COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Old 09-27-21, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 239 Likes on 150 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
So, eXcentris is wrong in his figure of 55% above? Or is 55% the number of people who are fully vaccinated? Seems odd that 21% of those "eligible" obviously not including ages 0-11, would have gotten one stab, but completed the full 2-shot treatment? Or is 76% just a very high, possibly erroneous estimate? If I had to guess I'd put the correct figure at more like 60% vs 76% but I don't have any reliable data at hand.
Right, All ages vs those eligible to vaccinate, fully vaccinated vs at least one dose plus your claim that the 45% were anti vax. Lots of conflation in your reply.
Old 09-27-21, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 345 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
She claims she's had spells of fogginess, not clear headed, and that she's only been experiencing these things since she got vaccinated
That's all in her head then. That's not really a side effect of the vaccine this far removed from the administration.

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
They did reduce the dosage by 2/3rds from age 12 to age 11, so there is some idea that a full dosage isn't needed at that cut-off. I guess they don't have a lot of time to do enough studies to account for more variables than just age.
Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
I have a nephew that is 6'2" tall and about 200lbs, he is 12. I really think a weight specifier would make sense. Oh he is likely going to be close to 7' tall, his dad is 6'10" and all his uncles on that side are similar heights. The height weight chart pegs him off the charts.
As Decker already stated vaccines aren't weight based dosing. A lot of medications are not weight based and especially for vaccines you have to have a cut off. Practically it doesn't make any sense to have an individual dose for specific weight. That would be unnecessarily complex and increase the chances for medication dosing errors to occur.

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Well, I was a 25-week preemie who survived (that was quite a feat in the mid-1960s), and you learn something new every day. There certainly was no expensive $1000 RSV shot back then (that I know of!), but I know these babies usually died from immature respiratory systems and under respiratory distress, But, being in an incubator for the first 3 months at Children's hospital on 100% o2, I didn't get off scot-free, for I developed RLF (now they call it retinopathy of prematurity, I believe). Are the monthly RSV shots truly effective in preventing mortality and morbidity in these preemies, or is it, as I suspect, also a marketing gimmick? What is the "expected" medical protocol for babies this premature (< 28 weeks) nowadays?
Seriously?! WTF do you think the hundreds of millions of dollars in research to develop a drug goes into? The marketing department? What do you think the FDA is for? To evaluate marketing strategies? Just because it's expensive you think it's a marketing gimmick? Come on you're smarter then that.

palivizumab (Synagis) is not a vaccine but a monoclonal antibody. You can tell because all drugs that end in a -mab are monoclonal antibodies. They are similar to the experimental drugs that are being used to fight covid now. At least in terms of what kind of medication they are. Due to it's high cost and also since I don't think we really get reimbursed for it on the inpatient side we have pretty strict criteria for using it. It's mainly used for very premature babies < 29 weeks with some kind of pulmonary defect. Either due to prematurity, cystic fibrosis, severely immunocompromised, being on ECMO, or having a heart transplant or something similar to that.

Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
It sounds kind of like in biology class when they talk about all the parasites you're covered in and you start feeling really gross and Howard Hughesy, but you've always been covered in them. You're fine.

COVID's not fine, but without any context, I think you're right those numbers aren't going to be particularly helpful. Would be better if there was some way (backed by research) to give ratings or an overall exposure level graded A to E or something like that. Maybe revive that old terrorist watch color code for COVID!
I've been very critical of a lot of the CDC's recommendations through this pandemic but one of the things I really hate about how they've handled it is how a lot of their recommendations are painted with a very broad brush. They define an exposure as spending 15 minutes within distance (either 3 or 6 feet) unmasked. To me there's absolutely different grades of exposure. So according to the CDC standing next to someone with covid on a bus for 15 minutes is the same as living with someone in the same household that has covid. They are also slow to change any guidelines based on new data.

Last edited by tanman; 09-27-21 at 11:15 PM.
Old 09-27-21, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
That's so exciting. We check newborns for CF with the newborn screen so you should get confirmation really soon, but if the amnio says no CF, you are probably already in the clear. It's a bummer you both are carriers. One thing to note : Having the diagnosis at birth really makes the prognosis a LOT better - - you don't do massive damage to the lungs before diagnosis any more and that has lead to much better outcomes. I have 3-4 CF patients and they're all doing really well on medication and chest percussive therapies.

Yes Covid is really rough on pregnant mothers, but I think the vaccinated ones do well. I have seen a few disasters in the unvaccinated ones. When I hear a pregnant mother state that she wants to wait until her baby is born to get the shot, I am just floored. That's waiting until you get to Disneyland before doing up your seatbelt. Somebody asked me what did I think could happen to their unborn baby if she got the vaccine while pregnant. I gave her the honest answer : Maybe the baby is born with some Covid antibodies. That's it.
Unfortunately we've seen a LOT of poor outcomes from pregnant women who were unvaccinated. Quite a few have ended up intubated in the MICU for several days and we've unfortunately had some with bad outcomes either from the mother or in a few instances the mother and the baby. I don't think I've mentioned it before but my father is a neonatologist (just recently semiretired) and he says the OB docs are sectioning the babies at very young gestational ages if the mother is COVID positive because of all of the poor outcomes. Things can go south really fast for pregnant women. I theorize that a lot of it has to do with clots. We learned pretty early on that a lot of patients dying from COVID developed massive amounts of clots which is frequently what ultimately killed them. So it's what's called a hypercoagulable disease state. Pregnancy itself can also be a hypercoagulable disease state. So I think a lot of it is the combination of the two as well as a lot of the fluid shifts that happen during pregnancy could also be a contributing factor in terms of oxygenation. That's just my theory though. IMO pregnant women are at the top of the list for those that should get vaccinated. We should be pushing hard for them to get vaccinated. It's a bigger impact on society when these poor outcomes occur in otherwise young healthy mothers and their babies. And honestly pregnant women are lucky now. Not even a year ago I had a colleague that was faced with a difficult decision when she was about 6 months pregnant when Pfizer first hit the market. There was zero data in pregnant women and considering the novel mechanism of action of the vaccine there were a lot of unknowns. Now we have plenty of data showing that benefits of vaccinating far outweigh the risks and there are no reports of birth defects or other complications in pregnancy.
Old 09-27-21, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Today's story : So today in my office I saw a 9 month old baby for a Well Child Check. This baby was a former 28 week premie (three months early, very premature). As the baby was so early, he gets a monthly shot called Synagis at the pulmonologist office. It's a very expensive treatment, $1000 per injection monthly, to prevent him from getting RSV, which is a winter-time upper respiratory virus that can make premature babies very, very sick. Now I saw this baby two weeks ago for a cold-like illness. We have one test for Covid and it's combined with a flu A & B test. No separate rapid test, just a combo from Sofia, results in 15 minutes. So I saw this kid two weeks ago, tested for Covid, Flu and RSV. Kid had Flu B.
But that was 2 weeks ago. He's better now. Here for shots and well check. So I give him his flu shot and he's doing great. Then at the end of the visit mom says she needs a Negative flu test before he can get his monthly RSV Synagis shot. Can I retest him? I say "Sure". We swab him. Test comes back Positive for RSV and Positive for Covid. I ask mom "You did get vaccinated for Covid, right?" She says "No". Of course not.
So now I have a former 28 week infant who was sitting maskless (obviously) in my Well Child Waiting Room with god knows how many other "Well" children. Now if we have someone who we think might have Covid, they wait in the car and then when a room is ready, they are shuttled in by gowned MAs wearing face shields and N95 masks. Nothing like that for this kid. At least he wasn't coughing or anything.
But it just goes to show, you can never assume you're safe unless you're fully vaccinated, and even then you've got to be careful.
That's such an eye rolling situation. I don't know how a mother of a premature child could not want to be vaccinated. That just boggles the mind.

How has RSV season been in Vegas? Here in the Southeast we had a very late and very hard hitting RSV season. Usually ours runs from September to April but we saw a pretty significant spike in the summer. In fact I suspect I caught it in July. The family came down with some mild illness that wasn't COVID. When I got it I was over it in a couple days but I had a lingering cough that lasted for a couple months.

Old 09-27-21, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I mentioned in the Political thread, the FDA and CDC just approved a booster dose for those 65+, those 50+ with risk factors and those at high risk of exposure like Healthcare Workers, who received the Pfizer vaccine > 6 mo ago. Since I fall into at least one of those groups, and since I had a vial of vaccine already constituted and sitting on the counter in my office that was due to be wasted in a few hours, I went ahead and got myself a booster today. I figured I wanted to do it on a Friday so that if I felt sick the next day, I wouldn't have to worry about missing work. Got the shot, hung out for 10 minutes, no reaction. Uploaded my record to the statewide vaccine database cloud (and it showed as accepted, so they've already set up allowances for boosters). So far, so good. No soreness or redness or any other symptoms. We shall see how I feel tomorrow.

I beat you to it this time Decker. I got the booster 3 weeks ago. Our hospital just basically forget the FDA and CDC we're going to go ahead and start administering boosters . I was thinking about starting a new thread but at the time it was really busy at work. If you're going to get a booster basically expect the same thing you had with the second shot. My dad just got his and didn't have anything. I had the same terrible course with a TMax of 104 about 36 hours after getting the shot. Then a couple days of feeling crappy after that.
Old 09-28-21, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,178 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
That's such an eye rolling situation. I don't know how a mother of a premature child could not want to be vaccinated. That just boggles the mind.

How has RSV season been in Vegas? Here in the Southeast we had a very late and very hard hitting RSV season. Usually ours runs from September to April but we saw a pretty significant spike in the summer. In fact I suspect I caught it in July. The family came down with some mild illness that wasn't COVID. When I got it I was over it in a couple days but I had a lingering cough that lasted for a couple months.
Yeah that case was maddening. Mother is fine with Medicaid picking up a tab of thousands of dollars to keep her kid from getting one potentially deadly respiratory disease, but do the bare minimum herself and get a free shot to protect her infant from getting another one that is an epidemic currently? No can do! And I can guarantee that she didn't "research" Synagis before giving it to the baby.
Our RSV season hasn't been too bad. I've only written for a few nebulizers this season. But we are seeing a little.
I got RSV during first year of Residency. We could either work 4 days during Christmas and have four days of New Year's off or vice versa. Being Jewish, I decided I would work Christmas and take New Year's off. It was my first time ever working in the Pediatric ICU. I was taking care of a tiny baby with RSV in the unit. After I was done with my week working there, I have my four days off for New Years. During that time I got the worst case of RSV. Thick yellow snot poured out of my nose in shockingly huge amounts. I was totally sick and couldn't enjoy any of my time off. A week later my then girlfriend, now wife, got a case exactly the same thing with all the gross mucus. She was so mad at me.

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
I beat you to it this time Decker. I got the booster 3 weeks ago. Our hospital just basically forget the FDA and CDC we're going to go ahead and start administering boosters . I was thinking about starting a new thread but at the time it was really busy at work. If you're going to get a booster basically expect the same thing you had with the second shot. My dad just got his and didn't have anything. I had the same terrible course with a TMax of 104 about 36 hours after getting the shot. Then a couple days of feeling crappy after that.
That was one shot I was in NO HURRY to get! ​​​​​​
I knew I had really good antibodies due to the test I did to myself late in August. Knowing that, I knew I would just wait until it was actually approved by the FDA and CDC before I even bothered to get one. I was concerned that it would be not well tolerated, and sure enough I've still got a big lump and my arm is red itchy and sore. I never felt bad or ill, so at least I had that going for me
Old 09-28-21, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That was one shot I was in NO HURRY to get! ​​​​​​
I knew I had really good antibodies due to the test I did to myself late in August. Knowing that, I knew I would just wait until it was actually approved by the FDA and CDC before I even bothered to get one. I was concerned that it would be not well tolerated, and sure enough I've still got a big lump and my arm is red itchy and sore. I never felt bad or ill, so at least I had that going for me
I'm definitely not so gung-ho on the boosters. I was a lot more hesitant then the initial shot because there is a lot less data on the boosters at this point in time so it's difficult to do a risk vs benefit calculation. It's likely fine and likely needed but we're just not quite sure. But I figured I'd go ahead and get it over with. My dad too since he's over 70. My wife and my mom both had Moderna at the same time in March and I'm not suggesting them get boosters at this point in time. We've started doing vaccine drives at the hospital again but unfortunately most of them have just been boosters. It's crazy to me that even in the hospital you have a surprising subset of people that are just refusing to get the shot. For physicians and pharmacists it's way over 90%. Nurses though are still hovering around 50-60%.
Old 09-29-21, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 405 Likes on 297 Posts

Got an email today from the VA hospital that they are giving booster shots. I have to wait until the Moderna booster gets approved. But I'll get boosted first chance I get.
The following 2 users liked this post by TomOpus:
AGuyNamedMike (10-21-21), story (09-30-21)
Old 09-30-21, 02:06 AM

Received 590 Likes on 354 Posts

Our youngest has to quarantine for two weeks because she's considered a close contact to a classmate with Covid. We've all tested negative, but it was a scary 24 hours. We are so close to the vaccine for kids. Keeping her home for two weeks? Well, I'm pretty much fine with it, as that gets us into mid-October and the vaccine may be ready as early as Halloween.

I'm eligible for my booster through work and was planning on getting it Sunday afternoon but I'm already scheduled for a flu shot that morning. I'm not seeing anything on whether to do this on the same day is a good idea or not.
Old 09-30-21, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can get them at the same time.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/season/faq-f...-2021-2022.htm

Yes, you can get a COVID-19 vaccine and a flu vaccine at the same time.

Even though both vaccines can be given at the same visit, people should follow the recommended schedule for either vaccine: If you haven’t gotten your currently recommended doses of COVID-19 vaccine, get a COVID-19 vaccine as soon as you can, and ideally get a flu vaccine by the end of October.
Old 09-30-21, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 851 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by story View Post
Our youngest has to quarantine for two weeks because she's considered a close contact to a classmate with Covid. We've all tested negative, but it was a scary 24 hours. We are so close to the vaccine for kids. Keeping her home for two weeks? Well, I'm pretty much fine with it, as that gets us into mid-October and the vaccine may be ready as early as Halloween.

I'm eligible for my booster through work and was planning on getting it Sunday afternoon but I'm already scheduled for a flu shot that morning. I'm not seeing anything on whether to do this on the same day is a good idea or not.
Wait, she has to quarantine for two weeks? I figured if you were a close contact you just had to get a few negative tests in a row?
Old 09-30-21, 09:25 AM

I left a message for the school nurse this morning since we didn't get our results until late last night, so we'll see on the quarantine.

I think we'll do another test either today or tomorrow, too. The state has free spit tests (with free, same-day delivery, once it was even same-hour) where you spit into a vial in front of someone on Zoom who watches you do it correctly,, then you mail it and get results in 24-48 hours, though it seems to take closer to less than a day.
Old 10-04-21, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 337 Likes on 209 Posts

I got a text from the county saying that I can now schedule a Pfizer booster shot, since I'm a teacher and it's been 6 months since my 2nd dose. Going to do it soon, hopefully. We have no mask mandates and very minimal contact tracing/quarantining this year at school, so a booster will give me a little more peace of mind.
The following users liked this post:
emanon (10-04-21)
Old 10-04-21, 07:56 PM

Friendly word of advice : Get it on a Friday afternoon, on a weekend where you have no plans. The booster just wiped out my co-worker all weekend.
danwiz (10-05-21)
Old 10-04-21, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 337 Likes on 209 Posts

^Yeah, that's the plan. My 2nd dose made me feel really tired for about a day-and-a-half, and then I was fine.

My parents both got their boosters recently, though, and neither one of them felt any effects beyond a sore shoulder for a couple of days.
Old 10-04-21, 10:05 PM

I'm also eligible for a booster and plan to get mine Thursday. That said, I had a little fatigue after my original shots but that was it.
Old 10-04-21, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 467 Likes on 375 Posts

Got my regular flu shot today. We had one of those vaccine banks stop by our site. Not a bad turnout all things considered. 51 people got their covid vaccine and 72 got the regular flu shot. It's a rough neighborhood, so getting those 51 folks covid vaccinated is a big feat.

I'm just waiting until Moderna gets the go ahead for the booster shot. We'll see how long that takes since I hear they'll be doing tiers again in terms of priority.
The following 2 users liked this post by Why So Blu?:
AGuyNamedMike (10-05-21), danwiz (10-05-21)
Old 10-21-21, 02:02 PM

Exciting news : I just got a call from the NV state Vaccine program. They will be shipping me 600 doses of new Pfizer Covid vaccine (it's a different vaccine, apparently) for children ages 5-11 on Nov 1 or 2. They expect FDA approval 2 days later. Once that approval comes down we will be up and running immediately for any school child that wants it. This is big.

It can be kept in the Fridge for 10 weeks.

(Going to double post in the non-political Forum so everyone is aware of this timeline).
The following 5 users liked this post by Decker:
AGuyNamedMike (10-21-21), cultshock (10-21-21), story (10-21-21), tanman (10-25-21), zyzzle (10-21-21)
Old 10-21-21, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by story View Post
If it wasn't grossly inconvenient and more than a little foolhardy for a multistate road trip, I would be honored to bring my kids to your clinic and have you personally give them their COVID-19 vaccine once it's approved.
Exciting news : I just got a call from the NV state Vaccine program. They will be shipping me 600 doses of new Pfizer Covid vaccine (it's a different vaccine, apparently) for children ages 5-11 on Nov 1 or 2. They expect FDA approval 2 days later. Once that approval comes down we will be up and running immediately for any school child that wants it. This is big.

(Going to double post in the non-political Forum so everyone is aware of this timeline).
Awesome news. Maybe I will bring the family to Vegas!
Old 10-21-21, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Great new. lousy timing that there's a vaccine for younger kids right after my son turns 12.

One little thing I miss from the height of the pandemic is that one site I work at turned all the bathrooms to unisex and single occupancy. It was nice to have guaranteed privacy in the bathroom at work. Now they have gone back to normal and I had to stop and make sure I wasn't going into the wrong bathroom.

Last edited by Kevin Phillips; 10-21-21 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-21-21, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

Great to hear, hopefully more up North in in WA state. My 10 year old is ready.
Old 10-21-21, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 310 Likes on 241 Posts

Amazing! What is more astounding is that they *ship* the vaccine to Docs even before FDA approval. That's speedy service. Now, I wonder how many of your (adult) patients with their children will "allow" their younger children to get the wonderful vaccine. I truly hope that it is a high number of your patients.

And now, what happens with kids aged 0 to 4? They're not getting any vaccine yet?
Old 10-21-21, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 471 Likes on 344 Posts

Just to make sure it wasn't a total loss if the FDA didn't approve, they did ship all those doses inside free ink pens and golf tees.
emanon (10-22-21)
Old 10-22-21, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 405 Likes on 297 Posts

Waiting for my VA hospital to announce when/how they'll do more boosters. They had done the Pfizer one. Should be soon. I had my second Moderna shot last April.
Old 10-22-21, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Waiting for my VA hospital to announce when/how they'll do more boosters. They had done the Pfizer one. Should be soon. I had my second Moderna shot last April.
Of course there's no rush, but it you want you can Mix & Match booster shots, the FDA said this week.
CDC expands eligibility for Covid booster shots, endorses ‘mix and match’ approach

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.