COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Old 03-19-20, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
People have been waiting for the first big name to die from the virus. Well, that name just came out: Playboy Magazine.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/playboy...s-coronavirus/
Unsurprising. The magazine has been struggling for years. Last time I saw an issue was in Barnes & Noble; it was now a quarterly and cost $25.
Old 03-19-20, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
To my knowledge there's not widespread testing of the virus unless you have symptoms, so I'm not sure how we know that more people don't have it?
True.

When are the results from the testing of the Laker team coming back?

Will they be testing the people in the homeless camps of Los Angeles? Are there enough test kits for the homeless? (I see that as one of the places where the virus can expand quickly. And if it is found there, how can it be reassuringly stopped?)
Old 03-19-20, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 132 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Franchot View Post
True.

Will they be testing the people in the homeless camps of Los Angeles? Are there enough test kits for the homeless? (I see that as one of the places where the virus can expand quickly. And if it is found there, how can it be reassuringly stopped?)

That is an excellent question and something I haven't seen touched on since the very beginning of this outbreak.
Old 03-19-20, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 124 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Ummm, no. The countries “beating it” acted promptly and went into “draconian lockdowns.” The countries getting their proverbial toilet paperless asses wiped are the ones who went about business as normal.
Yes, the lockdowns and tracing efforts after infections are identified, are the primary reason they're winning the Corona Wars. But that has nothing to do with my point of wearing masks -- I did not say that's why they were "winning." Mask use is prevalent in those countries, which certainly slows down spread, in my humble non-expert opinion, but it's not the No. 1 factor.
Old 03-19-20, 04:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Ummm, no. The countries “beating it” acted promptly and went into “draconian lockdowns.” The countries getting their proverbial toilet paperless asses wiped are the ones who went about business as normal.
Masks have been a large factor though.

And to repeat from other thread, Hong Kong did not shut their border completely or enact draconian measures. Goods and a decent amount of individual travel moved, and eateries and bars remain open. Yet, cases are minimal in comparison. Why?

Also, they did panic buy, including TP. In some cases, creating more shortages and longer lines than in the US.

Old 03-19-20, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

It seems to me that many people may get the virus in the U.S., but the death rate is not climbing rapidly.
It took the US over a month to get to 100 deaths, and it's looking like 4 additional days to get 200 (tomorrow, we're at 186 right now.). It'll likely be at 400 by mid-next week, so on and so forth.

It takes time for these things to start rolling.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-19-20 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-19-20, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Some Blood Types May Be Slightly More Susceptible to COVID-19, Paper Suggests

I'm type AB
Old 03-19-20, 04:56 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

Useful info, but just be cautious...
the information does come from a study, but one that has not yet been peer-reviewed
non peer-reviewed is usually a red flag. Doesn't mean the study is wrong... Just not validated by another party.
Old 03-19-20, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Makes sense. They claimed Type O was an evolutionary trait from people in virus-heavy environments. Type AB I'd be a little concerned but even then, it's just one report.
Old 03-19-20, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 132 Likes on 102 Posts

True.

Franchot, check the tweet just posted in the political covid thread, Newsome just predicted 25.5 million in CA will be infected in 8 weeks. That may just be extrapolating from a pool of data that's too small and taken before we did what we did, but still nobody thinks it'll be over soon.
Old 03-19-20, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think it's irrational, it's a pretty fucked up disease, but social distancing prevents all sorts of diseases.

Then again, considering all that's happening, it doesn't seem like many people are actually panicking either.

Edit: Aww, poor guy: https://www.foxla.com/news/glendora-...florida-report

Last edited by RichC2; 03-19-20 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-19-20, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I absolutely positively do not understand why no one bats an eye when 10,000 people die from the flu, but the very same people got all hysterical after a few dozen people died from COVID-19.

And how many of these people who panicked after a few dozen people died from COVID-19 didn't get a flu shot? How many of them don't wear a seat belt? How many of them smoke cigarettes?

Maybe it's my Asperger's, maybe it's my love of math, maybe it's my preference for facts over emotion, but whatever it is, I do not understand the double standard regarding the flu and COVID-19.

It's not about what is happening now, it's about what will happen if nothing is done.

The main issue here is unlike flu, which tends to be spread out over many months, this is happening on a compact timeline where many many people will have severe issues at roughly the same time, we don't have the resources for that. Also, those hospitalized with this have a substantially lower survival rate than those hospitalized with flu.

Flu generally doesn't require the construction of multiple temporary hospitals in China nor does it cause Italy to flat out deny treatment to the 80+ year olds while advancing the graduation for 10,000 medical students just to grapple with it. Again, using Italy as an example, they've gone from 100 deaths to 3,405 deaths in roughly 2 weeks.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-19-20 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-19-20, 05:44 PM

[
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Franchot, check the tweet just posted in the political covid thread, Newsome just predicted 25.5 million in CA will be infected in 8 weeks. That may just be extrapolating from a pool of data that's too small and taken before we did what we did, but still nobody thinks it'll be over soon.
What?! That's well above half the population of California!

With all the shut downs of businesses and the closures of schools and the people practicing social distancing, California will still have over 50% of its population contracting the virus?

Sorry, but I'm not believing Newsom's dire prediction. Hubei providence (the epicenter of the virus) is home to 60 million people and approximately 81,000 cases were reported in all of China.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...country/china/

How is Newsom coming up with those numbers? Is he suggesting that China was able to slow the virus due to all of the quarantine measures it took? Baloney.
The following users liked this post:
printerati (03-20-20)
Old 03-19-20, 05:46 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I'm thinking it'll be awhile before we're anywhere close to approaching what one would call "in the clear."

Old 03-19-20, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
It took the US over a month to get to 100 deaths, and it's looking like 4 additional days to get 200 (tomorrow, we're at 186 right now.). It'll likely be at 400 by mid-next week, so on and so forth.

It takes time for these things to start rolling.
I agree that it takes time to get things rolling, but when I look at 1 death in Los Angeles county over a week ago and the second death occurring eight days later, at this point I'm skeptical that the death rate will ramp up as quickly as some people are suggesting.
Old 03-19-20, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree that it takes time to get things rolling, but when I look at 1 death in Los Angeles county over a week ago and the second death occurring eight days later, at this point I'm skeptical that the death rate will ramp up as quickly as some people are suggesting.
Which is fair, it's a very weird, very slow disease.
Old 03-19-20, 06:09 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

For those skeptical about the death rate, I get it, but you'll need to take into account a few things.
- people aren't just dropping like flies once they're diagnosed. It takes days to weeks to months potentially before their condition deteriorates from manageable to... not.
- look at the deaths vs. recoveries. Again it's not complete data, but gives an idea of how many people are pulling through if they developed symptoms severe enough to seek medical care, or were administered a test regardless of their symptoms because... well... it's the right thing to do.
Old 03-19-20, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I'm thinking it'll be awhile before we're anywhere close to approaching what one would call "in the clear."

https://twitter.com/nbcbayarea/statu...67565405831171
Holy shit, still?? Idiots, but they're young and still think they're invincible. Has the Florida government done anything to prevent this (or can they)?

Old 03-19-20, 06:19 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Holy shit, still?? Idiots, but they're young and still think they're invincible. Has the Florida government done anything to prevent this (or can they)?
The Governor got the beaches closed either yesterday or today. These kids are nuts.
Old 03-19-20, 06:20 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Yeah, the video is from this morning.
And some beaches in the state are closed. Some aren't. Seems like a location specific thing. Can't talk about why that's the case in this thread though.
Old 03-19-20, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
For those skeptical about the death rate, I get it, but you'll need to take into account a few things.
- people aren't just dropping like flies once they're diagnosed. It takes days to weeks to months potentially before their condition deteriorates from manageable to... not.
- look at the deaths vs. recoveries. Again it's not complete data, but gives an idea of how many people are pulling through if they developed symptoms severe enough to seek medical care, or were administered a test regardless of their symptoms because... well... it's the right thing to do.
I'm in LA county and it "appears" today that several mayors and health officials are going to put a "shelter in place" mandate like the one in San Francisco for Los Angeles county.

While, I'm sheltering in place, I'll put together a group of 10 well-known individuals who have tested positive for the coronoavirus and watch as they progress to a recovered status or to something less favorable. My skeptical mind says 90% or more of my group will reach a recovered status.

My group:

Tom Hanks, Rita Wilson, Idris Elba, Rudy Gobert, Donavan Mitchell, Kevin Durant, Andrew Watt, Prince Albert II, Sophie Gregoire Trudeau, John D'Amico (West Hollywood mayor)

--Without proper testing, I don't think we will have a proper analysis of how deadly (or not) the coronavirus is.
Old 03-19-20, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 330 Likes on 199 Posts

I'm in LA county and it "appears" today that several mayors and health officials are going to put a "shelter in place" mandate like the one in San Francisco for Los Angeles county.

While, I'm sheltering in place, I'll put together a group of 10 well-known individuals who have tested positive for the coronoavirus and watch as they progress to a recovered status or to something less favorable. My skeptical mind says 90% or more of my group will reach a recovered status.

My group:

Tom Hanks, Rita Wilson, Idris Elba, Rudy Gobert, Donavan Mitchell, Kevin Durant, Andrew Watt, Prince Albert II, Sophie Gregoire Trudeau, John D'Amico (West Hollywood mayor)

--Without proper testing, I don't think we will have a proper analysis of how deadly (or not) the coronavirus is.
Your skeptical mind? The odds would be well above 90% if it were just the general population, not ten mostly younger individuals, none with underlying conditions and all affluent and able to obtain the best care available. What does that prove?

It's WAY more deadly than the flu. We know that. And yes, there are probably lots of people with asymptomatic cases of COVID, there are also many, many, many every year who never get tested for the flu. And those that do, don't get reported. I have positive flu tests every day in my office but nobody knows because it's not a reportable disease. And before three years ago, I didn't have the equipment to test for it anyway so it was just a presumptive diagnosis based on severity of symptoms.
Old 03-19-20, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Your skeptical mind? The odds would be well above 90% if it were just the general population, not ten mostly younger individuals, none with underlying conditions and all affluent and able to obtain the best care available. What does that prove?
If I knew of ten run-of-the-mill individuals that have the virus I would list them and provide updates on their progress. However, I don't. I would also list the oldest people I knew on this list.

Hanks has diabetes. D'Amico is 57 and HIV positive. Don't know what underlying conditions the others may have that are on my list. Hanks, Wilson, Prince Albert are above 60 Others are included with age ranges from 23 to 44.

My skeptical mind is triggered when the governor of my state predicts that over 50% of my state's population will get the coronavirus. As a doctor, do you see that as being a credible prediction?
Old 03-19-20, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah Diamond Princess hit 1% mortality with about 20% asymptomatic. 178 are apparently still being treated.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-19-20 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-19-20, 08:45 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Masks have been a large factor though.

And to repeat from other thread, Hong Kong did not shut their border completely or enact draconian measures. Goods and a decent amount of individual travel moved, and eateries and bars remain open. Yet, cases are minimal in comparison. Why?
You seem to think that countries that avoided an outbreak have some secret anti-virus weapon or barrier that they haven't told anyone. Let's pick four: Hong Kong, Singapore, Vietnam and Canada.

- Face masks: Common in HK but not in the other countries. In Singapore the government allowed each person a weekly ration of 1 or 2 masks so they can save the rest for medical personnel.

- Blocking the virus from entering. A lot of this is done in the background but it's done. When the Korea outbreak started a few countries started banning flights from Korea immediately. Vietnam refused entry of a plane already in flight. They meant business when they said no. Nowadays they all have tight restrictions on who they let in, what checks and quarantines they perform before they allow entry to anyone.

- If you want to search for a reason, maybe it's that those countries experienced the SARS problem in 2003 first hand, and that taught them to take these virus attacks seriously and what to do to prevent a repeat.

That's what upsets me so much about why the US is in this crisis today. We have ample evidence of what to do to prevent an outbreak, or what to do to stop one quickly if we fail and let it happen. We are rich, powerful and advanced in so many ways, but fail at some of the most basic things.
The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (03-19-20)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.