Reload this Page >

COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Old 04-09-20, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 481 Likes on 287 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Not saying that he's wrong. Just Wondering why we should be getting medical advice from a Professional Basketball player who absolutely stunk at running a Professional Basketball team.
Old 04-09-20, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...-car-insurance

So that's a big NOPE (for now) from AAA and Progressive.
Of course! What do you expect from companies who profit exclusively from the pain and misery of others? And companies which also have the law totally on their side, from a residual income standpoint. Oh, you don't have insurance?? You're arrested (and fined). So, they've got the gravy train coming forevermore, and of course they know it and are incredibly rapacious and avaricious. Talk about a fixed game, where the house always wins.

It literally makes me sick that I've driven less than 5 miles in the last month, yet am not entitled to or may I get a discount on my auto insurance rates. AAA can go fuck themselves!!
The following users liked this post:
TheDude (04-09-20)
Old 04-10-20, 12:34 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Not saying that he's wrong. Just Wondering why we should be getting medical advice from a Professional Basketball player who absolutely stunk at running a Professional Basketball team.
I bet you play a mean game of basketball, so he is entitled to "play doctor."
Old 04-10-20, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 481 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
I bet you play a mean game of basketball, so he is entitled to "play doctor."
You have never lost a bet more resoundingly than this one.
Old 04-10-20, 01:16 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

^ That's your problem then. Magic knows how to play doctor
Old 04-10-20, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Have to hand it to you (thumbs up) that post is the definition of "hollow".
Received 357 Likes on 251 Posts

You know that brings up something I've been wondering - if the Corona virus was spreading in China much earlier than China admits, could it be one of the sources of transmission to the United States with the large visiting delegation of NBA players, corporate staffers and lets just say the assorted in-flight "entertainment" options ().
Old 04-10-20, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
At the very least they should be seeking advice from Julius Erving, since he's Dr. J.
The following 4 users liked this post by Coral:
Jericho (04-10-20), Norm de Plume (04-10-20), Psi (04-10-20), Trevor (04-10-20)
Old 04-10-20, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a question for folks like Grundle, Coli, DVD P, Pharaoh, mspmms, and even a couple posters that I sometimes like to call Mr. (Ms?) Crankypants...aka Mabuse and zyzzle (I call you both cranky w/love and affection, I sometimes get called Grandpa because I can go into the mode of get off my lawn/yell at clouds and I am not even 50 years old), do you really feel that testing 2 million out of around 360 million people in this country is enough to give you the confidence to follow the White Houses everything is under control now get back to work order?

If the answer took the form of words instead of a screaming at a cat meme that would be much appreciated...lol.

This is not a political thread so I am simply asking the question, that is all.
Old 04-10-20, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 175 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
You know that brings up something I've been wondering - if the Corona virus was spreading in China much earlier than China admits, could it be one of the sources of transmission to the United States with the large visiting delegation of NBA players, corporate staffers and lets just say the assorted in-flight "entertainment" options ().
I know you're joking but didn't they finally track down the source of the NY virus to Europe? I just saw a blurb about it and didn't read the article so not sure which source it was.
Old 04-10-20, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
USAA auto insurance is giving 20% back for 2 months of auto insurance
Nice! I like money.
Old 04-10-20, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 136 Likes on 98 Posts

I know you're joking but didn't they finally track down the source of the NY virus to Europe?
The research is still in its early stages, but:
Two separate teams of scientists studying the genetics of the SARS-CoV-2 virus in the region came to similar conclusions: People were spreading the virus in New York as early as late January, before more widespread testing began, and it came mostly from Europe, not Asia.

"We know with certainty that these were coming from European strains," Adriana Heguy, director of the Genome Technology Center at NYU Langone Health, told USA TODAY.

Harm van Bakel, a geneticist at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, told the New York Times: "The majority is clearly European."
Old 04-10-20, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
USAA auto insurance is giving 20% back for 2 months of auto insurance
Several Auto insurers are doing that. Including the biggest.

https://www.wglt.org/post/state-farm...omers#stream/0

Clearly there is no law requiring them to do this. However a significant part of premiums are based on miles driven. And obviously lots of people are driving less and thus having less accidents. So it makes sense to do this.
Old 04-10-20, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
I have a question for folks like Grundle, Coli, DVD P, Pharaoh, mspmms, and even a couple posters that I sometimes like to call Mr. (Ms?) Crankypants...aka Mabuse and zyzzle (I call you both cranky w/love and affection, I sometimes get called Grandpa because I can go into the mode of get off my lawn/yell at clouds and I am not even 50 years old), do you really feel that testing 2 million specifically selected people out of around 360 million people in this country is enough to give you the confidence to follow the White Houses everything is under control now get back to work order?

If the answer took the form of words instead of a screaming at a cat meme that would be much appreciated...lol.

This is not a political thread so I am simply asking the question, that is all.
Added a relevant piece of information. Please resume.
Old 04-10-20, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 160 Posts

^ That's your problem then. Magic knows how to play doctor

Line of the day!
Old 04-10-20, 11:09 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Below are trends of Covid-19 infection in Hong-Kong, Taiwan and Singapore. Orange is from foreign visitors or citizens returning from abroad, and blue is local (but original source may be foreign). Taiwan continues to do OK except for a jump in imported cases, but HK and especially SG are concerning. All three countries have banned foreigners from coming in, sometimes for short term stays, sometimes all, and Singapore started a lock-down last week.

The graphs show how closely they monitor, track and analyze all infection cases and adjust their actions accordingly. We need to do the same when we re-open. Otherwise we can have another surge like what we are seeing now.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...mid=fb-nytimes

Old 04-10-20, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post

What? Those memes aren't even close to be tired, lazy and played out yet.
Old 04-10-20, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
I honestly can’t even tell if we are agreeing or disagreeing ... I suspect it is a little of both.

MORE of the current testing will not get us the data we need to develop a plan. It helps with treatment of those who are sick right now. It can help with identifying potential contacts of that specific individual who could also become sick. But testing numbers of currently infected people in New York City don’t do much for projecting the potential cases in Jackson Hole, Wyoming in six weeks.

Like you said, identify the goal and how to get there. The goal is to safely get the economy back up and running. How do you do that? Identify the acceptable level of risk and the capabilities you have to handle the inherent risks, move resources to needed (or projected) areas. Knowing who is sick right now does not give us the data to do that. “The ship is already sinking, so head for that iceberg” is not a plan.

I’m not a scientist, I didn’t play one on TV, and I didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night ... so I will leave my final words as “I could be wrong”.
Well what do the scientist and Doctors say is an alternative to adequate testing to have the confidence you are looking for?

Everything I have read says “to flatten the curve”, to slow transmission, to slow deaths, we must test, test and do more testing. Then quickly isolate the infected and those they were in contact with.

No reputable Dr or scientists is saying we have adequate testing.

So if “we” want to reopen the economy, what is the alternative to adequate testing? And is there any evidence that alternative would have any impact or would it be a crap shoot?

Now, I’m to the point where I think we have botched testing so badly, it is having limited effectiveness now. And it is taking much longer to see the benefits of testing/isolation.

I still think the #1 goal is to get to adequate testing. And I don’t get how we can’t put enough pressures on the powers that be to do so. But if people are just going to say “looks like that will never happen so let’s reopen”. I’m not sure what else needs to be discussed. Any other measures than adequate testing would seem to be “feel good” actions with no evidence of effectiveness.
Old 04-10-20, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

We were talking about this in the other thread but this is a good move. Even for curbside pickup you don't need employees running all around a store pulling toys and blu-rays for you.
Got my SW blu-rays last wk!

WA still seems to be in the slow and steady category...hoping to start seeing some improvement soon. The UW report lowered our death estimates from about 950 to 650, currently at 450.

Last edited by Artman; 04-10-20 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-10-20, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Added a relevant piece of information. Please resume.

Happy you made that edit. In fact, another blog I go to notes that Los Angeles will begin random testing to confirm just how many folks might have Covid and do not know it or are simply carriers who can get others sick but are not effected by the virus.

People keep saying that so and so percentage of folks in a state/hot spot/across the U.S. in general may be walking around as asymptomatic carriers of the virus (w/o Googling, asymptomatic is folks who carry the virus but do not seem to come down w/the virus, yes?) but random testing is what is needed to put a real number to this assumption. If a high number, say 40-50% of the tests come back as positive then I am not sure folks will want to snap back to commuting to work, but if 25% or less are positive maybe some parts of Los Angeles and other places like L.A. can gradually get back to normal.

Or I could be confused and have it backwards, folks want to see a massive a number of positives due to that herd immunity thing where it turns out almost everyone has it but so few people get hyper-sick/die that accepting that your colleague may carry Covid is the new normal and people get back to work because even though Covid is bad it has a less frightening mortality rate than assumed.

Wait...herd immunity really is only a thing if most people choose to get vaccinated therefore a small handful of people w/o the vaccine could still mingle with you in a group and not knock you down for the count, yes?

All this talk of opening things up and returning to normal still seems crazy premature even though I just talked to a client who admitted he is going a bit stir crazy.
Abob Teff (04-10-20)
Old 04-10-20, 11:50 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
So if “we” want to reopen the economy, what is the alternative to adequate testing? And is there any evidence that alternative would have any impact or would it be a crap shoot?
By definition, alternative to adequate testing is inadequate testing, and who wants that?

Why don't we say what we want:
- Test anyone a health professional wants to test, including all who have flu-like symptoms.
- Test all health care providers and first responders anytime they want.
- Test anyone who has been in close contact with someone who tested positive. We can define close contact -- for example all those in same household, share offices, have interacted in some ways we can define by distance and time.
- Test all travelers who come in from abroad. Need to think about how to deal with workers who regularly cross Canadian or Mexican borders. I don't have an answer.
- Do enough surveillance testing to catch any outbreak bigger than 20 people.
- Test anyone else who is willing to pay out of pocket. Nominal charge. In Korea it's $140. Reimburse them if test comes out positive.
- Results must come back in under 2 days.

That's a starting list. Add to it as you want, and we can also adjust up or down depending on results. There are people who can estimate how may tests we need to achieve that, 50K or 100K a day? Whatever it is, set that as one of the criteria for reopening the country, whether it takes 1 or 3 or 5 months. But just saying we want more tests without a number or goal will keep us running around in circles.
Old 04-10-20, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 175 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
But most of their store has items you don't really need in the first place. As if everyone would be flocking to Target to buy movies and toys--some would, but I'd say maybe 25% would and would more than likely just be addons to the list of "necessary" items.

The employees know the store layout. It's not THAT difficult but I understand it could take time to pull several titles, but they could allow some latest releases...right?

All I'm thinking about...is keeping as many employees EMPLOYED at FULL TIME, versus Target possibly being cheap on their labor end for their Target employees and instead, using their Shipt employees.

Look between the lines. These companies are cheap asses, and they'll be wanting full bailouts. Hate to be skeptical but these large chains are the most greedy and unscrupulous (look at the Cheesecake Factory laying of 40K+ employees or Chili's), using the virus to justify layoffs but at the same, saying it's "for safety and necessity". It's all bullshit.

And really...how many people are unemployed right now to where Target couldn't get the extra help?

Yeah, thought so.
For states that are on lockdown, like CA, where you can't go outside without a mask and you're supposed to try to stock up on groceries for two weeks at a time, even 25% of people going out to look for media/stuff is too much, especially if there's a lot of manpower needed to stock the shelves and disinfect those areas. Obviously the stores want to sell what they can, but I think only recently they put really draconian measures in place to limit the number of people that can go in the store at a time so you had employees running around the store picking up my birthday candles while the stores were still full of customers. If the stores were only curbside pickup or something I don't see the problem, if only employees were in the store it's much easier to maintain.

Don't get me wrong, I love media, I love video games, and I want FF VII remake just like everyone else, all I'm saying is that if you want to restrict it to just essential purchases in store (for the short term) that's fine with me.

Looking at those pics of the crowded NY subway train I kind of think working with a skeleton crew would be a lot better (again, short term) but I would feel a lot better about it if the unemployment stuff kicked in. Seems like NY got it this week and CA will be next week.
Old 04-10-20, 12:38 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 133 Likes on 94 Posts

Is there a way to get this data by state? As Abob Teff pointed out, a big contributor to the US number is NY and they are in the exponential climb, so a small change in slope can make a big difference. It would be nice to see US with NY and US without NY.
Finally found a more thorough database.

I plotted the data on the same ranges in an attempt to keep NY from "appearing" worse with less whitespace.

This is data from March 11 thru Apr 9. My skills are terrible, naturally, but... you get the idea.

NY Alone:

All States Together:

All States w/o NY:

The biggest upside right now is that the US total death count took 6 days to double. That doesn't mean less deaths per day... only that it took 6 days to go from ~8k to ~16k, but the data I'm using shows a spike every 3 days, so... we'll see what it's at today/tomorrow.

If anyone wants their state plotted, let me know. I have the sheet open so all I have to do is click a couple things, but I'll have to change the ranges on the Y-axis, because most don't even show up on their own compared to NY...

Psi (04-10-20)
Old 04-10-20, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Old 04-10-20, 01:19 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 133 Likes on 94 Posts

You know what that tells us? It's a damn good thing we have advanced science and tracking these days to reduce the death toll, but I'm sure that's not why it was created and posted.
The following 5 users liked this post by Dan:
kenny79 (04-11-20), Norm de Plume (04-10-20), Psi (04-10-20), story (04-10-20), VinVega (04-10-20)
Old 04-10-20, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Broke 100k deaths world wide today.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.