Reload this Page >

Untitled grundle COVID-19 thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 03-19-20, 05:09 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

In the U.S., irrational panic over COVID-19 will probably prevent thousands of people from dying from the flu.
The following users liked this post:
DVD Polizei (04-08-20)
Old 03-19-20, 05:12 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 166 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
In the U.S., irrational panic over COVID-19 will probably prevent thousands of people from dying from the flu.
Holy shit.

HOLY SHIT.

I... I...
I agree!

(except the 'irrational' bit... But ya can't win all the time...)

Spoiler:

Old 03-19-20, 05:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Franchot, check the tweet just posted in the political covid thread, Newsome just predicted 25.5 million in CA will be infected in 8 weeks. That may just be extrapolating from a pool of data that's too small and taken before we did what we did, but still nobody thinks it'll be over soon.

It's possible that most of the U.S. population has already been infected, but hasn't gotten sick, and so hasn't gotten tested.

The death rate is calculated by dividing the number of people who die by the number who are infected. So far they're saying that it's a few percent.

But while we do have accurate information about the numerator, we really have no idea what the denominator is. It's possible that the real denominator is magnitudes bigger than what is being reported, because most infected people have no symptoms, and thus, don't get tested. If this is indeed the case, then it's possible that the real death rate is far, far lower than the few per cent that is being reported.

I absolutely positively do not understand why no one bats an eye when 10,000 people die from the flu, but the very same people got all hysterical after a few dozen people died from COVID-19.

And how many of these people who panicked after a few dozen people died from COVID-19 didn't get a flu shot? How many of them don't wear a seat belt? How many of them smoke cigarettes?

Maybe it's my Asperger's, maybe it's my love of math, maybe it's my preference for facts over emotion, but whatever it is, I do not understand the double standard regarding the flu and COVID-19.
Old 03-19-20, 05:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post

In situations like that, my own personal preference is to use a regular amount of toilet paper, and then take a shower.
DVD Polizei (03-24-20)
Old 03-19-20, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

But while we do have accurate information about the numerator, we really have no idea what the denominator is. It's possible that the real denominator is magnitudes bigger than what is being reported, because most infected people have no symptoms, and thus, don't get tested. If this is indeed the case, then it's possible that the real death rate is far, far lower than the few per cent that is being reported.
Yes, I agree with your analysis.
Old 03-19-20, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Maybe it's my Asperger's, maybe it's my love of math, maybe it's my preference for facts over emotion, but whatever it is, I do not understand the double standard regarding the flu and COVID-19.
For someone who claims to love math and facts, you're apparently ignoring a lot of readily available math and facts that make it obvious why COVID-19 is dramatically more dangerous than the seasonal flu.
Old 03-19-20, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 247 Likes on 185 Posts

I absolutely positively do not understand why no one bats an eye when 10,000 people die from the flu, but the very same people got all hysterical after a few dozen people died from COVID-19.
[...]
Since you like math so much...

In a nutshell: It's more virulent than the flu, has a longer incubation period, and a higher fatality rate. The 10x higher hospitalization rate means that it can quickly overwhelm our healthcare system, requiring more manpower, equipment, and hospital beds than we currently have to give.

And, unlike the flu, there is no vaccine and no herd immunity.
kefrank (03-19-20)
Old 03-19-20, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

You've been quite clear about this and I don't think any amount of reasoning will make you change your mind. So I ask you this, where has your outrage over flu deaths been, for the last two decades of this board's life?
Old 03-19-20, 07:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Franchot View Post
I'm in LA county and it "appears" today that several mayors and health officials are going to put a "shelter in place" mandate like the one in San Francisco for Los Angeles county.

While, I'm sheltering in place, I'll put together a group of 10 well-known individuals who have tested positive for the coronoavirus and watch as they progress to a recovered status or to something less favorable. My skeptical mind says 90% or more of my group will reach a recovered status.

My group:

Tom Hanks, Rita Wilson, Idris Elba, Rudy Gobert, Donavan Mitchell, Kevin Durant, Andrew Watt, Prince Albert II, Sophie Gregoire Trudeau, John D'Amico (West Hollywood mayor)

--Without proper testing, I don't think we will have a proper analysis of how deadly (or not) the coronavirus is.

That's a great idea.

An even bigger sample size is with theDiamond Princess cruise ship:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_c...amond_Princess

2020 coronavirus pandemic on cruise ships

Diamond Princess

Tested: 3,618

Confirmed: 696

Deaths: 7
Old 03-19-20, 09:10 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 72 Posts

That's a great idea.

An even bigger sample size is with theDiamond Princess cruise ship:
If you want a big sample. pick China with 81 K confirmed cases, or the whole world with 250 K. Why choose a cruise ship with its own specific conditions and population?
Old 03-20-20, 12:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
If you want a big sample. pick China with 81 K confirmed cases, or the whole world with 250 K. Why choose a cruise ship with its own specific conditions and population?

Because on the cruise ship, everyone was tested, not just people with symptoms.

And to quote myself from an earlier post:

It's possible that most of the U.S. population has already been infected, but hasn't gotten sick, and so hasn't gotten tested.

The death rate is calculated by dividing the number of people who die by the number who are infected. So far they're saying that it's a few percent.

The cruise ship is the only scenario where the denominator is accurate, because everyone on the cruise ship was tested.
Old 03-20-20, 01:20 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Because on the cruise ship, everyone was tested, not just people with symptoms.

And to quote myself from an earlier post:

The cruise ship is the only scenario where the denominator is accurate, because everyone on the cruise ship was tested.
Data from the cruise ship, no matter how complete it was, was representative of nothing more than just that cruise ship, with its specific configuration, population and the way they were quarantined. It doesn't say anything of the real world in any country.

And these numbers matter little now. We can all see what Covid-19 can do to people health and national economy. Keep yourself happy playing with numerators and denominators.
Old 03-20-20, 08:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Franchot View Post
Newsom's newest mandate might be helpful in slowing the spread the virus (I guess that is what he is shooting for, so that the hospitals aren't overrun with patients), but until everyone is tested in the state, the virus will just continue to expand.

Those people out and about doing their jobs and those people who are sheltered at home and merely visiting the supermarket or other services, can pick up the virus and spread the virus if this chart is accurate:

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...graphic-2020-3

People aren't going to be walking around in hazmat suits.
It seems to me that a supermarket would be a far more effective way to spread the virus than a movie theater. At the supermarket, you touch lots of things that have been touched by lots of other people, and you bump into lots of other people. Whereas at a movie theater, you're just sitting in your chair most of the time. As long as people are going to the supermarket anyway, I don't see any point in keeping movie theaters closed.
Old 03-20-20, 08:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
Man that visited Walt Disney World and Universal dies of COVID-19.

He was 34

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/...versal-orlando

It says he

was considered a higher-risk patient with a history of asthma and childhood bronchitis. He also had undergone testicular cancer surgery in 2016.

It seems that almost everyone who has died from this already had at least one kind of potentially fatal comorbidity.

Very, very few people who die have COVID-19 as their only serious illness.
Old 03-20-20, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 332 Likes on 255 Posts

It seems to me that a supermarket would be a far more effective way to spread the virus than a movie theater. At the supermarket, you touch lots of things that have been touched by lots of other people, and you bump into lots of other people. Whereas at a movie theater, you're just sitting in your chair most of the time. As long as people are going to the supermarket anyway, I don't see any point in keeping movie theaters closed.
This is bait, right?

On a side note we were talking about scalpers in one of the threads. At least Costco won't let them return items (though I think there will be a shortage for some time so the scalpers will probably still make money):
Old 03-20-20, 09:22 AM
Banned

This is bait, right?

No, it's not bait. I'm completely serious.

Also, I'd be curious to hear what sociologists, economists, statisticians, actuaries, etc., think about the potential increase in suicide and drug addiction due to all the unemployment that is being caused by shutting so many things down. How likely is it that these shutdowns could actually end up causing more deaths than they prevent?

I know this sounds cold, but for actuarial purposes, the average human life is valued at approximately $7 million dollars, and it's certainly possible that these shutdowns are causing more harm than good. Even if there were no extra deaths due to suicide and drug addiction, it's still very harmful for people to have to skip their jobs, school, etc. If each life that gets saved costs $20 million in lost productivity, then a cold-hearted person such as myself could argue that it caused more harm than good, even if there was no increase in suicide or drug addiction. I would be perfectly happy to volunteer my own city (Pittsburgh, PA) for an experiment where movie theaters, bowling alleys, etc., would all remain open, and then compare the effects on my city to all the cities where things were shut down.

We didn't shut everything down when 10,000 people died from the flu. Someone, somewhere, decided that it would be better to keep the movie theaters, bowling alleys, etc., open. That was a very cold hearted decision, but it was based on a large number of professionals who ran the numbers, and decided to do it.

Last edited by grundle; 03-20-20 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-20-20, 10:14 AM
Banned

Singapore has been repeatedly praised for its successful actions at limiting the spread of the virus.

Singapore's schools have not been closed.

This is an opinion column, but it's written by an expert in the field, and was published by the New York Times. I happen to agree with it. If anyone here disagrees with it, I'd be curious to hear your reason(s) for your disagreement.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/10/o...l-closing.html

Opinion

We Don’t Need to Close Schools to Fight the Coronavirus

Shutdowns could likely do more harm than good, since there’s little evidence that children are a major source of the spread.

By Jennifer Nuzzo

Dr. Nuzzo is a senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security.

March 10, 2020

Facing an accelerating spread of Covid-19, Italy and Japan have closed schools to impede the epidemic. Some communities in the United States have done so too, agreeing to significantly disrupt people’s lives on the theory that it will prevent deaths and serious illness.

But there is no clear evidence that such measures will slow this outbreak.

Most of what we know about the impact of school closings on disease transmission relates to influenza, to which children can be particularly vulnerable, sometimes dying or becoming seriously ill from it.

Children are important drivers of influenza infections because they have more interactions with people than do most adults and also give off more of the virus. Closing schools, it is assumed, reduces the number of contacts and thus the rate of transmission.

During the 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic, schools across the country were closed. A C.D.C. study showed that parents largely supported these measures, but other studies found that children frequently got together outside the home or visited public sites, despite official recommendations not to do so. Fortunately, schools reopened in less than three days in most cases because data showed the flu strain wasn’t as severe as had been feared.

Still, some evidence suggests that these measures didn’t reduce the number of infections and only slowed the spread — although that could help reduce burdens on health systems.

That’s influenza, though. Covid-19 is different.

There have been very few reports of children contracting Covid-19. It’s not clear why. It’s possible that children do get infected, but so mildly that it is not noticed or tested.

If children don’t experience severe illness from or contribute to the spread of Covid-19 — and so far we have found no clear evidence that they do — it’s likely that school closings will have little effect on its spread.

Not all affected countries have closed schools. Singapore, which has been heralded for its response to Covid-19, decided that closing schools would do more harm than good. Political leaders and health officials there have addressed concerns about Covid-19 through clear, consistent and transparent communications about their response to the virus.

If schools remain open, officials could enact measures to limit any potential spread among children and staff. All students could be checked daily for fever, a possible sign of Covid-19 infection. Even more attention should be given to hand washing and reminding children not to touch their faces. Children should be taught to sneeze into their sleeves. Schools can consider changing seating arrangements to keep children six feet apart. As the weather warms, lessons can be taken outside, if possible.

Nonetheless, government officials may feel pressure to close schools. For true effectiveness, schools need to close before even 1 percent of the population is infected and they need to stay closed until the epidemic is over, which could mean months. Children couldn’t gather in other settings, which would be very difficult to enforce.

If schools close, child care programs will likely close too and working parents may have to stay home to watch their children. Health care and critical infrastructure workers would not be able to do their jobs for the same reason. Those parents may not be paid, which would be a tremendous hardship. States would have to consider expanding unemployment benefits and help employers to allow workers to stay home if needed.

Communities would need to feed and educate children while they are out of school. Closing schools can interrupt social services like programs that provide lunches to more 30 million children and breakfast to 11 million. For some children, including homeless youth, schools can be the safest place and denying these children access may deny them much needed support, even something as basic as a place to wash their clothes.

Children will need to continue learning. Interruptions in education can profoundly harm child development and make it harder to reduce the achievement gap between high- and low-income families. Schools may consider online education as an alternative but need to ensure that all families have access to the technologies required for these approaches.

If schools close, knowing when to reopen them would be difficult. To have any public health impact, school closings would have to be maintained for the duration of the epidemic.

State and local governments will have to clearly explain the reasons for closing schools and how they would decide to reopen them so parents and employers can plan how to manage daily routines.

Above all, officials need to be honest about what is known and what isn’t about the impact of these measures.

Though there may be an inclination to present school closings as a well-established tool to protect public health, their full impact is simply unknown.

Downplaying the disruption these measures may cause or overstating their benefits can erode public confidence in government at a time when it is needed the most.

Jennifer Nuzzo is a senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security and an associate professor at the university’s school of public health.

Last edited by grundle; 03-20-20 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-20-20, 11:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
Until we know if children are spreading it without showing symptoms, schools should be closed.They have the worst hygiene. They will contaminate everything. Not worth the risk right now.

What you're saying seems to make perfect sense.

And yet Singapore, one of the most successful countries at containing the spread of the virus, has left its schools open.

Old 03-20-20, 11:31 AM
Banned

So she admits she doesn't know whether children get covid-19 because they usually don't show symptoms, and she admits that there's no evidence either way that they spread the virus, we should leave schools open? Yeah that's ok for an opinion piece. I'm surprised they can't do any testing on this but maybe using children in a study is off base? You'd think one way or another we'd know by now. But I'm fine with taking drastic measures until we know.

This part is laughable:

One, that's spoken like someone that doesn't have kids or has never dealt with a class full of kids. Two, if they are infectious and you check for fever and then send the kid home, it's too late, isn't it?

Those are all good points.

And I will add that telling children at school to stay six feet apart is insane.

I also think that doctors telling parents to tell their children not to touch their own face could potentially lead to psychological/mental health problems for the children later in life.

All that being said, I can't argue against the real world success that Singapore has had at containing the virus, all while keeping its schools open.
Old 03-20-20, 11:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Schools need to be closed. Period. They can have the virus and not have noticeable symptoms, then infect their household which normally has at least one elderly person commonly around the home. The numbers in Italy are so bad is because about 90% of the deaths...are elderly; like over 65 and who smoke and have COPD or similar issues.

The West Coast should be Stay At Home. All of it. Not just California. The West Coast is a festering hotbed which will move East at a high rate if not contained. California's gov get's it and was probably told by the CDC as we're finding out things.
Those are all good points. And I especially agree with your comment about the people in Italy.

And yet I am still curious to know how Singapore managed to be so successful at containing the spread of the virus while keeping their schools open.
Old 03-20-20, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Singapore is a tiny little island nation. Comparing it to the US is crazy.
True, but there are some differences regardless of size differences of the countries, and the US needs to embrace what Singapore has seemed to accomplished. I responded to grundle about them.

Those are all good points. And I especially agree with your comment about the people in Italy.

And yet I am still curious to know how Singapore managed to be so successful at containing the spread of the virus while keeping their schools open.
From what I understand, Singapore didn't let their infected patients back into the community (US hospitals were turning people away who were positive but not confirmed), they have a system where you have to SMS your location which should be at home if told to self-isolate (your phone is your GPS ankle bracelet per se), and basically they were paying attention to the virus back in December while the US and the rest of the world was more preoccupied with politics, which defocused efforts for two months or more.

Singapore seems to be more technologically aware of their patients, can track them better, and the people there just take their medical community more seriously than here in the US, where n the US... if a doc tells somebody to stay home...that person...on their "way home"...will go shopping at a crowded grocery store, go in a restaurant to get take out (this actually happened).
Old 03-20-20, 12:31 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Singapore has been repeatedly praised for its successful actions at limiting the spread of the virus.

Singapore's schools have not been closed.

This is an opinion column, but it's written by an expert in the field, and was published by the New York Times. I happen to agree with it. If anyone here disagrees with it, I'd be curious to hear your reason(s) for your disagreement.
- If you want to compare effectiveness of response, compare the whole package. Don't pick out one thing such as school closing and say, why don't we copy that? Copy everything until you know better.

- Singapore and the US are in different stages of the outbreak (they don't have one). A more similar case is Italy that is in a major crisis now, and they shut down their schools. Why not talk about that but pick Singapore which doesn't have a problem?

- As other folks have mentioned, kids may not get sick or die from Covid-19 but they could pick up the virus and bring it home where it kills Grandma. That concern is not new.
kefrank (03-20-20)
Old 03-20-20, 12:53 PM

Received 438 Likes on 303 Posts

Man... grundle must be happy as a pig in shit that Groucho created this and to be able to get a sweet taste of these types of threads.
The following 3 users liked this post by dex14:
Dan (03-20-20), Franchot (03-20-20), VinVega (03-20-20)
Old 03-20-20, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 162 Likes on 87 Posts

Dude, you'd be sitting in a chair that multiple people sat in over several days -- would you trust a 16-year-old kid to properly sanitize it? The virus can live on hard surfaces for an estimated 3 days. And that doesn't take into account any droplets from fellow moviegoers that are floating around, ready to land in your eyes.
The following 2 users liked this post by funkyryno:
bunkaroo (03-20-20), kefrank (03-20-20)
Old 03-20-20, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

It seems that almost everyone who has died from this already had at least one kind of potentially fatal comorbidity.

Very, very few people who die have COVID-19 as their only serious illness.
That seems to be a pattern I'm seeing.

https://thehill.com/media/488617-nbc...irus-infection

A longtime employee of NBC News died after testing positive for coronavirus, the outlet reported Friday. Larry Edgeworth, a technician who worked in an equipment room at NBCUniversal’s headquarters in New York, died Thursday. He was 61.

He reportedly also suffered from other health issues.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.