Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Untitled grundle COVID-19 thread

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Untitled grundle COVID-19 thread

Old 03-20-20, 01:41 PM
  #26  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,823
Likes: 0
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
Isnít Singapore the place that wanted to cane (whip) that American teen years ago and it turned into an international incident but even with what...the President at the time getting involved he still ended up getting caned 4/5 times instead of 8-10 times? Singapore does not eff around but yeah, comparing Singapore to U.S. is not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

Yes.

And they have an impressively low crime rate.

If you can't do the cane, don't do the crime.

See how easy that is?

grundle is offline  
Old 03-20-20, 01:42 PM
  #27  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,823
Likes: 0
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
- If you want to compare effectiveness of response, compare the whole package. Don't pick out one thing such as school closing and say, why don't we copy that? Copy everything until you know better.

- Singapore and the US are in different stages of the outbreak (they don't have one). A more similar case is Italy that is in a major crisis now, and they shut down their schools. Why not talk about that but pick Singapore which doesn't have a problem?

- As other folks have mentioned, kids may not get sick or die from Covid-19 but they could pick up the virus and bring it home where it kills Grandma. That concern is not new.

If you're trying to argue against what I said about Singapore keeping its schools open, your comment about Italy doesn't help your case. It actually helps my case.
grundle is offline  
Old 03-20-20, 01:44 PM
  #28  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,823
Likes: 0
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
They also execute drug dealers. They executed 11 people in 2018 for drug-related crimes and 2 people for murder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capita...t_in_Singapore

Gee, it's too bad that there isn't some way for drug dealers to alter their behavior so they don't get executed.
grundle is offline  
Old 03-20-20, 01:48 PM
  #29  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,823
Likes: 0
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Man... grundle must be happy as a pig in shit that Groucho created this and to be able to get a sweet taste of these types of threads.

Yes.

But pigs don't like to be in shit. They roll in mud to cool down - they can't sweat.

grundle is offline  
Old 03-20-20, 01:51 PM
  #30  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,823
Likes: 0
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
Dude, you'd be sitting in a chair that multiple people sat in over several days -- would you trust a 16-year-old kid to properly sanitize it? The virus can live on hard surfaces for an estimated 3 days. And that doesn't take into account any droplets from fellow moviegoers that are floating around, ready to land in your eyes.

Even taking all of that into account, I still think you're more likely to get it at the supermarket than at the movie theater.


grundle is offline  
Old 03-20-20, 01:52 PM
  #31  
Psi
DVD Talk Legend
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,237
Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
If you're trying to argue against what I said about Singapore keeping its schools open, your comment about Italy doesn't help your case. It actually helps my case.
I don't need a logic lesson from you.
Psi is offline  
Old 03-20-20, 02:05 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 6,855
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
Even taking all of that into account, I still think you're more likely to get it at the supermarket than at the movie theater.
You have zero evidence to back up that claim. And even if it were true, it's irrelevant. Movie theaters are a likely scenario for transmission and completely non-essential and therefore should be closed. Supermarkets are essential for making food available to the public and therefore should be open, even if some transmission occurs there. I mean this sincerely and not in a condescending way - I know you're capable of the critical thinking required to understand these considerations.
kefrank is offline  
Old 03-20-20, 02:07 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 6,548
Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Iím finally off work so I probably wonít be on here as much. I really need a break from all this. Also canít format on the phone very well so canít quote.

Keep the thread separate. Thanks to slops post about the combo hydroxychloroquine/azithromycin our hospital is getting prepared to use this as a possible treatment. It could have gotten buried under all the increasing political bitching back and forth.

I think grundle and the opinion piece are sayin what Iíve been saying. These measures and closures are not benign and could and will Lead to deaths related to this outbreak. However, these measure are still necessary because we have no idea how this disease is going to behave. But it still needs to be considered in the calculation on what measures to implement. Itís definitely having a huge mental impact on society and weíve just started. Tensions are really high at the hospital and we havenít even seen our first case yet.

Last edited by tanman; 03-20-20 at 02:13 PM.
tanman is offline  
The following 5 users liked this post by tanman:
bunkaroo (03-20-20), Mabuse (03-20-20), mspmms (03-20-20), Norm de Plume (03-20-20), Psi (03-20-20)
Old 03-20-20, 02:20 PM
  #34  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,823
Likes: 0
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Kristol is a moron and again, looking for something spike a reader's interest. He should write for Hollywood. He's merely getting people, who are professionals unfortunately, to spread their own virus...FEAR.

By June/July, this is going to be over. Isolation is key. It seems we're getting a good idea of how to vaccinate people with proper treatments and it's only a matter of time before the production is ramped up.

But let's take Kristol's worst case scenario.

Over 600,000 people a year die already from heart disease alone. Another 600,000 die each year from most types of cancer.

Yes, we can manage just fine. The media doesn't hardly mention those two mortalities, which when combined...is 1.2 million deaths per year, which is Kristol's figure of CV19 deaths at the worst case scenario.

Nursing homes will have the highest vacancy ever, and prices to put your father or mother in a home...will also be the cheapest ever seen for quite some time due to that vacancy. America won't even notice the worst case scenario, if it ever happened. However, with the media hyping it the way it is...they'll make it sound like 100 million are dying, with trillions of cases, with possibilities of infecting potential life on Mars if they could get away with it--and they could.

The amount of people who die from non-related CV19 directly, but indirectly due to the bullshit spewed out by the media...is my main concern. The way social media works and how ignorant people are these days, our financials...as we've seen could drop to literally nothing in a month, and could have stores being overwhelmed by rioters and people who just have gotten out of control...all thanks to the greedy anchor with bleached teeth on your television.

EDIT: Article is 2.2 million worst case scenario. I read it as 1.2 million.

Until recently, I would have been totally shocked if the media had reported "trillions" of cases. However, since three different mainstream media people (an MSNBC reporter, a New York Times editorial board member, and a freelance writer for the Washington Post) all agreed with each other that one million divided by one million equals one million, I would no longer be surprised if they said there were "trillions" of cases.

I also think this panic could cause more deaths than it prevents. But those deaths will almost certainly never get reported by the media. Perhaps sociologists will eventually do a study on it.

Regarding the worst case scenario of 2.2 million: I don't think there's any real way to make such an accurate prediction. Why not 2.1 million or 2.3 million?

Last edited by grundle; 03-20-20 at 03:01 PM.
grundle is offline  
Old 03-20-20, 02:20 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 6,855
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
I think grundle and the opinion piece are sayin what Iíve been saying. These measures and closures are not benign and could and will Lead to deaths related to this outbreak. However, these measure are still necessary because we have no idea how this disease is going to behave. But it still needs to be considered in the calculation on what measures to implement. Itís definitely having a huge mental impact on society and weíve just started. Tensions are really high at the hospital and we havenít even seen our first case yet.
My wife and I had this discussion yesterday too. I wonder what this will do in the coming weeks to the general mental health of the country.
kefrank is offline  
Old 03-20-20, 02:25 PM
  #36  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,823
Likes: 0
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by chowderhead View Post
It is analogous to compressing all those 600k deaths into a span of 2-4 months instead of spreading out over 12 months. If you have hospitals overwhelmed with Covid19 patients all at once, then all those other people coming in for heart disease or gun shots or accidents may get subpar care and we would get even more deaths.
It's is all about not overwhelming medical services when doctors and nurses are ALREADY alarmed at the lack of PPE to begin with. We are at the tip of the spear here.

Speaking of gunshots, I thought this was hilarious:


https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020/...d-19-pandemic/

Baltimore Mayor Begs Residents To Stop Shooting Each Other So Hospital Beds Can Be Used For Coronavirus Patients
grundle is offline  
Old 03-20-20, 02:33 PM
  #37  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,823
Likes: 0
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
The biggest issue is getting respirators where they are needed. A gunshot would, depending on where it is (most are shot in the limbs from people who can't shoot worth a damn), won't need a respirator. They'll just need reality check on the company they keep.

I will agree, there is concern about hospitals getting "too many patients". That's ALWAYS been in the back of the minds of hospital operations for decades. And when overwhelmed to some degree during a flu season or even local tragedy event, there are protocols put in place.

I've been talking to our docs and nurses about an uncontrollable surge in ER, and we already have that trauma in place. It's already there, really, but just doesn't make it in the news because it's boring stuff. They do it everyday by prioritizing life-threatening injuries. That's what hospitals do. Only if you're elderly and literally cannot breath as you're stumbling into an ER, will get you a bed. Gunshot wounds...sorry, you'll be in pain for a while while others are treated, along with everyone else who does NOT have urgent respiratory issues. Now it's just including CV19 in that category of respiration urgency. Of course, blood loss is another priority but CV19 has nothing to do with blood loss and only some gunshots do, knife wounds, etc., but I hope you get my point.

The biggest thing, is turning morons away from ER when they don't need it, and having them call their doc's office for an appt. And around the country, we're getting a lot of it.

Yes, we're gonna hear, I can already foresee it, the media yelling about how people are being turned away for illnesses. Well, it's because those illnesses were not life-threatening but you probably won't see that part of the story covered. "Mr. Smith was turned away from Hospital X! The tragedy of the CV19 is here!" Little were we told Mr. Smith had a fucking hang nail, and thought that warranted an ER visit (true story by the way)..

If everyone just calms down a few thousand degrees, and uses a tad bit of logic, we can get through this in a few months. Listen to the media 24hrs a day and be a dumbass, we'll have problems for a while.

When a professional racecar drivers crashes and dies in a race, we don't count their death as part of the general total traffic fatalities.

Likewise, when a person chooses to join a gang, and they get shot and killed by another gang member, we shouldn't count their death as part of the general murder count.
grundle is offline  
Old 03-20-20, 02:35 PM
  #38  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,823
Likes: 0
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
You have zero evidence to back up that claim. And even if it were true, it's irrelevant. Movie theaters are a likely scenario for transmission and completely non-essential and therefore should be closed. Supermarkets are essential for making food available to the public and therefore should be open, even if some transmission occurs there. I mean this sincerely and not in a condescending way - I know you're capable of the critical thinking required to understand these considerations.

I understand your argument. And I don't take any personal offense.
grundle is offline  
Old 03-20-20, 05:52 PM
  #39  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,823
Likes: 0
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Check this out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E...tes_flu_season

2017–18 United States flu season

The 2017-2018 flu season was severe for all US populations and resulted in an estimated 959,000 hospitalizations and 61,099 deaths.

So just two years ago, more than 60,000 people in the U.S. died from the flu.

But not only was there no panic over it, I don't think I'd even heard that particular statistic until just now.

So what has changed in the past two years, to justify the current panic over something that, so far, hasn't even killed 1% of that number of people in the U.S.?

grundle is offline  
Old 03-20-20, 06:02 PM
  #40  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 1,879
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
Check this out:




So just two years ago, more than 60,000 people in the U.S. died from the flu.

But not only was there no panic over it, I don't think I'd even heard that particular statistic until just now.

So what has changed in the past two years, to justify the current panic over something that, so far, hasn't even killed 1% of that number of people in the U.S.?
Because in a bad year the flu kills .02% of those infected. This thing kills somewhere between 1% to 3% so thatís 5 to 15 times more dead and apparently it is not slowed down by warner humid air like the flue.

Last edited by Kdogg; 03-20-20 at 06:25 PM.
Kdogg is offline  
Old 03-20-20, 06:03 PM
  #41  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 17,240
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Cool, Grundle is here with some bullshit.
majorjoe23 is offline  
The following 4 users liked this post by majorjoe23:
Dan (03-20-20), Jaymole (03-21-20), Kurt D (03-20-20), scorpion (03-21-20)
Old 03-20-20, 06:51 PM
  #42  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 22,508
Received 198 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
Check this out:




So just two years ago, more than 60,000 people in the U.S. died from the flu.

But not only was there no panic over it, I don't think I'd even heard that particular statistic until just now.

So what has changed in the past two years, to justify the current panic over something that, so far, hasn't even killed 1% of that number of people in the U.S.?
Because those 60,000 didnít all show up at the hospital at the same time.
Abob Teff is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by Abob Teff:
chowderhead (03-20-20), kefrank (03-20-20)
Old 03-20-20, 06:53 PM
  #43  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 21,869
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
Because in a bad year the flu kills .02% of those infected. This thing kills somewhere between 1% to 3% so that’s 5 to 15 times more dead and apparently it is not slowed down by warner humid air like the flue.
Yep. If we go with Newsome's estimate of 25m who will get it over the next 8 week period and we just go with the 1% that's 250,000 people that will die from it - and that's just here in California. I mean this is a really big scary deal if the numbers hold up. Not to mention the ones that don't die from it a certain percentage are still going to be hospitalized - but where? This could get completely out of control very fast. That's why all the panic and the regulations.

Get it now grundle?
General Zod is offline  
Old 03-20-20, 07:14 PM
  #44  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 31,097
Likes: 0
Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Cool, Grundle is here with some bullshit.
Did not miss this.
dex14 is offline  
Old 03-20-20, 07:23 PM
  #45  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53,124
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Yep. If we go with Newsome's estimate of 25m who will get it over the next 8 week period and we just go with the 1% that's 250,000 people that will die from it - and that's just here in California. I mean this is a really big scary deal if the numbers hold up. Not to mention the ones that don't die from it a certain percentage are still going to be hospitalized - but where? This could get completely out of control very fast. That's why all the panic and the regulations.

Get it now grundle?
The numbers...won't hold up. You and many others don't get it. This isn't linear progression. There are specific people who are at extreme risk of death. Everyone else...is fine. Mixed with isolation, testing, geographics, sociogeographics, the numbers will only be mere fraction of these B movie sci-fi enthusiasts who are using more air than they should be.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 03-20-20, 07:49 PM
  #46  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,030
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
Check this out:




So just two years ago, more than 60,000 people in the U.S. died from the flu.

But not only was there no panic over it, I don't think I'd even heard that particular statistic until just now.

So what has changed in the past two years, to justify the current panic over something that, so far, hasn't even killed 1% of that number of people in the U.S.?
Let's suppose that we do nothing, as you seem to be advocating. And let's suppose, say 40% of the USA get COVID-19. So, about 130 million people. Now let's say just 1% of those die (a conservative number). That's 1.3 million people. Do you understand now?
Groucho is offline  
Old 03-20-20, 07:50 PM
  #47  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Vibiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 14,567
Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
I don't need a logic lesson from you.
I don't mean to laugh and I have grundle on Ignore anyway, but when I read this I flashed on Herb Welch on SNL, telling the anchor he wasn't gonna take reporter lessons from a can of hair spray. it made me laugh on a day when I needed to, so thanks.
Vibiana is online now  
Old 03-20-20, 08:34 PM
  #48  
Psi
DVD Talk Legend
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,237
Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Cool, Grundle is here with some bullshit.
But now it's non-political bullshit. No you can't have nice things.
Psi is offline  
Old 03-20-20, 08:38 PM
  #49  
Psi
DVD Talk Legend
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,237
Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
I don't mean to laugh and I have grundle on Ignore anyway, but when I read this I flashed on Herb Welch on SNL, telling the anchor he wasn't gonna take reporter lessons from a can of hair spray. it made me laugh on a day when I needed to, so thanks.
You get amused easily
I'll send over a dancing virus to entertain you,
Psi is offline  
Old 03-20-20, 11:44 PM
  #50  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 6,855
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
Check this out:




So just two years ago, more than 60,000 people in the U.S. died from the flu.

But not only was there no panic over it, I don't think I'd even heard that particular statistic until just now.

So what has changed in the past two years, to justify the current panic over something that, so far, hasn't even killed 1% of that number of people in the U.S.?
Dude, the information you're seeking is readily available in the many articles like this one:
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...-and-different

Some highlights (bolded emphasis mine):
Data from China shows that each coronavirus case seems to infect around 2 to 2.5 additional people. That's higher than flu. The average patient spreads the flu virus to about 1.3 others.
Data from China shows that 20% of COVID-19 patients, though, are serious enough to get sent to the hospital. That's about ten times more often than flu.
Once a patient with a serious case of coronavirus is hospitalized, the average stay is 11 days, according to a study based on January data from Wuhan ó about twice as long as the 5-to-6 day average stay for flu.
There are years of data that can answer that question for influenza. In the U.S., for example, in recent years about 8.3% of the total population get sick from flu each season, a CDC study found; including people who carry flu virus but show no symptoms, that estimate ranges to up to 20%.
...
An influential modeling analysis released March 16 from Imperial College of London predicted a worse-case scenario in which 81% of the U.S. population could get infected over the next few months, if no actions were taken to slow or contain the spread of the virus. Predictions from models like this appear to have spurred U.S. officials to implement social distancing measures to combat the virus's spread.
By contrast, COVID-19 is currently estimated to kill at least 10 people per thousand infected (1%). "It's about ten times more lethal than the seasonal flu," said Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Disease, in congressional testimony on March 11.
It really should not be hard to understand.
kefrank is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.