Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 03-19-20, 12:36 PM

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Use this thread for NON-POLITICAL discussion of COVID-19.
The following users liked this post:
VinVega (03-19-20)

Popular Reply

03-23-20, 06:39 PM
Decker
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 827 Likes on 513 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

I have never used the ignore feature, but am seriously considering it now.

Why does this "Non-Political" thread even exist? It was supposed to be for information purposes but it's descended into some dystopian hellhole where folks can apparently weigh in on whose lives are worth saving and whose aren't.

In other news, turns out the lab was over-estimating. Got my patients' COVID results back for the three kids I tested late last week. All Negative!
Old 03-19-20, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 827 Likes on 513 Posts

It sucks.
Adam Tyner (03-24-20)
Old 03-19-20, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It's TEOTWAWKI - The End Of The World As We Know It. It didn't get us at the turn from 1999 to 2000, but it has sure as hell happened in the past week. What do you see in YOUR life which has been the end of the world as you know it? For me it's social distancing, no more hugging when you run into friends at the grocery store, limiting ourselves to going to town once a week and then only visiting the necessary places, no browsing the aisles to see what might be on sale.
Old 03-19-20, 12:40 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 170 Posts

If possible, it would be cool if someone consolidated the medical info from Decker, tanman, and others from that thread. If it's not that easy, I'll try to go through it later and quote what I can here.
hell, maybe we could use that wikipost feature!
Old 03-19-20, 12:42 PM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 550 Likes on 379 Posts

For the creation of this thread.

DVD Polizei (03-26-20)
Old 03-19-20, 12:43 PM

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I created a Wikipost at the top for folks to put important information and what-not into.
The following 2 users liked this post by Groucho:
Dan (03-19-20), Nefarious (03-19-20)
Old 03-19-20, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
It sucks.
I'm getting more done at home than I would otherwise, and working from home isn't bad so far (firmware updates to remote equipment), but yeah, this sucks rancid donkey nuts.

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning and I'm really curious to see what things are like out there.
Old 03-19-20, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 342 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by danwiz View Post
It's TEOTWAWKI - The End Of The World As We Know It. It didn't get us at the turn from 1999 to 2000, but it has sure as hell happened in the past week. What do you see in YOUR life which has been the end of the world as you know it? For me it's social distancing, no more hugging when you run into friends at the grocery store, limiting ourselves to going to town once a week and then only visiting the necessary places, no browsing the aisles to see what might be on sale.
Maybe not exactly what you meant, but the closing of all the schools and the uncertainty of whether kids will even be able to get promoted to the next grade or graduate is a huge deal. Like do all my kids (and everyone around the US) just repeat a grade?

Also the kind of effect this is going to have on theaters and restaurants, the entire travel industry, tourism, etc. is going to be astronomical.
Old 03-19-20, 12:52 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 72 Posts

It would take too long to sort by posts, but I think you could get the same results if you filter by posters. That would also clean up 99% of the BS
Old 03-19-20, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Maybe not exactly what you meant, but the closing of all the schools and the uncertainty of whether kids will even be able to get promoted to the next grade or graduate is a huge deal. Like do all my kids (and everyone around the US) just repeat a grade?

Also the kind of effect this is going to have on theaters and restaurants, the entire travel industry, tourism, etc. is going to be astronomical.
There will be a vaccine and in the interim, if Scientist start taking plasma from people that have recovered we can start offering immunity to people that have not yet gotten sick. Science does not need to make someone rich to beat this. ITs a huge deal for sure and this may end some of us but it does not need to be the end of the world forever.
Old 03-19-20, 12:55 PM
Admin

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

The other thread "Trumps" this one if you know what I'm saying.

I appreciate the effort though Groucho.
Old 03-19-20, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 342 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
There will be a vaccine and in the interim, if Scientist start taking plasma from people that have recovered we can start offering immunity to people that have not yet gotten sick. Science does not need to make someone rich to beat this. ITs a huge deal for sure and this may end some of us but it does not need to be the end of the world forever.
Oh I don't think it's permanent... I think once we are "done" with this, the demand for theaters and restaurants and travel will ramp back up, but what do all those employees and business owners do in the meantime if this stretches for months? Even my kids repeating a grade isn't the end of the world, but man that would be something.
Old 03-19-20, 12:59 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I created a Wikipost at the top for folks to put important information and what-not into.
Added the obligatory logo
Old 03-19-20, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 129 Likes on 102 Posts

My allergies have been awful lately, it isn't going over well with the people in earshot.
Old 03-19-20, 01:17 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
I don't think it works like that. There is no guarantee that if someone recovers from Covid-19 they develop immunity to the virus (cannot be infected again), or any antibodies they have will last a long time and can be given to someone else.
Old 03-19-20, 01:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
My allergies have been awful lately, it isn't going over well with the people in earshot.
Yeah, starting to feel that now too
Old 03-19-20, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
For the creation of this thread.
I agree. The echo chamber in the other thread was a bit much.
mspmms (03-19-20)
Old 03-19-20, 01:37 PM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 550 Likes on 379 Posts

NY Times has published a video report about the Chinese PR efforts surrounding the coronavirus.
(this is news related not intended as political).

Old 03-19-20, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This site tracks all the treatments/vaccines currently in study. There are many companies and organizations trying to get treatments and vaccines to the clinic for testing and validation.
https://milkeninstitute.org/sites/de...racker_WEB.pdf
Old 03-19-20, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I just don’t see how we go back after this, political or otherwise.
Old 03-19-20, 01:43 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SunMonkey View Post
I agree. The echo chamber in the other thread was a bit much.
Off to a great start boys.
Old 03-19-20, 02:05 PM

Received 163 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
NY Times has published a video report about the Chinese PR efforts surrounding the coronavirus.
(this is news related not intended as political).
Take any news out of China with a grain of salt right now. They're kicking out western journalists left and right.

I've read anecdotal reports of how comments and threads that criticize China are getting mysteriously downvoted by a horde of redditors with accounts that are less than a month old. Seems pretty fishy to me.

Not sure how this affects us in the U.S. in regard to the current crisis, but maybe our cheap-goods Chinese supply chain has been affected more than we realize. Don't be surprised if shortages continue for a while.
Old 03-19-20, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Yeah no kidding with an early thaw here it kicks mine into gear. A cough or sneeze in public might get you beaten...
Old 03-19-20, 02:14 PM

Received 163 Likes on 88 Posts

I'm wondering when wearing masks in public is going to become less of a taboo thing. The Asian countries who seem to be "beating" the virus right now share one trait: mask use is common and encouraged.

Of course, nobody can find masks in the U.S. right now as we're experiencing a global shortage.

And here's some science for you:

Professional and Home-Made Face Masks Reduce Exposure to Respiratory Infections among the General Population
Old 03-19-20, 02:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Italy's numbers continue to skyrocket despite being locked down two weeks. Does this mean our mitigation efforts are kinda hopeless? This damn bug is going have its way.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.