Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite and most useful gadget/item (masks don't count) bought during this pandemic?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Favorite and most useful gadget/item (masks don't count) bought during this pandemic?

Old 06-06-20, 09:30 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts

i gotta say, i really think all that much about not having a barber shop around. certainly didn't think this long, but when i found these clippers on Amazon, i never have to go to another one again (shows unavailable now and when i got, i know it took some time, less that i thought, but stated longer due to high demand product and such). i like short and that's it. it buzzes short every couple weeks and that's that. no fuss, no muss. little bathtub cleanup, but max done in 15 or so minutes with cutting, cleaning and showering. already paid for it self 2x over. just something i never would have gotten or remotely have thought about until our world now.

anything you got, that you never expected would be so useful during these times?
Old 06-07-20, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts
Re: Favorite and most useful gadget/item (masks don't count) bought during this pandemic?

I bought the exact same shaver and it's awesome, but it's #2 on my list. Number one by a mile, the Oculus Quest. Although I bought it in Feb and my purchase was unrelated to COVID-19, after the gyms closed I thought I'd go nuts. I was getting, let's face it, depressed... Then, using mostly the BoxVR daily workout, Eleven table tennis (the ball machine never gets tired) and lighter workouts (Beat Saber, Synth Riders) for cool down, I got fit. Well fitter than I've probably been for 10 years. I went from barely being able to do 5 min BoxVR on Easy to 15-20 min Ultimate Intensity or 40+ min on Hard. And I can do Eleven ball machine drills and play AI for hours. I'm never doing cardio at the gym again. I've started playing tennis and using my bike again, but I still use the Quest every day.

Heck, I even had to start drinking protein shakes because I've always been on the skinny side, and I didn't eat enough to replace the calories I burned. And of course, I'm in a much better mental state.
The following 2 users liked this post by eXcentris:
Shamus McAnally (07-09-20), The Questyen (06-07-20)
Old 06-07-20, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: Favorite and most useful gadget/item (masks don't count) bought during this pandemic?

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
i gotta say, i really think all that much about not having a barber shop around. certainly didn't think this long, but when i found these clippers on Amazon, i never have to go to another one again (shows unavailable now and when i got, i know it took some time, less that i thought, but stated longer due to high demand product and such). i like short and that's it. it buzzes short every couple weeks and that's that. no fuss, no muss. little bathtub cleanup, but max done in 15 or so minutes with cutting, cleaning and showering. already paid for it self 2x over. just something i never would have gotten or remotely have thought about until our world now.

anything you got, that you never expected would be so useful during these times?
Please give an actual link, not just a small JPEG photo, for that shaver. It looks fabulous. Please also give more specifics as to how you use it, ie how short is "short" (#1, 2, 3 ,4 ....?) and is it adjustable specifically for a #1, #2, etc cut? No problems cutting your own hair with this??

Would probably save me lots of $$$ in the uncertain future of barber shops. The smart thing to do seems to be "keep it short" and stick with this gadget!
Old 06-07-20, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a 26 monitor but working from home and not being able to print out drawings on large paper, I wanted something larger. Was looking for a larger monitor around 32-34 with 4K but they were kind of expensive especially considering that I am not sure how long I would be using it. I tried my 43 4K tv and it was just a little too large. Ended up getting an open box 40 4K tv for $140. Still a little on the large side but happy with purchase. Considering the sizes now I think a 34-37 would be the perfect size For me but its hard to find in that size with 4K and a regular (not ultra wide), not to mention a reasonable price.
Old 06-07-20, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

arent you glad you listened to me and ordered it even though it wasnt in stock at the moment? 😉
Old 06-07-20, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Please give an actual link, not just a small JPEG photo, for that shaver. It looks fabulous. Please also give more specifics as to how you use it, ie how short is "short" (#1, 2, 3 ,4 ....?) and is it adjustable specifically for a #1, #2, etc cut? No problems cutting your own hair with this??

Would probably save me lots of $$$ in the uncertain future of barber shops. The smart thing to do seems to be "keep it short" and stick with this gadget!

i believe this is the one, though oos at the moment

Amazon Amazon
Old 06-07-20, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Search for Remington HC4250 on YouTube for reviews. It has 9 adapters so it goes from zero (no adapter) to 5, in 0.5 increments. I had never cut my own hair before, using this was a breeze. I started with 2.5 and liked the result so I stick with that every couple of weeks. Takes a bit longer the first time, but after a couple of cuts, I can do this in 5 min. And it's extremely easy to clean. Highly recommended.
Old 06-07-20, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a folding table that Ive been using everyday as a desk, ever since I got approved for teleworking.

However, I bought it two years ago. It was rarely used, for the occasional house party or doing some crafts. So maybe just 1-2 times a year.

But now it gets used everyday and Im so glad I had it ready, since teleworking was unexpected and fast in March.

Last edited by MLBFan24; 06-07-20 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-07-20, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post
I have a folding table that Ive been using everyday as a desk, ever since I got approved for teleworking.

However, I bought it two year ago. It was rarely used, for the occasional house party or doing some crafts. So maybe just 1-2 times a year.

But now it gets used everyday and Im so glad I had it ready, since teleworking was unexpected and fast in March.
I had one with my home computer setup on it before COVID-19. I had to buy a bigger one to accommodate my work laptop and the extra monitors.

Also, I know the OP says not masks, but truly, keeping a big box of throwaway latex gloves in my car has served me well when I do have to go out.
The following users liked this post:
MLBFan24 (06-07-20)
Old 06-07-20, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
arent you glad you listened to me and ordered it even though it wasnt in stock at the moment? 😉
absolutely. never thought it would be so easy to do and this does it in minutes.
Old 06-07-20, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought a flat-bed scanner with a sheet feeder for my home PC. We have been using it to scan and submit our son's homework, remote-deposit refund checks we have been getting for canceled activities, and submit signed documents. While we could use a cell phone to take pictures, I found it annoying trying to get just-the-right pictures without shadows and weird perspective skews. The scanner gives me a clean scan every time and can automatically scan multiple sheets into a single PDF.
Old 06-07-20, 04:27 PM

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Search for Remington HC4250 on YouTube for reviews. It has 9 adapters so it goes from zero (no adapter) to 5, in 0.5 increments. I had never cut my own hair before, using this was a breeze. I started with 2.5 and liked the result so I stick with that every couple of weeks. Takes a bit longer the first time, but after a couple of cuts, I can do this in 5 min. And it's extremely easy to clean. Highly recommended.
Thank you! Am going to give it a shot if I can find one. Last haircut 3 months ago!!
Old 06-07-20, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Thank you! Am going to give it a shot if I can find one. Last haircut 3 months ago!!
actually has 13 different size attachments...
Old 06-07-20, 06:28 PM

Received 142 Likes on 79 Posts

I bought an Ender 3 Pro 3D printer back in March right about when everything started shutting down. I mostly print stuff for tabletop games, but I also used it to print some ear savers for masks. I'm considering printing a Bane-style mask for trips to the grocery story.
Old 06-07-20, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
I had a 26 monitor but working from home and not being able to print out drawings on large paper, I wanted something larger. Was looking for a larger monitor around 32-34 with 4K but they were kind of expensive especially considering that I am not sure how long I would be using it. I tried my 43 4K tv and it was just a little too large. Ended up getting an open box 40 4K tv for $140. Still a little on the large side but happy with purchase. Considering the sizes now I think a 34-37 would be the perfect size For me but its hard to find in that size with 4K and a regular (not ultra wide), not to mention a reasonable price.

I picked up an open box 32 tv to use for a second monitor ... $50 and I have absolutely loved it this past week. I started grad school (again) and am preparing to teach summer school online so having one screen for the material and one screen for the Zoom/Google meetings has been great.
Old 06-07-20, 08:18 PM
Premium Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

milo bloom (06-12-20)
Old 06-07-20, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

actually has 13 different size attachments...
I'm both right and wrong. Mine definitely has 9 combs/attachments, but it's not from 0 to 5, it's 0 to 15. Oops! I only use 2.5

Nine fixed combs (1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 4.5, 6, 9, 12, 15 mm)
Amazon Amazon

Maybe the US has a different package with more options/combs? I dunno.
Old 06-07-20, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
I bought an Ender 3 Pro 3D printer back in March right about when everything started shutting down. I mostly print stuff for tabletop games, but I also used it to print some ear savers for masks. I'm considering printing a Bane-style mask for trips to the grocery story.
I backed the Creality CR-6 SE project on Kickstarter, it just finished funding. Won't get it until Sept/Oct though. I'm gonna share the printer with my nephew, he's in mechanical engineering and he's learning 3D modeling. The target was 100 grand, they got over 4 million $.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...it/description
Old 06-07-20, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I bought a bias tape maker for sewing. It's handy to be able to make bias tape out of any fabric, but it was eye opening to realize how much fabric goes into that tape.

Old 06-09-20, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
I picked up an open box 32 tv to use for a second monitor ... $50 and I have absolutely loved it this past week. I started grad school (again) and am preparing to teach summer school online so having one screen for the material and one screen for the Zoom/Google meetings has been great.
nice! I prefer a higher pixel density for computer use and a 32 thats QHD or 4K is pretty pricey, compared to a 4K 40 tv.
Old 06-09-20, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 95 Likes on 69 Posts

I bought a Wahl hair clipper. I have used it once on my head. But I'm using it every couple of weeks on my beard. It's much faster and easier than trimming my beard with the moustache scissors.
Old 06-09-20, 08:29 PM

Received 142 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
I backed the Creality CR-6 SE project on Kickstarter, it just finished funding. Won't get it until Sept/Oct though. I'm gonna share the printer with my nephew, he's in mechanical engineering and he's learning 3D modeling. The target was 100 grand, they got over 4 million $.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...it/description

That's a pretty amazing printer for the price. Might have to move to that model if/when my Ender 3 goes kaput (which might be sooner than later as I'm giving it a workout).
eXcentris (06-12-20)
Old 06-09-20, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My MacBook Pro was on its last legs (slow, cracked screen, barely held a charge). Ive had apple products for a decade but I needed something that was easier to use my military card reader with (macs are notoriously difficult to set up correctly). I decided to buy a surface pro. It was pricey, but my god do I love it. About to head out on a deployment and the best part is how light and durable it seems to be.
Old 06-10-20, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts

Pricey, and chose the two hottest days of the year to put together (90 degree weather then literally the next day it dropped to the 70s) but it's been worth it to keep the kids occupied. Unfortunately the 15 mo we still have to watch when she's outside but it gives them something to do besides something on a screen.
Shamus McAnally (07-09-20)
Old 06-10-20, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Masterbuilt Electric Smoker.

Having to constantly feed it wood chips is a little annoying, but I'm home anyway so it doesn't bother me too much. Made some delicious pulled pork, wings and ribs. Haven't tried a brisket yet.
Abob Teff (06-13-20)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.