Reload this Page >

COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Old 03-20-20, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 216 Likes on 164 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

The families who don't have insurance or have crappy plans and have loved ones laying in hospital beds being treated to Covid-19 are going to be crippled with 10's of thousands of dollars of medical bills.

I feel horrible for those people.
The following users liked this post:
Norm de Plume (03-20-20)
Old 03-20-20, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Because we had limited real infection data we relied heavily on simulation. Those predictions turned out to be very accurate, but they were easier to dismiss than if we had measurements showing what % of people have the virus when, and compare that to data from China or Korea then shape our response accordingly. What is USC and LPR?
I am not saying that we had to quarantine, but having people come back to the USA from a place that is having a serious outbreak should at least be sufficient to have people tested. Even if not everyone, maybe just a random selection. Not testing anyone until they show symptoms is a bad call, especially since this virus can be transmitted even if they are asymptomatic.

USC = United States Citizen
LPR = Legal Permanent Resident
Old 03-20-20, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
The families who don't have insurance or have crappy plans and have loved ones laying in hospital beds being treated to Covid-19 are going to be crippled with 10's of thousands of dollars of medical bills.

It won't cost them a dime. Either government will foot the bill or make it illegal to try and collect or penalize for not paying. This is a game changer folks.
Old 03-20-20, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

File bankruptcy.
Old 03-20-20, 05:01 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 133 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Coronnials.
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Fuck.
That's totally going to be the name. Lock in that copyright and website before anyone else does!
Well... Someone got the website.

www.coronnials.com

(currently just redirects to another site...)
Old 03-20-20, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

I've been working from home since Wednesday, but today I found out that my co-worker's sister has a cough (no fever, yet). I haven't seen my co-worker in three days, but with the incubation period of this thing, fuuuuuuck!
Old 03-20-20, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Franchot View Post
Looks like Illinois is trying to stay ahead of the wave like California.

Washington has a large numbers of confirmed cases. Is there a push to be a Shelter in Place state going on there?
Live in the Seattle area and we've been working this for awhile. Most business whose employees can work from home have been doing it for a few weeks after Microsoft and Amazon directed their employees in the Puget Sound to work from home. Restaurants and bars have been closed or "take out" only and schools closed for at least 6 weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if the Gov. does declare a shelter in place but many, including my family are already doing it. I work for a tech company and can just as effectively work from home as go into the office so consider myself fortunate in the current circumstance.
Old 03-20-20, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
I don't need a logic lesson from you.
You were expecting one?

Old 03-20-20, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 160 Posts

Washington has a large numbers of confirmed cases. Is there a push to be a Shelter in Place state going on there?
163 new confirmations today. 585 total positive confirmations, 5 deaths. Modeled projections have Illinois at over 3,400 cases by this time next week.

There have been 4,286 total tests administered, but I can’t find State numbers on negative results vs. open investigations.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 03-20-20 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-20-20, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Work-wise, I don't know how we can come back from being shut down for more than a month.
We couldn't even work if we wanted to, since our clients are shut down, as are our suppliers - dominoes, and there's nothing we can do. But you better bet that our rent is due!
Old 03-20-20, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

There's a push for a national SaH (stay at home) coming but states are being given the option first. FEMA is getting ready for it. Community Spread is the enemy and we have to slow it down by 2 weeks.

Old 03-20-20, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
The numbers...won't hold up. You and many others don't get it. This isn't linear progression. There are specific people who are at extreme risk of death. Everyone else...is fine. Mixed with isolation, testing, geographics, sociogeographics, the numbers will only be mere fraction of these B movie sci-fi enthusiasts who are using more air than they should be.
Well I'm not a doctor and I didn't come up with the numbers. I'm just explaining what the panic is all about based on the information we have. I personally think it will not mushroom into what they are saying BECAUSE people are reacting to the panic by staying home.. and that's the goal.
Old 03-20-20, 07:56 PM
Admin

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Let's suppose that we do nothing, as you seem to be advocating. And let's suppose, say 40% of the USA get COVID-19. So, about 130 million people. Now let's say just 1% of those die (a conservative number). That's 1.3 million people. Do you understand now?
Just open the schools and movie theaters back up. It's no biggie.
Old 03-20-20, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Let's suppose that we do nothing, as you seem to be advocating. And let's suppose, say 40% of the USA get COVID-19. So, about 130 million people. Now let's say just 1% of those die (a conservative number). That's 1.3 million people. Do you understand now?
it is not just the 1% but the 15-20% of that 130 million that require hospitalization but may recover. Many of those will need icu. The numbers start to spiral and we could go the route of Italy or South Korea which is flattening their number of cases.
Old 03-20-20, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Optimistically, it's still really low. Realistically, we'll be well over 500 deaths a day in no time.
Old 03-20-20, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

110,000 people died of old age in 2018. Where's the outrage! Why aren't we working harder to stop the aging process?!
Old 03-20-20, 08:29 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
I am not saying that we had to quarantine, but having people come back to the USA from a place that is having a serious outbreak should at least be sufficient to have people tested. Even if not everyone, maybe just a random selection. Not testing anyone until they show symptoms is a bad call, especially since this virus can be transmitted even if they are asymptomatic.

USC = United States Citizen
LPR = Legal Permanent Resident
Ah OK, but I don't think a decision to test or quarantine someone should depend on their citizenship or immigration status. but more on where they came from, maybe a temperature check and whether there are flu symptons.

But no matter how careful you are, there is always risk that you make a wrong judgment call or you have someone cheat their way through your checks. That's what happened in Seattle. Many at a retirement home caught the virus even though they had not gone near an outbreak zone and it took months before we discovered that. I think for Covid-19 we need to be more restrictive at entry points, and also test all patients who seek medical help for a respiratory problem regardless of their history. That's still less than Korea but more than the US from 2 weeks ago.
Old 03-20-20, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
110,000 people died of old age in 2018. Where's the outrage! Why aren't we working harder to stop the aging process?!
Yeah, that's the stupidity of some arguments here.
Old 03-20-20, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I was actually really surprised by the number of cars on the road today. It's like only 1/3 of the population is taking this thing seriously.

I will only be making limited runs outside the house for the next few weeks (groceries, food, other necessities).
Old 03-20-20, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Total Cost of Her COVID-19 Treatment: $34,927.43
https://time.com/5806312/coronavirus-treatment-cost/
Old 03-20-20, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
I was actually really surprised by the number of cars on the road today. It's like only 1/3 of the population is taking this thing seriously.

I will only be making limited runs outside the house for the next few weeks (groceries, food, other necessities).
I know that you're well aware that Southern California is unique in that the weather is exceptionally nice most of the year. People are not used to just sitting in their houses. Also, many people are now not working so when they get bored of sitting in the house, it's time for many to hit the road. Gas is cheap now.

With Newsom's mandate to stay at home due to the oncoming explosion of coronavirus cases in the state, people probably went into another panic and decided to hit the stores for more groceries while food shopping is still allowed.
Old 03-20-20, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

I drive around for fun, usually don't go anywhere or get out anywhere but a gas pump, but it's nice to get out of the house.
Old 03-20-20, 09:37 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
Because in a bad year the flu kills .02% of those infected. This thing kills somewhere between 1% to 3% so thatís 5 to 15 times more dead and apparently it is not slowed down by warner humid air like the flue.
I still look at the H1N1 numbers and they are staggering. 60.8 million cases and 12K deaths in the US alone. Yet society didn't shut down or fall into chaos. I just remember a growing nervousness. Granted, it took a year to reach those numbers but Covoid is so far from that right now. OTOH, Covoid is spreading so fast and I don't think H1N1 was nearly this widespread. They got cases in freaking Iceland and the Congo now.
Old 03-20-20, 09:49 PM

Received 82 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post

China, Korea: Stay Home order: 100% compliance
California: Stay home order: 33% compliance

We're so fucked. People are so stupid.
Old 03-20-20, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

It scares me when I agree with you, Zyzzle.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.