Reload this Page >

COVID-19 & Education Thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 05-04-20, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,344 Likes on 832 Posts

I have been considering starting a thread like this for a while. As what was once an extended Spring Break has turned (mostly) into a lost 4th Quarter, figured a conversation thread was warranted now.

I am really concerned by the huge deficit so many will have in their education this year. My son is struggling with the math he is supposed to be doing in his distance learning. He isn't much for reading and figuring it out, he needs the classroom setting to absorb the instruction. And our school system certainly wasn't set up for distance learning in any meaningful way.

My daughter only had like a month of her second semester in college (She was studying in Florence, Italy and was sent home mid-February). Her Freshman year education is pretty much in the toilet, she's getting some classes, but certainly not what we wanted from the school. And I have no idea if she will have on-site classes in New York City in August. I kind of doubt it. I have no idea what to do for her -- if she is going to be online in the Fall, there's no reason to pay massive NYU tuition for that.

I am also really concerned about Medical School education. Third Year students get all sorts of experiences their third year. That is when they rotate through Medicine, Surgery, OB/Gyn, Pediatrics, and Psychiatry and decide which field they were interested in. Now they won't have some of those rotations.

My friend is graduating from Law School and apparently the Nevada State Bar is considering letting that graduating class may be given their law license without even taking the Bar, which seems like a bad idea to me. Of course standardized testing is becoming a problem all over the education system. Nobody really knows what to do because it's impossible to keep people from cheating if they're being tested on their home computer.
Old 05-04-20, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 192 Posts
Re: COVID-19 & Education Thread

My kids are younger (11 and 14) but I have been worried myself. There's talk of a "Covid slide" that will probably affect many students, especially those at younger ages at which a lot of important concepts involving math and language are normally learned. My 14 year old son is ok so far, he's really bright and has no problem working independently, but my daughter is struggling. Some kids really depend on the face to face interaction with teachers and the immersive aspect of in class learning.

But yeah, college age students will be really impacted as well, I didn't think about the complications involved with med students.
Old 05-04-20, 03:23 PM
Premium Member

Received 284 Likes on 228 Posts

We're going to need a Covid-19 subforum.
Old 05-04-20, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
We're going to need a Covid-19 subforum.
Can we spare the space, considering we have other important subforums like "Political Film".
The following 2 users liked this post by cultshock:
Nesbit (05-05-20), The Bus (05-20-20)
Old 05-04-20, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 559 Likes on 435 Posts

I was thinking undergrad in college, especially the early years, would be the least impacted: so much is independent study and the discipline to do your work without constantly being checked by your teacher. Upper level and grad school may be a different story, especially research based ones or situations where you have to be hands on in a lab.

For school age, younger kids can probably catch up ok, but upper middle and high school are going to be tough because that just cannonballs all the way back down.
Old 05-04-20, 03:34 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 162 Likes on 122 Posts

Have any colleges announced how they will be handling summer school and the fall?

Will campuses be opening up or will it all be distance learning?
Old 05-04-20, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Have any colleges announced how they will be handling summer school and the fall?

I've heard nothing. Zilch. They're just trying to make it through this year. And now it's getting too late to even switch to a local University if they don't plan on being open in the Fall. I seriously resent getting charged over $50K a year in tuition and getting a worse educational experience than the University of Phoenix.

How are incoming Freshmen supposed to commit to a College or University if they don't even know if it will be open in the Fall? Does anyone have a kid entering college in 2020? What are you doing?
Old 05-04-20, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 169 Likes on 94 Posts

The University of Washington, which was one of the first universities to shutter and go to online classes, says it's reopening some classes in the fall.

My kids are really struggling right now. My youngest son needs a lot of hands-on help with math, but both parents are working while he's trying to do his work, and frankly, we're terrible teachers. I feel like he's moving backward with his skills
Old 05-04-20, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts

We had some trouble with our 7th grader. The district has had laptops for the kids for years, so they were able to transition to learning from home pretty easily. He was getting online and doing the stuff but a couple weeks ago he started to slide and we got an email from the school because he hadn't turned in anything for more than a week. It's not critical stuff, they're only counting the grades if they would improve their overall grade, and he's consistently gotten honor roll for a few years now.
But the wife and I were both working in the living room and so we let him work from his room and we weren't checking on him. So we kinda had to reset our ourselves and make sure all of us our on our toes. Even I was slipping at work, I was getting my emails done but wasn't doing the extra stuff I would be doing at work. Not critical stuff, but tasks that keep data fresh in my head so I understand what's happening a little better with my company.

My wife's contract ended so she's out of a job for now. We're okay on money (that 'rona money helped) so she doesn't have to get anything right away, but she's at that age where she doesn't feel right not working.

Overall we're very lucky. My company was able to get all of us working from home worldwide and my kid's school district has laptops for almost all the kids. But I know there's a lot of kids without good internet access and that has to change. I think we should move to making basic internet access a utility and it should be in every home. Taxpayers paid for the DARPA net research, we should reap the benefit of the world wide web.

Old 05-04-20, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 351 Likes on 218 Posts

My 16-year old son has always been independent and is doing well. My kids already had iPads from the school and are used to doing a lot of assignments online. My 14-year old daughter is doing okay but the cracks really started to show last week. She is much better working with teachers and talking things through in a classroom setting. She was As across the board and was proud of it - even though they are being very forgiving right now, I can tell she doesn't feel like she's progressing at all. It's a tough time too, she's going into high school next year, whatever that ends up looking like. It's scary stuff.
Old 05-04-20, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 368 Likes on 268 Posts

I've been bragging that my two girls (13 & 15) have been amazing. I have literally had zero to do in the "teaching" department. I'll check in to make sure things are getting done, but they get up in the am and get right to it.

That being said, I jinxed myself the other day. I was discussing this exact topic with someone at work when my oldest texted almost in the middle of that conversation that she needed help with math. She's in Algebra 2 but she got 3 pages of geometry, which she's never had, and trig. So needless to say I had some homework that night. Geometry comes easy to me and I was decent at trig back in the day, but that "day" was probably 30 years ago. I had some re-learning to do.

My wife never had trig but once I got things working in my brain again, and taught them both, she loved it. She thought it was like solving a puzzle.
Old 05-04-20, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

My son is 10 years old and is in the 4th grade. He is attending a private elementary school which follows the county schools' lead when it comes to weather or pandemic. So when the state schools announced they were closing, ours did the same.

Fortunately, we got him his own laptop last year so he wouldn't use ours. He gets several different kinds of assignments. Some are done with web-learning sites. Some we have to download and print; he fills them in, and we scan them and upload back to a server. A few are Word documents he downloads, fills-in and re-uploads. The class also had a couple of informal Zoom sessions each week.

Starting this week, they've become a lot more serious about making sure the kids are getting the work done. His class has Zoom sessions four days a week. Two of those days have two sessions. If a student misses a video session, it is considered an absence.

Last edited by Kevin Phillips; 05-04-20 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-04-20, 05:25 PM
Banned

If I was a college undergrad at a school that costs big bucks I would be 100% be exploring putting my status on hold and enrolling at a junior college or state college. No fucking justification for spending big bucks when it’s all on Zoom. All that big bucks is about the gorgeous libraries, the football, the collaboration and school spirit.
Old 05-04-20, 05:29 PM
Banned

As I shared before in a couple threads my 3rd grader was in the worst class this year. Inexperienced teacher, no classroom management skills. Wretched group of kids. Extreme immaturity, punching, sharing pictures of mutilated animals online, violent video games being allowed to be played. One boy called my daughter trash. It’s been an absolute wrestling match with the principal. My daughter has been one of the few Covid 19 winners. Not having to be in the same room as all those little shits every day is a blessing.

My 6th grader is very diligent and this technology was already being implemented so the transition has been very smooth.
Old 05-04-20, 05:31 PM

Everyone : How much schooling do your kids have online daily? My kids - it's only like an hour or two.
Old 05-04-20, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 169 Likes on 94 Posts

My 8th grader is getting slammed with work right now: 6-8 hours a day, which is ridiculous considering he has very little interaction with his teacher. I wonder if he'd get a better education watching youtube videos all day.

The youngest has much less work, but his teacher just admitted most of the assignments she gives out are not important. It's a district-wide curriculum she's following. She just wants him to focus on his math lessons and read lots of books.
Old 05-04-20, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm a professor in the University of Georgia system. Summer is all online. No one knows what will happen in the Fall. I'm cautiously optimistic for getting some form of face-to-face education back in the Fall. The huge lecture rooms are the ones I have trouble seeing running ... fortunately I don't teach any class with more than 50 students (though that may be too much). I'm expecting some kind of compromised situation in the Fall. Like "hybrid" classes, which are a mix of online and face-to-face when you only meet for half the lecture time (and labs are held like normal). Or maybe trying to split up any class over a certain size (much harder for the huge classes, but it's better than nothing). Since research is small groups anyone, I'm hoping that goes back to normal (my field is biology).

I do understand how students paying mega-bucks for an online education aren't happy. It's not really an issue for me, working at a state school ... if anything, maybe we'll get a bump in enrollment from students transferring from pricey private schools. That bump hasn't happened yet. Our enrollment is way down for the Fall (as is the case for all colleges). And I just got a message (that went out to all employees) to brace ourselves for how the state is going to make up a 14% budget deficit. While my job is secure, I fully expect at least a 10% pay cut for next academic year (either by direct salary cut, imposed furloughs, or benefits cuts).

College students are different from grade schoolers. But at least for me, we've all gotten by. I feared that many students would just drop out or start failing everything. While there were a couple like that (and that always happens in a semester to some in a normal semester) most students were able to either maintain or improve their grades. I'm erring on the side of being too easy this semester and being super-flexible with lateness (as long as its done eventually).
Old 05-04-20, 06:42 PM

My daughter got royally screwed because as her teachers are in Italy, they have her classes at 6:30 AM PT. She is most certainly not a morning person and is having a very hard time getting anything out of it, or even getting up to go. It would be nice if they did the classes later, like Noon ET/9A PT but that would already be the evening and the teachers don't want to hold class at that time, which I do understand.
Old 05-04-20, 07:03 PM
Banned

Those teaches are disgrazian!!!! They could easily do it at like 4:00 pm in Italy and it would be much easier on your daughter. They’re probably drunk by 4:00 🤣

Last edited by Mabuse; 05-05-20 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-04-20, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 368 Likes on 268 Posts

1-2 hours for the 10th grader.
3-4 hours for the 8th grader

The 10th grader says her teachers are lazy which is why she doesn't have much. She wouldn't mind more but it is what it is I guess. She's in two art classes and those would be super easy to assign stuff but it's not happening.

I'm curious about the workload compared to normal. You figure the teacher doesn't have to slow down for the kids not paying attention or disruptions from troublemakers. Work should take a lot less time at home.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 05-04-20 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-04-20, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My kids all all grown ass adults, but I do have grandkids but only one was in school. Head start, but it was still something she loved to attend every day.
They sent home a really nice kit last week for her and I thought that was awesome of the district to do.
Old 05-04-20, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 559 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
1-2 hours for the 10th grader.
3-4 hours for the 8th grader

The 10th grader says her teachers are lazy which is why she doesn't have much. She wouldn't mind more but it is what it is I guess. She's in two art classes and those would be super easy to assign stuff but it's not happening.

I'm curious about the workload compared to normal. You figure the teacher doesn't have to slow down for the kids not paying attention or disruptions from troublemakers. Work should take a lot less time at home.
I'm sure this doesn't apply to every situation but teachers have to straddle a fine line. Especially for younger grades (so maybe grade 10, not so much) they cannot assign too much homework. Why? Because it takes parental involvement. So what happens when a kid has two parents who are essential workers, or otherwise don't have the time or capacity (multiple kids, etc.) to help them out? In my district, early on there was a ton of homework, and you know what happened? There were a ton of parent complaints that they were pushing the kids too hard, parents didn't have the time to help with all this homework, etc.

Also, there's no flunking. So what do you do if someone hasn't logged in and done their work? You cannot penalize them for a number of reasons. And this is with a district that has agreed to distribute ipads/laptops and has made available a program for low income families to have an internet connection. I see it in my kids' classes, zoom attendance for the curriculum has dropped and it's only like every other day, people just don't show up.
Old 05-04-20, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My 6th grade daughter spends about 3 hours a day on school related things. Itís going ok but not ideal. I just donít think the drive to learn and achieve is very high. She says she doesnít want to miss any questions but when itís all pass/fail and participation based sheís not caring as much. I see her point. Itís like that saying ďA good employee is only going to work as hard as the bad employee if he realizes there is no risk/rewardĒ. I try to tell her to take pride in doing the best she can anyway, but not many 11 year olds are motivated by that. I think sheís just bored. Itís like having 3 hours of homework everyday and nobody likes homework.

I really hope things return to a somewhat normal schooling this fall.
Old 05-05-20, 02:09 AM

Received 364 Likes on 222 Posts

We have a Kindergartner pre-reader and a 2nd Grader high-level reader. The first is tough because she needs extra help from us because of written instructions, plus her teacher is just plain not good at the technology, it's a bummer. The second is tough because she has really lost her motivation to do her beat work and is taking all of this pretty hard. The tech is good but the interface is slow. And you never realize how mediocre your tablets are until you try to take blurry photos of assignments with crappy built-in cameras, but we don't have money for better tablets now. School sent an iPad with a huge crack in the glass and no protective case.

I work with some teens and many of them are taking this hard. The seniors are feeling both solidarity and "it is what it is" and being crushed. Truly, they're going to get a lot out of this experience but with some heavy mental toll along the way, I think. I can't imagine what dating for young people is like now in all of this, ugh.

We are both working from home and trying to balance. My spouse is a critical employee for the state and I'm the boss but the only employee with kids at home. People don't always understand why it's easier to email at night than the morning. Our bio-rhythms are completely messed up.l as a family. I'm essentially going nonstop and still behind. It breaks my heart to see my kids worry and/or feel unenthusiastic about school. They love school, now it's a chore. Tomorrow I have a meeting with our HR and will set up some vacation so I can basically help my kids with their schoolwork and get some real sleep.
Old 05-05-20, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts

I'm doing my best to feel sympathetic to the kids that miss school, but it's really hard for me to really sympathize as I fucking hated it after about 4th grade.

One time, around 7th grade or so, I was sitting at the bus stop and dozed off, to be awakened by my mom who had walked out there to get me and told me the school had been burned. At that moment, I felt one of the most purest moments of joy in my life.

It was only partially burnt, and we were back in after a few weeks out, but I've never forgotten that and now that my kid is in school (we homeschooled for the first few grades), I always try to be sympathetic to how he's dealing with it.

So, I know that some kids are bothered by not being at school with their friends and stuff and we're hearing about those kids, but we don't seem to be hearing from kids that are feeling safter at home and what needs to change at schools to help those kids when we re-open everything.

Last edited by milo bloom; 05-05-20 at 09:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mabuse (05-05-20)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.