COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Old 03-16-22, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 589 Likes on 372 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Sorry I decided to delete the post. I was hitting political territory and I donít want to derail this. My apologies for that.
Fair enough, and you're probably right. I'll just say that the "concerned mothers" who have been vocal enough to be featured on the news around here re: Virginia's rather infamous legal/political battle over school masking were parents of immunocompromised children, etc. I can't really blame them.
Old 03-16-22, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Yeah totally 2 colleagues of mine who I worked with a few days ago were still wearing masks even though it's optional now. I did not even bring it up because that's their choice even though they didn't have to.

But, there was one guy who brought it up and said "Why are you wearing a mask still?" and my colleague said "And....?"

For both sides. Don't be a jerk and shame someone for not wearing a mask and don't be a jerk bragging that's you're all high and mighty and "safe" because you choose to wear one.
Some people just like being responsible even when it's not required. What a cult!
Old 03-16-22, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts

Drew Hernandez? Really?

Thank you for deleting. Be well.
Old 03-17-22, 11:20 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I went to Target yesterday and it was the first time I felt a bit out of place for wearing a mask. I noticed a few but most, including employees, were not. I will still wear one for the foreseeable future. I'm 66, slightly Immunocompromised plus I haven't had a cold in over two years. I do admit I've slipped in washing my hands often and using sanitizer. I believe I need to resume that also.
The following users liked this post:
Norm de Plume (03-17-22)
Old 03-17-22, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 750 Likes on 530 Posts

^Don't be shamed or ridiculed into removing your mask. Do what you feel is right for you. I'll wear a mask a while longer at least, depending on the direction of the pandemic, but I use hand sanitizer religiously when out in public, wherever possible. I had a bottle in the car for a couple of years before Covid arrived. Some people are pigs, and I don't wish to have their saliva, phlegm, or feces on my hands.
The following 3 users liked this post by Norm de Plume:
AGuyNamedMike (03-18-22), andicus (03-18-22), danwiz (03-18-22)
Old 03-18-22, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022...our-eyes-nose/

The Food and Drug Administration is alerting Americans to the potential dangers of at-home COVID-19 tests after receiving reports of people egregiously misusing them, resulting in injuries.

In a safety communication released Friday, the FDA said it had received reports of injuries after people used the kits' liquid test solution as eye drops or stuck the solution up their noses. "The liquid test solution is not supposed to touch your body," the FDA wrote sternly. The agency also reported that some children had been injured after putting test components in their mouths and swallowing the solution.

"The liquid solutions may include chemical ingredients, such as sodium azide, that help the test work properly or act as preservatives," the FDA wrote. "The test chemicals can be irritating or toxic if they get on your skin, nose, or eyes or if they are swallowed."
These are the same people whose very existence necessitates "DO NOT EAT" stamping on packets of desiccant commonly put in boxes of consumer electronics. Through dumb luck or sheer numbers (or both), a lot of these people survive to adulthood and, being too dim to negotiate the intricacies of successful birth control use, end up having lots of offspring and perpetuating this problem.
Old 03-18-22, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,104 Likes on 861 Posts

For people that can't or won't read instructions, they even have handy videos for how to work these tests. But that's not the worst part. What about the slightly less incompetent people who don't actually injure themselves but also don't use the test the right way and don't accurately report their COVID self reported status?
Old 03-18-22, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022...nes-ba-2-looms

Vaccine-makers Moderna and Pfizer have now both submitted requests for the US Food and Drug Administration to authorize fourth doses—second boosters—of their COVID-19 vaccines.

Pfizer, along with vaccine partner BioNTech, announced Tuesday that they had asked the FDA to authorize fourth doses for adults age 65 and above. The move followed days of Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla saying in press interviews that a fourth shot is "necessary" for everyone.

Late Thursday, Moderna announced that it, too, had asked the FDA to authorize fourth doses—for all adults. Moderna addressed the broader request in its announcement, saying it’s intended to "provide flexibility" for the FDA and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to decide for themselves who should get a fourth dose—whether it's specific age groups and/or groups with higher risks of disease.

The outlook for the submissions is murky. On one hand, real-world data indicates that protection from three doses is waning against omicron, particularly against infection. And although cases in the US are in decline for now, a yet-more-transmissible version of omicron—BA.2—continues to increase in prevalence. It's now estimated to account for 23 percent of cases in the US, furthering its steady progress in usurping the initial omicron variant, BA.1. The rise of BA.2, coupled with widespread relaxation of mitigation efforts, such as mask wearing and distancing, have many experts anticipating another rise in cases, as is currently happening in many countries in Europe. Already, SARS-CoV-2 levels in US wastewater are rising, signaling an early warning of increasing transmission. Together, this all makes an argument for use of a fourth dose now, at least in vulnerable populations.

But, on the other hand, it's unclear how much a fourth dose would help to prevent infections and how long such gains would last. Though vaccine effectiveness does appear to be waning across the board, protection from hospitalization and death remains strong. (Effectiveness against hospitalization four months after a third dose fell from 91 percent to 78 percent, CDC data found recently.) And much of the data on the effectiveness of fourth doses comes from Israel, where fourth boosters have been offered to several groups—including people age 60 and above, as well as health workers and people at high risk of exposure or disease—but only for a short period of time so far.

In one study, carried out with the help of the Israeli Ministry of Health, Israeli researchers analyzed health records of more than 1.1 million people age 60 and over who were eligible for a fourth dose amid the omicron wave. People with a fourth dose were two times less likely to be infected and around four times less likely to have severe COVID-19 compared with people who had only three shots, the analysis found. However, fourth doses were only recently offered, and the study period was short. The researchers weren't able to look at effectiveness past the first 23 days after a fourth dose. The study was posted online on a pre-print server and has not yet been peer-reviewed.

In another study published Wednesday in The New England Journal of Medicine, fourth doses seemed less useful against omicron. Researchers examined data on 1,050 Israeli health care workers who were eligible for fourth shots. Of those, 154 received a fourth dose of the Pfizer vaccine and 120 received a fourth dose of the Moderna vaccine. Overall, the fourth doses appeared safe and bolstered waning antibody levels compared with those in matched controls. However, effectiveness against infection was modest at best. While 25 percent of health workers in the control group were infected, so were 18 percent of people who got a fourth dose of the Pfizer vaccine and 21 percent of people who got a fourth dose of the Moderna vaccine.
I saw the L.A. Times article about the NEJOM study yesterday or the day before and it had one of those typically awful and misleading headlines: Second COVID booster shot does little to stop Omicron, study finds. It should not be news to anyone who has been paying attention that the mRNA vaccine effectiveness against infection of Omicron has been, at best, unremarkable. Why should a fourth dose be any different. File that under "D" for "Duh!"

The 13-point drop in the real measure of effectiveness, keeping people out of hospitals and, you know, dying after just four months should be concerning as hell. We have a whole shitload of people who are going to be passing four months since their last booster very soon now. Even assuming that the rate effectiveness declination is linear, we are going to have effectiveness in the 50s and 60s for a lot of people, including those most vulnerable and in high-risk occupations, very soon now.

We know it's safe. We know it raises the antibody levels back up. We know BA.2 is here, is very infectious, and is spreading. Authorize the fourth shot for Christ's sake.
Old 03-21-22, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 750 Likes on 530 Posts

Today was the first day of most Covid-related mandates being lifted here in Ontario, and I just so happened to go grocery shopping this afternoon. I was encouraged to take note that about 95% of shoppers were masked.
The following 3 users liked this post by Norm de Plume:
Adam Tyner (03-25-22), AGuyNamedMike (03-22-22), andicus (03-21-22)
Old 03-23-22, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 455 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Today was the first day of most Covid-related mandates being lifted here in Ontario, and I just so happened to go grocery shopping this afternoon. I was encouraged to take note that about 95% of shoppers were masked.
Same. I walked through the local mall and most people are still masked. Went to the movies on the weekend and it was kind of 50/50. Public transport, at least in Ottawa, still requires masking. Then are are some places like the National Arts Centre that is still enforcing the policy as well as requesting vax check (which ended before the mask mandate removal). It will be interesting come summer when the bigger music festivals return and how all that rolls out.
Old 03-24-22, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 246 Likes on 135 Posts

A step back at work. They're re-instituting safe-tags. Safe-tags are small electronic fobs we have to wear for contact tracing.
Old 03-24-22, 12:50 PM

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

My office re-opened for business last week and after two days, management announced that two employees had tested positive for COVID. They still had people go in on Wednesday, but I guess when word got out that employees with the virus had been at work, people started raising concerns. By late morning, HR implemented the Negan protocol and shut the shit down, telling everybody to go home and monitor themselves for symptoms. The office is now closed until the second week of April.

Just wondering what other companies are doing in cases of employees with COVID having shown up for work.
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (03-25-22)
Old 03-24-22, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,104 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by L Everett Scott View Post
My office re-opened for business last week and after two days, management announced that two employees had tested positive for COVID. They still had people go in on Wednesday, but I guess when word got out that employees with the virus had been at work, people started raising concerns. By late morning, HR implemented the Negan protocol and shut the shit down, telling everybody to go home and monitor themselves for symptoms. The office is now closed until the second week of April.

Just wondering what other companies are doing in cases of employees with COVID having shown up for work.
At my kids' school if they have a positive test, the send the kid home. However the test doesn't come back until a day later so they have at least a day in school. So they send a note home to the school, but they no longer consider even kids sitting next to them as close contact cases so they don't do jack until the next week's test (obviously unless someone shows symptoms).
Old 03-24-22, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 837 Likes on 554 Posts

After I stopped working there, the protocol was that employees measured their own temperature when they entered the building and self-reported. If they got sick with Covid, they received ten days paid leave and were expected back at work on day eleven.

Yes they were critical workers. They were manufacturing drugs, including a Covid vaccine. It's still pretty plain that corporate wasn't overly concerned about the health of employees.
Old 03-24-22, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,777 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Korean doctor said in deleted post if you haven’t caught Covid, you have no friends and have interpersonal problems

Old 03-25-22, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 744 Likes on 533 Posts

I haven't caught Covid.
The following 2 users liked this post by cultshock:
Kurt D (03-26-22), Norm de Plume (03-25-22)
Old 03-25-22, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts

Or, you could just have transitioned from a youthful social butterfly phase into a mature quiet homebody phase...

Old 03-25-22, 11:50 AM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
I haven't worn mine since Monday and I won't wear it again even if mandates come back since they're never enforced anyway.
Old 03-25-22, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

My company's been rolling out their return policies, with plans to have us all return next week (I'm not going in, no matter what they say). Originally they said that someone could test positive for COVID but if they were asymptomatic it was "their choice" if they come in or not. People freaked out, and rightly so. They walked that back. They're only requiring masks because we demanded it. But there's a lot of other stupidity that they just won't budge on, and I think they're going to have a little worker's rebellions on their hands, which I'll happily participate in.
Old 03-25-22, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,777 Likes on 1,308 Posts

So now that my office has been mask free going on 3 weeks now and I've gone to most places mask free as well. I decided to go ahead and get a free COVID test done today. Just for piece of mind. It was one of those drive thru centers at my local mall. Piece of cake, registered on the health app they use, they swabbed my nose 5-6 times per nostril and then I was good. Results came back about 20 minutes later. All good, negative.
Old 03-25-22, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
Or, you could just have transitioned from a youthful social butterfly phase into a mature quiet homebody phase...

Well, that's probably true. But I do have friends and a successful interpersonal relationship (wait, let me ask my wife about that first).

I'm still wearing a mask during quick trips to the store, probably just out of habit more than anything, but yesterday we went to a restaurant completely maskless for the first time in two years (the whole not needing to wear a mask while sitting at your table eating, but having to put it on when you got up to go to the restroom was completely meaningless theater anyway)

Old 03-25-22, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yay! Way sooner than I was expecting:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/25/u...americans.html

Biden Administration Plans to Offer Second Booster Shots to Those 50 and Up

After fraught discussions, officials decided that another shot might save thousands of lives if a new coronavirus wave hit before the fall. The F.D.A. could authorize the boosters next week.

WASHINGTON — The Biden administration is planning to give Americans age 50 or older the option of a second booster of the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna coronavirus vaccine without recommending outright that they get one, according to several people familiar with the plan.

Major uncertainties have complicated the decision, including how long the protection from a second booster would last, how to explain the plan to the public and even whether the overall goal is to shield Americans from severe disease or from less serious infections as well, since they could lead to long Covid.

Much depends on when the next wave of Covid infections will hit, and how hard. Should the nation be hit by a virulent surge in the next few months, offering a second booster now for older Americans could arguably save thousands of lives and prevent tens of thousands of hospitalizations.

But if no major wave hits until the fall, extra shots now could turn out to be a questionable intervention that wastes vaccine doses, deepens vaccination fatigue and sows doubt about the government’s strategy. The highly contagious Omicron subvariant BA.2 is helping to drive another surge of coronavirus cases in Europe and is responsible for about a third of new cases in the United States, but health officials have said they do not anticipate a major surge caused by the subvariant.

The age 50 cutoff is also a big drop compared to first wave shot allowances done in the past as well. Being 50, I don't even have to play my "first responder" card this time.

As for the reasons for reluctance, they kind of make no sense:
  • "questionable intervention that wastes vaccine doses" - Huh? As if anyone is still not able to get a shot that wants it. If anything, this might allow hundreds of thousands of doses aging in freezers right now to actually be used for something instead of expiring. Almost no one is getting vaccine shots right now. I suppose these are doses that might be donated overseas, but I have not seen any recent stories about major vaccine shortages elsewhere either, although I suppose those stories may have just been drowned out by Ukraine news.
  • "deepens vaccination fatigue" - In this case, offering them for those who want them alleviates this, and frankly I am not sure this is a legitimate concern anyway. Even the anti-vaxxers no longer give a shit so long as they don't feel like they are forced to get them anymore.
  • "sows doubt about the government’s strategy" - I cannot speak for anyone else, but finally opening up another booster option ameliorates my current doubts about government vaccine strategy, not the other way around.
BA.2 is here now. Will we get another major surge? Maybe, maybe not, but it, as well as BA.1, are still very much out there.
Old 03-25-22, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 519 Likes on 418 Posts

I had to look up "vaccination fatigue", and am still confused on its meaning. It appears to have nothing to do with vaccination side effects and / or efficacy, but is merely a subjective buzzword having to do with people's perceived frustration with vaccination scheduling, rules, and / or age limits and tiers.
Old 03-26-22, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
I had to look up "vaccination fatigue", and am still confused on its meaning. It appears to have nothing to do with vaccination side effects and / or efficacy, but is merely a subjective buzzword having to do with people's perceived frustration with vaccination scheduling, rules, and / or age limits and tiers.
Yeah, I think it's mostly fatigue about the hassle. People were used to once yearly flu shots, or not anything at all.
Old 03-26-22, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
I haven't caught Covid.
Oops, just found out that two of my son's classmates/friends have Covid, and he eats lunch with them at the same table (and mask requirements were dropped in Ontario a week or two ago). Let's see how this turns out, ugh!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.