Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Old 03-27-22, 10:30 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

A couple of weeks ago I received an email from my State Department of Heath indicating I might be eligible for a second booster shot since I indicated I might be immunocompromised. I was directed to call them so they could determine if I qualify. I may contact my Gastroenterologist first to get his take but I'm not opposed to another vaccine if it helps. I've received Pfizer each time.
Old 03-27-22, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 837 Likes on 554 Posts

I bought a packet of KF94 masks. I got a selection of colors and sizes from an importer recommended by the New York Times. I chose that site because I wanted the masks were approved by the South Korea drug agency, not forgeries.

If there is another surge and we suddenly need masks, they won't be available. If we don't need them, I will have wasted an hour's pay. I'll wear them when I get the flu or something.
Old 03-27-22, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 43 Posts

Does anybody still take a look at the JHU dashboard now and then? I still do a "screen capture and save" of it every day. On the far left side of the chart, where it gives the confirmed cases by country, the USA became #1 on or before 3/27/2020. On August 10, 2021 the JHU revised that far left portion of the chart to show 20-Day cases/deaths and started ranking the countries by their 28-day totals. The USA remained #1. The USA remained #1 through 2/25/2022. On 2/26/22 Germany took over the top spot for 28-day cases and the USA became #2. On 2/28/22 the USA became #3, with Germany still in the #1 spot and Russia in the #2 spot. On March 5, 2022 the USA dropped to the #4 position. On 3/9 we dropped to the #6 position. On 3/10 we dropped to #7. I'm not going to give every drop, but it's gone quickly since 3/10 and the USA is now in the #14 position. Based on this, I believe that we are in for at least one more big surge in the USA.

If anybody is interested, I can create a zip file of all 692 screen captures I have saved and post them somewhere on my website for you to download.
Old 03-27-22, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,338 Likes on 962 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I bought a packet of KF94 masks. I got a selection of colors and sizes from an importer recommended by the New York Times. I chose that site because I wanted the masks were approved by the South Korea drug agency, not forgeries.

If there is another surge and we suddenly need masks, they won't be available. If we don't need them, I will have wasted an hour's pay. I'll wear them when I get the flu or something.
The local Walmart has had boxes of free 3M N95 masks that are individually wrapped in plastic, and we've been picking a few up every time we shop, and acquired a nice stockpile. "Just in case."

I don't really trust ordering them online, as there's so much counterfeit and sketchy shit out there floating around, but I figure that the ones Walmart have are legit.

The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (04-05-22)
Old 03-27-22, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 519 Likes on 418 Posts

Except... by now, my "just in case" scenario has switched to "just in case" meaning staying at home (lockdown) rather than going out and wearing N95 masks. That's very unlikely, unless we're at 2020 levels again, so I'm willing to take the risk of going out now and getting back to some sense of normalcy by not having to wear an N95 mask. If shit hits the fan again, it's back to self-imposed lockdown for me... Even being 3x vaccinated.
Old 03-27-22, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 837 Likes on 554 Posts

I haven't looked at the Johns Hopkins dashboard for a long time. I'm still looking at the state dashboard a couple of times a week.
The following users liked this post:
AGuyNamedMike (03-28-22)
Old 04-01-22, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 714 Likes on 514 Posts

I meant to post this yesterday.

GOVERNOR PARSON ANNOUNCES END TO COVID-19 CRISIS IN MISSOURI

“Over the past two years, we have learned a lot that will help us respond to future outbreaks and challenges that may come our way,” Governor Parson said. “We don’t know if this virus will ever completely go away, but we do know that there is no longer a need to live in crisis mode and that we can shift our response to meet the current needs of Missourians. The COVID-19 crisis is over in the state of Missouri, and we are moving on.”

The SARS-CoV-2 virus, which causes COVID-19, is expected to continue to circulate in communities, meaning it will be considered endemic like many other diseases. The endemicity also means that surveillance priority will change from monitoring case numbers to monitoring disease severity and societal impact as new waves of infection come and go. This transition does not minimize the continued importance of public health surveillance, investigation, and response activities, as is necessary to mitigate any disease.

“As we enter this phase of our state’s recovery, we continue to encourage Missourians to safeguard their own health and the health of loved ones through tried and true public health measures,” said Department of Health and Senior Services Acting Director Paula Nickelson. “Missourians should feel confident that we will remain vigilant when monitoring COVID-19 levels throughout the state.”
Old 04-07-22, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 300 Likes on 212 Posts

So I've had a sore throat for a couple days now (no other symptoms as far as I can tell), so I'm immediately thinking covid. I am triple-vaxxed.
I have a covid test scheduled for Monday, so we'll see.
Old 04-07-22, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,778 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
So I've had a sore throat for a couple days now (no other symptoms as far as I can tell), so I'm immediately thinking covid. I am triple-vaxxed.
I have a covid test scheduled for Monday, so we'll see.
Why wait until Monday? Aren't there any free COVID testing sites in your area? There's one in my area that does Rapid or PCR.
Old 04-07-22, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts

We're signed up for 2nd boosters tomorrow after work, getting flu shots as well. In spite of our Governor, the state health apparatus is still fighting the good fight.
The following 2 users liked this post by AGuyNamedMike:
danwiz (04-08-22), Norm de Plume (04-07-22)
Old 04-08-22, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 300 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Why wait until Monday? Aren't there any free COVID testing sites in your area? There's one in my area that does Rapid or PCR.
I wasn't "waiting" until Monday, I already scheduled one more than a month ago because it was required for an upcoming procedure.
I ended up using one of the tests we got through the USPS, and it came out negative.
My sore throat is gone, and now I have mild sniffles.
I guess you can still catch a common cold!
Old 04-08-22, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I wasn't "waiting" until Monday, I already scheduled one more than a month ago because it was required for an upcoming procedure.
I ended up using one of the tests we got through the USPS, and it came out negative.
My sore throat is gone, and now I have mild sniffles.
I guess you can still catch a common cold!
I'm not sure about the rapid tests you received, but i know some are now recommending cheek/throat AND nasal swabbing (in that order ), as the Omicron variants are not as well detected with rapid tests.

I've been feeling out of sorts, this week, so I've done a couple of tests. They both came up negative, within the specified timeframe (15-20 minutes), but having just left them on my desk, about an hour and 45 minutes later, there was a faint curved line, in addition to the control line.

It must be some sort of residual effect from the buffer being drawn up the test strip, as it's not a line at the T (test) line, which you would expect to be straight.

This is about 2.5 hours after taking the test:
Spoiler:

Old 04-08-22, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,778 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Rochelle Walensky just posted this. Of course everyone in the comments thinks this data is bullshit and being manipulated

and I just read Covid pundit Eric Feigl Ding has Covid now.
Old 04-08-22, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 673 Likes on 480 Posts

Quebec has extended the mask mandate until April 30th. I'm probably the only one here who still has to wear a mask in stores. Not that big a deal to me.
Old 04-08-22, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 750 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Quebec has extended the mask mandate until April 30th. I'm probably the only one here who still has to wear a mask in stores. Not that big a deal to me.
Good for Quebec. Our imbeciles lifted all mandates a couple of weeks ago, and duh, whaddya know, cases have taken flight again and we're in the sixth wave. Based on my limited observation, most people here (>75%) are still masking.
Old 04-08-22, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Good for Quebec. Our imbeciles lifted all mandates a couple of weeks ago, and duh, whaddya know, cases have taken flight again and we're in the sixth wave. Based on my limited observation, most people here (>75%) are still masking.
Ooh, you're lucky. In my brief excursions, here, since the removal of mandates, I would say maybe 30% are still wearing masks. That's based on trips to Costco, a supermarket, and going to a local hockey game. Disappointing, to say the least.
Old 04-08-22, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 736 Likes on 468 Posts

We dropped our mask mandates weeks ago, schools and businesses included. Our cases have barely moved. Either there's no surge or no one is testing anymore. I've mentioned before that the testing place I drive by every day that was packed back in the winter is empty now.
Old 04-08-22, 04:28 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

So Quebec is going through the same sixth wave as Ontario but they still have a mask mandate but Ontario ending their mask mandate is the reason for their sixth wave? OK there...

Personally, I am not wearing my mask anymore and very glad to be able to.
Old 04-08-22, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 744 Likes on 533 Posts

I'd say it's about 50/50 in most of the stores I've been to (I still wear a mask in stores). And yeah, as soon as they removed the mask mandates, Covid has been spreading like wildfire in my kids' schools, while the cases were very minimal at the schools when they were wearing masks, gee what a surprise. Amazingly, my kids haven't caught it although many of their friends and classmates have (on some days nearly half of their classes are empty). Both of my kids are smartly still wearing their masks in school, that's probably why.
Old 04-08-22, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,104 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
I'd say it's about 50/50 in most of the stores I've been to (I still wear a mask in stores). And yeah, as soon as they removed the mask mandates, Covid has been spreading like wildfire in my kids' schools, while the cases were very minimal at the schools when they were wearing masks, gee what a surprise. Amazingly, my kids haven't caught it although many of their friends and classmates have (on some days nearly half of their classes are empty). Both of my kids are smartly still wearing their masks in school, that's probably why.
School is probably one of the only places where they're still testing regularly
Old 04-08-22, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 744 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
School is probably one of the only places where they're still testing regularly
Not schools here in Ontario unfortunately.
Old 04-08-22, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,104 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Not schools here in Ontario unfortunately.
Oh, how did they detect so many cases in schools then? They're all symptomatic?
Old 04-08-22, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Oh, how did they detect so many cases in schools then? They're all symptomatic?
Testing of wastewater.
Old 04-08-22, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 714 Likes on 514 Posts

Testing of wastewater.
I could see that detecting Covid but how does that determine numbers?
Old 04-09-22, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
I could see that detecting Covid but how does that determine numbers?
Mea culpa. It doesn't determine numbers, just increases and decreases.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.