Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Are you working in the office, remotely or stuck at home due to Covid-19?

Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: What is your working status due to the Covid-19 situation?
Still going to the office
23.86%
Working remotely from home
63.64%
Stuck at home. Office/Business has shut down temporarily
10.23%
Self employed and needs to work despite the situation
2.27%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Are you working in the office, remotely or stuck at home due to Covid-19?

Old 03-23-20, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 439 Posts
Re: Are you working in the office, remotely or stuck at home due to Covid-19?

I'm retired but I used to work from home, aside from the occasional travel. So for me, nothing much has changed.
Old 03-23-20, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 179 Likes on 125 Posts

We are essential to the health care industry so I won't be working from home.
Old 03-23-20, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 143 Likes on 123 Posts

So even though IB is very much an internet/tech company the IB owned company I work for has pretty much never had an entire company's worth of folks working remote (maybe on a case by case basis folks have worked remotely for a brief period of time) but to the company’s credit (very much a newbie...this is I believe the start of my 4th wk on the job) I and everyone else was able to get the VPN going pretty quickly and of course I spaced on all the passwords I set up for various sites at the office but our help desk was on point and in less than 48hrs I was all set.

Even though I am a homebody when not at work and had a very long stretch of not working and staying home it is still weird to be stuck in one place all day long. I had very much looked forward to a change of pace by having to commute and like going into an office to work (my commute was against the flow of traffic so a hyper stressful long commute was not even an issue) but am adjusting pretty well to the new normal all things considered.
Old 03-23-20, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My current team has always been work-at-home, so nothing has changed in that sense. Some network resources are running a bit slower due to the increase in VPN usage by the rest of the company, but overall nothing much has changed.
Old 03-23-20, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 232 Likes on 127 Posts

The only issue I have run into is dialing into teleconferences. I am a contractor at a large .gov agency. At the top of the hour, when meetings typically start, the teleconference phone lines get swamped, and a bunch of people have trouble dialing in.
Old 03-23-20, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 807 Likes on 542 Posts

I work in Radio/Media and am considered "essential"...I hope my company remembers they said that when this is over with. Anyway, they even ordered a FEMA card for me and other "essential" folks here just in case the nation gets locked down. I've had to accommodate hosts so they can broadcast from home just this weekend; and we've used studios so others can broadcast who don't normally do it from our building.

That said, once I'm done making sure all is well, I lock myself in my office and stay away from everyone.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-23-20 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-23-20, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I am a consultant. Generally I work at home or fly to a client (usually 3 to 7 days a month). The flying part is cancelled, so work-wise I am not really affected by this.
Old 03-23-20, 12:23 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
The only issue I have run into is dialing into teleconferences. I am a contractor at a large .gov agency. At the top of the hour, when meetings typically start, the teleconference phone lines get swamped, and a bunch of people have trouble dialing in.
The rest of the world is finally learning what a shit show conference calls are.

Mute your phone!
The following users liked this post:
Geddlo (04-01-20)
Old 03-23-20, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

My work advised that we have an additional 80 hours of PTO to take if it's related to Covid. That includes taking care of family if they get sick. I'm not entirely sure if I have to use my current amount of PTO first, but I'll cross that bridge if I come to it. That 80 hours is forfeited once the company determines that the crisis has abated, if I haven't used it.
Old 03-23-20, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,042 Likes on 810 Posts

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but we finally got the homework assignments for our kids this week, and man if my wife wasn't also a teacher I'm not sure how we would get this done. So much work. I'm wondering how seriously this will effect things like grades (I'm sure for higher grades where this is more important there's more self learning, but man, I'm still working my job here).
Old 03-23-20, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Been working at home since last Monday when our company announced it was closing all the buildings. They did mention that labs would still be open for sensitive work that can't be done at home. I work in a lab, so I guess I could have gone into the office, but my boss and I decided it was best for me to work from home.
Old 03-23-20, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 422 Likes on 212 Posts

I work in IT for one of the Detroit Automakers. I changed jobs (and technically employers, but I'm still working at the same automaker) from corporate IT at the headquarters to plant IT at the beginning of the month. Everybody at corporate was sent to work from home a couple of weeks ago, but the plants were kept open. Also the running plants were closed down a week ago, but my plant was kept open because we are in the middle of a launch. It's basically a construction site at the moment. So I was still going to the office until Friday, but we were shut down too as of Saturday.

Working from home as of today, we'll see how long they can keep us doing that.
Old 03-23-20, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 668 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
The rest of the world is finally learning what a shit show conference calls are.

Mute your phone!

candyrocket786 (03-24-20)
Old 03-23-20, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 419 Likes on 287 Posts

Wisconsin is going to shelter in place rules tomorrow. Everyone freaked out at work until we were told that we were considered an essential business. So as long as we are busy enough, we’ll keep goin in.
Old 03-23-20, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Thank you for your service. I've been thanking retail folks at the front lines of the supply chain in every store I shop in. You guys are keeping society from collapsing. Your role in this crisis is critical, so thank you for taking the risk for the rest of the community.
I greatly appreciate hearing things like that. It genuinely makes dealing with some of the headaches more palatable knowing that what we're doing is appreciated.
VinVega (03-24-20)
Old 03-23-20, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,042 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
I greatly appreciate hearing things like that. It genuinely makes dealing with some of the headaches more palatable knowing that what we're doing is appreciated.
I'll say it too, thanks for being on the frontlines (who knew grocery stores would be the frontlines) every day. I'm glad they are giving you hazard pay, and hopefully there's a lot of (at least seasonal/temporary) hiring going on. I've heard a lot of grocery store workers vent about this time but I can't imagine what it's like when the general public comes in and takes their disappointment on the bare shelves out on them.
EdTheRipper (03-30-20)
Old 03-24-20, 02:24 AM
Cool New Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Stuck at home and working from home until the quarantine is over but it is possible that the end of it will be postponed
Old 03-24-20, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 472 Likes on 378 Posts

I can't even imagine what type of hell it must be to be working at a grocery store right now.

You guys are the TRUE heroes of this epic mess. Thus far there have been very few heroes, and many, many entitled and clueless idiots.

I thank you, and I bow before you, sir! Keep it up and may you prosper in some way because of your selfless dedication.
The following 4 users liked this post by zyzzle:
EdTheRipper (03-30-20), eXcentris (03-24-20), Trevor (03-24-20), VinVega (03-24-20)
Old 03-24-20, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 232 Likes on 127 Posts

Got an email from work last night. Someone at work tested positive. This is a large .gov facility, with many buildings. So they're now going from "restricted access" to almost a full shutdown. Only security and a few truly essential people will be allowed in starting tonight.

I am already mostly working from home, but was planning on going in to work to do some things that could only be done there. That's not happening now. The lab managers are going in today to shut off everything.
Old 03-24-20, 06:29 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 187 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Stay safe, thanks for being there for all of us.
Thanks, I'm trying to keep away from it, my job requires that I work mostly behind the scenes so I can at least stay somewhat safe, but that doesn't protect me from fellow employees who might be sick. Most of the employees live paycheck to paycheck, PTO is finite, so they'll work with the sniffles/cough because they can't afford to not work. That's just reality. This coronavirus crap has made me acutely aware of anyone's potential symptoms, I've become what I truly dislike: a germiphobe.
Old 03-24-20, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post

Mute your phone!
I used to leave the phone on speaker and do stuff around the house, until I heard a topic I might be involved in.

I'v always been a firm believer that at least 50% of meetings are a waste of time.
Old 03-24-20, 11:34 AM
bcd

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm still going into the office. There were usually 70+ people in the office. Now there are no more than 10, and I was the only one here last Friday.
Old 03-24-20, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yes...Much Appreciated I've been making sure to remind everyone daily that people like you are keeping things going during this mess. A few months ago, lotsa assholes were looking down their noses at service positions....NOW YOU FOLKS ARE HEROES

-Grocery Store Workers
-Fast Food Workers (I've noticed drive thrus have way more traffic these days)
-Supply Drivers
-etc
EdTheRipper (03-30-20)
Old 03-24-20, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
I used to leave the phone on speaker and do stuff around the house, until I heard a topic I might be involved in.

I'v always been a firm believer that at least 50% of meetings are a waste of time.
Yeah, and our top boss who leads our weekly 430p meetings loooooves to fuckin' talk. So our meetings go about 30-40 longer than they need too. I realize he treats it like "Sunday Family Dinner" where we all gather to connect and catch up. Sigh...we just want to go home,
Old 03-25-20, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 287 Likes on 205 Posts

I own my own (non-essential) business. I've had my employees stay home (giving them half-wages - wish I could afford more, as we're not bringing in any money for the foreseeable future). I've been going in a little bit, but it's just me, alone, touching things only I've ever touched - basically just paying bills, sending out invoices so we can get paid and pay said bills, waiting on checks, going to the bank, finishing up fiscal quarter bullshit. Just wrapping stuff up as best I can until taking a possible 2 month break.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.