COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Old 10-17-20, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 114 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
He may have died due to conditions that had nothing to do with this thread.
And you have absolutely no ulterior motive for asking the question, right? Pure as the driven snow.
Old 10-17-20, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 138 Likes on 80 Posts

First of all, it’s not speculation, the fact that it’s Covid-related was posted by his family.
Second, I’ll gladly take a suspension or whatever when I say EDIT: you’re not worth it, actually.

Last edited by Tom Banjo; 10-17-20 at 09:00 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Tom Banjo:
andicus (10-19-20), cultshock (10-17-20), Dan (10-17-20), danwiz (10-18-20), DVD Polizei (10-19-20), kefrank (10-18-20), stingermck (10-17-20), story (10-19-20) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-18-20, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

For no particular reason, I propose we make a COVID-19 NON-ASSHOLE thread too.
The following 3 users liked this post by kefrank:
andicus (10-19-20), DVD Polizei (10-19-20), Tom Banjo (10-18-20)
Old 10-18-20, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 193 Posts

I think that is impossible these days.
The following users liked this post:
DVD Polizei (10-19-20)
Old 10-19-20, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

My director said last week that we'll be working from home until at least June now. He said that any work meetings that could possibly be done remotely are to be done so, no more work related congregating. He also implored us to be very selective on what we do over the next few months with gatherings and travel. I work for a large company, and it's nice that at least up to his level, we're still treated like people and not numbers. Mostly.
Old 10-19-20, 02:41 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
I work for a large company.
What state?
Old 10-19-20, 04:16 PM

Received 207 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
I work for a large company.
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
What state?

Old 10-19-20, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Likely working from home until next summer now. I'm fine with it.. I'm in no position to complain, I couldn't imagine going through this with your career being upended. I've at least been able to have work that I still love, that gets me motivated to get up in the morning. (I start work at 6:30) I don't know if it's the fall weather or a combination of things, I've just really felt being alone more in recent weeks. We started having weekly 1 on 1 calls with our leads, and I didn't tell my lead this, but one week she was only person I talked to. I live in a condo community and it pretty much clears out during the day now, I know there are others working from home but it still feels like I'm the only one here. My family is just miles away so it's not like i'm in a bad state, just the day to day of being alone is starting to get to me.
Old 10-19-20, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
Likely working from home until next summer now. I'm fine with it. I'm in no position to complain, I couldn't imagine going through this with your career being upended. I've at least been able to have work that I still love, that gets me motivated to get up in the morning. (I start work at 6:30) I don't know if it's the fall weather or a combination of things, I've just really felt being alone more in recent weeks. We started having weekly 1 on 1 calls with our leads, and I didn't tell my lead this, but one week she was only person I talked to. I live in a condo community and it pretty much clears out during the day now, I know there are others working from home but it still feels like I'm the only one here. My family is just miles away so it's not like i'm in a bad state, just the day to day of being alone is starting to get to me.
I'm sure some of us here would be willing to chat if you needed it. I've made some real life friends from this site. I also work from home for now but my 6 year old reminds me by the minute that I am not alone.
Old 10-19-20, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
Updated case chart for US vs Europe. It's official, European Union has passed United States in case rate. Individual countries are spiking exponentially. I couldn't even put Belgium on the graph it was double everyone else and compressed the graph too much. Almost removed Netherlands for the same reason. Italy is continuing to ramp up dramatically, they will likely pass the US in another week or so.

Well... with Europe's 2nd wave in full swing, its likely only a matter of time before the numbers over here start to increase similarly. The US lagged behind Europe for the first wave, after all, no reason to expect the second would be any different. The European situation hasn't yet gotten much press - frankly, I think it doesn't fit their narrative since they can't blame the White House - but at some point the general public will start to notice and will sense that a 2nd wave here is imminent. Couple that with the promise of civil unrest that one side has committed to deliver if they don't get what they want on Election Tuesday.... well, I'm not a prepper, but right now might be a good time for y'all to think about taking an afternoon off to go visit Costco or Sams Club to pick up a few things that might be scarce in a week or two - just in case there's another run on the stores, or if the supply chain gets upset again like it did in March/April.
Old 10-19-20, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
I'm sure some of us here would be willing to chat if you needed it. I've made some real life friends from this site. I also work from home for now but my 6 year old reminds me by the minute that I am not alone.
We should do a DVDTalk virtual night. This has made me realize what an asshole I am. I lived in the same city and been relatively close to a number of Otters over the years, but have never made time to meet anybody in the real world.
Old 10-19-20, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Scary times ahead. In some ways, I think we're in just as frightful a state as we were at the height of the Cold War.

Of course there will be a 2nd wave... and a 3rd, and 4th.... and on and on, until we've achieved either complete herd immunity or a universally effective vaccine, which 90%+ of people avail themselves of.

With so many working from home, into the shorter and short Fall and Winter days, Season Affective Disorder is sure to rise, as well as melancholia and depression in general. I'm "lucky" in that my WORST time of the year for depression, summer, is ending, so I'm looking very much forward in spirit and practive to the shorter, cooler, more brisk days of late Fall and Winter. My personal outlook is, paradoxically at a much higher plane now, because of a simple thing like the prospect of some cooler days and some longer nights...

But, I'm 100% confident that we have troubled, troubled times ahead in the next two months... increase in COVID cases, financial market scramble for cash (= extremely market high volatility, no secure place to put your money and be sure of any kind of return) due to the election, a new, unknown President, the strife and riots from "the other side" creating absolutely dividedness in our Couinty, when what we really need is increased sense of togetherness.... And the list goes on....

But, I say, "What the fuck can *I* do about it??!!" So, I'll continue to exist and be grateful for the big things, like good health, shelter, and freedom from want. I'll be living very frugally and a bit penurously, however. Just because it makes sense now in light of what the future holds, to have PLENTY left for that rainy day, which is going to turn into a "rainy year" and perhaps a "rainy decade"!
Old 10-19-20, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by story View Post
But does he work with TOP MEN?

The following users liked this post:
story (10-19-20)