Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Have you had travel plans affected by COVID-19?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 03-22-20, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Man this situation is surreal. Still hard to grasp that this is all really happening. Anyway, curious if this has affected travel plans as much as it has others? I'm surprised airlines are still allowing folks to travel even if their reason is pleasure.

I was supposed to be exploring Memphis this weekend with my gf. We cancelled our flight and Airbnb on Monday (got a flight credit from SW and refund from Airbnb). Looks like that was the right choice, since Memphis has shut down its bars and restaurants (was really excited about eating some Memphis BBQ). Shockingly, Graceland appears to still be open.
I also had a flight to Seattle in April that I cancelled. Hoping my friend and his wife will be OK, Seattle is one of the hotspots for this virus.
And my Colorado Springs trip on the first weekend of May appears to be in real jeopardy. I think I'm being overly optimistic (perhaps delusional) in thinking the situation will be better by then.

I get emails on flight deals and it's so tempting to book (several destinations are $50-$75 RT), but what's the point if you can't do anything when you're there this sucks
Old 03-22-20, 10:24 AM

Received 156 Likes on 111 Posts
Re: Have you had travel plans affected by COVID-19?

We have tickets to the UK on Norwegian Air in late April. The flight is currently still scheduled. Right now they're offering free rebooking or "Cash Points" if you want to cancel. I'm hoping they'll offer an actual refund, but probably not.

Our lodgings (an AirBnB and a small B&B) have already been cancelled by the owners.
Old 03-22-20, 10:26 AM

Received 425 Likes on 296 Posts

Was supposed to be in Quebec for Pearl Jam this weekend. No money lost.

I have multiple work trips that have been or will be postponed or cancelled.
Old 03-22-20, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 266 Likes on 186 Posts

I was going to attend my kid sisterís high school graduation in May, but there isnít going to be a ceremony now. Itís especially disappointing because I have an 85 year old grandmother with Alzheimerís in a retirement home nearby, and with as rapid as her decline has been over the past few months, I donít know if sheíll be herself or even alive by the time I can get out there.

And while something my wife and I havenít actually planned yet canít exactly be disrupted , the hope was to go to Disney World for our sixth anniversary in September. But we canít make long term plans right now since we obviously donít know what travel or our financial situation will look like in six months.
Old 03-22-20, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 405 Likes on 304 Posts

Cancelled a trip to Hawaii in late May. I cancelled the flights and can use the ticket value a future date. Hotel is non refundable, but the Governor of Hawaii issued a 14 day quarantine to all travelers. So I couldn’t even stay there if I wanted to. I would be stuck in the hotel and then have to leave. My trip was only 4 days, 3 nights. So I need to try to get a refund on my hotel. Hopefully hotels.com will make an exception. But they said don’t contact them right now if your trip is not upcoming because they are absolutely slammed with calls and messages.
The following users liked this post:
fujishig (03-22-20)
Old 03-22-20, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Was supposed to go to Florida in April during school break. It's my son's birthday (turning 6) and we were going to go to Legoland. Pretty sure that's not happening.
Old 03-22-20, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was going to Vegas with my mom and brother on April 16th. Been trying to find a good time to go for about two years. We finally booked it late January. Sadly, we went through the process of cancelling it this past week. We got all our money back except we had to settle for 6 month flight vouchers from Spirit. Weíre going to try again in October. I just hope things are somewhat normal by then. Itís been on my moms bucket list for a very long time. Sheís 67 and starting to have issues with walking very far so I really want it to work out.
Old 03-22-20, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

My husband had planned to go back to Phoenix to see his dad this spring, but now he won't. We were there in early February, but holed up in our hotel room rather than visiting family because my husband got a fever and dry hacking cough. We thought it was a mild flu, but now we wonder. It probably was the flu, because I didn't get sick (and I had a flu shot, he didn't). But it is weird timing and the symptoms match pretty well.

We'd planned on going to PEARC, a research computing conference, in Portland this summer, but are guessing it will be cancelled. Or maybe not--it's in July.

My sister and BIL flew to Spain on the day Trump announced travel to/from Europe would be closed. They never left the airport, and flew right back. They were willing to stay in Spain for a while, but the airport personnel were very assertive about the need to go right home. I'm grateful for those airport people, as my parents, who are now self isolating, didn't need to be caring for my niece and nephew 24/7.
Old 03-22-20, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes.

Was supposed to go to GA for my dad's birthday this weekend, along with a bunch of family and his friends, but we cancelled that.
Business trip to PA mid-April has been cancelled.
Also in April we had rented a cabin in the woods to stay with a visiting cousin, his trip was cancelled and we cancelled this.
We were working on booking an anniversary trip in November, we're holding off on that.
I have no idea what the world will look like in 2 months, much less 6 or 12 or 18.
Old 03-22-20, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

Still have a cruise booked for the end of May. Not looking too good but we haven't cancelled yet. I've a hunch it's going to get cancelled for us. If it doesn't, and all the travel restrictions are lifted, we'll go. However.. I highly doubt that's going to happen at this point.
Old 03-22-20, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 115 Likes on 91 Posts

Nope
Old 03-22-20, 11:30 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes.

Travel for work or pleasure 3 out of 4 weeks, or more, and all cancelled.

Started when I cancelled a Germany double few weeks ago I had planned.
Old 03-22-20, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I was going to go to Greece and Turkey in April.
Old 03-22-20, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes - was supposed to spend an anniversary weekend last weekend in Lake Geneva and was supposed to be doing spring break in the Wisconsin Dells this week. Cancelled both about 2 weeks ago.
Old 03-22-20, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 70 Likes on 40 Posts

I was going to the Philippines on March 5th to be with the only woman who was willing to be within 6 feet of me in my lifetime. The 2nd part of my flight was cancelled the day I was supposed to fly out so I had to cancel my trip. I have been trying to get a refund with no luck so I finally decided to dispute the charge with Amex.
Old 03-22-20, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Supposed to go to Theodore Roosevelt Natl Park in May to get my wife her 50th state. It would actually be an ok place to be due to lack of people if we could actually get there. Everything cancellable but holding off for some reason.
Old 03-22-20, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Planning a Hawaii trip in August or September, but who knows yet. A ways to go, but may have to find something else.
Old 03-22-20, 01:57 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
I was going to the Philippines on March 5th to be with the only woman who was willing to be within 6 feet of me in my lifetime. The 2nd part of my flight was cancelled the day I was supposed to fly out so I had to cancel my trip. I have been trying to get a refund with no luck so I finally decided to dispute the charge with Amex.
Sorry for the cancellation and subsequent issues. Hope you get some resolution.

Originally Posted by Ginwen View Post
Supposed to go to Theodore Roosevelt Natl Park in May to get my wife her 50th state. It would actually be an ok place to be due to lack of people if we could actually get there. Everything cancellable but holding off for some reason.
That is awesome. And incredibly sucky. Hope you get there soon.
Old 03-22-20, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Not yet.

I have plans to go across the country to Reno on Amtrak via The Capitol Limited and the Southwest Chief in mid-June. Been wanting to do something like this for ages. It's not cancelled yet but I suppose it's only a matter of time. They've already suspended or reduced service on their regional trains. Can't imagine anyone would want to get on a long distance train and be locked in with a bunch of people in the middle of all this.

At this point we can play it by ear.
Old 03-22-20, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I had a business trip (for a conference) in Jacksonville schedule for the end of the month. That was cancelled a couple of weeks ago.

My next planned trip is a flight to visit family for a couple of weeks in late June. I'm hoping things are more settled then. It would be a long drive (~12 hours) but I could do it if traveling by air wasn't an option.
Old 03-22-20, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 70 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Sorry for the cancellation and subsequent issues. Hope you get some resolution.
Thank You for asking. No resolution yet as Amex said it may take up to 8 weeks for a resolution.
Norm de Plume (03-22-20)
Old 03-22-20, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were going to be in Florida last week and Disney. Canceled 2 days before we were going to leave. Rescheduled for July and I saved points on our new flights! Not very hopeful that our July date will hold. If not, I’ll reschedule again. Just wanted to get a date on the calendar.
Old 03-22-20, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

The band was supposed to record our album next weekend and that got cancelled. I was supposed to go to Louisville for a bourbon barrel selection. Gonna have to get a refund on my flight hopefully.
Adam Tyner (03-22-20)
Old 03-22-20, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts

I normally go to Michigan in May for my dad's birthday (he'll be 94 on the sixteenth). My oldest brother, who's 68, was going to go with me this year and share the driving. we had planned to leave on May 14. I'm not at all sure that will happen now.
Old 03-22-20, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I anticipate my Mediterranean cruise in May will be cancelled soon. Iíd prefer that the cruise line cancels, so I can get a refund instead of a credit.

Was suppose to go with 40 friends and family members and I have never been to Europe. It included Spain, France, and Italy.

This would have been my 14th cruise.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.