Reload this Page >

Moving long distance, help?!

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 05-14-20, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 159 Posts

In the next few months (first part of July) I will be moving long distance (about 8 hours away) to a place I have never been. Given the current state of the world, we have not been able to go there to spend a few days and look around. I’ve been trying to look online for a place to live. All I am finding is the standard “big site” searches which are not impressing me with their overpriced McApartments.

Some random bits of info:

It is just me moving (for now).
I do not want a roommate.
I am OK with an efficiency type situation, but don’t want to rent “a room”.
I have taken an unconventional approach and looked at a couple of “rent to own, fixer-uppers” trying to think longer term and investment-wise.

Anybody have experience or suggestions on finding a place to rent and moving long distance? I am starting to stress a little.

Anybody have any friends in Mississippi? (I think I may have asked that already.)
Old 05-14-20, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Moving long distance, help?!

The good thing about living in Mississippi is it's cheap. The bad thing about it is, it's cheap because nobody wants to live there.

Also, please, please tell me you are not black, Latino, or Asian.
Old 05-14-20, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Lived in Mississippi for 10 months, on the Gulf Coast side...back in the 80s. City water had a slight brown tint that you would only notice if you filled the bathtub or went swimming in the pool. Most interesting thing that happened was a traffic backup and, when we got to the cause of the backup, it turned out to be an alligator sunning himself on the highway. Oh and there was a cross burning a couple streets over. Good times.

I have a Facebook friend out in MS but I'm not sure what part of the state she lives in. She was a good friend of an ex-girlfriend.
The following users liked this post:
Abob Teff (05-15-20)
Old 05-14-20, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Adjust your expectations and you'll be fine. I do not have any concrete suggestions other than you can probably rent a palace for $1000 per month! Wish I could help more, sorry.
Old 05-15-20, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I wrote a longer response last night, but deleted it since it seemed like too much. I would just suggest that you get yourself an extended stay hotel rental or airbnb for a week, and then make your decisions once you're there in person. You might have to leave a few days ahead of time to do that, but there's no substitute for setting your own eyes on a place (and nose--you can't tell from a picture if previous tenants smoked etc.)
Old 05-15-20, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps plan to stat in an extend a stay type place for a few weeks while you look for places to stay?
Deftones (05-15-20)
Old 05-15-20, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Yeah, I agree that staying in an extended stay hotel/motel for awhile until you get the lay of the land would be a good idea, I'd likely do that myself.
Old 05-15-20, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
I wrote a longer response last night, but deleted it since it seemed like too much. I would just suggest that you get yourself an extended stay hotel rental or airbnb for a week, and then make your decisions once you're there in person. You might have to leave a few days ahead of time to do that, but there's no substitute for setting your own eyes on a place (and nose--you can't tell from a picture if previous tenants smoked etc.)
Tasha, I saw the longer post and it was appreciated!

I am looking for something cheap as I am rather utilitarian when living on my own. That is why the RTO/Fixer Upper entered my mind -- it was cheaper than renting, something that I would be making an investment in, and something to eat up time! Unfortunately it ends up eating up money too, which is counter to my intent. I wasn't really considering it for a rental, but rather a flip when I am done OR somewhere for us to land if the family ends up moving down there.

I am debating if I want to try to make a short trip down there in the midst of all the pandemic. The extended stay may be an option in lieu of that.

Do realtors offer any services like this (searching for rentals for out of town clients)? (This is one area my knowledge is limited in. We used a friend when we bought our house and didn't do any searching -- we had actually been watching the house for a while.)
Old 05-15-20, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From what I am seeing online, I can't say that rent (for apartments) seems much cheaper. That is why I am trying to find a different approach. I know the types of places that the "big" websites drive you to (live in one for a while when I moved here, big mistake).

I've been looking at the local news sites, but classifieds are all but dead these days.
Old 05-15-20, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll chime in to say that I would take the same approach that tasha99 recommended.

Find a place to stay that you aren't tied down to for the long term. This allows you to not only put your own eyes on the place you'd want to live long term but also get a feel for the neighborhood. The last thing you want is to find the perfect apartment, rent it without seeing it and moving in to find out that it's in a shitty neighborhood.
Deftones (05-15-20)
Old 05-15-20, 02:14 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 79 Posts

Can't say I know anyone that's had to travel that far to set up a new life, sorry! But good luck!!

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Do realtors offer any services like this (searching for rentals for out of town clients)? (This is one area my knowledge is limited in. We used a friend when we bought our house and didn't do any searching -- we had actually been watching the house for a while.)
It's definitely a service that exists, so it wouldn't hurt to ask them. There may be some additional fees involved, but in these times maybe you can negotiate that away.
As others have said, setting foot in a place really makes all the difference. I ended up looking at ~15 homes, and easily 2/3 of them were non-starters. They either smelled bad (smoke, wet dog, cat piss... you name it) or had damage that didn't show in the deceptive photographs.

It sounds like doing the extended stay thing is the right bet right now. Get yourself there, check things out, and make a decision with some better insight. It'll be worth it.

And seriously, good luck! Whatever happens, it'll be quite an experience!
cultshock (05-15-20)
Old 05-15-20, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When we moved the 4700 miles up here we arranged a month-to-month rental duplex over the phone/internet and stayed there for 5 months until we found a house we wanted to buy.

Good luck on your adventure!
Old 05-15-20, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Do realtors offer any services like this (searching for rentals for out of town clients)?
Definitely, this is certainly something I would look into. And right now, most places will bend over backwards for some business, try to work this to your advantage. Good luck with everything!