DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/650096-covid-19-non-political-thread.html)

Groucho 03-19-20 12:36 PM

COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread
 
Use this thread for NON-POLITICAL discussion of COVID-19.

Decker 03-19-20 12:37 PM

Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread
 
It sucks.

danwiz 03-19-20 12:40 PM

Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread
 
It's TEOTWAWKI - The End Of The World As We Know It. It didn't get us at the turn from 1999 to 2000, but it has sure as hell happened in the past week. What do you see in YOUR life which has been the end of the world as you know it? For me it's social distancing, no more hugging when you run into friends at the grocery store, limiting ourselves to going to town once a week and then only visiting the necessary places, no browsing the aisles to see what might be on sale.

Dan 03-19-20 12:40 PM

Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread
 
If possible, it would be cool if someone consolidated the medical info from Decker, tanman, and others from that thread. If it's not that easy, I'll try to go through it later and quote what I can here.
hell, maybe we could use that wikipost feature!

mspmms 03-19-20 12:42 PM

Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread
 
:clap: For the creation of this thread.


Groucho 03-19-20 12:43 PM

Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread
 
I created a Wikipost at the top for folks to put important information and what-not into.

Jason 03-19-20 12:43 PM

Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread
 

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13707598)
It sucks.

I'm getting more done at home than I would otherwise, and working from home isn't bad so far (firmware updates to remote equipment), but yeah, this sucks rancid donkey nuts.

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning and I'm really curious to see what things are like out there.

fujishig 03-19-20 12:46 PM

Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread
 

Originally Posted by danwiz (Post 13707601)
It's TEOTWAWKI - The End Of The World As We Know It. It didn't get us at the turn from 1999 to 2000, but it has sure as hell happened in the past week. What do you see in YOUR life which has been the end of the world as you know it? For me it's social distancing, no more hugging when you run into friends at the grocery store, limiting ourselves to going to town once a week and then only visiting the necessary places, no browsing the aisles to see what might be on sale.

Maybe not exactly what you meant, but the closing of all the schools and the uncertainty of whether kids will even be able to get promoted to the next grade or graduate is a huge deal. Like do all my kids (and everyone around the US) just repeat a grade?

Also the kind of effect this is going to have on theaters and restaurants, the entire travel industry, tourism, etc. is going to be astronomical.

Psi 03-19-20 12:52 PM

Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread
 
It would take too long to sort by posts, but I think you could get the same results if you filter by posters. That would also clean up 99% of the BS :)

jpcamb 03-19-20 12:53 PM

Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread
 

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13707611)
Maybe not exactly what you meant, but the closing of all the schools and the uncertainty of whether kids will even be able to get promoted to the next grade or graduate is a huge deal. Like do all my kids (and everyone around the US) just repeat a grade?

Also the kind of effect this is going to have on theaters and restaurants, the entire travel industry, tourism, etc. is going to be astronomical.

There will be a vaccine and in the interim, if Scientist start taking plasma from people that have recovered we can start offering immunity to people that have not yet gotten sick. Science does not need to make someone rich to beat this. ITs a huge deal for sure and this may end some of us but it does not need to be the end of the world forever.

VinVega 03-19-20 12:55 PM

Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread
 
The other thread "Trumps" this one if you know what I'm saying. ;)

I appreciate the effort though Groucho.

fujishig 03-19-20 12:58 PM

Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread
 

Originally Posted by jpcamb (Post 13707618)
There will be a vaccine and in the interim, if Scientist start taking plasma from people that have recovered we can start offering immunity to people that have not yet gotten sick. Science does not need to make someone rich to beat this. ITs a huge deal for sure and this may end some of us but it does not need to be the end of the world forever.

Oh I don't think it's permanent... I think once we are "done" with this, the demand for theaters and restaurants and travel will ramp back up, but what do all those employees and business owners do in the meantime if this stretches for months? Even my kids repeating a grade isn't the end of the world, but man that would be something.

Dan 03-19-20 12:59 PM

Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread
 

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 13707607)
I created a Wikipost at the top for folks to put important information and what-not into.

Added the obligatory logo ;)

RichC2 03-19-20 01:12 PM

Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread
 
My allergies have been awful lately, it isn't going over well with the people in earshot.

Psi 03-19-20 01:17 PM

Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread
 

Originally Posted by jpcamb (Post 13707618)
There will be a vaccine and in the interim, if Scientist start taking plasma from people that have recovered we can start offering immunity to people that have not yet gotten sick. Science does not need to make someone rich to beat this. ITs a huge deal for sure and this may end some of us but it does not need to be the end of the world forever.

I don't think it works like that. There is no guarantee that if someone recovers from Covid-19 they develop immunity to the virus (cannot be infected again), or any antibodies they have will last a long time and can be given to someone else.

nemein 03-19-20 01:23 PM

Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread
 

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 13707634)
My allergies have been awful lately, it isn't going over well with the people in earshot.

Yeah, starting to feel that now too :(

SunMonkey 03-19-20 01:32 PM

Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread
 

Originally Posted by mspmms (Post 13707604)
:clap: For the creation of this thread.

I agree. The echo chamber in the other thread was a bit much.

mspmms 03-19-20 01:37 PM

Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread
 
NY Times has published a video report about the Chinese PR efforts surrounding the coronavirus.
(this is news related not intended as political).



chowderhead 03-19-20 01:40 PM

Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread
 
This site tracks all the treatments/vaccines currently in study. There are many companies and organizations trying to get treatments and vaccines to the clinic for testing and validation.
https://milkeninstitute.org/sites/de...racker_WEB.pdf

Deadman31 03-19-20 01:41 PM

Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread
 
I just don’t see how we go back after this, political or otherwise.

Dan 03-19-20 01:43 PM

Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread
 

Originally Posted by SunMonkey (Post 13707645)
I agree. The echo chamber in the other thread was a bit much.

Off to a great start boys.

funkyryno 03-19-20 02:05 PM

Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread
 

Originally Posted by mspmms (Post 13707649)
NY Times has published a video report about the Chinese PR efforts surrounding the coronavirus.
(this is news related not intended as political).

Take any news out of China with a grain of salt right now. They're kicking out western journalists left and right.

I've read anecdotal reports of how comments and threads that criticize China are getting mysteriously downvoted by a horde of redditors with accounts that are less than a month old. Seems pretty fishy to me.

Not sure how this affects us in the U.S. in regard to the current crisis, but maybe our cheap-goods Chinese supply chain has been affected more than we realize. Don't be surprised if shortages continue for a while.

d2cheer 03-19-20 02:10 PM

Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread
 

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 13707634)
My allergies have been awful lately, it isn't going over well with the people in earshot.

:lol: Yeah no kidding with an early thaw here it kicks mine into gear. A cough or sneeze in public might get you beaten...

funkyryno 03-19-20 02:14 PM

Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread
 
I'm wondering when wearing masks in public is going to become less of a taboo thing. The Asian countries who seem to be "beating" the virus right now share one trait: mask use is common and encouraged.

Of course, nobody can find masks in the U.S. right now as we're experiencing a global shortage.

And here's some science for you:

Professional and Home-Made Face Masks Reduce Exposure to Respiratory Infections among the General Population

dvdjunkie32 03-19-20 02:20 PM

Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread
 
Italy's numbers continue to skyrocket despite being locked down two weeks. Does this mean our mitigation efforts are kinda hopeless? This damn bug is going have its way.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00 PM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.