Reload this Page >

COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Old 09-17-21, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

I got the Janky & Janky vaccine in April and if a booster is recommended, I'm going to definitely skip it. I refuse to get bamboozled by that company again.

I plan to let it "wear out" into 2022 and hopefully get Pfizer or Moderna if necessary.

Old 09-18-21, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Anyone have a SO who has a different stance than you about the vaccine?

I am MAJOR pro vaccination. She is fully vaxxed, but regrets it and thinks she's experienced side effects from it. I've chosen to agree to disagree about the vaccine's effectiveness and worthwhileness, but if she were anyone else it would have turned into a screaming match and more
Old 09-18-21, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Osiris, I don't see how you can stand each other if you disagree on something so fundamental as public health, safety, and efficacy of vaccines. It would be like living with a smoker, you'd never get away from the unplesantness, now matter how hard you tried... there it would be permeating your every encounter.
Old 09-18-21, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 319 Likes on 232 Posts

To be fair she did get the shot and if she regrets it because of side effects, perceived or not, that's different. Seems like more of a personal thing? Or is she against vaccines in general now. What side effects did she say she got from the shot?
Old 09-19-21, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

"Regrets it because of the side effects" smells like, "I fell down the anti-vax disinformation rabbit hole after I was already vaccinated" to me.
Old 09-20-21, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Osiris, I don't see how you can stand each other if you disagree on something so fundamental as public health, safety, and efficacy of vaccines. It would be like living with a smoker, you'd never get away from the unplesantness, now matter how hard you tried... there it would be permeating your every encounter.
Actually, I know of a relationship that is in disagreement over a major topic but they still get along great: my parents. My mom is a diehard Catholic who prays and goes to church every Sunday, my dad is a diehard Atheist who thinks it's all nonsense. They've been happily married for 30 years. Point being, you can still have a good relationship with someone even if you disagree on sensitive topics

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
To be fair she did get the shot and if she regrets it because of side effects, perceived or not, that's different. Seems like more of a personal thing? Or is she against vaccines in general now. What side effects did she say she got from the shot?
She claims she's had spells of fogginess, not clear headed, and that she's only been experiencing these things since she got vaccinated

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
"Regrets it because of the side effects" smells like, "I fell down the anti-vax disinformation rabbit hole after I was already vaccinated" to me.
Her best friend is strongly opposed to vaccination and is not vaccinated. Think she's gotten in her head
Old 09-21-21, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 356 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
She claims she's had spells of fogginess, not clear headed, and that she's only been experiencing these things since she got vaccinated
If she's experiencing fogginess, how does she know when it started, unless she wrote it down (like a daily journal)? Could be coincidental.
Old 09-21-21, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,055 Likes on 1,322 Posts

Originally Posted by story View Post
I read in the Washington Post news brief, "The Seven," this morning that Pfizer is likely to submit a vaccine for emergency use authorization for children ages 5-11 in October and children younger than that soon thereafter. I cried I was so happy.
I wouldn't expect approval before Thanksgiving at the earliest.

I have lots of vaccine in my freezer just waiting for my 5-11 year old patients. But until it's approved we just have to wait.
Old 09-21-21, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts

Good to hear on the Pfizer for 5 - 11 year olds. My 10 year old wants to get it and that will help now that they are back to in person learning.
Old 09-21-21, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 226 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post

I have lots of vaccine in my freezer just waiting for my 5-11 year old patients. But until it's approved we just have to wait.
I read that the dosage for an 11 year old is 1/3rd of the dosage for a 12 year old. Why can't they make dosage based on other factors like weight? Same with giving a 5 year old the same dosage as an 11 year old. Seems like a huge range.
Old 09-21-21, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
I read that the dosage for an 11 year old is 1/3rd of the dosage for a 12 year old. Why can't they make dosage based on other factors like weight? Same with giving a 5 year old the same dosage as an 11 year old. Seems like a huge range.
That's how many vaccines are. The new flu shots are the same dose 6 mo olds or adults. But a six month old actually has to get a second dose the first year a month later.

It's not like medicine that gets absorbed and spread throughout the body, a vaccine is an injection into muscle designed to stimulate an immune response in the body. I suppose an adult or a toddler gets a very similar virus load to trigger an illness, so a same sized vaccine dose makes sense.
Old 09-21-21, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 226 Likes on 144 Posts

That's how many vaccines are. The new flu shots are the same dose 6 mo olds or adults. But a six month old actually has to get a second dose the first year a month later.

It's not like medicine that gets absorbed and spread throughout the body, a vaccine is an injection into muscle designed to stimulate an immune response in the body. I suppose an adult or a toddler gets a very similar virus load to trigger an illness, so a same sized vaccine dose makes sense.
They did reduce the dosage by 2/3rds from age 12 to age 11, so there is some idea that a full dosage isn't needed at that cut-off. I guess they don't have a lot of time to do enough studies to account for more variables than just age.
Old 09-21-21, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 123 Likes on 89 Posts

I have a nephew that is 6'2" tall and about 200lbs, he is 12. I really think a weight specifier would make sense. Oh he is likely going to be close to 7' tall, his dad is 6'10" and all his uncles on that side are similar heights. The height weight chart pegs him off the charts.
The following users liked this post:
AGuyNamedMike (09-21-21)
Old 09-21-21, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
I have a nephew that is 6'2" tall and about 200lbs, he is 12. I really think a weight specifier would make sense. Oh he is likely going to be close to 7' tall, his dad is 6'10" and all his uncles on that side are similar heights. The height weight chart pegs him off the charts.
He's 12. He'd get the adult dose anyway.

Like I said, while oral and intravenous medication is titrated by weight until adult weight (88 lb/40 kg), vaccines aren't. There aren't many vaccines given to both babies and adults so there aren't many comps. If an adult never had chicken pox and gets the vaccine, he gets the same two doses as a 12 month old would (just a month apart not three years like a toddler would). Both adults and babies get Tetanus shots, but there's a different one (Tdap) for those older than 7, while those 2mo - 7 yr get another (DTaP).
With annual Flu shots, there used to be a different formulation for those under age 2, but that has changed about 2-3 years ago and now it's the same shot 6 mo - dead.

Now with Covid, there isn't any experience so I guess they just tried a slightly smaller dose (since they had to prove clinical efficacy in this age group anyway). It just made sense to try a smaller dose on younger ones and see if it generated a robust immune response, ideally with less side effects than the standard dosing. It made even more sense in this particular case since the vaccine comes in a multidose vial and you can draw up as much or as little as you need. Allowed for a lot more flexibility with dosing than if they were individual vials of vaccine.
Don't be surprised if the smaller dose is the one that eventually gets approved for booster doses even in adults -- and don't be surprised if eventually the adult dose gets dropped to this smaller one either.
The following users liked this post:
Dan (09-24-21)
Old 09-21-21, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

It does seem odd that the 5-11 dose gets dropped 2/3rds, that there's some "magic" that suddenly happens at age 12 which isn't present at age 11, regardless of weight, sex, height, or race, It seems a bit 'lazy' to me, but hey, if a 2/3rds reduced dosage can be proven as safe and *effective* as a full adult dosage of COVID vaccine, then great. The epidemiologists and immunologists working on the age 5 -11 COVID vaccine certainly waited LONG enough (over a year!), in order to empirically test this contention. I also wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if adult booster shots get this same reduction, either. But, where's the data justifying this? I know in medicine it's always "smallest dosage possible, with demonstrated full efficacy," be it medicine or vaccine. Just seems strange that we get a 66% reduction here.
Old 09-21-21, 11:10 PM

Received 538 Likes on 328 Posts

Front page of the paper had a story that it could be by Halloween for not only approval but shots. Pfizer plans to submit to FDA before the end of September.
Old 09-21-21, 11:40 PM

Front page of the paper had a story that it could be by Halloween for not only approval but shots. Pfizer plans to submit to FDA before the end of September.
Approval and shots could absolutely be the same day. Even at a lower dose, it's just a multi dose vial. My son got his Pfizer vaccine at CVS the same day it got FDA approval for 12-15.
I just don't think they would grant approval that quickly. But I would be happy to be wrong.
Old 09-22-21, 10:04 AM

If it wasn't grossly inconvenient and more than a little foolhardy for a multistate road trip, I would be honored to bring my kids to your clinic and have you personally give them their COVID-19 vaccine once it's approved.
Old 09-22-21, 10:16 AM

I would have been honored. But get it as soon as you can and conveniently as possible.
Old 09-22-21, 10:31 AM
Premium Member

Received 203 Likes on 146 Posts

This is good (forgive me if it's been posted and I missed it)

The following 3 users liked this post by The Cow:
fujishig (09-22-21), jfoobar (09-23-21), tanman (09-27-21)
Old 09-22-21, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts

Works for me. I'm ready to get shot again. Bring on the booster!
Old 09-23-21, 12:50 AM

Today's story : So today in my office I saw a 9 month old baby for a Well Child Check. This baby was a former 28 week premie (three months early, very premature). As the baby was so early, he gets a monthly shot called Synagis at the pulmonologist office. It's a very expensive treatment, $1000 per injection monthly, to prevent him from getting RSV, which is a winter-time upper respiratory virus that can make premature babies very, very sick. Now I saw this baby two weeks ago for a cold-like illness. We have one test for Covid and it's combined with a flu A & B test. No separate rapid test, just a combo from Sofia, results in 15 minutes. So I saw this kid two weeks ago, tested for Covid, Flu and RSV. Kid had Flu B.
But that was 2 weeks ago. He's better now. Here for shots and well check. So I give him his flu shot and he's doing great. Then at the end of the visit mom says she needs a Negative flu test before he can get his monthly RSV Synagis shot. Can I retest him? I say "Sure". We swab him. Test comes back Positive for RSV and Positive for Covid. I ask mom "You did get vaccinated for Covid, right?" She says "No". Of course not.
So now I have a former 28 week infant who was sitting maskless (obviously) in my Well Child Waiting Room with god knows how many other "Well" children. Now if we have someone who we think might have Covid, they wait in the car and then when a room is ready, they are shuttled in by gowned MAs wearing face shields and N95 masks. Nothing like that for this kid. At least he wasn't coughing or anything.
But it just goes to show, you can never assume you're safe unless you're fully vaccinated, and even then you've got to be careful.
Old 09-23-21, 11:55 AM

Can you describe the "No"? Was it like, "Huh? No, of course not!" or was it, "Gosh... well... no, I, I didn't..." or was it a flat, "No." How did she respond when she realized her mistake.

...Did... Did she realize her mistake?
Old 09-23-21, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 475 Likes on 305 Posts

...Did... Did she realize her mistake?
I'm going to guess she doesn't see it as a mistake. At this point, you have to be actively avoiding the vaccine.
Old 09-23-21, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 214 Likes on 150 Posts

Transmission question here...

So next week, me, my (pregnant) wife and a friend are going to a fancy, "chef's table" sort of meal, where it's roughly 20 people in a small-ish dinning room, all sorta sitting at the same table. The other people are strangers.
Now, they do require vaccines, and they're pretty militant about it, so every one there is guaranteed to be vaccinated and symptom free.

So my question is, how likely is it that someone vaccinated and asymptomatic, can pass covid to someone else who is also vaccinated?
Because were all gonna be maskless in the same small room.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.