Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Old 08-20-21, 12:49 PM
  #6451  
Moderator
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 10,722
Received 515 Likes on 310 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
The source:
Dozens!
"There are dozens of us! Dozens!"


Old 08-20-21, 01:19 PM
  #6452  
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: In mourning
Posts: 27,218
Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I just donít get the fascination with stockpiling TP. Do these people anticipate eating and shitting more while staying at home?


I am not defending hoarding, but of course they anticipate that, because that is the reality of what people do.
Old 08-20-21, 01:33 PM
  #6453  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 37,293
Received 463 Likes on 297 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

One upside for us during the pandemic was that I put bidets on both of our toilets. We use way less toilet paper than ever.
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (09-17-21)
Old 08-20-21, 02:24 PM
  #6454  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
andicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 9,651
Received 218 Likes on 180 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
It is self-fulfilling
Step 1. Some Costco shoppers complain about shortages on Twitter
Step 2. Article gets written
Step 3. Article gets picked up by multiple news websites
Step 4. Lots of people, like my wife, see the articles and immediately run to Costco, creating an artificial shortage.

Old 08-20-21, 03:59 PM
  #6455  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 22,595
Received 337 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

On the upside I used to see houses getting TP'd every now and then. That seems to have stopped.

Anyhow.. Off to Costco.. if there's a dozen there then there's probably a dozen here. Why take the chance.

Limit 2? Looks like I'll have to have some friends come with me.


Old 08-20-21, 04:08 PM
  #6456  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 66,101
Received 1,115 Likes on 832 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post


I am not defending hoarding, but of course they anticipate that, because that is the reality of what people do.
Obviously I'm exaggerating a little. But people seem to be terrified of some kind of hard lockdown like China, New Zealand or Australia, which had never happened in the 18-19 months of this. You can always leave your house to get things you need. There isn't deadly toxic COVID in the air that makes it dangerous to leave your home. I don't see the point of stockpiling 6 months to 1-year of TP or water. If anything it's becoming bad for your health to stay in too much. I know people who have put on 20-30 pounds because they've gotten lazier and have stayed home all the time, aren't active and buy take out all the time.

Hoarding is stupid and you're wasting money.
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (08-20-21)
Old 08-20-21, 05:46 PM
  #6457  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 5,566
Likes: 0
Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Have not abe to smell and taste foods for three days now, just went to my clinic had my nasal swap where they sent to the lab where I find out it I tested postive in a couple of hours. I'm fully vaccinated and I have no other symptons liked high fever, shortage of breath.
Old 08-20-21, 06:52 PM
  #6458  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,552
Received 264 Likes on 203 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by dom56 View Post
Have not abe to smell and taste foods for three days now, just went to my clinic had my nasal swap where they sent to the lab where I find out it I tested postive in a couple of hours. I'm fully vaccinated and I have no other symptons liked high fever, shortage of breath.
Strange indeed that you have no other symphoms at all. No fatigue or malaise? Please keep us informed. Hoping your lack of taste comes back very soon, as I've not heard of this being the single and only symptom of a COVID case before. COVID with no symptoms at all seems to be much more common. When were you vaccinated?
Old 08-20-21, 08:54 PM
  #6459  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 18,414
Received 814 Likes on 568 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Last Saturday we got a text message from our 4 year old sonís daycare provider telling us that 2 kids there had tested positive. We scheduled a test for my son that afternoon and he came back positive as well. His voice was a little raspy and his nose was running but that was it. I took a nasal swab test on Wednesday just to be safe. I wasnít showing any symptoms at all but I had spent the last few days snuggling with my son. Sure enough, my test came back positive this morning.

Since last night I went from having no symptoms to having a runny nose and pressure headache from my sinuses to having pretty severe body aches today and being completely wiped out. Iíve spent most of today in bed, only getting up for a few minutes here and there and being completely drained of energy each time.

Iíve been fully vaccinated since March.
Old 08-20-21, 09:14 PM
  #6460  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 41,886
Received 397 Likes on 314 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Hope you recover quickly! Delta is being an asshole.
Old 08-20-21, 09:48 PM
  #6461  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 7,752
Received 305 Likes on 221 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
"Doctors" and "experts." What do they know? I have a friend who's a nurse in a hospital and they say Covid isn't a big deal and they can just give you the antibody cocktail and get you good as new in a day or two.

Yes I've had that conversation with a woman at work as my office just mandated masks at all times now.
I have a hundred nurses that would tell her she's full of shit.

And guess what? That monoclonal antibody shot? It's out of stock. We don't have anymore. So ha.

(to clarify it's the monoclonal antibody that's used for the worst of the worst covid cases, people who are intubated or on ECMO. The outpatient mAb that's used for "high risk" patients to, hopefully, prevent hospitalization is still available)
Old 08-20-21, 09:54 PM
  #6462  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 66,101
Received 1,115 Likes on 832 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Last Saturday we got a text message from our 4 year old sonís daycare provider telling us that 2 kids there had tested positive. We scheduled a test for my son that afternoon and he came back positive as well. His voice was a little raspy and his nose was running but that was it. I took a nasal swab test on Wednesday just to be safe. I wasnít showing any symptoms at all but I had spent the last few days snuggling with my son. Sure enough, my test came back positive this morning.

Since last night I went from having no symptoms to having a runny nose and pressure headache from my sinuses to having pretty severe body aches today and being completely wiped out. Iíve spent most of today in bed, only getting up for a few minutes here and there and being completely drained of energy each time.

Iíve been fully vaccinated since March.
Very sorry to read this. I hope you and your son get better quick. I know this must be extremely frustrating to get sick when you've tried so hard to keep the illness out of your home. Feel better man.
Old 08-20-21, 09:59 PM
  #6463  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 41,886
Received 397 Likes on 314 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
I have a hundred nurses that would tell her she's full of shit.

And guess what? That monoclonal antibody shot? It's out of stock. We don't have anymore. So ha.

(to clarify it's the monoclonal antibody that's used for the worst of the worst covid cases, people who are intubated or on ECMO. The outpatient mAb that's used for "high risk" patients to, hopefully, prevent hospitalization is still available)
What are they offering at the library downtown? with the folks curled up on the floor?
Old 08-20-21, 10:34 PM
  #6464  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 7,752
Received 305 Likes on 221 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Last Saturday we got a text message from our 4 year old sonís daycare provider telling us that 2 kids there had tested positive. We scheduled a test for my son that afternoon and he came back positive as well. His voice was a little raspy and his nose was running but that was it. I took a nasal swab test on Wednesday just to be safe. I wasnít showing any symptoms at all but I had spent the last few days snuggling with my son. Sure enough, my test came back positive this morning.

Since last night I went from having no symptoms to having a runny nose and pressure headache from my sinuses to having pretty severe body aches today and being completely wiped out. Iíve spent most of today in bed, only getting up for a few minutes here and there and being completely drained of energy each time.

Iíve been fully vaccinated since March.
That sucks, sorry to hear that. Just remember it's still the true, even with delta, that most people recover and are fine. But if you have any underlying risk factors you probably would qualify for monoclonal antibody therapy.
Old 08-20-21, 10:40 PM
  #6465  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 5,566
Likes: 0
Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Strange indeed that you have no other symphoms at all. No fatigue or malaise? Please keep us informed. Hoping your lack of taste comes back very soon, as I've not heard of this being the single and only symptom of a COVID case before. COVID with no symptoms at all seems to be much more common. When were you vaccinated?
I got the test results and I'm postive so I have to be quarantine for 14 days at home. Fuck, mostly likely have to get the booster shot when I'm done.
Old 08-20-21, 10:47 PM
  #6466  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 7,752
Received 305 Likes on 221 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
What are they offering at the library downtown? with the folks curled up on the floor?
That's the outpatient monoclonal antibody. RegenCOV (casirivimab/imdevimab) It's only for patients that are not hospitalized but at risk of developing severe disease. It reduces your chance of hospitalization or death by 71% going from a 3.2% chance to 1%. It also reduces your time to symptom resolution from 14 days to 10 days. I haven't read the actual study but I believe it was done a few months ago. In otherwords before delta came into play. So it would be interesting to see if those numbers hold. I think some of the latest data suggests you have a higher chance of hospitalization with delta so it would be interesting to see if that efficacy still holds true.

https://www.fda.gov/media/145611/download

There's a different inpatient mAb that's used for patients that are intubated or on ECMO. That is Actemera (tocilizumab) which is already FDA approved for different indications but used off label for COVID. It showed a reduction in 28 day mortality going from 35% to 31%.
The following users liked this post:
RichC2 (08-20-21)
Old 08-20-21, 11:05 PM
  #6467  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 7,752
Received 305 Likes on 221 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
"Doctors" and "experts." What do they know? I have a friend who's a nurse in a hospital and they say Covid isn't a big deal and they can just give you the antibody cocktail and get you good as new in a day or two.

Yes I've had that conversation with a woman at work as my office just mandated masks at all times now.

This is also a good example of how not all health care workers have the same ability to critically analyze the data. I love nurses. Obviously we couldn't take care of any of our patient's without them. But they just don't have the same education as physicians and pharmacists when it comes to evidence based medicine. They are taught more practical applications and how to actually do the physical work necessary to take care of patients. Their education isn't as focused on things like pathophysiology or evidence based medicine to really scrutinize studies. That's why you see a lot more nurses who are antivaax. They tend to just believe what they see every day. Which is really shaped by where they work. So yeah if they aren't an ICU nurse on the COVID floor they aren't seeing the people vented and dying. So from your friend's perspective maybe the patient's she sees are getting an "antibody cocktail" and just like new in a day or two. But that's a statement that's shaped by her observational bias. But that's something that everyone has to deal with. I know I have my own observational bias influenced by the fact that I see the worst of the worst. Of course I'm a lot more likely to remember all the patients dying of COVID then the ones who are discharged and get to go home especially since I see them die when I go to codes. I wish people could see what we see in the hospital. Really see what's going on. HIPAA be damned, if they did a documentary on what these patients go through, like follow one patient and how quickly things can turn from fine to dead I think it may change a lot of people's mind about the vaccine.
The following 3 users liked this post by tanman:
AGuyNamedMike (08-23-21), danwiz (08-21-21), VinVega (08-21-21)
Old 08-21-21, 10:51 AM
  #6468  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 18,414
Received 814 Likes on 568 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Hope you recover quickly! Delta is being an asshole.
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Very sorry to read this. I hope you and your son get better quick. I know this must be extremely frustrating to get sick when you've tried so hard to keep the illness out of your home. Feel better man.
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
That sucks, sorry to hear that. Just remember it's still the true, even with delta, that most people recover and are fine. But if you have any underlying risk factors you probably would qualify for monoclonal antibody therapy.
I appreciate the well wishes. It definitely knocked me on my ass all of yesterday and Iíve still got a pounding headache today but Iím at least up an moving around.

We managed to avoid COVID for a year and a half and then it hit us hard. My wife and other two sons took their tests yesterday and weíre waiting for the results but but sons are showing symptoms so Iíll be surprised if their tests come back negative.

Delta is a bitch and itís sneaking in on kids this time. With all the nonsense going on with fighting mask mandates in schools, itís only going to get worse.
Old 08-21-21, 04:23 PM
  #6469  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
stvn1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 5,256
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

My brother just tested positive. He hacked up something at work and the sent him to get a test. So far he just has a mild cough.
Old 08-23-21, 02:26 PM
  #6470  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 6,303
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
I always figured we'd be getting some kind of annual shots (along w the flu) for a long time, possibly the rest of our lives. What's the surprise here - did people seriously not think that?
I believe Moderna is working on that now and has some kind of high-level FDA access that would help fast-track it. I don't think we will see it in 2021 but perhaps next year.

Modernaís vision is to develop a respiratory vaccine for the adult and elderly populations combining seasonal flu, COVID-19 variant booster and RSV

https://investors.modernatx.com/news...e-12-study-its
The following users liked this post:
AGuyNamedMike (09-15-21)
Old 08-23-21, 05:08 PM
  #6471  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 5,566
Likes: 0
Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Started to get my senses slowly back still some bit of cough, health care worker calling me to see if I have a high fever which I don't. Only twelve more days of this boring quarantine at home. I missed working out my gym.
Old 08-23-21, 05:37 PM
  #6472  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 41,886
Received 397 Likes on 314 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
My brother just tested positive. He hacked up something at work and the sent him to get a test. So far he just has a mild cough.
Hopefully it stayed that way. Most folks I know started with a mild cough and then things got weird, but it was usually within a few days.
Old 09-15-21, 10:32 AM
  #6473  
Moderator
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 10,722
Received 515 Likes on 310 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

I read in the Washington Post news brief, "The Seven," this morning that Pfizer is likely to submit a vaccine for emergency use authorization for children ages 5-11 in October and children younger than that soon thereafter. I cried I was so happy.
The following 6 users liked this post by story:
cultshock (09-15-21), Dan (09-15-21), danwiz (09-16-21), Deftones (09-15-21), emanon (09-15-21), Kevin Phillips (09-15-21) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-15-21, 01:09 PM
  #6474  
DVD Talk Hero
 
jfoobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 39,294
Received 156 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread



My daughter is not yet 5 but she will be soon. I definitely want to get her vaccinated before we go to Central America.
The following users liked this post:
story (09-15-21)
Old 09-15-21, 07:48 PM
  #6475  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Relocated to Bot-Hell
Posts: 10,757
Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Great, my 10 year old is ready.
The following users liked this post:
story (09-15-21)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.