Reload this Page >

COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Old 03-19-20, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

China caused this problem and they must not be allowed to shape the narrative as they are trying to attempt a cover up.
Old 03-19-20, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Have to hand it to you (thumbs up) that post is the definition of "hollow".
Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Off to a great start boys.
Aww pumpkin.
Old 03-19-20, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

The China stuff seems political. Shouldn't this thread focus on what we need to do here, and leave the bickering between nations in the political thread?
The following 6 users liked this post by spainlinx0:
Dan (03-19-20), kefrank (03-19-20), Nefarious (03-19-20), nemein (03-19-20), tanman (03-19-20), VinVega (03-19-20) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-19-20, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 124 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
Italy's numbers continue to skyrocket despite being locked down two weeks. Does this mean our mitigation efforts are kinda hopeless? This damn bug is going have its way.
Depends on what part of the country you're in. Some states' lockdowns are more extreme than others. We really won't see how effective our efforts are for a few more weeks, too -- we're in store for some alarming numbers.

Also keep in mind that Northern Italy has high population density, lots of multi-generation homes, Italians tend to be more touchy-feely than Americans, and they use mass transit more -- all things that contribute to this virus' spread.

The China stuff seems political. Shouldn't this thread focus on what we need to do here, and leave the bickering between nations in the political thread?
You're probably right. I shouldn't have contributed to that thread derailment, although what is happening in China does have a direct effect on us economically.
Old 03-19-20, 02:25 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
Yeah no kidding with an early thaw here it kicks mine into gear. A cough or sneeze in public might get you beaten...

What you need is at 2:42 of this video:

Old 03-19-20, 02:32 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
100% agreed. I would think that includes "helpful" videos that are mostly about a country's narrative (ie. Media bias).
​​​​​
Old 03-19-20, 02:33 PM

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Old 03-19-20, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
China caused this problem and they must not be allowed to shape the narrative as they are trying to attempt a cover up.
You may want to reread the thread title there ...
Old 03-19-20, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Our hospital just put up a huge tent in it’s parking lot. I’m assuming to receive virus patients. The surrounding counties including mind don’t have many positives as of now.
Old 03-19-20, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
I'm wondering when wearing masks in public is going to become less of a taboo thing. The Asian countries who seem to be "beating" the virus right now share one trait: mask use is common and encouraged.
I don't give a shit what people think of me - I had an N95 here already and wore it out yesterday for some critical errands. One guy at Menard's was kind of giving me a shit attitude over it but fuck him. Better safe than sorry.
Old 03-19-20, 03:02 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends on what part of the country you're in. Some states' lockdowns are more extreme than others. We really won't see how effective our efforts are for a few more weeks, too -- we're in store for some alarming numbers.

Also keep in mind that Northern Italy has high population density, lots of multi-generation homes, Italians tend to be more touchy-feely than Americans, and they use mass transit more -- all things that contribute to this virus' spread.
Yeah good point. I need to watch more periscope than media to get a real sense of what's going on from the ground level. You get to see life directly from people in any country in the world. Highly recommend this downloading this app.

It's looking like the numbers are going to double every day. Probably be 100K US infections a week from now.

Old 03-19-20, 03:06 PM

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

For the first time ever, I'm looking forward to a long hot summer here in Florida. We're hitting 90 degrees next week.

New study says 'high temperature and high relative humidity significantly reduce' spread of COVID-19
https://www.accuweather.com/en/healt...ovid-19/703418
Old 03-19-20, 03:09 PM

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post
Our hospital just put up a huge tent in it’s parking lot.
Hospitals around here are setting up drive-thru testing in their parking lots.
Old 03-19-20, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Italy's numbers continue to skyrocket despite being locked down two weeks. Does this mean our mitigation efforts are kinda hopeless? This damn bug is going have its way.
It's a mix of long incubation and lack of testing. Italy is still well below South Korea in terms of testing.

They stated last week that they expect to level off around 90,000 sick due to their current actions, with 360,000 in quarantine. They anticipate today to be their worse day. Hope they're right.

The US finally crossed 100 deaths on Tuesday and will likely be at 200 on Friday.
Old 03-19-20, 03:31 PM

Received 124 Likes on 69 Posts

Maybe the TP hoarders are on to something ...

Almost half of coronavirus patients have digestive symptoms, study finds
Old 03-19-20, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

People have been waiting for the first big name to die from the virus. Well, that name just came out: Playboy Magazine.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/playboy...s-coronavirus/

Old 03-19-20, 03:37 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
People have been waiting for the first big name to die from the virus. Well, that name just came out: Playboy Magazine.

RIP.
Thanks for the mammaries.
Old 03-19-20, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 95 Likes on 49 Posts

All Texas public schools are to be closed through at least April 3, per the governor's declaration today.
Old 03-19-20, 03:54 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Holy shit.
Old 03-19-20, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Use this thread for NON-POLITICAL discussion of COVID-19.
Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
For the creation of this thread.
Originally Posted by SunMonkey View Post
I agree. The echo chamber in the other thread was a bit much.
Yes! Thanks for this non-political thread, Groucho.

I've been listening to several radio programs which have been having doctors as guests to answer questions about the Coronavirus. They have stated that the vast majority of Italians infected with the virus who have passed away were elderly people who had preexisting health problems. (Diabetes, heart disease, asthma, etc.)

The two people who died from the virus in Los Angeles county also had preexisting health problems.

https://ktla.com/news/coronavirus/1s...ead-suspected/

https://laist.com/latest/post/202003...ty-los-angeles

It should be noted that the first person was not a resident of Los Angeles county, but was visiting. (I say this because out of a population of almost 10 and a half million people in Los Angeles county only one person has died from the virus...which is pretty remarkable for a pandemic of this size. Also, it is person with underlying health problems.)

It seems to me that many people may get the virus in the U.S., but the death rate is not climbing rapidly.

Old 03-19-20, 04:00 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

But, but... how do we know that those being diagnosed positive actually have the CORONA-19 virus? Listen, at the end of 2018 beginning of 2019 I had the worst influenza that led to the most nastiest bacterial infection that I've ever had in my life, I was dying, at least it felt like I was, I couldn't breath, constantly coughing like Walter White. After weeks of numerous rounds of different antibiotic treatments and X-Rays it wasn't until my doctor prescribed a Z-Pack that I finally won the battle. Thankfully, I was still in my 40's and super healthy (run 5 miles, 5 days a week) leading up to getting that flu, BUT if I was in my late 60's or early 70's I know I would have been dead for sure because my body was not winning the battle until the last ditch effort of that Z-Pack took over.

Now, how do we know every single "Coronavirus" case is actually that and not just an extreme version of the common flu that I had myself just a year ago? After living through that I now know why tens of thousands die from the common flu each year. Obviously testing, would indicate but how accurate or how many could be false positives for CORONA-19? Just playing devils advocate. I only say this because one or two new cases are being reported in the LA area each day, well then why isn't it thousands? With such a densely populated area you'd think it would spread like wild fire instead we are getting one or two "randos" coming down with it, it just doesn't make any sense. Quite the opposite was that nursing home in Washington, where it did run through it effecting a number of people.

Wash your hands people, so many times I'll be in the bathroom at the sink soaping up and I'll watch guys just walk right out who don't even bother rinsing their hands, fucking savages. First of all you just handled your junk, and God only knows where that thing has been (most likely only their own hand but still) it's just good hygiene and common sense. Hopefully the one good thing that can come from this is educating the public on just how important it is to wash your God damn hands, often!

God speed DVDTalkers!
Old 03-19-20, 04:01 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
It's a mix of long incubation and lack of testing. Italy is still well below South Korea in terms of testing.
Very true. It took South Korea 2 weeks from lock-down to see a reduction in new infections, but even after 4 weeks the number of deaths has gone down a bit but remains high. Once Covid-19 hits a person, the risk of death remains for quite a while (thus increasing burden on the health care system).

Old 03-19-20, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing View Post

Man, first Mad and now Playboy. Teenage me would have been heartbroken to hear about the passing of both.
Old 03-19-20, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 159 Posts

I'm wondering when wearing masks in public is going to become less of a taboo thing. The Asian countries who seem to be "beating" the virus right now share one trait: mask use is common and encouraged.

Of course, nobody can find masks in the U.S. right now as we're experiencing a global shortage.

And here's some science for you:

Professional and Home-Made Face Masks Reduce Exposure to Respiratory Infections among the General Population

Ummm, no. The countries “beating it” acted promptly and went into “draconian lockdowns.” The countries getting their proverbial toilet paperless asses wiped are the ones who went about business as normal.
Old 03-19-20, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 132 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by hal9000 View Post
But, but... how do we know that those being diagnosed positive actually have the CORONA-19 virus? Listen, at the end of 2018 beginning of 2019 I had the worst influenza that led to the most nastiest bacterial infection that I've ever had in my life, I was dying, at least it felt like I was, I couldn't breath, constantly coughing like Walter White. After weeks of numerous rounds of different antibiotic treatments and X-Rays it wasn't until my doctor prescribed a Z-Pack that I finally won the battle. Thankfully, I was still in my 40's and super healthy (run 5 miles, 5 days a week) leading up to getting that flu, BUT if I was in my late 60's or early 70's I know I would have been dead for sure because my body was not winning the battle until the last ditch effort of that Z-Pack took over.

Now, how do we know every single "Coronavirus" case is actually that and not just an extreme version of the common flu that I had myself just a year ago? After living through that I now know why tens of thousands die from the common flu each year. Obviously testing, would indicate but how accurate or how many could be false positives for CORONA-19? Just playing devils advocate. I only say this because one or two new cases are being reported in the LA area each day, well then why isn't it thousands? With such a densely populated area you'd think it would spread like wild fire instead we are getting one or two "randos" coming down with it, it just doesn't make any sense. Quite the opposite was that nursing home in Washington, where it did run through it effecting a number of people.

Wash your hands people, so many times I'll be in the bathroom at the sink soaping up and I'll watch guys just walk right out who don't even bother rinsing their hands, fucking savages. First of all you just handled your junk, and God only knows where that thing has been (most likely only their own hand but still) it's just good hygiene and common sense. Hopefully the one good thing that can come from this is educating the public on just how important it is to wash your God damn hands, often!

God speed DVDTalkers!
To my knowledge there's not widespread testing of the virus unless you have symptoms, so I'm not sure how we know that more people don't have it?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.