as to freaking out over the color of hat you're wearing or a t-shirt with a few words on it? I dunno. I don't think you'll manage to escape a hospital visit, let alone live that long. Me, I try to do my best, be respectful of others and their property, even public property, and I'm not looking to create a war on the street. If somebody gets in my personal space, that's another issue. Tossing lit cigarettes out a window, walking dogs and not cleaning up after them, dumping small amounts of trash on a street corner, etc., are not ways to make friends in the community.

By the way, not saying this horrible and insane act was justified to any extent, it wasn't. I'm saying we all need to be aware of people that are looking for somebody, anybody, to pull the trigger for them.
Old 06-14-20, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Lot of rage in the area, I still remember that one from a couple years ago where the woman changed lanes too close to a 23 year old, he followed them to a dental office and proceeded to shoot her and two of her kids, then proceeded to execute her 13 year old son.
Old 06-14-20, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Lot of rage in the area, I still remember that one from a couple years ago where the woman changed lanes too close to a 23 year old, he followed them to a dental office and proceeded to shoot her and two of her kids, then proceeded to execute her 13 year old son.
Wow...I did not hear about that one.

Seriously what is wrong with people now? Why have we become so unhinged as a society?
Old 06-14-20, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

No clue. I wonder if this is a case of a guy getting jealous - working from home, having a hot girl he could never have and her boyfriend walk by day, after day, after day. I mean, that's a stretch since nothing is known about the shooter (other than being a 36 year old, 6'2, 200 lbs white guy) but it doesn't sound entirely far fetched. Either way, very sad situation.
Old 06-14-20, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Seriously what is wrong with people now? Why have we become so unhinged as a society?
24/7 reporting of these types of incidents to gain viewers and justify higher advertising fees, along with disinformation to keep viewers in a state of conspiracy, keeping those viewers addicted and wanting more. The by-product...illogical reactions in real life.
Old 06-15-20, 12:55 AM

Three words: "Technology", and "microsecond news"

Further, three months of being locked up, COVID-19, and society closing down so quickly that anyone under 80 did not react well, because it was not in living memory for them. People losing jobs, too many kids at home stressing out working parents, economy tanking (worse yet to come!).

All these things, in unity, and in combination with rampant entitlement fostered over the last generation especially, and young people just couldn't deal with it, so we have trigger acts like this terrible incident,,, and anarchic mass riots and a scapegoat -- the police -- to act out our frustrations upon.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.