COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Old 03-23-20, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 156 Likes on 85 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post

It feels weird doing my job 18 inches away from where I sleep at night...
When I'm at work, I type with both hands.
Old 03-23-20, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
There used to be a member of Other who borrowed $1.2M to buy an apartment building. It was a good deal, and the rents would cover his payments.

If he forgives the rent for his 200 tenants, how is he going to make his payments? Is the bank he borrowed from likely to give him a free ride? After all, the bank isn't a Scrooge McDuck vault of money. They have to make payments to everyone who has a CD or a savings account.

Blaming the landlords is a common tactic for demagogues on the left, but it isn't honest. Landlords are part of a bigger system of cash flow.
My point exactly. It isn't about the landlords, it's about the precident that would be set if people find out that they get to mooch without paying rent. 10% will really need it (be homeless otherwise), but the other 90% will not, and that shouldn't be allowed to happen. Otherwise we'll be in very deep caca all the way around. This is really an apolitical issue, screw the right and the left, we don't need a large contingent of the population becoming worse than useless just because they can.
Old 03-23-20, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
Neighborhoods around here are starting to organize outdoor coronavirus gatherings, with the intent of keeping everyone six feet apart, but maintaining social contact and a sense of community. While the thought behind it is nice, this feels like a terrible idea. I envision people being way too close and turning the whole neighborhood into an outbreak cluster. My family will not be attending.
Awful idea for now. Why push it? Just stay inside. When people really start getting sick, they'll think differently. This isn't a party or a game, folks. Just because you feel well and want to go out doesn't mean that you should, nor it contributing to doing public good in fighting this damn virus. I know we are social beings, but why can't we cooperate when told to not go out except for "essential" errands. Neighborhood block parties are not essential errands. They'll just contribute to spreading exposure contact to COVID-19.
Old 03-23-20, 09:58 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
I think it's because they don't want new jobs starting up just yet, but maybe they are lacking inspectors. Not sure about that. I have plenty of work for a couple of months, as I've been behind on orders all year. So in that sense I feel fortunate. But probably will be a lull when I catch up if few new orders come in.
i hope you have enough work to keep yourself and your workers busy until this blows over. I am the biggest admirer of people in construction. I like to do DIY work but often make a big mess and need the pros to come in to rescue. They take 10 minutes to fix what I can't do in 5 hours (and that includes the time to undo my mistake and laugh ).
Old 03-23-20, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Anyone have any information about the reinfection rates of people who had contracted COVID-19 and have recovered? If people can contract the virus again within a short period of time, then social distancing and quarantining of people seems like it would turn into being an ever-repeating loop.

Best I can find is this article from March 20th:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...-coronavirusHe
...he wouldn't guess how long their immunity might last.What's more, some people might have stronger protection from reinfection than others.

"Based on other infections where you get a deep lung infection, you are usually protected against the second infection. If you just have a mild COVID-19 infection that involves your upper airway, maybe it will behave like a common cold coronavirus and maybe you can be reinfected again," says Perlman. "We just really don't know. It's even hard to speculate."
Old 03-24-20, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Franchot View Post
Anyone have any information about the reinfection rates of people who had contracted COVID-19 and have recovered? If people can contract the virus again within a short period of time, then social distancing and quarantining of people seems like it would turn into being an ever-repeating loop.

Best I can find is this article from March 20th:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...-coronavirusHe
The reinfection rate potential is probably right in front of us with the numbers we got. I don't see China having another explosion of cases. But it might be no different than various flu strains that are out there, and the world choosing which ones to be vaccinated against.

What is known about SARS-CoV-2 (which is more accurate really), is that if you maintain a healthy immune system...you'll beat it in days. Even starting a regular exercise routine NOW, expanding your lungs and moving more oxygen and nitrogen in and throughout your body...will do better than most medical stop-gap cures. The virus specifically attacks your lungs.

SARS-CoV-2 is actually harmless if it stays in the nose and throat...just like the flu. The issue is when it gets to the lungs via unhealthy and low immune system pathways where there is no resistance. Having healthy lungs pushes the virus back and once the days pass, the virus dies as it can't replicate efficiently to survive.

Also, now that I've seen this in action, I think mechanical ventilators might be more risky for patients due to the moist environment they create and now we have a secondary bacterial infection attacking the respiratory tract stem cells...which basically makes it even harder to breathe. Hospitals must be extra vigilant in making sure this secondary bacteria is not present in the ventilators. In normal situations, it would be somewhat tolerable as these bacteria are always in hospital environments. But with SARS-CoV-2, it doesn't take much to take over.

Also, same goes for the O2 tanks and masks that are being used in lieu of not having enough ventilators. The mask can get too moist and has to be cleaned very frequently to stop the re-inhalation of the virus and/or inhaling it deeper down into the body with every breath.
The following 2 users liked this post by DVD Polizei:
bruceames (03-24-20), Franchot (03-24-20)
Old 03-24-20, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

What is the real take away from a negative test result? A negative test result today doesn't mean that a person won't be infected a week from now, right?

And does a positive test result drive any decisions beyond extra isolation?

Also, Is it known yet if there is immunity after recovery?

​​​​​​​
Old 03-24-20, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by feenst View Post
What is the real take away from a negative test result? A negative test result today doesn't mean that a person won't be infected a week from now, right?

Also, Is it known yet if there is immunity after recovery?​​​​​​​
I believe so. It's my understanding at this point, that if you're negative today for the Covid-19 virus, in the next week you could come in contact with someone or a surface that has the virus and then you could potentially acquire the virus. (I think that is what hal9000 was talking about in his post about Social Distancing can only do so much. If you're out shopping at a supermarket, you're likely to be in closer proximity to people and touch products that might have been touched by other potential carriers of the virus.)

I was also curious about immunity after recovery. I heard unsubstantiated reports that some people who had recovered from the virus and tested negative were later tested again, but had positive tests come back. These people were asymptomatic, but were carriers of the virus. Again, this is all UNSUBSTANTIATED. I am looking for published conclusive information about immunity after recovery.
Old 03-24-20, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 808 Likes on 593 Posts

I was also curious about immunity after recovery. I heard unsubstantiated reports that some people who had recovered from the virus and tested negative were later tested again, but had positive tests come back. These people were asymptomatic, but were carriers of the virus. Again, this is all UNSUBSTANTIATED. I am looking for published conclusive information about immunity after recovery.
I don't think there's been any conclusive data about reinfection. I did read that it is believed that the people who recovered (tested negative) and then tested positive again are because the test that came back negative was inaccurate.

We probably won't get any hard information about the likelihood of reinfection for a while. We're still in the early stages of this pandemic.

There's also the possibility that this virus will keep mutating like HIV. (Though HIV does mutate rapidly, there also other factors that make it nearly impossible to vaccinate against.)
Old 03-24-20, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 448 Likes on 328 Posts

On the local news segment on the radio, they just confirmed something I had been wondering about ... my county’s numbers on “outstanding tests” DO NOT reflect tests ordered by the hospitals, only tests administered by the health department. So, those numbers are useless for getting any accurate measure.
Old 03-24-20, 10:27 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by feenst View Post

And does a positive test result drive any decisions beyond extra isolation?

Also, Is it known yet if there is immunity after recovery?
Some answers in this video (start at 1:00). Short answer: Immunity after recovery is likely but need more data to be sure (That doesn't mean a person can give antibodies to someone else by a blood transfusion as some have suggested).

Old 03-24-20, 11:12 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 533 Likes on 382 Posts

It's still early days (for us, anyway), but ideally you want the "doubled in..." days to be higher, not lower.

I sorted by "daily new confirmed deaths" because I think it's important to see where most of the deaths are occurring now, as opposed to smaller numbers where things are either just getting started or alternatively, where things have petered off (China, S.Korea, etc.)

(this is from the 4th link in the wikipost)

Old 03-24-20, 11:24 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I sorted by "daily new confirmed deaths" because I think it's important to see where most of the deaths are occurring now, as opposed to smaller numbers where things are either just getting started or alternatively, where things have petered off (China, S.Korea, etc.)
Could you filter out those who were "going to die soon anyway" so we know how much we should care?
Old 03-24-20, 11:32 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 533 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Could you filter out those who were "going to die soon anyway" so we know how much we should care?
I know some forum members post sociopathic nonsense, but may I kindly suggest the rest of us... not... do that. It only encourages them.
The following users liked this post:
sracer (03-24-20)
Old 03-24-20, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,181 Likes on 877 Posts

https://deadline.com/2020/03/chinese...ne-1202890828/

Wuhan, where this whole thing started from, will have it's quarantine lifted in 2 weeks.
Old 03-24-20, 12:20 PM

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Going to the store was a bit absurd. I get the "social distancing" ... but seeing people not go down an aisle because your in it... or running past you because they don't want to be near you is an interesting sight to see...
Old 03-24-20, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 226 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle View Post
Should we just start executing people who are old and sick? They're gonna die anyway, why even waste an aspirin on them?
That was Italy's approach.
Old 03-24-20, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,181 Likes on 877 Posts

I went to Wells Fargo bank just now and they are in full social distancing mode. Only 10 people allowed in the lobby at one time and they have an attendant at the door. You have to line up outside and stand apart from each other.

Some of the bankers have masks with gloves.

People are just running out or try to walk away and avoid people. Feels so weird.
Old 03-24-20, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I had to visit a hospital today for work, and it was a very surreal experience. COVID tent outside, hardly anybody inside the main building (you could only enter if you had business), staff all wearing masks, required hand sanitation as you went from building to building, enforced social distancing, etc.
Intermountain Medical Center? Iím there everyday, itís a ghost town now. Iím sure all hospitals are now...locked down.
Old 03-24-20, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 175 Likes on 98 Posts

A guy walked past me at the grocery store coughing into his hand. I wanted to slap the fool.

Saw a husband and wife shopping together. The wife had gloves on but the husband didn't. I later saw the couple at the checkout stand, and the man was rubbing his bare hand all over his face, totally undermining his wife's precautions.
Old 03-24-20, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I went to Wells Fargo bank just now and they are in full social distancing mode. Only 10 people allowed in the lobby at one time and they have an attendant at the door. You have to line up outside and stand apart from each other.

Some of the bankers have masks with gloves.

People are just running out or try to walk away and avoid people. Feels so weird.
TD Bank is drive through only. Lobby is locked You can make an appointment if you have to go and see a banker. Started Saturday.
Old 03-24-20, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,328 Posts

I think you need to wrap your head around "avoidable causes of death vs unavoidable causes". COVID-19 is (ideally) and avoidable cause of death, so let's try our best to avoid it.
Old 03-24-20, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 355 Likes on 260 Posts

Oh for fucksake, I'm going to stick to reading the political thread, this one is becoming a waste of time.
Dan (03-24-20)
Old 03-24-20, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 156 Likes on 85 Posts

Holy Hell, I'm sure glad I got the "Angel of Death" on ignore! Stop quoting him, you people!!

Back from Costco! Very strange to see the parking lot only about half full - at 10:00. Expected Black Friday crowds. Sadly, no TP or Kleenex. But I got food, which was my main reason for going.
majorjoe23 (03-24-20)
Old 03-24-20, 01:48 PM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by covenant View Post
Intermountain Medical Center? Iím there everyday, itís a ghost town now. Iím sure all hospitals are now...locked down.
U Hospital but yeah Iím sure everywhereís the same...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.