Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite ‘semi-big’ franchise ice-cream place?

Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: Favorite ‘semi-big’ franchise ice-cream place?
Baskin-Robbins
19.23%
Carvel
0%
Cold Stone Creamery
7.69%
Dairy Queen
23.08%
Friendly’s
7.69%
Häagen-Dazs
11.54%
Sonic
3.85%
Other (please specify...)
19.23%
What are you high?
7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-20, 10:49 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I’ve loved Baskin Robbins. They def had most flavors and their once a year bubblegum with actual bubblegum was heaven, but always loved Friendly's ice-cream. Always, for some reason. Just like the distinct taste. From the whopping Jim Dandy to the Happy Ending Sunday’s before it became seedy and sexual. It’s like a good quality but really probably made from recycled crap but whatever, the tastes, in even vanilla, is good and distinct. Though Breyers vanilla good too. I dunno, BR’s had Rocky Road (what became my fav), But Friendly's was always my go to for ice-cream. Even food they had was damn good. Though, I think all gone, now, right? So sad.

So which retail chain did you like more and went to more?
Old 05-23-20, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Favorite ‘semi-big’ franchise ice-cream place?

I don’t go to enough ice cream shops to make a decision, but some of my relatives use to own a Maggie Moos ice cream shop (franchised for about 5 years). Just saw on Wikipedia, 400 locations at its peak. As of 2019, there are only 19 locations.

But my favorite is a family-owned local gelato shop. I always get half raspberry and half chocolate.

I had vacation plans to go Italy last week and one of my goals was to get some authentic Italian gelato. Well, we all know how that turned out
Old 05-23-20, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Have to hand it to you (thumbs up) that post is the definition of "hollow".
Received 313 Likes on 216 Posts

Hard to beat Dairy Queen, mostly because of the memories of my parents taking me there after an event.
Old 05-23-20, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Haven't been to a BR in years. Favorite flavor there was World Class Chocolate. There's a local place I use. Lots more adventurous flavors. Can't wait until they open back up. And I've developed a fondness for frozen custard that's a local chain.
Old 05-24-20, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

I’m confused by the question. If Baskin-Robbins and Dairy Queen are “semi-big,” what’s “big”?

Anyway, I’ve liked B-R since I was a kid, even though it was probably never THE favorite because of local places. I do like going to Haagen Daz these days, and Dairy Queen is worth a stop on road trips.
Old 05-24-20, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
Hard to beat Dairy Queen, mostly because of the memories of my parents taking me there after an event.
Our local Dairy Queen was one of the walk in/through shops with no seating. It was basically a small shack with screen doors on either end (of the customer area), and a pair of ordering/serving windows. It always had this recognizable smell. I also have fond memories of my mother and her long time boyfriend, who was like a father to me, taking me there. I recall spilling a bit of a banana split on the seat of his brand new car.

Having said that, my preference is still Baskin Robbins. As mentioned in the other thread, their Jamoca Almond Fudge is my favourite ice cream. Although, one year they had a chocolate almond ice cream that was incredible. Loaded with whole roasted almonds. I was so bummed out when it disappeared at the end of the month. I didn't realize it was a rotating flavour, nor do I recall it ever coming back.

I used to go to BR every day after school. The girls that worked there knew me well enough that they'd let me get a kiddie cone, but would load it up like a regular cone, or even throw it in a dish with sundae toppings. They were high school age, and I would've been about 10 or 11, I believe. The good old days, indeed.
Old 05-24-20, 05:39 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

My wife & I go to DQ 2 or 3 times each summer, we love the taste of their ice cream.
Old 05-24-20, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
their once a year bubblegum with actual bubblegum was heaven
Best ice cream I ever had was bubblegum. This didn't have the chunks though. It was pink, completely smooth, and awesome. This was 50 years ago in an ice cream shop in JFK mall in Florida. The only bubblegum ice cream I've seen since is white with multi colored bubblegum chunks. You can buy bubblegum flavoring. I use it all the time. I've made bubblegum flavored cookies, cupcakes, frosting, and milkshakes. You have to add a smidgeon of red food coloring also to get the exact pink color of bubblegum. Once made a bubblegum cake. Used square cake pan and airbrushed the frosting to look like a Bazooka wrapper. You can make hollow cupcakes by crumpling up piece of wax paper into ball and putting one in each of the spots of cupcake pan. Pull out wax paper after baking and there's a hollow spot. Stick a piece of bubblegum in hollow spot. Cupcakes with bubblegum center.
There's root beer flavoring also. Can do all kinds of cool stuff with it. Root beer cake with vanilla frosting, vice verse. Root beer cookies with vanilla chips. Milkshakes.
Old 05-24-20, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Baskin Robbins was my favorite as a kid but we moved out of their footprint.

These days the local places are the best.
Old 05-24-20, 07:34 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts

My wife and I go to Twistee Treat. I think it's a FL chain.
Old 05-24-20, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I’m confused by the question. If Baskin-Robbins and Dairy Queen are “semi-big,” what’s “big”?
Yeah, exactly. “Semi-big” makes me think of something like Graeter’s, which doesn’t have a large footprint in terms of shops, but has a much larger distribution footprint in grocery stores nationwide.
Old 05-24-20, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Tastee-freeze and Sonic are good. I also like Menchie's. Cold Stone Creamery sucks.

Old 05-24-20, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't have a favorite. They all have indifferent ice cream. I go to Dairy Queen and Sonic about once a year each because they're within a couple of miles of the house. If I want ice cream that doesn't taste of additives, I pull out the ice cream maker.

When I was a kid, there was a local ice cream shop called Weeks'. I went to school with one of the Weeks girls. Today the ice cream shop is long gone, but the intersection is still called Weeks Crossing. Now it has a Walmart and a Home Depot. Progress, I guess.

Old 05-24-20, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Which chains would be considered "big" as opposed to "semi-big". Many of the ones you listed are the biggest ice cream chains that exist.
Old 05-24-20, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 81 Posts

I like DQ but DQ doesn’t like me. I’m not lactose intolerant but when I eat DQ ice cream it affects my body as if I was.

I guess of the ones listed I’d choose Cold Stone. I don’t eat there often, mostly because I’m not crazy about spending $15 for an ice cream cone.

I don’t have an opinion on BR. I thinks it’s been 20 years since I last had it.

Locally, we have a place called Walrus Ice Cream that beats all the chains, hands down. It’s a little hole-in-the-wall shop that makes their ice cream daily. It’s delicious.
Old 05-24-20, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts

The German Chocolate Cake ice cream at Cold Stone is my fav.
Old 05-24-20, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

We only have Dairy Queen locally, which I do like pretty well. I like their soft serve and Blizzards. I’ve had Cold Stone a couple times but not for a while. I think they’re pretty good too.
Old 05-24-20, 09:13 AM

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Back in the 70's, I loved Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour. All the kids in my neighborhood celebrated birthdays there every year. A bunch of rowdy children sitting around a long table eating hot dogs. Then the fire siren would blare and they'd bring out the giant 30-scoop ice cream sundae with everybody yelling and singing. After stuffing ourselves, we'd exit through the old fashioned candy shoppe with giant jars and barrels of penny candies. It was wonderful.

Unfortunately, they're all closed down these days. That CNBC show The Profit tried to save the last couple shops. But they closed for good last year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farrel..._Cream_Parlour
Old 05-24-20, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Originally Posted by printerati View Post
Yeah, exactly. “Semi-big” makes me think of something like Graeter’s, which doesn’t have a large footprint in terms of shops, but has a much larger distribution footprint in grocery stores nationwide.
Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
Which chains would be considered "big" as opposed to "semi-big". Many of the ones you listed are the biggest ice cream chains that exist.
Definitely high this time. Unless it's a "rouge."
Old 05-24-20, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

I will say this in favor of ice cream parlors. Although an ice cream cone at one costs about the same as a 3/8-gallon container of ice cream from the grocery store, it's gone when I finish the cone. If I get a craving for one dish of ice cream and buy a 3/8-gallon container from the store, I feel obliged to eat all of it. Going to an ice cream parlor is better for my health.
Old 05-24-20, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Count me in as one of those confused by the "semi-big" descriptor. At any rate, although I don't eat a lot of ice cream these days, I guess I'd go with DQ.
Old 05-24-20, 01:03 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
Back in the 70's, I loved Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour. All the kids in my neighborhood celebrated birthdays there every year. A bunch of rowdy children sitting around a long table eating hot dogs. Then the fire siren would blare and they'd bring out the giant 30-scoop ice cream sundae with everybody yelling and singing. After stuffing ourselves, we'd exit through the old fashioned candy shoppe with giant jars and barrels of penny candies. It was wonderful.

Unfortunately, they're all closed down these days. That CNBC show The Profit tried to save the last couple shops. But they closed for good last year.

Similar fond memories of Farrell’s and those fire alarm birthday moments.
Old 05-24-20, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post
I don’t go to enough ice cream shops to make a decision, but some of my relatives use to own a Maggie Moos ice cream shop (franchised for about 5 years). Just saw on Wikipedia, 400 locations at its peak. As of 2019, there are only 19 locations.

But my favorite is a family-owned local gelato shop. I always get half raspberry and half chocolate.

I had vacation plans to go Italy last week and one of my goals was to get some authentic Italian gelato. Well, we all know how that turned out
I remember Maggie Moo's! There was one in Gladstone, Missouri in the early 90s, went there all the time.

I chose Dairy Queen because there really aren't a lot of franchised ice cream places around Kansas City. The only other one I can think of is Culver's and while I like their burgers, I don't care for their ice cream.
The following users liked this post:
MLBFan24 (05-24-20)
Old 05-24-20, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post

I grew up going to Farrell's, too. I hated the siren and the drums, and my parents were too cheap to buy anything big like that, but I still liked going.

Of the choices, I've never been to a Haagen-Daz, but that sounds like it would be where I would go now--at least I like their grocery store icecream better than most. Too much ice cream is too sweet and full of air. At least Haagen-Daz is dense.
Old 05-24-20, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

My favorite is Freddy's. They serve steakburgers & frozen custard and are mostly in the midwest but expanding.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.