Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

has anyone here had someone who is catholic in their family cremated?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 05-07-20, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Mom passed away on Sunday early am. And I know for a fact she wanted to be cremated so she could be her husband up at
Punchbowl Cemetery. My step-father's oldest son even made her a earn & sent it to her a few years ago. My brother & his wife who
we all live in the same house say they are bury her in a casket. Which basically means she won't be able to be with her husband.
Old 05-07-20, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: has anyone here had someone who is catholic in their family cremated?

You have my condolences.

My parents were Catholic. My dad was cremated. My mom wanted to donate her body to science, which means that afterward it gets cremated. Because of Coronavirus, the university wasn't taking any bodies, so she was cremated immediately.

They both put their wishes in writing. I home your mom did too.
Old 05-07-20, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

I had to look it up. Punchbowl Cemetery is the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific, for veterans. They have strict rules about who is allowed to be buried there. Spouses can be buried in the same grave.

https://www.cem.va.gov/cems/nchp/nmcp.asp
Old 05-08-20, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
You have my condolences.

My parents were Catholic. My dad was cremated. My mom wanted to donate her body to science, which means that afterward it gets cremated. Because of Coronavirus, the university wasn't taking any bodies, so she was cremated immediately.

They both put their wishes in writing. I home your mom did too.
My father has already made arrangements to donate his body to The University of Hawaii. When he passed away we called and they came by & picked up his body. It took almost 2 years before we got back his ashes. His oldest son from his
first marriage made a Urn out of Koa Wood. My dad use to always say he never made it to college so this was his way to do it. Once his urn with the ashes was brought back to my Mom's house she found she could not keep the ahes there.
So we were able to get him into Punchbowl Cemetery. He was in the Navy.
Old 05-08-20, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not sure what you are asking about Catholics and cremation, but cremation was not allowed in the Catholic faith until 1963. It is allowed today and a priest can perform a ceremony and blessing over the ashes. The Church prefers that the ashes be kept in a "sacred place" as opposed to the scattering of ashes or being kept in an urn at home.

My wife (who was a Catholic) was cremated three years ago and her ashes (in an urn) were taken to the Philippines where they were interred in a Catholic cemetery.
Old 05-08-20, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't know why your brother would go against your Mother's stated wishes. Is he the eldest, and that's why he gets to decide?

Either way, your mother and her husband can still be together in spirit. She can be with whoever she wants to be with. It will just be odd visiting the graves separately (if your family does that)

Funerals and their arrangements are for the people left behind. We want to see people we knew in life as a couple buried in the same plot, because we are used to thinking of them together. It's comfortable for us. But, nobody "lives" at the cemetery. The physical location of the remains does not reflect the spiritual location of the soul.

I still think your brother is being a jerk, but it won't harm your Mom.
Old 05-08-20, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm with the Missus.

My mom's ashes are scattered in Lake Superior, except for a few of them that are kept in an urn in my china cabinet. She died in 2004. I like to imagine her sometimes reanimating from out of the lake and going on a rampage like Fruma-sara in "Fiddler on the Roof," except instead of shrieking "TEVYE!" she'll be shrieking "TRUMP? WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU ASSHOLES THINKING?"
Old 05-08-20, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

P.S. I think there are still a few religions that frown on cremation, but other than Orthodox Jews I can't think of any others.
Old 05-08-20, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My dad was Catholic and we had him cremated. Pretty sure no religion has the power to stop the next of kin from deciding how to handle the body of the deceased. I don't even recall the crematorium even asking what his religious affiliation was before they performed their services.